Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Audi A3

Comments

• Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Two discussions in that might be of interest (and so we can keep this discussion on the A3)

How Are You Dealing With High Priced Gasoline?

and

Report Your Local Gas Prices Here
  • Options
    pmagpmag Member Posts: 22
    Howdy Y'All,

Just picked up my new A3 two days ago -- Black, DSG, premium package, and XM Sat. Apparently there are not a lot of vehicles currently available that have the premium package but not the opensky. I passed on the opensky option beause I felt it took away too much headroom for rear seat passengers. I would have skipped the XM radio too, but this was a car that the dealer I was working with had incoming (it had just come into port when I started working the deal), and it's easier to cut a decent deal over a specific vehicle as opposed to a special order.

We came in at $1200 below sticker but that took quite a bit of haggling. In my area (Raleigh/Durham, NC) the A3s seem to be moving off the lots pretty fast and most seem to be selling at or just a couple hundred bucks below MSRP.

This is my first Audi and so far I'm loving it! The 2.0T satisfies my need for 'get up and go' when I want it, but gives me decent fuel efficiency when I'm feeling practical. The handling and ride is great and the fit and finish are a step up from my previous car (2001 Subaru Outback).

My only minor complaint is one that others have voiced- the diagonal brace on the center console that's right about where my right knee wants to rest.

The other cars my wife and I considered as we were shopping were:
    * 2005 Volvo V50 2.4i
    * 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon

The major selling points that pushed us to favor the Audi were:

* Better front seat leg room than either the V50 or the Legacy -- this was the real kicker for me as this is my daily driver. I don't know how manufacturers come up with 'official' measurements of legroom, but the A3 is the only car I've ever owned where I actually prefer NOT to have the drivers seat all the way back. Both the V50 and the Legacy have more legroom according to the official figures but my real word experience says otherwise.

* Better fit and finish than the Subaru; nicer ride and less road noise than the V50

* More power than the V50 (I didn't consider the V50T); Better gas mileage than the Legacy GT

We would have saved a bundle on the V50 we were looking at (about $4800 under sticker), but the legroom, ride and comfort of the A3 is what finally sold me.

Cheers,
    Paul
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "I passed on the opensky option beause I felt it took away too much headroom for rear seat passengers."

Hmmm, that's odd. I felt that the OpenSky system actually provided MORE head room in the back when compared to another A3 not so equipped. I just assumed that due to the fact that a simple pane of glass separates the top of the rear passengers heads from the elements, that that would intrude on head room less than the standard configuration. I'm going to have to take a tape measure in next time I go for a Look-See, because like you, I'd most likely order the one with the most head room.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    fourplay56fourplay56 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I like the leather and the lunber support in the power seat very much.
    How ever I prefer 5 spoke which only come with the standard not premium pkg.

Is it possible to get a premium pkg but still stay with 5 spoke wheel?
    Or... if I wanna upgrade directly to 18" wheel can I order and change it before I get the car? (and pay less than if I get the car and change 17" to 18")

the last question: ....will the cloth of Audi easy to clean?? becuase in my 1 year honda accord there is already some wierd smell that I can hardly get rid off >_<

Thank you :)
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Sylvia: sorry ill go stand in the corner.

fourplay56: i saw both those wheel configurations, although that was early models. It was my understanding the 16 spoke were no cost option. I like the easy clean ability of the 5 spoke myself, but prefer the look of the 16.

one word FE BREEZE! and get vinyl, leather, pleather, naughide next time ;)

DL
  • Options
    walkerhound1walkerhound1 Member Posts: 14
    There are still a few low VIN# premiums around with the 5-spoke wheels-- in this area, anyway. If you really want that combination, see if your dealer can find one. A3s configured that way typically come without foglights (a $150 delete on the sticker), but with the sunshade package (a $200 option)-- rear passenger & rear window shades. This happens to be what I bought & I'm very happy with the extra sun protection-- especially when I have to park in a shadeless lot. The sun pack is not an order option right now, and you can only get a rear shade as a dealer-installed accessory.

I don't think 5-spoke 18s are an order option-- accessory only. Whether you pay MSRP for them will depend on your dealer.
  • Options
    allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    Shipo wrote:
    What 170hp TDI are you referring to? The only TDIs that I've seen mentioned for the A3 in Europe are the 1.9tdi and the 2.0tdi which generate 100hp and 105hp respectively.

