Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Tucson Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I got a quote from a dealer in Bel Air, Md. yesterday for a 2005 lx4wd. no sunroof or other extras msrp is 23,404. Here's how he did it: Price of vehicle less $1000 rebate, 500 loyal owner rebate, 1000 off if I finance with Hyundai. he waive the $100 documentation fee and the $195 tag fee. The end result is 21,433. He said the 6% sales tax (PA) has to be taken against the msrp before deducting incentives. It seems to me he isn't giving much, most of it is from Hyundai. Should I push for a better deal? Also, how much is the Hyundai bumper to bumper extended warranty? Thanks, Rose
    Any extra advise would be great. I feel like a fish out of water working with these dealers.
  • I was able to get a price of $21,800 (including $1k rebate to finance through Hyundai but before title & taxes) on a fully loaded 2006 Tucson Limited with accessory package 3 (sunroof) at Clay Hyundai in Newton, MA. I did not qualify for the loyalty rebate. They were absolutely great to deal with - very friendly, cooperative, worked easily over the phone. I highly recommend giving them a call.

My experience at Herb Connolly in Natick was terrible. I had gotten a price on the same car of $22,000 (including $1k Hyundai rebate). That was where I did my initial test drive, and I figured for $200 that I owed them. As I was reviewing the paperwork to sign the deal, I asked the salesman what the Hyundai finance rate was going to be. He responded that the finance manager was out and he could not give me the rate because it depended on them running my credit report, the final sales date, etc. I said fine, but could he give me the approximate rate for someone with a top credit rating. He said that he couldn't give me my rate because the finance guy was out (all he had to do was lie & say 6% - I would never have known the difference). We went around for a few minutes & I asked to see the manager. The salesman say "look guy I can't tell you the rate - do you want the car or not?" I stood up, said thank you, and went to shake his hand - he refused & walked away. I left and the manager ran out to find out what the problem was - no problem for me since the chances of me ever giving them a dime are zero.
  • rxcaptrxcapt Posts: 17
    Hi, I bought mine at the end of August. I got the 2005 LX 4wd w/sunroof and
    crossrails and I paid about the same, but I got one with all the options except
    the mudflaps (I had these added later). So the deal is not that bad but
    considering the sunroof is an $800+ plus option, I think you could do a bit
    better.

I bought it from Fitzgerald Hyundai, they are a no haggle dealer and although
    they were VERY SLOW on delivery day I am fairly confident I got a good deal. You
    might want to call them and see if they can beat the price.

I would be very wary of sponsored financing. In order to get the rebate you are
    taking their financing and the question is, if you could get better financing
    would you do better in the long run. I got my loan at 4.5%, and will do better
    over the life of the loan.

I got the full 10/100000 Hyundai extended warranty for just over $1,000. On a
    previous car I paid about the same price for an extended warranty with less
    provisions and it turned out the warranty company went belly up and I lost my
    money (WARRANTY GOLD, Inc). Moral:It may cost more than a secondary market
    extended warranty but if you wan to buy one I would buy one from the factory
    only. I have heard on the web that there are other Hyundai dealers who will sell
    you an extended factory warranty for ~$800. They can do this as they are not
    going to have to honor it (the dealer you take it to will) so they can shave the
    price and still make out.

Best of luck!

P.S. I have 3500 miles on it, first oil change today, and the car is running
    fine, and mileage on a mixed highway city driving in Maryland suburbs is about
    21-22mpg.
  • Your point about the Hyundai rate is a great point and is what caused the problem for me at Herb Connolly when I was negotiating on the 2006 Tucson Limited. I have a loan commitment for 5%, and the Hyundai rate was quite a bit higher. I was financing over five years and estimated that the Hyundai rate would cost me about $750 extra over that time, thus reducing the $1k rebate to only $250. That is why the salesman (in my estimation) refused to tell me the rate. He wanted my deposit first, and then a few days later I would find out that the rate was 8% - which is what the sales manager told me the rate was as I drove away without buying the car from them.
  • Rick, I went in today and picked up a 2005 lx to take overnight. The guy I was supposed to see could not be there early, so he left me a message last night to see another guy that works with him. I forgot the name of the person, so when I went in to the showroom, they just started spouting names. No one seemed to know what it was about. I ended up with a salesperson that figured my salesman sent me to him. Any way, They pretty much gave me no reason to expect anymore off. I asked the price of the extended factory warranty and got an off the cuff 1500 but theirs is just as good and less expensive, by the manager. I hate the red, and the blue they offered was waiting on a radio, seems, someone crossed wires and blew the battery and radio.

