Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• Options
    geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    100,000 hours, in case anyone hasn't done the calculation, turns out to be 11.4 years of 24/7 operation.

I would say that the truck would be at the scrap yard before you had that many hours on the gauge lights.

I installed my new running boards from toyotapart.com last night. Looks really good, compared to some other vehicles with running boards. They almost blend into the vehicle, since they sit rather close to the rocker panels. They are slightly lower than the floorboard inside the cab, but not much.

I also got the Toyota cable from toyotapart.com that is required to install the iPod2Car interface in the 2005 model Tacoma. It works out nicely, and the radio is actually very easy to get out of the dash. The interface seems to work pretty well with the Mini.

I love this truck...
  • Options
    larry10larry10 Member Posts: 88
    Did you get the black running boards? After I installed those on my truck I was surprised how much better it looked,seemed more complete.Glad to hear about the iPod situation, I hope it works well for you.
  • Options
    mattstacmattstac Member Posts: 1
    Hello all! This is my first post on what I've found to be an extremely informative forum. I ordered a '05 Tacoma Prerunner w/TRD package 2 weeks ago Friday. The truck was supposed to be in the 20th, then the 24th. Today I found out it isn't even at the port yet, which is on the other side of the country, and won't be for another 'week'. I'm a little confused about that, as I thought the truck was built in California, therby negating the need for it to be ported in the first place.

I'm getting tired of this wait. Toyota really dropped the ball on anticipating demand for this vehicle. Had I known that I'd have to wait this long, I likely would have found my way to the Honda dealership instead.

Anyway, just wanted to vent. As someone here said earlier, hopefully I too will get my truck before I die.
  • Options
    bjw1bjw1 Member Posts: 152
    sorry to hear they keep moving the date of delivery, i am here in vegas and went to the dealer and bought an 05 taco doublecab and looks like they just got them because they where all in the back and staring to move them up front so the could not have been at the dealer for more than 2 days, you are right they should of started shipment early with the anticipation of high consumer demand, well hope you get a truck you like.
  • Options
    canadiantacocanadiantaco Member Posts: 24
    i still got 12 weeks let me.... i dont get a build date for several weeks and i bought it a week ago. i live in canada.. so i have no clue why and i ordered a access offroad v6 auto speedway blue... and im gonna be waitin and waitin.... beginning of may and i ordered it like 10 days go... f n bs i tell ya
  • Options
    jkjohnjkjohn Member Posts: 11
    Following up on a much earlier message, I tracked down a NV detail shop that puts after market side mouldings on the new Toyota trucks sold in Reno. You can contact them at 775-883-3184. I had a set of moulding (1") sent to me for $69-. They are tape-on and should protect your doors somewhat.
  • Options
    tacoma05tacoma05 Member Posts: 8
    What's up guys, I had a 2004 Tacoma (V6 Extra-cab pre-runner TRD, 4X2) I loved it, I have absolutely no complaints about last years truck, in fact I can attest to its great crash test rating...
    I hydroplaned on the freeway and lost control on Dec. 28th I hit the center divide doing 60, I didn't get a scratch on me. The truck did very well. I got my new 05 Feb. 3rd and had just as high of expectations for the new model. It is far and above last years model in comfort and features. I got the exact same truck, model-wise, as last year. It's more powerful, smoother, less "squeaky" over speed bumps and much nicer looking, inside and out. I haven't had any complaints in my first 1,500 miles. I am getting about the same gas mileage as I did on the 04. The only thing I miss is my stereo because I can't find a dash kit yet. If you are wondering whether or not to buy it, if it's available, I say you should. I'll stop rambling now

Jon (San Diego, CA)
  • Options
    Yep, got the black official Toyota running boards. I'm sure the DeeZee ones are nice, but I just wanted more paint protection than anything.

After looking at it some more, I think it looks good because it matches the roof rack. The roof rack has these little oval shaped accents along the length, that match the oval openings where the running boards meet the rocker panel.