I was referring to the new "Piezo high-pressure unit-injector system" Passat TDi engine. There are older 2.5, 2.7 and 3.0 TDIs with 170, 180, and 225hp in the VW/Audi line-up. However, while the standard top 2.0TDI has only 140hp, it has been stated that the 170hp version will be available for the new Passat. "This extremely quiet four-valve TDI has an output of 125 kW / 170 hp (4,200 rpm), developing torque of 350 Newton metres (1,800 to 2,500 rpm) and accelerating the Passat Variant in 8.8 seconds to 100 km/h. Its tops speed is 220 km/h. Again, the average consumption is a mere 6.6 litres per 100 kilometres."
    Since they are now sharing platforms, this engine can also be fitted into the Golf/Jetta/A3.

I wonder how much his engine will deliver after chip-tuning...

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050725.005/page/2/lang/eng/volkswagen/1.html-
    http://www.carzone.ie/newcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Details&vehicle_id=728368920050517&strS- pecs=SSCIRL2002
    http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/08/07/139643.html
    http://www.carexpert.ru/html/tech/vwps-2005s22.htm
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/?id=175
  • Options
    I thought the readership of these forums might be interested in these articles about the A3:

Boston Herald: http://business.bostonherald.com/businessNews/view.bg?articleid=98829

Choice quote: "..the A3 is one of the best cars Motor Mouth has ever driven in its price range.
    In fact, with few exceptions, this car is almost perfect..."

and one from the Sacramento Bee:
    http://www.sacbee.com/content/business/story/13398817p-14240115c.html

--Paul
  • Options
    billherrmannbillherrmann Member Posts: 108
    ...which includes 16 spoke wheels. Asked the dealer if they could be replaced with the 5 spoke wheels [ the 16 spokers are a killer to clean]. Dealer is NOT optomistic, pointing out that all incoming units are ordered with either premium or sport pkg. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Bill H.
  • Options
    rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    5 spokes are with cloth only cars. The 16 spokes might be harder to clean, but I think they add a nice dynamic to the car.

The sport package has the 16 spoke bi-colored wheels, and they look really sharp. The prem. package cars are a bit plainer and are not bi-colored.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    You never know... just keep checking in with your salesperson weekly... reminding him that you'd really like the base wheels, just in case they get a unit in.... Out of sight, out of mind...

That is your best chance...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    seanestaseanesta Member Posts: 4
    I blew the radiator on my 2006 Audi A3 after just 4,000 miles. I bought the car in May off the lot in Massachusetts

The explanation that I got was that there was a bad design in the way that the fan is attached to radiator and the clips that hold the fan in place actually punctured holes in the radiator.

Anyone else experience this or any other issues?

Fun to drive. Disappointed about the radiator.
  • Options
    Ouch! I'm really sorry to hear that - what a bummer on a relatively new car.

Did your dealership indicate if this was an issue that applied primarily to the early of the assembly line vehicles (I assume yours is an early one because you got it it many), or is this a general concern?

--Paul
  • Options
    seanestaseanesta Member Posts: 4
    Thanks.

Dealership didn't indicate either way. I know that they had been in touch with Audi Manufacturing and had a case open with them and they had taken a bunch of pics of the radiator and sent along.

:(
  • Options
    wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Well, if that's their explanation, there ought to be a TSB circulating or forthcoming.

That is a drag. Sorry to hear about that.

On wheels: for me personally, I think it would be worth it to pursue the five spokes, even at a cost. I think I'd go after market (and probably lighter than stock) to get a five or seven-spoke rim I like. I can't say the the 16-spokers are ugly, by any stretch, but I find then too busy and too fussy for my tastes.
  • Options
    adtroyadtroy Member Posts: 2
    Bouldermax -

If you had ended up getting the yakima rack installed on your A3, what size Q-Clips did you use?
    I have my roof rack from my previous car just sitting and waiting. I just need to know which Q-Clips to use. Thanks.
  • Options
    bouldermaxbouldermax Member Posts: 6
    My experience hasn't been so great - I ended up taking the car back to Rocky Mounts after the entire rack almost pulled free from the roof after just a couple of 20 mile highway trips with a single bike on top. I was told the delrin cams on each tower were worn from all the trial and error fitting they did on the first pass, so that may have contributed to my initial problem. Bobby (the owner?, great guy) replaced all 4 Q towers and it seemed much more secure, but I still don't like the way the towers overlap the (plastic) sunroof edging. I don't know what clips they are using - you can call them (Boulder, CO) and ask for Bobby. FYI - I looked in my manual tonight and Audi highly recommends that you place the clips at the indentation points (which Rocky Mounts didn't do). So.....I took the rack off the car for now. (I have another old Audi that can still haul all my bike stuff around town for now) I am going to do some more research, but I will probably take the rack back in for another fit. I'm also thinking about waiting until later this year when Yakima comes out with a Q-clip made just for the A3. Arrgghh! At least I love the car!
  • Options
    Hey Y'all,

