Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Prius

Comments

• Options
    wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    Someone advertised a used 2004 Prius with a couple hundred miles. He or she wanted 28k.

Is that how much they go for, even loaded up?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    No, that's more than the MSRP for a fully loaded Prius. Someone is thinking they can entice a buyer to pay over MSRP in order to get a Prius right away.
  • Options
    bista98bista98 Member Posts: 1
    I got the Prius with the ivory interior. I am wondering what to do to control the dirt of the interior. Car seat covers (where/what kind to get)? What can be used to clean it? What is everyone else doing??????
  • Options
    salsipuedessalsipuedes Member Posts: 1
    I decided to replace my 1995 Camry with a new Toyota and started to search the new models available. I was thinking a new 4Runner, a Highlander or maybe another Camry. The 2004 Prius caught my attention. It had never occurred to me to buy a hybrid vehicle. But the more I read, the more a 2004 Prius made sense. It was a new car with great options. The trouble was, every dealer I phoned said all of their new Prius vehicles were pre-sold. The dealers that I contacted expected me to commit to an order “sight untouched” if I wanted to order one of these new automobiles. Most dealers did not even have a vehicle to look at and one dealer that did said the seats had been removed to replace with leather seats.

I live in a rural area on the Monterey Bay, near Santa Cruz, within a 1 ½ hour drive of maybe 18 Toyota dealers. Finally, on October 25, I read an advertisement for a dealer that had a vehicle available for a test drive. It was an exceptional car and a great drive. I ordered one and will pay MSRP. The Dealer is a volume dealer in the San Francisco bay area of northern California and expects delivery of my Prius between December 8 to the 15. If you can call any current vehicle a green vehicle then the Prius is a green vehicle. Emissions are low. It has great gas mileage. It handles well and it has cool options; Bluetooth and voice commands. It is going to be hard not to feel superior to every other driver on the highway, especially those SUV’s. Especially when I’m stuck in traffic and I’m not using gasoline.

Yesterday I started to read this message list. If green technology starts to speak to you, saving the planet, or just doing your share, then the Prius is a vehicle worth considering. I did not feel I was making any compromise or settling for less than I wanted. This was the vehicle that I wanted.

In my reading of this message list, John1701A has given frequent posts. To my knowledge, and of the extensive reading that I’ve done, and the test drive I took, he is right-on. He is a hybrid vehicle geek, which in California means devoted and knowlegeable. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    51jerryp51jerryp Member Posts: 6
    I took delivery of my 2004 Prius yesterday and it is even more than I expected. The car is the quietest, smoothest vehicle I have ever driven or rode in and the comfort is amazing. There is so much room for both passengers and 'stuff', I think you could use the term 'EUV' for it - Eco-Utility Vehicle. I didn't get the top-of-the-line option package since I have no real desire for DVD navigation (sometimes you find the neatest spots when you're lost!) or voice activated commands (my wife gives those!) but the AM option package gives all the safety and control enhancements I really like. This car finally fills the need for a very comfortable, versatile, earth-friendly means of transportation. It is so good in so many respects that you could justify the purchase on the basis of any one of several criteria - ecology, utility, comfort, styling. Toyota has created many poeple's dream car, but why are they producing so few? I think that 40,000 is probably 1/4 of what they COULD sell, especailly once more get on the road and people see their fantastic qualities. I am truly grateful to my dealer, Palmiero Toyota in Meadville, PA, for finding my vehicle so quickly.
  • Options
    alnvilmaalnvilma Member Posts: 19
    We picked up our '04 silver Pkg.#1 SHUTTLECRAFT yesterday: WOW!!
     For us it was a reach after 2 1/2 happy years in an ECHO but, am I glad we bought this car!
     It is so smooth, quiet, substantial and fun. The base model has more than enough gadgets for a techie like me. To think that a vehicle with this heft can trounce the ECHO's mpg is astounding.
     80 miles of driving brought no issues at all and the Synergy power transtions are moore seamless than any jerky conventional auto tranny. The only noise at freeway speed is from tires and wind but I soon realized I only noticed that because the car is SO quiet. That, is music to my ears.
     The seats, driving position, sight lines, guages and convenience of controls are all dandy.( I'm 5'-8").
     Performance is no longer a concern for me ( my GTO days ended 25 years ago). More than enough oomph in this sedan. It handles so much better than an ECHO and feels like it could take a beating w/o developing rattles. Solid feel to it.
     My dealer, Royal Moore in Hillsboro, OR., did a superb job of rectifying a rough start. Sold it at MSRP, delivered in 21 days w/o BS at the end.
     I was leaning towards a Matrix until I test drove the Prius. Did I mention I'm glad I bought this car? It really pegs the fun meter. Would not sell it for a profit if you asked me.
    Kudos to Toyota. They did their homework.
  • Options
    shoesshoes Member Posts: 131
    I picked up a Prius yesterday. My other car is a 469 HP Mercedes E55. No, seriously.

