Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• deans1deans1 Posts: 24
    Thanks for input...It would seem buying a manual is really for the fun of it rather than practical matters with today’s advanced technology. I was concerned about manual versus auto in bad weather conditions. I am currently working with VW and "may" need to make these considerations.
  • My 2000 Jetta TDI drives great -- 112,000 --- BUT, last March I had to replace the diesel fuel injection pump at $1800. Now the check engine light is on, and a local mechanic says the code indicates torque converter failure. Anyone have experience with this? Can the the converter be replaced/rebuilt? Or will a new auto transmission be required? $3-4,000!!! Not really happy. Symptoms are fluctuating rpms. Too bad it drives so great, because everything else is breaking: glove compartment door, cup holder, mirror adjustment switch. :sick:
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    A good (not AAMCO) transmission shop should be able to rebuild/replace whatever is bad on the transmission. Ask around, and see who is recommended locally. A VW dealer will simply swap in a factory reman tranny for $3,000-$4,000 as you mentioned. A good rebuild should be less than $2,000. Auto trannys don't last much over 120,000-140,000 on average. I was talking to a tranny guy awhile back and he said these VW automatics are generally quite good and can last 200k miles ore more easily. The ones he's rebuilt have some sort of pump problem that will degrade the torque converters life. He said it was probably bad from day one but some lasted a long time anyway.
  • Does anyone know if they VW-Audi is thinking of bringing their Euro Diesel over? in Europe they have 3 Liter V6 that has an output of 204Cv and a ton of torque. Will it ever make it on the Audi A4? I'd like to get an A4 Avant, but i wil gladly wait if the diesel is coming anytime soon,
    Thanks
  • pruzinkpruzink Posts: 112
    THe 3 most popular choices for anti gel additives that people use in the winter are: 1) Standyne performance formula 2) Power Services (white bottle) available at Walmart or Auto zone 3) Howe's Diesel treat with anti-jell. I just bought a 5 gallon container of the Stanadyne performance formula from www.blueridgediesel.com. It was $129, but it will last a very long time. Stanadyne performance will drop the Gel point to -66 degF. It will also boost your cetane and has a lubricity improver. Pilot gas stations are selling the Howe's diesel treat with anti-gel for $54 for a case of 6each 1/2 gallons (most truck stops sell the Howe's also). If you get the case, there is a card inside of it where you can register as a Howe's user and if your fuel gels in the winter they will pay for your tow. The Howe's will prevent gelling down to -33 degF. The Power Services white can be purchased at Walmart, Auto Zone or most other chain automotive stores. Usually it sells for about $13 per 1/2 gallon. The power services also has a cetane booster and a lubricity improver. I think they say it will drop the gel point 40 degF in your fuel. There are some lengthy discussions at tdiclub.com on these additives (there are others also) if you want to read more on them.
  • jag11jag11 Posts: 2
    HI I JUST BOUGHT A NEW JETTA 2006 TDI TRIPTRONIC AND IT TOO HAS A RATTLING SOUND WHEN YOU ARE IN PARK OR SWITCH BETWEEN GEARS . EVEN IN PARK. SO I ASKED THE DEALER AND HE REPLIED THAT IT WAS A CHARACTERSTIC OF THIS MODEL. I AM STILL WORKING ON IT.
  • jag11jag11 Posts: 2
    HI I JUST BOUGHT A NEW JETTA 2006 TDI TRIPTRONIC AND IT HAS A RATTLING SOUND WHEN YOU ARE IN PARK OR SWITCH BETWEEN GEARS . EVEN IN PARK. SO I ASKED THE DEALER AND HE REPLIED THAT IT WAS A CHARACTERISTIC OF THIS MODEL. I AM STILL WORKING WITH THE DEALER TO GET IT FIXED. ANY ONE ELSE HAS THE SAME PROBLEM. I HAVE 1000 KM ON IT.
  • sean9sean9 Posts: 82
    Your dealer is obviously wrong telling you that it is a "Characteristic of this model." As a proud owner of the new 2006 TDI Jetta, mine sounds and runs perfectly. I would not let a problem like this be ignored, talk to your sales & service manager together, if no solution is reached talk to VW directly.
  • crosley4crosley4 Posts: 295
    MY 2006 TDI with the DSG tranny does not make any rattling noises in gear , park or neutral
  • I drove by a $1.99/gal today for regular unleaded. Diesel is still higher than gas, but coming down some too.

Anybody seeing dealers starting to budge off sticker yet on TDIs?
  • F THE MAN! I just brought a 06 TDI, and would like to have some advice on break in procedure (yes, I can read the manual). I ask this because I thought I saw some blog about run it hard for a short distance, then back off. I thought it said something about doing this to keep from Glazing the cylinders, and if you glaze the cylinders, you will always get bad mileage etc.

Just a funny note, the car I am thinking of getting rid of is a XJR Jag, and my other car is a Ferrari Challenge track car I drive on the street/track. I have often wondered what other folks drive. Often people think these cars are for the first time buyers, or financially prudent. I think the TDI is just fine with me!
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,701
    The break in procedures in reality lasts app 50-60k. Broken in correctly (and barring any oem defects) the TDI engine is capable of extremely long term service. You might want to look on the TDICLUB web site and do a search.

This ought to start you off. link title

Pay particular attention to stuff written by Drivbiwire.

Rather than detailing the procedures essentially one wants to work the turbo correctly, stay in the sweet spots of the turbo, torque curve of the diesel, and transmission selection: DSG auto or 5/6 speed manual, as well as fulfill longevity goals of the NON TDI stuff. So to address the break in portion you want to be lightly to fairly aggressive in the rev department from 75 % to REDLINE at 5100 rpms. The other thing to look and feel for is the torque band.

There are multiple things you want to do and also to avoid doing, such as: lugging the engine and since diesels drive differently than gassers you want to drive the diesel as a diesel.
  • Thanks for the information, the site will be most helpful indeed!
  • sean9sean9 Posts: 82
    Has anyone had to add oil between oil changes in a 2006 Jetta TDI? I do not have enough miles on my car yet to tell. But should I expect to be adding oil at all besides the scheduled oil change? Wondering if I should keep a few liters of oil on hand.

Thanks
  • I sold my 99 Q45 Tour for the TDI (DSG). It's an amazing car with incredible fuel mileage. I am probably going to chip it down the raod to get more power and even better mileage.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,701
    On a 2003 Jetta TDI, No. and no.

Whether you have to add oil or not it makes sense to keep a min of 1 quart (in the trunk, for travel) up to the next oil change.
  • eyc51keyc51k Posts: 41
    I am considering a 06 Jetta TDI with a five speed manual transmission. This one is pretty much loaded with a package two. I know someone out there already has one with some miles on it and I was wondering what real world mileage on the highway I can realistically expect? I didn't read all of these forums and maybe this has been covered and if so, please excuse me and point me in that direction. Thanks...Eric
  • I have an 06 tdi 5 speed (pkg 1). I have calculated my mpg every fillup. I started out in the 36 mpg range and am now up to 39-41 average after just over 3,000 mi. This is a nice mix of highway, suburban, and city driving.
  • eyc51keyc51k Posts: 41
    Well thank you.

I just picked up an 06 package 2 with 5 speed yesterday and I will soon find out. I do drive a lot of highway so maybe I'll do even better.

Love the Sat radio!!
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,898
    i bet you 06 jetta TDI folks are going to see 10% better mpg after 10k miles or so ... enjoy!