Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,395
    Oh. That doesn't leave many options. I have two other guesses but I'll let others play the game.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,326

Oh. That doesn't leave many options. I have two other guesses but I'll let others play the game.

Four door hatch

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    edited November 2019
    Mazda3

Unless you actually managed to find a non-rusted Protege5.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Toyota Matrix.
  • Options

Toyota Matrix.

Nope. Nope.

You were closer on your 2nd guess

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735
    Pontiac Vibe

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options

Pontiac Vibe

(I meant the EP3 Civic guess)

Vibe was on my list, though

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

Pontiac Vibe

ahhh the Vibe..... right next to the Prism as the most reliable car ever built by GM......er........ yeah. Why should Toyota get any credit :open_mouth:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735
    One of those wacky Accord Crosstours? Not sure if they offered a row your own...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    so my Mazda guess(es) are incorrect?

If so, how about a Honda Fit?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Winner!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    2008 Honda Fit Sport
    133K miles
    Stick shift
    $3400

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Looks properly well-loved.
  • Options
    marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @ What is this winter beater that you got? Subaru outback? Or forester. Honda civic, or accord. Possibly Toyota Corolla stick shift? I know I could be way off with these guesses but why not figured I’d give it a shot.
  • Options
    @zwest oh man, see you were gonna do some car looking but you couldn’t find any couples so you didn’t go oh man.
  • Options
    @zwest I am with you on people neglecting changing transmission fluid, differential fluid, and transfer case fluid even cooler. I tell my family all the time and they don’t do what I say. Even just air filters in cabin filters once a year I keep on top of the stuff just cause that’s the way I am. Even my cousin with his crown Vic he said it almost over two years and I’ve been telling him to change the transmission fluid it’s been over 50,000 miles it was like 55,000 when you got it now it’s 60 something you keep saying yeah I know I have to do it I told him instead of buying this auction cars you should be putting money into your car since you like it and you’re going to keep it. Even the tires are horrible and over five years old, some of them actually closer to 10 years old and three or four different brands on the car, and I told him to two tires at a time take care of your car first then buy one auction car at a time. But what can I say just stay there for advice. He has twin powers yesterday till sell that he’s had since July.
  • Options
    There’s two in Palos that he has these selling one he’s put on eBay a few times with no luck the mileage supposedly is like almost 33,000 miles it’s a mint car he had some body work done to it drives nice. And a black one was 55,000 miles that he’s going to sell soon.
  • Options
    @ New York car guy, nice I’m driving your prelude the other day, how did it feel I know you don’t get to drive it much.
  • Options
    @ Stick guy, nice on the test drive of the Santa Fe with your wife the other day. I think my dad‘s gonna go that route that or a Sorrento next year but not sure if new or used. He drives a lot.
  • Options
    @ broiled, nice on the test drives you did too as well. So what’s the replacement going to be in Wednesday to five leaving the fleet.
  • Options
    @ Corvette glad you finally came to the bottom of what the problem was and no more noise in the pipes.
  • Options
    @ Send man, sorry to hear you weren’t feeling well Saturday and weren’t able to go to the auto show, hope you’re feeling better now Monday, and I hope you’re able to go to the auto show what day this week.
  • Options

Looks properly well-loved.

Issues
    Nexen tires that don't have a lot of life, left.
    Drivers side headlight cover looks like it might be brand-new... Passenger side severely yellowed
    One of the fold down seat back latch levers isn't attached to the latch. Seat back latch locks, and you can open it manually with your finger, but a pain. The other half works fine
    Two sets of keys, but remote locking only works with one of them.
    Some scrapes and dings, but no dents or rusty body parts.
    Wheels are pretty scratched up. Typical for the year/mileage

Good
    Power locks and windows. All work
    Engine, clutch and shifter all seem good, and typical power. (VTEC, baby! lol)
    Stock stereo with CD slot (don't know if the CD works)
    A/C blowing cold on a 58 degree day
    All lights, signals and fog lights work.
    No weird sounds from any mechanical bits or the suspension.
    Factory Honda Fit winter floor mats
    Interior in superb shape for 133K miles. Not even a bolster rip or tear.
    Sport trim/options are nice (wheels, cargo area cover, etc)
    Cheap enough that I won't carry collision/comprehensive on it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
  • Options
    I gotta say I never understand not carrying full coverage on a car. I don’t remember the exact number, but, IIRC, it makes a difference of less than $100/yr. I’d rather not risk losing $3k if the car is totaled for $100/yr.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    qbrozen said:

I gotta say I never understand not carrying full coverage on a car. I don’t remember the exact number, but, IIRC, it makes a difference of less than $100/yr. I’d rather not risk losing $3k if the car is totaled for $100/yr.