A couple more articles of interest to A3 readers:

Side-by-side comparison of the A3 and the Mini Cooper S:
    http://www.business2.com/b2/web/articles/0,17863,1097588,00.html

and

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05237/559564.stm

--Paul
  • Options
    adtroyadtroy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I will just wait for Yakima to figure things out too... Hopefully they will soon. Good Luck.
  • Options
    I've been hearing rumors that the A3 is either:

A) Going to be sold with Bluetooth as standard equipment as soon as the week 22 and greater builds of cars land upon our shores.
    B) Going to be available with an optional Bluetooth package for $435 starting in September (probably meaning week 22 cars and later)

Anybody heard anything to confirm or refute either of the above rumors that I've heard?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    shoesshoes Member Posts: 131
    I recently became interested in the A3 and was very impressed after driving one. I am not sure I understand the pricing for this car. I am considering a loaded car, with an MSRP nearly $35K. I thought this was an entry level vehicle? When I looked at leasing I was really shocked to learn that I could get a loaded A4 or even an A6 for a lower monthly payment. Is Audi just trying to take advantage of early adopters.

By the way, the car I am considering has a bluetooth package mentioned above.
  • Options
    Well i just noticed that the A4 has some new option packages thank goodness. One is a "technology" that includes bluetooth, xenons, ect. They also have a leather/roof for $1400 bucks instead of being forced into one of those 5k packages, Perhaps they are seeing the light a little bit.

As for the A3, I vote for standard equipment based on the high tag the little bugger has allready.

DL
  • Options
    Oh, i just read the 41 reviews of owners. A 9.6 is amazing.Then it gets weird. Everone raves about fuel mileage cept 2 that blast it. Then one guy writes a nice narrative then gives it a 2.0 ??? go figure.

DL
  • Options
    I am not sure I understand the pricing for this car. I am considering a loaded car, with an MSRP nearly $35K. I thought this was an entry level vehicle?

Well, as far as Audis are concerned, less than $25K MSRP (perhaps $23K street price) surely is entry level. You pay entry level if you choose entry level. Since you are familiar with BMW and Mercedes, you shouldn't really be surprised that when fully loaded, the price goes up. Should the price go up $10K? I don't think so - but then I would most likely be more selective with packages and not add everything they offer. I haven't even made up my mind yet, whether I like open sky.

As far as leasing prices are concerned, this has been discussed quite a bit. There is a strong relation between leasing rates and resale values, and Audi seems to be less concerned with total sales versus quality sales. I also think they underestimated the number of potential buyers who benefit from a lease as a tax write-off (for most, old-fashioned financing is much more attractive at this point).
  • Options
    rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    You can get a 6 speed manual A3 with sport package, bose 6 CD, cold weather, open sky & metallic paint, and you'd be @ $30,410 on the MSRP.

It all depends on the way you configure your car. Navigation is a $1950 sold order option, and the DSG automatic car is almost $1500 more.

Apples to apples, the A4 is about $4000-5000 more loaded the same way.

You're better off buying the A3 though, as lease rates are not too good right now.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    For Pricing, please be sure and post questions and answers in the Audi A3: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences discussion.
  • Options
    toxietoxie Member Posts: 3
    Hey Shipo,
    I spoke with Audi Corporate a week ago and they said that, effective immediately, all new A3s ordered with the Convenience Package will have Bluetooth. This is included with the Premium option, but must be added separately to the Sport option.

You may want to confirm this with your dealer and remember that this will likely not apply to existing cars on the lot.

Toxie
  • Options
    Thanks for the "Heads-Up" on the Convenience Package and Bluetooth. ;-) No sweat on current inventory thing due to the fact that I'm holding off on my decision until the Dec/Jan time frame when I find out whether my long distance (as in 100 miles per day) contract is going to be extended.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    So... if the commute gets shorter... then leasing is viable, and the MSRP threshold goes up?