I was surprised how easy it was to install them. I used a torque wrench, and realized that you aren't requried to tighten them as much as you would think you would have to. I guess part of it is due to the locktite that is on the bolts.

And I thought the radio was easy to get out. Try taking the glovebox out sometime. It takes all of about 10 seconds, and no tools required!
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A magazine reporter is looking to photograph an Edmunds.com user and his/her car in Northern California by Friday, March 4, 2005. If you are in the area and care to participate, please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com with the name of your city as well as the month and year when you bought your most recent car after researching it on Edmunds.com.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    hammaahammaa Member Posts: 79
    I got my double cab prerunner long bed TRD sport 3-weeks ago, and it is KILLER!! Definately the best truck on the road, and I've got people asking me about it almost every day. I've already got just over 1,000 miles on it. Three Questions: 1) What can I do to improve mileage? On each of my first 3-tanks of gas, I only got about 16 mpg, and I drive 80% freeway. 2) Where can I find a tonneau cover? 3) Any way to upgrade the stock CD player...?

PS. No leaks, noises, or problems, other than poor gas mileage and lack of a decent stereo system.
  • Options
    mkelleymkelley Member Posts: 1
    I called an A.R.E. cap dealer and was told that he already has a tonneau lid available, and that they will have the cab-high caps available in March for just under $1,100.
  • Options
    nova_craftnova_craft Member Posts: 7
    Hey there,

I've been drooling like the rest of you since these trucks came out, and finally got to drive one last week. Took along the GF, and a pair of 8 yr olds to see how well everyone fit in the access cab.

It was a good drive, but I came out of it with a big question... I have never owned a truck before and am very concerned about loss of control in winter driving. When I took this one out (2WD Access Cab 4 cyl) the roads were wet, with no Ice around. It drove like a nice car would, no problems.

The salesman had assured me that if I've never owned a truck before I should really buy the 4wd TRD so I could get the options I wanted with the safety of the 4wd. I have no aspirations to go much beyond asphalt. (I do go wilderness canoeing, but I have always driven my minivan down the logging roads, and found that as long as I'm smart about where I put the tires, I'm fine)

The truck we drove was the same as the one I would be buying except it wasn't 4wd. Sticker price on it was around 25000 CDN. The same truck with 4WD arriving in April will be around 32000 CDN.

Is the 4WD worth it?

Chris
  • Options
    leob1leob1 Member Posts: 153
    PS: FYI; In Motortrend there was an article on the long term test of a F-150 that has that fly by wire throttle like the 05 Tacoma. They said there was a "lag" as well. Apparently, they took it to the dealer and had the computer "flashed." They claimed the engine was more responsive afterwards.
  • Options
    xsactaxsacta Member Posts: 26
    I live in Long Island, NY. It doesn't snow all that much here but enough. I have 3 4X4 Toyota pickups. When it snows they're in 4WD. No comparison compared to 2WD. Light trucks are light in the rear and they get loose pretty easily when in 2WD in the snow. Another thing is that I've never gotten stuck. Good luck
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    Personally, I'd hate to have 3wd; it just seems like the vehicle would always want to pull to one side... :-D

No, seriously, it all depends on how you'll be using it. RWD trucks are just fine for all road conditions on a paved road and decent gravel roads, but you have to be more prepared than you might otherwise feel necessary with a 4WD. For example, in icy/snowy areas, it is a good idea to have seasonal tires (read this mud/snow, studs, etc), a locking diff helps, and tire chains and a good recovery strap are always a good idea to have on hand. A moderate amount of weight over the rear axle will help significantly. For a truck like the Tacoma, maybe 130-180kg. If you encounter significant mud or steep slopes even on a semi-regular basis, the 4WD is probably a good choice. BTW, it is a good idea to make such preparations for 4WD vehicles too, but you can get by without them - especially in only mildly adverse conditions.