I like new technology and I like this Prius. It is very easy to drive and feels like a video game experience. What is most amazing to me compared with the German cars (BMW 7 and 5 series particularly) is how intuitive all the technology is and easy to use.

Except for the navigation and voice recognition. It must use some kind of fuzzy logic that I don't understand. For the first day I could not display a map and now I can. The voice recognition? They should rename it the electronic argument.

These little flaws aside, and I am sure once I become more familiar with the car these won't even be flaws, the car is wonderful. This morning my thrill was riding around my town totally in electric mode, albeit no faster than 30 MPH. Five minutes of driving (small town) and 100 MPG!

Now maybe my E55 will get around faster (not when there is traffic) but certainly not more efficiently.
  • Options
    talleyidtalleyid Member Posts: 34
    I just placed the order Friday night at a dealership in Illinois about 20 miles from St. Louis, MO. He said I should expect delivery before the end of the year with best case being 5-6 weeks. A St. Louis dealer I spoke with was unable to deliver before next year. I got the impression from the conversations that there is an allocation system that is spreading the cars out among the dealers. If true, the lower volume dealers would have quicker delivery options.

I shopped around among 4 or 5 dealers in the St. Louis / Metro East Illinois area and my best price was retail with 3 years of free oil changes ($300 value). Demand pretty much eliminated discounts among dealers in this area since I informed them that best price would receive the order.
  • Options
    quasar4quasar4 Member Posts: 110
    Does anybody on the planet have a decent photo of the tideland pearl model??? The only ones I've seen have been hazy, fuzzy, in shadow and generally of wretched to abysmal quality. I've seen every color available at the Toyota dealerships EXCEPT tideland pearl which seems to be in hiding. One salesman told me it was the "...ugliest dull color he had ever seen on a car," while at the same dealership another salesman said it was "...more brilliant than the tideland color shown on the Internet." I've heard it described as grey, green and blue-ish, and wouldn't be surprised in the least to hear it described as pink polka-dotted!
  • Options
    teddymacteddymac Member Posts: 3
    There seems to be more action here than on the "pricing" discussion. I drove a new Prius the other day (in Connecticut) - I thought it was great and want one.

When I sat down with the salesman, he eventually wanted an non-refundable deposit to order a car and said they were charging $4500 over MSRP. I walked out before I figured that maybe this was supposed to be the start of a negotiation?

I put down a refundable deposit at another dealer in September - I am still trying to find out the status there. My real question is - does Toyota care what the dealers are doing? Now that the cars are here, is it just a free-for-all?

I would like to get this car and I'm willing to pay MSRP and to wait several months - just starting to wonder whether that's going to get it done here in the Northeast. Any thoughts? Thanks.
  • Options
    Took the whole family for a drive in a package #3 Prius tonight. Wanted to see what the DW thought of it (after all, she'll be the main driver) and if the three kids would fit in the back. DW was initially overwhelmed by the salesman's explanation of the technology, but once underway she did fine and really liked the car. The kids thought the car was cool (cooler than a minivan, anyway) and the back seat was fine, even for my 5'11" 15-year-old. General consensus was favorable, although there were a couple of laments about the minivan lost (mostly from my 7-year-old daughter, who would get the middle position when all five of us drive together--which isn't very often for long distances). Now on to the color choices...
  • Options
    markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Teddymac, it's a free-for-all. Toyota encourages dealers to not go over MSRP and to be fair about waiting lists, but they are under no obligation whatsoever to do so - by law they're free to charge whatever they want. So there is tremendous variability in how dealers manage a low-supply/high-demand situation.

I'd try and get a firm MSRP deal, even if the deposit is completely refundable. For waiting lists, dealers often will try and sweep the price discussion under the carpet, by saying things like, "we'll take care of you", or "since the deposit is refundable for any reason, what have you got to lose? We'll just charge "market price" when the car comes in, no more."