Just trying to follow along here... Living vicariously through others... ;)

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Yup, you've pretty much got the picture. I still prefer the RWDness of the new E90, however, ain't no way I can justify one of them critters with the kind of mileage that I'm driving these days. So, the criteria is basically a nicely optioned car (with good mileage) around $30K to buy if the annual mileage stays high, or a more premium leased ride in the low to mid $40K range if my driving gets back under 15K miles per year (where its been for the last eight years).

I know it's kind of wierd to be shopping the A3 2.0T 6-Speed and the 330i 6-Speed at the same time but that's exactly what I'm doing.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Not that weird... The A3 has a lot of power... I could learn to love it... I just can't get past FWD with an Audi...

If I see an A4 go by me without the Quattro designation.... I always think.. "Why?"...

No really good reason for that.... I'd take an Acura TSX, and never think twice about it...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I know it's kind of wierd to be shopping the A3 2.0T 6-Speed and the 330i 6-Speed at the same time but that's exactly what I'm doing.

Call me weird, my final 2. However in the end Audi could not get me a ordered car I desired in less than 4 month instead of 1 for the E90. Plus there was only about 2k difference in the 325i and A3. If im driving high mileage, one would think a rwd, non turbo would last well longer than a fdw, turbo car yes ? The little extra utility would be nice though.

DL
  • Options
    wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Yeah, all y'all are weird. ;-]

I like it. I fit right in. I don't have a final two, but my list is just is bizarre, including this little beauty...
  • Options
    "Plus there was only about 2k difference in the 325i and A3."

Really? Hmmm, well I just configured two cars as like as I could and here is what I got:

2006 A3 ------------- MSRP -------- TMV -------- 2006 325i ----------- MSRP -------- TMV
    Base Car --------- $24,740 ----- $24,502 ------- Base Car --------- $30,900 ----- $30,280
    Lava Gray ------------- $450 --------- $450 ------- Black Sapphire ----- $475 --------- $475
    Sport Package --- $1,800 ------ $1,778 ------- Sport Pack --------- $1,600 ------ $1,553
    CWP -------------------- $700 --------- $691 ------ CWP ------------------ $1,000 --------- $971
    Sound Package ----- $900 --------- $889 ------ Premium Audio --- $1,200 ------ $1,164
    Conv. Package ------ $675 --------- $667 ------ Premium Pack ---- $2,900 ------ $2,815
    Xenon Lights --------- $500 --------- $494 ------ Xenon Lights ---------- $800 --------- $777
    Open Sky ---------- $1,100 ------- $1,086
    ------------------------------------------------------------- Regional Adjust ----------------------- -$210
    Destination ----------- $720 --------- $720 ------ Destination ------------ $695 --------- $695
    ===========================================================
    Total ---------------- $31,585 ---- $31,277 ------ Total ----------------- $39,570 ----- $38,505

Needless to say, I must be wanting different goodies than you want because in my case the TMV difference is $7,228, which in my book is a fair piece of change. ;-)

"If im driving high mileage, one would think a rwd, non turbo would last well longer than a fdw, turbo car yes?"

Hmmm, here I'm not at all sure either way. I've had two FWD turbo-charged cars (fed an exclusive diet of Mobil-1) and three RWD normally aspirated I6 cars over the years and in my own personal experience, both classes distinguished themselves as being more than capable of driving well into the six figure range of miles relatively problem free. Given my personal preference, I'd opt for a turbo-charged RWD car, however, not only is the rumored 335i not out yet, but it wouldn't be economically viable in my current driving environment if it were.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Ive heard next years A4 supposed to switch to a RWD bias Quattro ala the S4. To more compete with the 3er ect.. I wonder if that will trickle down into the A3?

Yes, i went skinny on options. Something like this. CWP, Step, Metallic, Power seat,and 330i 17" wheels,sat prep. In my mind a lower 30k 325i is the best buy due to all the standard features, closer to 40k not so much. It may have been more fair to say the A3 i would have been taking off the lot ( 4 -5month to order) came base model, or loaded to the gills Nav ect... IF i could have got YOUR spec' ed car( LAVA Grey included) around $30,500 let say quite the bargain.

PS : im shocked you prefer the 2.0T over the I6.

DL
  • Options
    "PS : im shocked you prefer the 2.0T over the I6."