Is your minivan a front or rear wheel driven vehicle?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    jackhammerjackhammer Member Posts: 92
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&ite- m=7956654020&category=33709

Any feedback on these after market fog lights. The cheapest Toyota equilvalant kit was $323.90

The difference in price is well worth it. I checked tonight and have all the wiring underneath on my SR5 Double Cab.
  • Options
    sojerzguysojerzguy Member Posts: 2
    They put in a new head unit and the speedo is still off by 4 MPH. They said that there was no other fix for the problem. Called Toyota myself when I left the dealer and will be meeting with the district manager on this matter. I know it doesn't sound like much but it's a brand new truck and it should be right, or at least a lot closer to being right.
  • Options
    nova_craftnova_craft Member Posts: 7
    The van is a 1995 Chev Lumina, Front wheel Drive, and has performed surprisingly well for the abuse I have put it through. Sadly every power option on it has now failed except the radio, and the interior panel on the hatch has been destroyed (450 bucks for the part in a non matching colour!!)

In any case, its time for a truck.

Can I go back and edit my title now??

Chris
  • Options
    engineerbooengineerboo Member Posts: 45
    Nova Craft:

That entirely depends on how severe your winters are. Here in Colorado, I couldn't count the number of 2 wheel drive trucks I've seen at the bottom of hills with ice on them and the trucks not going forwards an inch!

My wife's front-wheel drive van has no problems and neither does my 4 wheel drive Subaru. I'd never have a 2 wheel drive truck here for that very reason.

For me, 2 wheel drive (rear) on a truck isn't even an option....even with hundreds off pounds of weight in the bed to help out.

Good Luck!

Boo
  • Options
    Hi - I'd love to see a picture of the running boards on your truck, or anyone else's for that matter. I don't generally like them, but of course haven't seen one yet on the 05 taco. (I've got the double cab long bed in dark blue...) Thanks!!
    PS. My e-mail is
  • Options
    walterswalters Member Posts: 22
    I've noticed that speedos in most cars on the road register more than actual speed. There are many reasons why manufacturers would want to err in this direction. Gas mileage, liability in case of tickets, or even an accident -- it's very common that speedos read this way. I had a feeling a new head would make no difference. It will be interesting to see what the rep says. I was a Saab tech for many years and we could actually adjust the speedo with the scan tool. I'm surprised that's not an option on the taco.
  • Options
    Thank You!
  • Options
    www.toyotapart.com has the factory lights, for just over $200, including lights, relay, switch.

hammaa. I'll snap a picture Friday, and post it to my web site. I'll post a link here as soon as I can...
  • Options
    clumpclump Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the replies on the putty. As long as it's not just me I feel better LOL.

I too have been looking for a tonneau cover. Both Lund and Extang list them for 2005 Taco. Mine's a long bed, which seems a little harder to find. According to a local shop (Frederick Performance Center in Thurmont, MD) the "flat" models will be available in about 2 weeks and the "hinged" will be about 1 month. These guys have been great and I would reccomend them to anybody in the area. What I'm looking for is a fabric cover that snaps, velcros, or whatever to a frame, not a fiberglass hard tonneau. I had a hard cover 2 trucks ago and while it was great to have a completely dry lockable bed it was a problem with any item taller than the bed rails. The soft covers are much more flexible, imo.
  • Options
    4runnerrip4runnerrip Member Posts: 24
    I'm done with poor availability, I'm not waiting any longer. There's a red dcab just like the one I want just outside my office window. In fact I've only ever seen red ones in the brochures and on the Toyota website. How easy are they to hotwire and steal??? ;-)
  • Options
    jackhammerjackhammer Member Posts: 92
    www.toyotapart.com Price is $336.91US (which is for lamp unit x2,bulb x2, relay and switch assembly)