Boy now I'm really getting nervous. I think they could do better than they have done. I haven't had leather interior before, and am not sure my life style works with it. (hauling plants and things around. I keep a car forever, my subaru legacy is 11 years old, and I'm only getting a new car, because I'm told by my husband --it's time. I'm not too confident about Jones Junction in Bel Air. That's where I ended up. My daughter got a Elentra in July from Jack Giambalvo in York, Pa. They were nice; but the sales guy seems so out of it. he never seems to know what they have or what price they can give me. I feel like I.m pulling teeth when I talk to him. Anyway to force them to give their best deal and stop goofing around?
  • There are three Hyundai dealerships in the Boston area. The one in Wilmington was completely out to lunch on their prices, and getting them to ever call me back was impossible. I just kept calling Clay and Connolly, always dealing with the internet salesperson, and played them off against each other. I refused to come in to the showroom without at least a verbal price approval from the manager. Make sure that you know of all the rebates from edmunds. I also looked over prices paid to get an idea of where other prices were at & started on the very lowest side.
    I would take it back first thing in the morning and say good-bye. They can do better. As soon as you walk out they will. Do not settle for what you don't want because you will regret it the whole time you own your car...and that can be along time. Again I went to Fitzgerald. I told them what I wanted, we went over things, the car I wanted wasn't there but within 24hrs they had one from Len Storer Hyundai brought down for me.

As for the leather, in my opinion it is better than cloth. But that is my opinion. I am assuming you only haul plants in the back and not up in the real passenger area. After I got my Tucson I broke it in by carrying 20 bags of pine bark mulch, I just drop the back seat and lay a blanket down, done and done.

Rosemarie, there are other Hyundai dealers out there who would be happy to sell you a car. You can buy it anywhere and take it anywhere for service. The loyalty stuff is just like mulch, something you spread around. As for a non-factory dealer based warranty, I had one from Kline Ford on my Taurus I had back in the 90s. It was a dealer warranty, but then they moved 30miles away and the new Ford dealer did not want to honor it. If you get the factory warranty any Hyundai dealer has to honor it. Buying an off brand dealer warranty is risky, sure they will jack up the Hyundai extended warranty to make theirs look attractive, that way they don't have to share the money with Hyundai. Call Hyundai directly (check the website under the tucson screen). $1500 is way way too much. Again I got mine for exactly $1028. I know some people who got it down to $900. Tell them you know they are trying to pull something and that you are not buying. They are the ones who need to sell not you. :mad:
  • I also had a terrible experience at Herb Connolly that lasted from 10-30 thru 11-4. I went there with my daughter to cosign a loan for her. I have excellent credit hers is not very good. After being told she could not purchase a new Tuson at the price she was willing to pay, they showed her a used 2004 Santa Fee and assured her they could get her in that car for the price she wanted to pay. She test drove the car and we agreed. they sent us out to lunch and promised when we returned the car would be ready and she could take it home. Not only did she not take it home we had to hound them several times daily for the entire next week. I spoke to everyone, including managers, sales managers, finance managers, all we could get was that they were working on the credit, because of my daughter's poor credit it would take sometime. Finally we demanded that we would come in on Friday 11/4 to pick up the car or get our deposit back. When we went in they had upped the price 70 per month (because they could not go 72 months, could only go 60) and told me that they had to take me off the credit app and put in my daughters name only. Also, the bank would not agree to the car she wanted so they chose another car (not an suv) for her. This other car was another year older and had 47,000 miles. Totally unacceptable. We demanded our deposit back, they issued the credit on my credit card for 200, I had left a deposit of 500. When I pointed out the error they then credited the additional 300. We have since gone to Empire Hyundai in Fall River and purchased a 2006 Tuscon, with me as a co applicant on the loan we spent 3 hours there and went home with the car. DO NOT EVER DO BUSINESS WITH HER CONNOLLY. Does anyone know who I can complain to. We plan to write to the President and to the Hyundai manufacturer to complain.
  • I am checking out the Tuscon. First, it is not 6K less than the CRV...top of the line CRV maybe but not all. Still it is CHEAPER.

Some questions as a person who just started looking.