Well, you've got a lot to lose: Knowledge that you'll actually have a car months from now rather than being back at square one and the use of the deposit money in the interim. I've also has some hassles getting refundable deposits back - they'll slow pay you or tell you it has to go through some convoluted process which can take months. After months and lots of calls, you finally get paid back.

So I'd search out a dealer willing to write a MSRP deal; if they need a non-refundable deposit, I'd be willing to make one provided the contract is written such that they have to deliver in a certain time frame. If you can't find a MSRP car at a reasonable distance and a reasonable time frame, buy something else. This car is good, but it is not worth jumping through hoops for, especially with the 5+ year paybacks for the hybrid technology to pay off at current fuel prices.

- Mark
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Congrats to all the new Prius owners! Please be sure and post in the Toyota Prius: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences" discussion to help out people who are in the buying/research process. It's helpful to know what you paid, location and experience.

Thanks!
  • Options
    51jerryp51jerryp Member Posts: 6
    I placed my order on Oct. 20 for 2004 Prius with option package #7 at Palmiero Toyota in Meadville PA. They proceeded immediately to make calls to other dealers (80 of them, I was told) to get the car I wanted. I took delivery on Nov. 8. Price was exactly as was shown on the 'build your own' part of the Toyota web site. I consider myself very lucky to be driving the first Prius in our area. The effort and treatment by Palmiero Toyota was excellent in all respects.
  • Options
    I posted on the other discussion first, but thought I should perhaps post here as well. I drove a new Prius the other day (in Connecticut) - I thought it was great and want one.

When I sat down with the salesman, he eventually wanted an non-refundable deposit to order a car and said they were charging $4500 over MSRP. I walked out before I figured that maybe this was supposed to be the start of a negotiation?

I put down a refundable deposit at another dealer in September - I am still trying to find out the status there. My real question is - does Toyota care what the dealers are doing? Now that the cars are here, is it just a free-for-all?

I would like to get this car and I'm willing to pay MSRP and to wait several months - just starting to wonder whether that's going to get it done here in the Northeast. Any thoughts? Thanks
  • Options
    azstanazstan Member Posts: 74
    $4500 over MSRP! Ever think what these dealers would be doing to us if we did not have Monroney Law?

I really like the car, but the buying eperience continues to be a "traumatic experience".
  • Options
    azstan (and others) - What (and where) is Monroney Law?
  • Options
    prius4meusprius4meus Member Posts: 22
    We took delivery 10/31 (tideland pearl, package AM) and have logged a bit over 300 miles. The car is fantastic. It took all of about 3 drives to acclimate to the crossbar on the hatch.

I have been puzzled by a strange sensation during braking. When coming slowly to a stop, the car seems to momentarily accelerate at approximately 7 MPH. This was disconcerting but I'm acclimating. Looking back through this discussion group, "Townha11" commented on this (message 990) but I don't think anyone ever addressed the issue. Are others aware of this or is there something wrong with my car? My guess would be that I am just feeling the "dropout" of the regenerative braking mechanism, but I'm speculating here.

Also, Re: quasar4 and the polka dots, based on pictures I saw before purchasing the tideland pearl model, I thought the car would be somewhat green. In fact, the color is indescribable. It is essentially grey with a slight hint of green (i.e. just about none). My color blind colleague thinks it is beautiful...
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I felt the same thing. You do notice the transition between regular and regenerative braking, but I imagine you'll get used to it. I didn't really bother me.

That green is a nice color, it should mask dirt very well, too.

-juice
  • Options
    markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    During my test drive, I noticed some odd transitions occuring during braking. I don't know if matches your specific sensation, but I recall that there was a noticeable transition between regenerative and conventional braking. Perhaps your symptom is regenerative kicking off at slow speed, leaving conventional for the last 7mph.

In any event, I doubt there is anything wrong with your car. I do think linear braking is a rough spot on hybrids that needs to get polished as the design matures.

- Mark
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    I love it!
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...refers to the Federal law that requires the MSRP sticker you see on every new car. Over the years, what appears on that sticker [EPA fuel and emissions results, content nation-of-origin, etc.] has gradually grown, but the basic idea was that every new car had to have a suggested manufacturer's price posted on the window.