Any one out there have any experiences with these lights ?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&tc=photo- &item=7948401304&category=36476#ebayphotohosting
  • Options
    stephen1stephen1 Member Posts: 27
    I've ordered a couple of Toyota vehicles in the past - actually they called it "preferencing" when I did it. One took a couple of months to arrive, the other a month or so. I've also ordered from Ford and the wait was around 30 days. I had the dealer order (preference) me a Tacoma a couple of weeks ago also. He said maybe sometime in March I might see the vehicle. Nothing special - just a double cab, auto with TRD in impulse red. I've actually seen an identical truck so I know the factory is spitting a few out. One built during the next few weeks will hopefully have my dealers name on it. Waits for ordered Tacomas early on had taken at least two months but recently I've seen people get them within a month. Keep in mind that certain option combinations may delay the build date.
  • Options
    ltmarltmar Member Posts: 45
    I had a Chevy Lumina as a company car several years ago. I currently have a 1992 2WD Toyota Pickup. Having the heavy engine and transmission sitting over the front wheels made the Lumina excellent in rain and snow. I can't say the same for my 2WD pickup. Since it doesn't have limited slip it is really 1WD. Wheelspin is common in the rain, and I always carry chains if snow or ice is a possibility. I have taken the truck into many off-road situations but have to be very careful not to get in too deep. I have had to turn-around at some creeks and even muddy logging roads that a 4WD would have taken with ease. I will be trading my truck in on a 2005 4WD Toyota this year.
  • Options
    toytrucktoytruck Member Posts: 67
    It's been awhile since the paint chipping on the 2005's was first brought up. Has anyone with this issue had it resolved yet?

Terry
    http://www.geocities.com/toytruck86/paintchip.html
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    FWIW, I would never buy a 2wd pickup, at least not while I am living here in Fairbanks. Chains, weight, and tires will make a 2wd drivable and reliable in winter, but the inconvenience of needing to use the chains nearly every day to navigate my driveway more than offsets the additional cost of 4wd upon purchase. I have a 2wd '69 C20, and it is a wonderful truck: Better than any 2 new trucks combined. But, I do not use it in the winter unless I absolutely must.

If I were in your position, Nova, I would probably be leaning toward the 4wd unless cost is an inhibitor. It will tend increase (I cannot say how much) your maintenance & fuel costs as compared to a 2wd of the same model.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    jeremyr3jeremyr3 Member Posts: 2
    I just ordered my Prerunner Extended Cab V6 with TRD off road towing package in Impulse Red. I was too excited to sleep last night.
    Anyway, I am a DH mountain bike racer and I am always taking my vehicle off-road. But it is normally on bumpy gravel and dirt roads. So, with Off-road tires and a locking rear diff. that I all I will ever need. I live right in the foothills of SC, and we get snow or ice about twice a year at most. So for me, 4wd was not worth the money and weight. But if I lived anywhere near where I would drive in snow, if would be a must.
  • Options
    coldfootcoldfoot Member Posts: 49
    I have been in contact with Toyota on numerous occassions on this matter. Was told yesterday By Toyota to go arbitration route. Isnt this something. Went to dealer and took photos of truck. They have cab gutted. Entire dash and gauges and center console are out. I havent seen where anyone else have had heater problems so I guess this is an isolated incodent.
  • Options
    tjyodertjyoder Member Posts: 22
    I'm looking at purchasing the 2005 D-cab Taco and plan on custom ordering. I want the 6 cd player, but not sure if the JBL is worth the additional $250 over the deluxe 6 cd changer. Has anyone listened to the systems? I'd rather pay the $$ than regret later. Appreciate any input.
  • Options
    jdvailcojdvailco Member Posts: 26
    I drive a 1992 4cylinder 2WD and live in Vai, CO where there is more snow than almost anywhere. I have 2 studded snows on the rear and it drives like a dream. These studded tires are louder on the highway, but they go through anything including deep snow, black ice, and packed snow. I believe your need would be met by 4 quality snow tires (much less loud).

