Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    since end of July all 2.5i Ltd should be coming with VDC (model 8DG), they stopped making them without VDC after that time. its possible they may have an early production version (8DF) from before this time on their lot.
  • Stacie:

No I didn't have to try to get them to lower the price - but you may ask to see "if they can do any better".

Your welcome. Yeah... it came w/ VDC (which I think is a "must have" option)... I'm think the cash back offer from Subaru is less right now... then what I got. sounds like a great deal. Most LTDs I've saw had the VDC and remote start. The vehicle w/ those options for the $25500 sounds good if it works for you.

Valley Subaru was by far the most efficient, straight-forward dealerships. I couldn't believe that the Aurora dealer or other dealers were asking me repeatedly which model and color I wanted and Valley was giving me EXACT prices - which is EXACTLY what I paid. I found that to be very rare... hence these postings! :)

Good luck.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,451
    Cash back offer for September is $1000 for the '08s (Not XT), according to a solicitation I received from a Subaru dealership yesterday.
  • Subaru is giving $750 on 08 XTs in my market (Colorado). Easiest if you simply check on their website... they update their rebates/cash back every month.
  • fxoffroad:

What color LTD did you get and did your final price reflect the $1000 rebate?

Thanks

Ross in NM
  • I am also in Colorado and have decided to make my Outback purchase with the dealer in Colorado Springs. Number 1 in sales for Subaru and a large inventory. They have always answered my calls and email quickly and have provided below invoice prices on not only cars they have in stock, but also cars in stock at other dealers. Did not try Valley since they did not have the Outback in stock that I wanted.

As far as other dealers in Colorado it has been interesting. Did use the Subaru site to ask for prices at 3 dealers on cars they had in stock. One in the mtns waited a week to reply and never offered a price. The one in GJ called within an hour, but the saleswoman admitted she had only been working there 2 weeks and when I asked for a price she guessed it was MSRP; she did call back and offer invoice. The third request was to Golden where I previously bought Subaru's and have had my service done. They never offered a price, but I did get a test drive; after going through 4-5 salesmen. Also used Edmunds to ask for prices from Golden and Boulder; 10 days later and no reply from either.
  • The internet sales at the dealership I'm looking at quoted me for a 2.5i which comes with the cold weather package. He said "our cost is 22,200 and
    we would ask to make at least a small profit on it." (destination/deliv charge included in that price.). I'm not looking at VDC and I hope that's the right decision. I'm not sure if that 22K included the rebate but I would assume not, as I just read about it here.
    Excuse my newbie-ness, but I'm going in today to drive the thing and have my Sienna LE looked at for trade in (I know I have to look it up in the KBB first, however).
    Any thoughts on what I should offer? I am paying CASH plus the trade in. No financing.
  • Valley Subaru in Longmont didn't have the Limited I wanted either... but they got the exact car I wanted and the had the lowest price - which is exactly what I paid when I took delivery.

I was very surprised by dealers in the Denver area - like Burt Subaru who until last week were still sending me e-mails to see what color and model I wanted (I had always responded w/ the details), so it was a crock. I drove an Outback LTD @ the Golden dealership. Walked right in and the sales manager got me a plate and handed me the keys... I asked if I could take it up on 70 and he said go to Idaho Springs if you like by myself. That was sweet and honestly that was the deciding moment for me. Unfortunately they never gave me pricing on the vehicle.

Shorline in Aurora came in second place - but couldn't match the price from Valley in Longmont. And I don't understand why Shortline needs to put pinstriping on every Outback. The other dealers, Flatirons, etc... just plain bad.
  • Not that its my business or concern... but why would you not want a vehicle with stability control (VDC)? I think that is something that should be on every vehicle.
  • VDC is simply not available on the 2.5i; you have to get the Limited package for that. Since the Limited package also "gives" you leather, moonroof and other pricey but non-essential features, demanding VDC raises your costs.

To get VDC and a stick shift, you have to choose the Outback XT. Now you are in a different TCO ballgame.
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    you can get a 2.5 "base" LL Bean with VDC, you get the nav but not the leather and sunroof. But it is auto only and only about 1 grand less than a 2.5i Ltd VDC (which has no nav).
  • There are too many 4 cylinder Outback styles. Basic < 2.5i < LLBean < LLBean VDC < Limited < Limited VDC < LLBean Limited < LLBean Limited VDC < XT < XT Nav.

If you want to confuse matters more you could stick the Impreza-based Outback "Sport" to the left of the "Basic"! But at least now Outbacks are wagons and Legacies are sedans.
  • Too many? I don't think so. For comparison off the top of my head... try the Ford Super Duty series of trucks. There are six models that can configured in a variety of ways. I commend Subaru for offering as these vehicles. Or do you prefer the Honda method of providing less variations than Subaru? :confuse:
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,376
    I think the truck market and expectations of their buyers, with regards to options and packages, are very different to the average buyer of a mid-sized sedan or wagon. Few commercial buyers looking at Outbacks.

I agree that Subaru's Outback line is pretty confusing to a new buyer. VDC becomes standard on Limiteds made after July, so that knocks one model out. To me, it should look like basic/2.5i/LL Bean/LL Bean Ltd. The standard Limited is just another layer that splits things too thin. Plus, I have always thought that the XT and 3.0R just steal sales from each other. They are featured too closely and priced too similarly. If they MUST have both, decontent the XT and give it lower the price of entry. Emphasize sport. Bump up the output of the 3.0R and make it the flagship. Emphasize luxury.