"Suggested" is the key word, of course. No one objects when dealers discount from MSRP because of supply and demand, but everyone seems to object when it works the other way 'round. If you must be the first on your block, the price will often be higher than a few months down the line; I've occasionally done exactly that, but with the clear understanding of what it means.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    My 01 RX300 has the very same effect and others have posted statements about feeling as if the vehicle was struck from behind just before coming to a stop. Some have called it the "slingshot" effect.

My guess is that it's the result of safety measures by the design engineers of FWD systems such as is the Prius and the FWD and AWD RX. It is slightly dangerous to have front wheel engine or regenerative braking at the front for which the driver really has no control.
  • Options
    masshockeymasshockey Member Posts: 11
    Thanks jeep2jetta, the green line disappeared nicely- I guess I just didn't look far enough back in the thread to find your original comment.
    I have found the voice recognition extremely difficult to use, but also quite unnecessary given the steering wheel controls. Has anyone tried a bluetooth phone yet? I am thinking of buying one but the way the DVD manual devolves into [non-permissible content removed]-english in this section, I am a little concerned. I am frustrated that several of the Nav system features seem to be undocumented.
  • Options
    automiteautomite Member Posts: 17
    on a past weekend in dearborn michigan, the toyota dealership near me had 8 prius on lot, which i found out on monday they were going to press people as demo cars. this was before official display date. all the colors were there except black and white. i can tell you the tideland pearl looks nothing like the computer display or the brochure swatch....it looks much better in person. it is very similar to the color on the landcruiser that was hard to get for several years past...riverrock pearl. i put a 500 dollar deposit for salesman to get me that color through dealer trade network. that color and silver are the 2 best colors in my opinion.
  • Options
    I think range is another big plus. For instance, my wife *hates* pumping gas, so she'd only have to do it half as often. Better yet, there's a bigger chance I'd be with her and could pump gas for her.

Also, you get cars that serve different purposes to do different jobs. The Prius could be an efficient commuter, while the E55 could handle high-speed, long distance highway runs.

Can you imagine a family of 5 owning 5 Camry sedans? What if you needed to haul a new dish washer home? Noone could do it!

More likely you'd have one Tacoma, one Corolla, one Camry, one Prius, and one Highlander. Something like that.

Different tools for specialized jobs.

Makes sense to me.

-juice (owns a Miata for sun and a Subaru for rain)
  • Options
    johnf1936johnf1936 Member Posts: 2
    I just ordered one. delivery in about 4 weeks. I have been told that i cannot put a sunshine roof in becuase the roof has a dip in it. Anyone out there got a sunshine roof in a 2004?
  • Options
    john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    2004 Prius base MSRP of $19,995 includes:

• CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission)
    • Automatic Climate-Control with Electric A/C
    • Anti-Lock Brakes
    • Traction-Control
    • Cruise-Control
    • Power & Heated mirrors
    • Power windows
    • Power door locks
    • AM/FM/CD with 6 speakers
    • Keyless-Entry remotes
    • Cast Aluminum Alloy rims
    • Tilt steering with audio/climate controls
    • 60/40 Split-folding rear seat
    • Multi-Display with trip computer
    • Rear Defroster
  • Options
    tom10105batom10105ba Member Posts: 3
    Hi folks - just thought I'd give a quick brief on my experiences with the 2004 Prius to date. I picked it up from the dealer (Darcars Toyota, Silver Spring MD) on October 24th, (Option package #9/ Silver), paid sticker price. I've put 1200+ miles on it so far and I'm averaging 52+ miles per gallon in mixed driving. The car drives and handles well, acceleration is better than what I was expecting (I used to drive a 2000 ML320). The Bluetooth phone works great! I have a SonyEricson T616 and have no issues using it with the car; I even downloaded the phonebook to the car. My only wish was that the audio from the phone was distributed to all the speakers, not just the driver’s door. Navagation system works well (DVD under drivers seat) Stereo is ok - 6 CD changer works well. Satellite controls on steering wheel don't take long to master... Anyway, the journey continues and I'm having a blast!
  • Options
    Hi folks - just thought I'd give a quick brief on my experiences with the 2004 Prius to date. I picked it up from the dealer (Darcars Toyota, Silver Spring MD) on October 24th, (Option package #9/ Silver), paid sticker price. I've put 1200+ miles on it so far and I'm averaging 52+ miles per gallon in mixed driving. The car drives and handles well, acceleration is better than what I was expecting (I used to drive a 2000 ML320). The Bluetooth phone works great! I have a SonyEricson T616 and have no issues using it with the car; I even downloaded the phonebook to the car. My only wish was that the audio from the phone was distributed to all the speakers, not just the driver’s door. Navagation system works well (DVD under drivers seat) Stereo is ok - 6 CD changer works well. Satellite controls on steering wheel don't take long to master... Anyway, the journey continues and I'm having a blast!
  • Options
    Congrats, Tom.