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY on 4WD (higher purchase cost, higher maintenance, higher insurance, lower gas mileage) unless you will be off road in very rough terrain. 2WD plus good snow tires works just fine 99% of the time.
  • Options
    dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    If any body is considering speedway blue,Toyota will not be building any double cabs in it in the SR5 package only the offroad package OG or the sport PT. at least for this quarter
  • Options
    palominopalomino Member Posts: 21
    i have the 6 disc changer with steering wheel controls and no JBL on an '05 Tacoma DC. i'm no audiophile, but i think it sounds just fine. a friend has a 4runner with factory JBL system. it's underwhelming and i can tell no difference.

if it means getting a truck soon or months later the JBL is not worth the wait. just my thoughts.
  • Options
    gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    I don't understand. Your 05 heater went out and they won't cover it under warranty ?????
  • Options
    sonicfluxsonicflux Member Posts: 7
    Hi all,
    Last November I purchased a silver 2005 tacoma double cab longbed with TRD sport package, and I now have 1900 miles on it. I found this forum to be helpful, and I'm posting my experiences in hopes that it may help others.

Buying experience: (btw, this was my first car buying experience) Went to closest dealer and talked to salesman who wouldn't go any lower than $500 off sticker, which put the total cost including tax title and license at over $30k with all the options I wanted. He gave me the "this is a hot new truck so you're gonna have to pay for it" bit, and we walked out with him chasing us asking for my business phone. The next morning he called first thing, but I never answered the call and instead phoned up the other Toyota dealers in area and asked to speak directly with the fleet manager. I talked in product code speak rather than saying "silver double cab," and I think this helped. And these two fleet managers both gave me an offer roughly $2,800 cheaper than the first salesman I met. I purchased the truck from one of the fleet managers.

Lessons learned: Don't go solo when car shopping, especially when talking to a salesman. Know all product codes and deal directly with the fleet manager if possible. Research everything beforehand.

Next post: water damage, premium stereo, and other stuff
  • Options
    (water damage and premium stereo)

So I got the truck in November 2004, and I was extremely pleased with everything. The truck has plenty of get up and go, the suspension and ride quality is excellent, and the premium stereo is satisfactory (more on that later).

However, last month was the first big rainstorm since I bought the truck, and after leaving it in the garage for a weekend, I hopped in the cab expecting the new car smell but was hit with a disgusting mildew smell... sure enough, driver's side floorboard was soaked. I took it to the dealer, and they discovered that the alarm installers failed to plug a hole that was used to pass the alarm wiring through the firewall/floorboard. (It is interesting to note that the alarm system is installed before the vehicle makes it to dealer lot.) They kept the truck overnight, and they replaced all of the padding that got wet, but they did not replace the carpet which was still pretty smelly. I bought some carpet cleaner to knock out the residual smell, and I am satisfied with the dealer's solution, although I would have prefered that the dealer replace the carpet as well, but maybe that is being too picky? It has been two weeks since I had to take it to the dealer, and everything is good.

(premium stereo)
    For those wanting to know if the premium jbl 6disk changer with subwoofer is worth the extra money, here are my thoughts. I consider myself a closet audiophile, and while my previous car was nowhere near the quality of my new taco, I did install a nice audio system. Without going into details, it was an 8 speaker system with 700watts on the mids/highs and 400watts on the 2 subs. No, I don't listen to rap or bass, and yes that car devoured batteries and alternators :p

So of course going from a custom aftermarket system to the factory jbl system does leave something to be desired. In fact the first week I had the truck I thought the jbl system wasn't going to cut it. But after a few more weeks, I changed my opinion to being pleased with the premium audio system. It'll do for now...

I did test drive another taco with the standard audio system, and I feel that the premium jbl system was worth the extra cost for me because I won't be upgrading the stereo until I pay off the truck (i.e. over 3 years). If you plan on upgrading to an aftermarket system within the first year of owning the truck, don't bother with the jbl premium system.
  • Options
    I absolutely love my truck, but am mildly disappointed because you'd think since I "preferenced" my truck and waited just over 2-months, you'd think I'd get exactly what I asked for. 1) I wasn't able to get the tan interior with the TRD Sport package, only grey. 2) I wasn't able to get the JBL stereo pacakge, so now I have to hunt for an after-market product, which may prove tough with that dash, and 3) I didn't ask for the towing pacakge, but it came with, so I was obligated to pay for it (or else wait for the next one...) Other than that, the truck rocks. DBL Cab, PreRunner, Longbed.