Errr, I must not have fully stated my case…

Without a doubt I think that the only peer of the I6 engine when it comes to balance and smoothness is what I&#146;ll call an H6 mill (horizontally opposed/boxer engine ala Porsche and many small aircraft engines). Beyond that one example, the V8 is the closest in third place (unlike the above two Sixes, it is not truly balanced). Balance shafted I4s and V6s are a very distant fourth and fifth respectively, with the non-balanced version of the latter two engines bringing up the rear of the field. That of course is only the mechanical part, induction is another story. I am a turbocharging bigot. Period, full stop, the end. IMHO, there is no finer way of dramatically enhancing the efficiency of the induction system (and hence the specific output of the engine) than with an exhaust gas driven turbo-super-charger. Errr, that isn&#146;t actually correct (see Note 1), but for the automotive world that is close enough. So, the question is, &#147;If I&#146;m shopping for a good performing fuel efficient (albeit not perfectly mechanically balanced) car/engine combination, what would I choose?" Well, I&#146;ll choose a balance shafted turbo 4 over a normally aspirated I6. Why? Well, it's will usually be less expensive, nearly as smooth and probably more efficient in most driving environments. A turbocharged (or dual turbocharged) I6 is another matter entirely (and another dollar value as well). Were it that the prices between the two were equal, then I'd opt for the 325i, but they aren't even close with the options that I want.

Note 1: As adding a turbocharger to an engine has a tendency to equalize the pressure between the exhaust manifold and the intake manifold, a specific engine building technique known as &#147;Valve Overlap&#148; (where the exhaust valve opens before the intake valve closes), which increases engine efficiency by aiding cylinder scavenging, is either not usable or considerably less effective. Back before WWII it was discovered that if an engine was built with a low pressure mechanical supercharger installed downstream of the turbocharger, even as much as a 0.5 PSI increase in the intake charge was enough to allow the Valve Overlap technique to work.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    OK, i just read that 3 times. Thanks for the tutorial. So would the Subie differ much in their H6 design from the Porsche ? Also, a i4long block including turbo would be cheaper than a i6 replacement long block? My cousin once owned a Dodge daytona Turbo that failed. I belive it was due to oil choking (sp) ? I may be wrong. He continued to drive it natuarly asperaited of course til he could afford the new Turbo. Is there any risk of damage in doing so ? other than the obvious loss in power.

Staying on topic as not to get us scolded by our New HOST ;) . What real world MPG are owners getting on their A3 ?
    DL
  • Options
    I've got about 1400 miles on my A3. So far I'm getting about 26 in mixed city/highway and 31-32 pure highway (wife and I went on a road trip recently). That's w/DSG. Basically that's spot on with the EPA ratings (24 city/32 highway)

--Paul
  • Options
    Ive heard next years A4 supposed to switch to a RWD bias Quattro ala the S4. To more compete with the 3er ect.. I wonder if that will trickle down into the A3?

Sorry to disappoint you, but that won't happen. The Haldex AWD in the A3 has a permanently driven front, with the clutch pack adding some torque to the rear on demand/ when there is a (small) difference in rotation.

What they should do, however, is upgrade to the latest PreX system, that preloads the hydraulics (thus eliminating any lag) and makes it easier to use the proactive features (switching on the rear based on yaw angle, steering wheel position, rpms, throttle, and all the other goodies ESP knows about).
  • Options
    It's funny thing that you should mention the Daytona Turbo, I had one too. In the mid 1980s I had two consecutive Mopar turbocharged cars, one (the Daytona) was the standard 150 HP Turbo I, the other (LeBaron GTC) was the 174 HP (200 lb-ft of torque too) intercooled Turbo II. Funny thing (#2) about turbochargers (Audi, Saab, Volvo, Chrysler, Toyota, Mazda, et. all), they don't take kindly to being "Rid hard and put away wet." By that I mean driving the car hard and then not letting the heat soaked bearings of the turbocharger cool sufficiently before engine shutdown. Do that enough times and coked bearings will be the result.

The question is, "What is 'sufficient'?" Many of my family and friends back in the 1980s had blown ChryCo cars, and I'm thinking that I cannot remember a single case where they didn't have at least one replacement turbocharger during the life of the car. On the other hand, both of my cars had somewhere around 100,000 miles on them when I traded up for a newer car, and both cars had the fully functioning factory turbocharger still intact when the trade was made. The difference? The oil. Everybody else that I knew of used standard non-Synthetic oil, mostly from the dealership. I used Mobil 1 exclusively due to its considerably greater ability to deal with higher heat. I guess using the Synthetic paid off.