My personal calculation would be 10 year payback. So if only $100/year, $1,000 or more would need to be the value. If it saved $400/year, then it would make sense to self-insure a $4,000 and under car.

Remember, not all claims are totals. Also, in CA, you can get uninsured property coverage of $3,500 .

With uninsured claims being the most likely thing in California to happen, that's quality coverage.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I did not even recall that there was a manual G sedan. I have driven a coupe version of that car.

I do like that one. quite a bit. I could live with it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    I will say that a colleague at work has declared the Q60 coupe a disappointing drive. It's a sleek coupe from Infinity with 300 HP. He says it has power, but that it lacks handling, and isn't really a good driver's car.

I do know some of the recent Infinity buyers here remarked how different steering versions of the exact same car could be wildly different in the way they handle/drive. I recall one saying that one was terrible, the other buyable. I told the guy at work that, and he says he must of got the bad one.

I think they are just too heavy. If I was forced to get a G, that would probably be better than the Q's for me.
  • Options
    heard from my SIL that just traded a 2017 (base, no tech package) RDX for a 2020 RDX (also base, no tech package). The changes are absolutely confusing her and she feels like a dinosaur. Imagine if she got all the extra stuff from the tech package?

she is not near me otherwise I am sure she would be over constantly asking questions. So I try to help over the fun, but told her to write down all her issues and go back to badger the poor people at the dealership. And that she will get used to it eventually.

• Options
    stickguy said:

heard from my SIL that just traded a 2017 (base, no tech package) RDX for a 2020 RDX (also base, no tech package). The changes are absolutely confusing her and she feels like a dinosaur. Imagine if she got all the extra stuff from the tech package?

she is not near me otherwise I am sure she would be over constantly asking questions. So I try to help over the fun, but told her to write down all her issues and go back to badger the poor people at the dealership. And that she will get used to it eventually.

I'm starting to figure out that the millenials at work make good IT advisors for "tech" that makes you feel like a dinosaur.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    edited November 2019
    stickguy said:

I did not even recall that there was a manual G sedan. I have driven a coupe version of that car.

I do like that one. quite a bit. I could live with it.

A few years back I helped a friend find a car. They only drive sticks and were tiring of their WRx. I found a silver over black G manual a year old with under 10k miles. They ended up getting for a song

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    @kyfdx - looks like a solid buy, for the price. And, keeps the miles off the ZHP!

The last time @breld, @jpp75 and I were at the Honda dealer, there was a used Fit in front of the building that had a sign on it, proclaiming the car in question had 670,000 miles. Looked in decent shape.

If you only drive yours 6-8k per year, it should still be around in 2087 or so. Maybe your great grandkids will be driving it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    andres3 said:

Pontiac Vibe

ahhh the Vibe..... right next to the Prism as the most reliable car ever built by GM......er........ yeah. Why should Toyota get any credit :open_mouth:
    LOL. The manuals on the Viba/Matrix, shared with the Corolla of that generation, actually had a bad synchro or something, which made the automatic versions much more reliable than the manual.
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

Winner!
    Now you owe him a chicken dinner! :D
  • Options
    High miles, no backup sensors (but appears to have the camera), a newer on with the 3.7 liter engine would be nicer. I love the adjustable thigh supports on the seats (my Journey doesn't have those), there's some interior wear, but the price seems pretty good.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    andres3 said:

I will say that a colleague at work has declared the Q60 coupe a disappointing drive. It's a sleek coupe from Infinity with 300 HP. He says it has power, but that it lacks handling, and isn't really a good driver's car.