PS. I'm currently shopping for off-road tires and wheels, and it looks like I'll need to sell my 17" rims and get some 16" so that I have more clearance for bigger tougher tires. So, I'll have some nearly new TRD Sport package tires and wheels to sell here in the next week. Let me know if anyone is interested...
  • Options
    tacoma05tacoma05 Member Posts: 8
    thanks for the reply I am going to e-mail them now to see if they have developed one or not.
  • Options
    coldfootcoldfoot Member Posts: 49
    Heater is covered under warranty. Toyota says there is no part # for the broken part. Have had this problem since 12/10/04. Heater broke 3 hours after truck was purchased. Its a shame a person has to go through arbitration over something like this.
  • Options
    megamolemegamole Member Posts: 22
    Steve,

I am also impatiently waiting the arrival of my D cab TRD in Silver Streak. I was told when I paid my deposit last Monday Feb 14th it would be in that Thursday/Friday. So I went with it (really wanted Blue) now it is the following Thursday and all the dealer says is it's on a truck at the port. I am in North Central Jersey, the dealer is 15 min from Port Newark. I am really disappointed with the dealer and Toyota. Got them to install more cargo D-rings for the cost of the part, plus they will be covered by the 3yr 36,000 ml warranty. Anything extras you want, get them before you take delivery and they get the warranty coverage. I hope mine comes tomorrow or I am gonna be on the phone again. Jersey Mike
  • Options
    Just turn them off in the day tine if you don't want them on. Switch is to the left of the tach..problem solved.
  • Options
    volleyvolley Member Posts: 298
    You can improve your mileage in a number of ways but most common is a tonneau cover, new exhaust (muffler), and go light on the pedal.

As for the CD player. I have the 6-disc (non-JBL) and I installed new speakers and an amp and the system sounds 10 times better. That is the cheapest route IMO and gives great results.
  • Options
    I think it largely depends on your climate as well. If you get a lot of harsh weather or if you do off-road driving get the 4WD. If cost is an issue you can get the 2WD with limited slip and it will perform well for you too.

I have always purchased 4WD trucks because that's my preference. If you can afford the 4WD I would get it particularly since this is your first truck and you are apprehensive about drivine in bad weather. The 4WD will give you some piece of mind.
  • Options
    clump - Glad to see another MD owner. I'm in Hagerstown.

Anyway, the shop is giving you the run around a little. The Extang is out now. In fact some have them on their trucks already over on the TS site. Also, available in soft tonneaus is Access and Truxedo covers. I just ordered my Access cover last week and is scheduled to be delivered today. I ordered it online at Real Trucks. They have all Access $30 off and free shipping. Their prices are good.

I too like the hard covers which are out already too, but my needs are also better served with the soft cover. IMO the Access is the best out there as far as soft covers go.
  • Options
    Update on water damage:

The truck is at the dealer again :(

It's ironic that as soon as I finished my previous post about how everything was ok, I walked out to the parking lot and discovered that the dealer did not fix the leak the first time. The driver's side floorboard was wet again from the rain today, and the truck was already smelling like mildew. Usually it takes a few days for wet carpet to smell of mildew, but since my carpet wasn't replaced, the mildew smell was already there... just dried out. Splash some water on it, and presto! Instant mildew smell :( I would expect the dealer to do something about the carpet this time.

I took it straight to the dealer, and I'll post again after they fix it right this time.
  • Options
    Have them replace the carpet this time, and don't budge. If they have to do this every time it leaks, then I would think they would try harder to get the leak fixed.

There is no excuse for this problem. I would have had them replace the carpet the first time.
  • Options
    nickt1nickt1 Member Posts: 32
    Sonicflux:

The water leak is a common problem on this truck and Toyota already knows about it. For most people, the problem is centered on leaky seams in the windshield cowl. I didn't have the problem until 3000 miles, and I currently have an appointment for next week. No water visible on the floorboard--just a mildew smell on the carpeting. I stuck my hand under the carpeting, though, and could feel that the padding was soaked. They better replace my carpet--once that mildew smell gets in there, it doesn't go away.