Do you miss the bigger size of the ML? Just curious. I'm not sure my family could squeeze in for road trips and such. It would make a great commuter, though.

-juice
  • Options
    thelmalouise04thelmalouise04 Member Posts: 1
    I have the Tideland Pearl. It looks like a hematite or gunmetal in some light and in some light it turns absolutely green. It is my chameleon car and I love the color and get lots of compliments about it.
  • Options
    humphryshumphrys Member Posts: 2
    With 350 miles on my new '04 Prius my worst commute milage has been 42MPG and best has been 52 MPG. Acceleration is definately slower w/ a 225lb.passenger and it leans to much for my tastes in turns. I'm 6'4" and there is not enough thigh support. I'm getting somewhat tired of the video type screen showing what's going on and turn it off after I have the climate controls set. I wonder what the Prius would look like after a really unfriendly encounter w/ a Buick Roadmaster, yet after all that, in many ways this is the coolest car I have ever driven. I love the very quiet driving when it goes all electric and after just two weeks of driving I'm wondering how soon it will be when all cars will shut down at a red light. I read a post where someone couldn't believe that a Mercedes buyer was bragging about his Prius. I've had lots of cars and I believe any purist would love the Prius almost as much as his car that he never believed he could afford.
  • Options
    djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    What's the big deal if you have a Benz and a Prius? I have a leased Mercedes C320 which is due to be returned on Feb 23. I can't wait! The car is SO BORING!!!!!!!!!! Also had an Audi allroad that I kept for 10,000 miles and decided to sell it because of the high maintenance (even though I didn't pay I wanted to sell it before it was too late). Even those cars are faster, who cares??? The Prius has decent acceleration to keep up with traffic. It has SO MANY toys that I don't think I'll ever get tired of this car. I am getting close to 50 MPG without even trying. Handles nicely and rides well. Can't ask for anything more.
  • Options
    masshockeymasshockey Member Posts: 11
    I web-ordered my prius in August, took delivery early Nov, paid "sticker" for pkg 9, had preferred accessory package tacked on by dealer ($262) but would have got it anyway, total $26,017.
  • Options
    daysailerdaysailer Member Posts: 720
    been able to obtain a new Prius for $19995?
  • Options
    johnf1936johnf1936 Member Posts: 2
    I ordered on last week. In Baltimore. I was given a mid December delivery but I do not have any documentation so reading this Board I wonder if they tool my order seriously
  • Options
    I'll take the Benz off your hands until Feb, if you want. As a favor. ;-)

My test drive was short and I'm not sure I even understood what the display was showing yet.

-juice
  • Options
    I'm a big guy - 6'2" and yes the Prius is smaller but not to the point where I'm feeling claustrophobic. I started to realize some time ago that I didn't use most of the space the ML gave me - that and my drive to work changed from a highway to in town with a lot of traffic - that and the fact that the ML was falling apart around me. Don't get me wrong, it was a joy to drive that car, it just started costing a lot to keep it on the road. As for my comment about acceleration, that was based on the fact that I've owned more than a few 4 cylinder cars and there acceleration, depending on the car, was disapointing. The Prius wont rip your head off in the quarter mile, but it also wont put you in jeopardy on a on-ramp either. That said, I still like the car a LOT!
  • Options
    Does anyone have long-term concerns about battery replacement costs?

I think it's NiMH, right? I'm curious as to how long they last, how long their are warranted for, and what their replacement cost would be.

When laptops had NiMH batteries our fleet tended to get about 3-5 years from a battery. How did the first gen Prius do? Or have they not had to replace many of them yet?

I tend to keep vehicles about 7 years, so it would be a concern. I may consider a hybrid SUV as my next new vehicle.

-juice
  • Options
    footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Check a dealership in the SET distribution zone (GA, SC, NC, etc.).

Their online inventory showed at least one base unit at MSRP plus delivery.