But at the top, I still think they only need one...
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    They should simplify it by making VDC standard (overdue IMO) and then making GPS a stand-alone option.
  • I posted this under an existing post regarding buying an older Subaru but was afraid it would get buried and not read.
    I have an opportunity to buy a 1998 Subaru Legacy/Outback Limited. It is a one owner car, has 77,100 miles on it. Has been well maintained according to the carfax report. Available thru an independent garage/auto sales shop. Owner of the shop is a friend. This car is in EXCELLENT condition inside and out. Friend said he would put it on the lot for 8500.00. He would sell it to me for 7395.00 plus dealer prep and tax. This would replace my Chevy Cavalier that has 127,000 miles on it and has begun to cost me money. Plus I live in CT and could use the AWD. I've driven it and it seems great but I am not a mechanic. I don't hear any obvious loud noices. Owned a 1983 GL Sedan for 9 years. Loved the car but hated the rust and the Y pipe that I had to replace twice. Traded that one in with 95,000 miles on it. Friend says Subaru got rid of the Y pipe.
    So, I'm asking for you Subaru guru's opinions.
    This seems like a great deal to me...what say you?
    Deal or No Deal?
    Thanks in advance for your valued opinions.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    That's a bit high for a 10 year old car. Even a subaru. I'd offer him $4500-5000 for it max.

-mike
  • Thanks for the feedback Mike. The Kelly's Blue Book site gave me a price of 10,000. as far as what a dealer might ask for a car with the above specs. Said that is where you can start haggling. I ran it by another site (can't remember which one) and it came up with 9300.00. I thought those were WAY high. Wasn't sure about 7395.00. The guy had 3 calls on it when it was on the lot for 8500.00 so I may just let it go. Tom said I'd get another 100,000 miles on it easy. I've been reading a lot in here since Friday trying to get an idea on reliability. Thanks again for your time.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    You'll get 100k more out of it, but just can't see paying that much for a 10 year old car. :(

-mike
    Just for reference, I sold my 98 Forester L with 78k miles for $5550, and people thought I did well getting that much.

The price does sound a tad high. The Outback cost maybe a grand or two more when new, so figure $6-7 grand is all the money on that car.
    Is this one a Limited? What is your region? I was going to pay 5K for a '96 Outback (not limited) in Anchorage this spring, but the seller jumped ship when I mentioned that my price agreement was contingent upon inspecting it to verify no head gasket leaks or severe oil leaks from the cam seals and valve cover gaskets. I thought everything was in order, drove to Anchorage, gave the guy a call, and found out he had sold it to somebody else the day before. I suspect that buyer was stuck with a car with "issues."

'98 is two years newer and about the same mileage as this '96 was, so I could see paying 6500-7000 for it up here in Alaska. Since it is with a dealer, you might get stuck paying a bit of a markup. 10,000 KBB?! I keep falling back to thinking it must be a Limited (leather seats, dual moonroof, etc). Maybe not, though.

If the headgaskets and transmission are in good order, the car should serve you well. Do not pay too much heed to the "I could sell it for..." nonsense. Figure out how much it is worth to you, offer that, and if the dealer can get more for it, it will be sold to someone else. If not, he will come groveling back to you.
  • It is a limited but no moon roof. The guy is a mechanic with his own shop and sells a few used cars. Supposedly clean and mechanically sound. I think I will make an offer on this one and leave it if it does not work out. I am in New England and could use the AWD.
    Thanks for your time and opinion.
    Hmm, I think Outback Limiteds always had moonroofs.

Maybe this is aftermarket leather, or a dealer package of some sort?
  • Decided on an XT in Diamond Gray Metallic. Without nav there are only a few around within hundreds of miles. With nav there are zilch! But, my local dealer has a silver with nav newly arrived. Hmmm...
    Skip the NAV, get the DGM, and put in a portable unit down the road. It will save you money and you will have more flexibility with the unit you do end up putting in the car.
    I thought that as well. No matter, it looks like you have a plan of action nonetheless! I hope it works out for you.
    I wonder if a Garmin Nuvi or a Tom Tom One would fit in that dash-top Bin. That would be neat if it did.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,447

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• There are only a few of us interested in the XT model line and the inventory reflects it. It is funny, I am in NH, the heart of Subaru Country, and there is always very little inventory.

Just for the h*ll of it, search XT inventory in Seattle- they are STOCKED!

I am still deciding between the XT with Nav or the 5-speed. I still want the 5-speed, but don't know if I need/want the Nav...
  • I just bought an 08 XT without nav. I decided the cost was not worth it, plus I've read many negative comments on the usability of the Subaru nav UI. You can always add a portable nav product to the dash, and even move it between cars, or even hike with it!

I got the Diamond Gray Metallic and I love it! Simply a beautiful car. Just what I wanted. Sporty with turbo yet Subaru practical. So far it drives fantastic. Only a few miles on it, but a pleasure all around.

I originally looked at the Tribeca (I was trading up from a 2002 Outback), but in the end like the size and layout of the Outback better. And the XT is more fun to drive. The Tribeca almost seemed hard to manage when starting on the gas. It seemed to want to get and go quick.

I wonder who the typical buyer is of the XT is and why they chose it? Since we are such a small lot. For me, the standard 4 cylinder was always somewhat anemic. My 2002 had the H6 which was plenty strong, yet still not sporty or quick. The XT seems to offer the best combination. I love how the turbo starts to kick in and you feel sucked along and up in speed. :)