1) Do they have a model that has color coded cladding or is it always black. I hated those black bumpers on the CRV too!
    2) Do they sell extended warranty's? We usually get 7 - 8 years coverage. I know it comes with 5? What does a 0 deductible 7/75 warranty cost...I realize it is really a 2 year extension but do they sell them?
    3) What is gas mileage like in the 6 cylinder.
    4) Is the rear seating and cargo as roomy as the CRV.
    5) Is it worth waiting for an 06? Are any changes expected?

We seriously looked at a Tucson. We would have taken delivery if the interior color on the car they acquired from another dealer was correct. We had second thoughts about Hyundai reliability and got a CRV-SE instead. I also did the math regarding lower purchase price of the Tucson vs. the better gas mileage of the CRV and since we are planning to keep the car for a long time (6-10 years), the better reliability and gas mileage of the Honda won out. We are very happy with our decision. The Honda also has much more cargo capacity. I must admit though, I do like the look of the Tucson better. And the auto-manual.
  • guyfguyf Posts: 456
    1-Yes
    2-Yes
    3-Not too good.
    4-Seating yes, cargo no.
    5-If you want color coded cladding, you have to go to 06.
    1.) Color cladding is coming, but The cladding on Tucson looks very sharp and is not like some others.
    2.) Yes they sell an extended warranty. The standard powertrain warranty (engine/transmission) is 10yrs/100,000. For about $1000 you can get the entire car for 10yrs/100,000 (some dealers will go as low as $900 on the warranty).
    3.) I have about 4,500 miles on my V6 Tucson and here in the DC Metro area, mostly trips less than 20 miles in traffic, I get about 20mpg. On a trip down to Va. Beach (~200miles) I got about 22-24mpg. Not too bad, but it is not a fuel mizer. It really needs a 5speed for long trips, but they do not offer one (yet).
    4.) I am tall and I think the rear seating is fine in Tucson. As for cargo I have carried a fair amount of odd sized stuff in mine, including about 15 bags of pine bark mulch, Easy to load and unload.
    5.) I would not expect a big change in 2006. There are rumors of a new engine, and possibly a 5 speed coming but that may not be until 2007-not sure. I throughly enjoy mine.

The CR-V is fine, but to be honest, it seems a bit tinny in construction, especially the doors seem weak. The Tucson is very stable and feels solid to drive. It is no sports car make no mistake. As for the comments about reliability, I would mention something the CR-V salesman told me when I told him I was looking at a Tucson, he sneered and said "If you make a good car you don't need a good warranty". To which I said "If you make a good car you can AFFORD a good warranty." Obviously we did not have a good test drive after that, hope this helps!
  • If you implying that the Tucson will be just as reliable as the CRV and that Honda could not afford to warrantee the CRV for 10 years, I disagree. Honda does not need to offer a 10 year warranty in order to sell the car. Hyundai does.
    You are right, Honda does not NEED to offer a 10 year warranty to sell their cars. If they can sell without it, it is more money in their pocket and less in yours...

All this is question of perception. Hyundai is still somewhat stuck with the image of the Pony. Even tough their cars are just as reliable as any others today, the perception is still there and to shake away this perception, they have to provide a longer warranty.

Honda, on the other hand, sells on the excellent reputation they built in the 80's and 90's. In those years their cars were so much more reliable than the american and european cars that the public still perceive them today as more reliable than most others. They may still have an edge but at most it is a very small one. They have cut cost a lot in the last few years... ;)

With the much lower price and longer warranty of the Tucson, for me the choice was obvious.
  • We just got 25mpg in mixed driving on our first tank in our new '06 CRV-SE (AWD). Assuming 20mpg in a Tucson..

at 12K miles/year and $2.50/gallon you would save $300/year in the CR-V
    at 12K miles/year and $3.00/gallon you would save $360/year in the CR-V
    at 15K miles/year and $2.50/gallon you would save $375/year in the CR-V
    at 15K miles/year and $3.00/gallon you would save $450/year in the CR-V

You get the idea. The initial "much lower price" of purchasing a Tucson rapidly disappears over the first years of ownership. Not to mention resale value where the Honda will be guaranteed to hold up, same can't be said of the Hyundai.

Don't get me wrong, the Tucson is a great little car. I almost bought one. Good luck with yours and I hope for your sake you are correct. I just felt the Honda was a financially better choice.
    You have a good point comparing the CRV to a 6 cyl. Tucson.
    Ours is the 4 cyl. and we get 23.5 mpg in mostly city driving.

The CR-V is certainly a very good vehicle. I owned one of the first ones to get here in March 97. I owned it for 4 years and had nothing to complain about reliability wise.