Other combos that are hard to find in other areas like the NE appear to be there. Might be a hike for some, but at least they are around.
  • Options
    dogmom2dogmom2 Member Posts: 44
    Toyota has 5 Prius that they are sending around the country to Whole Foods Markets. Got the info on an email from Toyota. Finally I got to see and drive one! yea! It is impressive, guys. It has a solid feel, not lightweight at all. Easy to drive. Didn't feel any slowness to the acceleration in in town traffic or funny brake issues. Didn't get to try the interstate.
    It was very nice to drive. Seats were comfortable and good driving height. I am about 5'6". The spoiler that separates the glass on the hatch was not any problem. Interior space is great. Seat width is good. Leg room is good.
    Wish the hatch area was deeper to hold more, but can't have everything. All of the electronic bells and whistles are neat. They wouldn't let me watch the screen and drive to check fuel consumption, though. This is definitely a revolutionary car. The colors that they had are silver and black.

What a fun time! And no pushy dealers to worry about.
  • Options
    Margaret: I went to a similar event in DC. Very nice, I love the no-pressure approach also. There are no salesmen there at all. Plus they're targeting the right market.

You reminded me of the hatch glass. It's kind of neat, visibility to back up is excellent. Reminds me of the old CRX.

What is the plural of Prius? Prii?

-juice
  • Options
    dogmom2dogmom2 Member Posts: 44
    Loved the car and the chance to try it out. They gave a $10 Coupon for the store for test driving and filling out a survey, too. Enough for lunch. I was amazed at the solid feel of the car. I expected it to be like an economy car, I guess. It felt heavy and substantial, even the sound of shutting the door. I did like the Nav, though I didn't try the voice out. Cupholder placement was good, front and back. Good storage options. It surprised me a bit that the antenna for the radio was not integrated into the glass like some are, but on top of the roof. The hatch area is not huge, but could get us to the airport for a weekend if we used duffles and not large suitcases, but not for a week to the beach, I don't think.(2adults, 2kids) I was surprised that they didn't advertise the event more. Apparently the email was their major way of advertising it. That and just the folks going to Whole Foods.
  • Options
    The battery and a few other hybrid parts are warranted for 8 years or 100k miles. Then there's the requirements of the PZEV certification, which means the car has passed a 150k mile durability test (don't know what that means wrt the battery). Also keep in mind that the entire battery doesn't have to be replaced; individual cells can be replaced if one is defective.
  • Options
    I gave the coupon to my wife. She had registered me. She was so excited about the coupon; I really only cared about the car!

Nice catch about the lack of an in-glass antennae. This is something Subaru has incorporated into their cars, I think they all have it now. It's seamless and aerodynamic, perhaps Toyota will add one next year.

Cool backy, thanks. 8/100 really ought to give people peace of mind. It's new and I'm sure they'll figure it out, including parts managers. ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    mantis2073mantis2073 Member Posts: 3
    I drive a 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII, a 1997 Honda Civic and a 1997 Honda Accord. I'm no tree-hugger, but I find the technology of the Prius very intrigueing. Regarding some of the previous posts, from my point of view, if I want to drive a Hummer as my daily ride and park a Prius next to it in the garage, I'd do it for my own reasons and because, last I looked, it's still my right to do so. If some find that bothersome, then get your local politician to take away a few more of my rights.
  • Options
    Supply will catch up with demand. It's a hot new model, with patience I'm sure the situation will improve.

Question, though, a friend of mine mentioned you can drive in HOV lanes with a hybrid, even by yourself. Is that right?

If so, that could be a *major* benefit to some folks.

-juice
  • Options
    alnvilmaalnvilma Member Posts: 19
    Is it just me or are there a lot of folks that seem to loose track about this forum?
     I've been driving my '04 for a week now and nearly love this inanimate object. For the same money as a nicely equipped 4cyl. Camry or Accord, I have a car that gets better mileage and it is FUN.
     I never compare it to a Mini or Mercedes or ever expect to recover initial costs through economy of operation. The car sells itself on so many aspects: Style, quality, economy, creature features and it is 'green' too!
     All the personal issues and strange vehicle comparisons vented here is detracting from the forum subject.
     Bet I get clobbered.
    Happy driver in Oregon
  • Options
    The hosts will keep us in line if we stray too much. ;-)

I see a lot of "hidden" benefits:

* range
    * HOV lane access
    * one of a few hatches on the market
    * coolness factor
    * green factor
    * uniqueness factor

-juice