I haven't driven the newer generation, but nearly everyone says the current Q50 sedan and Q60 coupe have very poor driving dynamics compared to the older G35/G37/Q40. I'm glad I went with a plus zero tire size on my G37 (to 235 mm width), as the cold weather hardening up the tires, plus the aggressive throttle tip-in, make it easy to peel out when starting off from a right turn, even with the wider rubber. 328 HP is a lot for a 225mm width tire to put to the ground.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    kyfdx said:

Drivers side headlight cover looks like it might be brand-new... Passenger side severely yellowed
    Cheap enough that I won't carry collision/comprehensive on it.

The Fit is GO! :)

Congrats! Sounds like a great deal... I'd leave the headlight polishing to the professionals - I've had mediocre results with the kits you buy at the auto parts store, and it's about $30 for a kit vs. $50 to have a pro come to you and fix it. I also think I'll always carry comprehensive, unless I verify the out of pocket cost of replacing a windshield on whichever car is in question - zero deductible glass coverage on comp has installed a free windshield on just about every car I've had. They replaced the G37's windshield due to pitting.
  • Options
    andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

My personal calculation would be 10 year payback. So if only $100/year, $1,000 or more would need to be the value. If it saved $400/year, then it would make sense to self-insure a $4,000 and under car.

Remember, not all claims are totals. Also, in CA, you can get uninsured property coverage of $3,500 .

With uninsured claims being the most likely thing in California to happen, that's quality coverage.
    Not all claims are totals of course, but far more likely to happen on a low-dollar car. I think my break point would be a vehicle with maybe $2k replacement value.

• Options
    @ciste nice congrads. On the punch. On the fit! And we have a name change for you too ha ha Ha.
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Hey Q - hopefully it's okay that I post this here instead of RWTIV, but I'd like others opinions on the cars themselves as well...

I'm interested enough in these to get your opinion on values:

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Limited V6 4x4 w/ Luxury Group 2
    Blue over black
    18k miles

https://www.autonationchryslerjeeparapahoe.com/certified/Jeep/2019-Jeep-Grand+Cherokee-ce1fb7820a0d0cc7322a98f5ccae0814.htm

2016 MB GLE 350 4matic
    Premium Package 1
    Blue over beige
    32k miles

http://www.motorcarsofdenver.com/pre-owned-cars/detail/2016-Mercedes-Benz-GLE-350/435378

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    And while I'm at it, what's an updated estimate on auction/trade on my trade?

2018 Audi A5 Sportback
    Prestige Trim, S Line, Driver Assistance, Ventilated Sport Seats
    20k miles
    Gray over black

• Options
    So my thoughts on the MB vs Jeep. After driving the GLE 350 yesterday afternoon, I was pretty set on that model - even after testing the GLE 400 last week, I was quite impressed with the grunt of the naturally aspirated V6 in the 350. And there are a ton of those around on the used market. For something like the 2016 model I drove, I'm getting a nice quality interior and a handsome exterior, with factory warranty for another year or so.

But then I figured I may as well take another drive of a Grand Cherokee and I was surprised at how nicely that drove. This one was newer of course (the 2019 w/18k miles), but it seemed to drive about as nicely as the MB, and its V6 was also engaging. The interior is fine enough and functional, but as old as the design is, I particularly like the exterior design of the Jeep.

One major question I have, and I think I know the answer to it...what are the opinions on depreciation going forward on each of these? Basically...what's the better value? A 1 year old Grand Cherokee at $14k off original MSRP (more like $10k off real world pricing), or a 3 year old GLE at around half its original MSRP?

Any other opinions and experiences on these choices are welcome.

• Options
    dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    You mention depreciation, I haven't had the chance to really dig into it just yet, but this website was mentioned in a video I was watching last night: usedfirst.com. Apparently it shows how vehicles depreciate to get the best value.
  • Options
    Love both colors. But like interior color on the GLE.

On the Jeep, sure you won’t regret not getting a hemi?

• Options
    stickguy said:

I had the same thought.
  • Options
    Went down this path already with the durango

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    stickguy said:

Love both colors. But like interior color on the GLE.

Gives him an excuse to trade it in 2 1/2 months later.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    @breld

$33k fair retail on the jeep
    $30k on the MB
    $33k-$34k trade on your Audi

Ya know, the forum title is kind of a joke, but I think you seriously do need help. It seems, from an outside perspective, you are going about one of the most expensive ways to rent cars.

• Options
    C'mon, he's had the A5 for almost a year, and has only had three punches in the past 12 months! :p