Funny thing #3, It is my understanding that many Audi dealerships are still putting non-Synthetic oil in blown Audis, and have even heard a rumor to the effect that Audi doesn't even require synthetic oil for its blown motors. Yikes! Assuming I wind up with an A3, you can bet your last dollar that the only oil changes that are going to happen on that car are going to be done by me and that I will be using Mobil 1.

As for driving a blown engine with a dead blower, no problem except dramatically reduced power (like by half or more).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    "Why? Well, it's will usually be less expensive, nearly as smooth and probably more efficient in most driving environments."

It probably depends a lot of the driving conditions. For awhile i had both a 2.8L BMW and a 2.0T saab. The BMW always got significantly better fuel economy in all conditions. The saab got much worse when you were driving "aggressively" in stop & go, but even on long highway cruises, the bmw always got 1-3 better.

The new audi, with its FSI, though, may be superior in fuel economy to bmw's i6. But it may not. The main advantage of the 2.0T is that it feels more powerful at lower RPM's--a very good thing, to be sure!

dave
  • Options
    "The new audi, with its FSI, though, may be superior in fuel economy to bmw's i6. But it may not."

Okay, fair enough. Given what I know about the 325i vs. the A3 2.0T, I'd be hard pressed to predict which would get better mileage under any given condition. Then again, given that my unique requirements might require me to buy this time around as opposed to lease, the A3 becomes the defacto winner due to its price advantage over the 325i.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I am watching your purchase with total attention. I'm so torn on the A3 - great engine, great tranny, nice stying...scared of audi.
  • Options
    "...scared of Audi."

Yeah, I hear you on that one. I've been spoiled by my two problem free BMWs and even my problem free Dodge Grand Caravan (100,000 miles and so far its needed a battery and a door switch beyond normal maintenance).

Not being a fan of two-pedal manual transmissions, the DSG has no allure for me, however, it seems that the vast majority of the A3s that I've seen have been equipped with only two pedals. What is most likely going to ice the deal for me is going to be the style, the engine, the mileage and the utility, and if I get one, I'm just going to hope that I get a good one. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    travelinmantravelinman Member Posts: 28
    In January I purchased a Land Rover LR3. This week I traded it in for an Audi A3. The gas mileage on the Land Rover was just too horrible (I have a 90 mile commute). The Audi was the only car that got good gas mileage, was fun to drive, had cargo space (esp. w/ the seats folded down), and was somewhat luxurious. The dealer has given me a new A4 3.2 quattro to drive around until my car is ready to be picked up sometime tonight or tomorrow. It's a nice ride, but I'm still anxious to get my car. It's lava gray with tan interior, DSG, sport package, convenience package, xenon lights, open-sky, navigation, xm, and sound package. it's pretty loaded.

Anyway, I'm not worried about potential Audi reliability problems. Hell, I bought a Land Rover (which, incidently, was trouble-free). While I'm sad I got rid of the LR3 (fantastic vehicle), I am not sad about having a huge chunk of my income go to gasoline.

The salesman was telling me it was "simple" to add an auxiliary input for an ipod. Has anyone done this? With no tape player, the only way to play an ipod in the vehicle is through the itrip (over the FM stations) which is difficult in a big city such as LA, with all the interference. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who uses their ipod in the A3.....
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    Shipo: I once owned (leased) a 2000 Saab 9-3 (base model, slushbox). I fell in love with forced induction. The acclereration rush was great even with a slushbox. Changed the oil (old fashioned dino juice) at 1K, 5K, 10K, 20K, & 30K and it never burned a drop. 3 very trouble free years with the car.

I know you're a big fan of Mobil 1 Synthetic. My Prelude gets nothing but synthetic every 4K miles or so. In my Prelude (YMMV), the Mobil 1 broke down and the high compression, high revving H22A engine actually burned a little oil between changes during the 1st 15K miles. Since then I've had the oil changed with nothing but Castrol Syntec and haven't burned a drop since. My car sees regular trips up to the 7500 RPM redline.

I'm not trying to start an Audi vs. BMW war here.