Enjoy your CR-V! :)
    No, I was not implying that at all, I was implying that the Honda salesman was immediately threatened when he heard the name Hyundai had to counter with an immediate comment that 1) belitted the Hyundai and 2) was a backhand Honda compliment. THAT was the point I was making.
    The point has been made, but why not again, the trick of comparing a 4cylinder CR-V to a 6cylinder Tucson and then decrying the mileage is a tired one. I would point out one thing that is always on the CR-V forums...a wish for a V-6 option!

Enjoy your CR-V, I love my Tucson, V-6 mileage (and extra horsepower) and all. :)
  • The reason I compared the V6 Tucson to the I4 CR-V is that those are the top trim levels that I was cross shopping. You cannot get the loaded Tucson with a I4. And your "extra horsepower" has no real world significance (i.e. no appreciable performance gain). 170-something horsepower for a V6 is pretty poor if you ask me anyway, especially for the mileage you get in return.
    Ultimately it is a matter of opinion. Still you could have made your comparison a bit more relevant if you had indicated upfront you were comparing an I4 to a V6. A casual reader would not have known that, irrespective of your opinion as to real world relevance, it is something people do consider. If the shoe was on the other foot you would certainly call it CR-V bashing if this type of information was left out. Besides to quote Shakespeare "me doeth think you protest too much".
  • just relaying my reasoning behind buying the CR-V over the Hyundai. As I said before, the Tucson is a great little truck and I hope you are happy with it. From my perspective, you are the one the doeth protest too much.
  • Regarding Not Protesting and Mileage Math... I think one interesting point about this debate is that we're going on and on over two FOREIGN CARS... No American SUVs are even getting a mention. As for me, the last four cars I owned were American. All were duds.

I bought a 2005 Tucson GLS with the V6 in August. First BRAND NEW car I've owned in 42 years of driving. I LOVE it. We compared the Tucson to a friend's CRV and liked the Hyundai's added safety features, ride and the fit & finish both inside and outside. Style is not a major consideration since we drive cars at least 7-10 years. Plus, the Tucson was about $6,000 less than the CRV. Have almost 5,800 miles on it now and absolutely NO problems. If it keeps up that way, I'll be a brand-loyal customer.
  • What added safety features does the Tucson have that the CRV does not?
    Stability control?
  • Stability Control, Traction Control, six airbags, standard driving lights, heated windshield wipers, electronic brake force distribution and a spare tire that's not mounted on the tailgate raising the center of gravity. At least that's what I thought in August.
  • CR-V has stability control, traction control and electronic brake force distribution. I hardly see the spare tire thing as a safety issue. Ditto heated windshield wipers (might get you going sooner in the morning but as long as you have a brain and don't drive with your windshield iced over it is not a safety issue, more of a convenience issue).

CRV is also proven safe in crash testing. Tucson has yet to be tested.
  • The Tucson has been tested and received 5 stars across the board.

Tucson Crash Test

;)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,450
    ..but this is a prices paid forum for the Tuscon..

We have a lot of forums available for comparing the Tuscon and CR-V... or, just to discuss the Tuscon's many attributes...

So, let's move it on over there...

thanks,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I paid $17099 (= 22099(MSRP) - 2000(dealer disc.) - 1000(customer cash rebate) - 1000(Hyundai finance rebate) - 500(Hyundai royalty rebate) - 500(trade-in of 98 Elantra with dead transmission)).
    As mentioned in the title, this is 2005 model, not 2006.
    I drove it upto 500 miles so far and I really like it.
    My cash on it was worthwhile.
  • worth the price or not? Thanks for your opinion!

Purplewolf
  • apvapv Posts: 2
    Hi All; I called about 7 or 8 dealerships for a "bid" on a 2006 Tucson (I told them I was calling multiple dealers for bids)...
    The lowest "bid" that I was told was their "final offer" and was $22,500 + sales tax (freight and PDI included in price quoted). These are Canadian dollars btw :)

I sent my brother in, for a quick test and he was given a quote of $25,500 + sales tax.
    So should I assume that my quote for a 2006 GL 2.0L FWD - Air Pkg MANUAL is a really good deal even though it is above MSRP (but the lowest of 8 dealerships) or should I expect to save a bit more if I keep at them. I was hoping to pay $22,000 + sales tax...is this unrealistic?

Thanks in advance for any help....I am so new at this!