Everyone's experience differs. I'm scared of Audis too. My parents' had an A6 that was terrible, my best friend had an '02 A4 3.0 that was in for service 42 times in 39 months that he leased the car, my Cousin had a '01 S4 that had a driveshaft crack at 60K miles... HOwever I've heard much more positive things about the Turbo 4 motors, I'm just not so sure of the rest of the car :confuse:

The same acan be said for BMWs. Many people have them and have numerous problems (like our own blueguydotcom). My parents have an '04 X5 3.0iA & an '05 530iA that have given them not an ounce of trouble.

travelinman: Just curious, what kind of deprectiation hit did you take on the LR3? Did you trade it in or sell it yourself?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    When i had my Eagle Talon I recall everyone getting "turbo timers" for the engine oil cooling. I never did as luck would have it i moved to DFW just in time for the hail storm of '95 and it was totaled with softball size hail :cry:

Im getting 25mpg in mixed driving consistently, so they sound very compable. $3.25 for 93 oct :mad: ,where my TDI A3!!

DL
  • Options
    "the Mobil 1 broke down and the high compression, high revving H22A engine actually burned a little oil between changes during the 1st 15K miles."

Just curious did you have a oil anlysis done ? Ive heard oil does not typically "break down" but rather becomes polluted hense the dark color. A lot of oil is filtered and reused. If the oil usage was during the break in period do you suppose that could have been the cause ? rather then the Honda having a distain for Mobil 1.

DL
  • Options
    Directly from an Audi bulletin blastfaxed yesterday to dealers.
    VERBATIM
    "Most notably, we will be introducing a brand new model for the A3 with early October production - The A3 3.2. This vehicle comes standard with quattro, DSG transmission, and the S-Line package, and is very well equipped with a number of other standard features. The 3.2 250HP in this new A3 is shared with the TT 3.2.
    *Standard features of the A3 3.2 include:
    17" Excalibur silver alloy wheels with all-season tires
    Front fog lights
    S-Line front and rear bumpers and S-Line badges
    Sport suspension
    sport seats with power driver seat and lumbar
    roof spoiler
    sound package with Bose premium sound system and 6-disc CD changer
    convenience package
    alloy air vents and radio buttons; brushed alloy inlays
    Three-spoke multifunction steering wheel with S-Line badge/alloy paddles
    illuminated vanity mirrors, driver/passenger reading lights, and lighted door open
    *Available options on the new 3.2 include:
    cold weather package
    rear side airbags
    open sky system
    satellite radio
    premium leather
    bi-xenon headlights
    DVD Navigation
    18" 20-spoke wheels with performance tires
    Bluetooth phone preparation with voice control
    *Bluetooth phone prep with voice control is available for ordering starting with late June production on the 2.0T model in conjunction with either the Premium or Sport package (and with 3.2 at its start of production)
    *Bi-xenon lights will replace the Xenon lights option starting with early September production and are available on the 2.0T model in conjunction with the Premium or Sport package (and with the 3.2 at its start of production)
  • Options
    Funny thing #3, It is my understanding that many Audi dealerships are still putting non-Synthetic oil in blown Audis, and have even heard a rumor to the effect that Audi doesn't even require synthetic oil for its blown motors. Yikes!

VW/Audi have always required synthetic oils for their gas and Diesel turbo engines. It's just that some people didn't realize, because VAG had their own (501 or 502 or whatnot) specs. Those did not mention synthetic, but the only oils available in the US meeting the specs were synthetic.

They still have to learn that in the long run, it pays to be specific and explicit. Reminds me of their publications that show fuel consumption in liters/100km and mpg. Guess what? Unless the publication is specifically made for the US, the mpgs are in imperial gallons - without stating that! As though mpg was an international unit. Just wrong, and they won't do a thing about it.

I do think, however, that the number of VW/Audi service places that used below-spec (non-synthetic oil) is rather small. At least here in California, I have found them to be quite informed about oil specs most of the time. I did have a couple of incidences with my ~13 year old 2.0 Golf, though: once they accidentally put in 5-30, with the consequence of the oil light coming on within 2 miles*. At another place**, I had to argue for 20 minutes and actually make a call to a second VW service place to convince them that 15-40 to 20-40 was the only way to go on this engine without the oil pressure light coming on...

I don't know what mentality it is that something as simple as an oil spec would not be considered zero tolerance for misinformation/mistakes area at VW/Audi service.

*To say something favorably of this place, I have to mention that when I called the service manager on my cell, he called me back within 2 minutes. He had already figured out that a young tech had used the wrong hose to fill the oil. No damage done, time lost less than 1/2 hour.

**this is downtown Walnut Creek, CA. Good prices on new cars, at times. Never, ever have your car serviced there, though.