Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-series vs Lexus IS

Comments

• Options
    mikegillermikegiller Member Posts: 602
    You misinterpreted what I had said. I did not say they are more worthy. What I did say was that they have an affect on the US economy. That's it.

It's almost like you take whatever opportunity you have to twist other's words.
  • Options
    What is that, a Daewoo?
  • Options
    digital_bdigital_b Member Posts: 129
    the tl is built only in the united states in marysville ohio. this is also where the accord it built which of course is what the tl is based on.
  • Options
    digital_bdigital_b Member Posts: 129
    the exterior looks pretty good to me especially in white but the interior, much like the 5 series is incredibly cheap looking.
  • Options
    pg48477pg48477 Member Posts: 309
    You are going the wrong way with this. I don’t think anyone in the right state of mind consider what the passenger will think about the car you buying. I can understand asking your wife, but future girlfriends???? If the only way for you to get with women is buying a Lexus, that’s to bad. Plus, after all this time arguing that BMW is more prestigious then a Lexus and people buying BMW for the badge, you know saying that Lexus is more prestigious, at least in the women’s world???? With this one paragraph, you contradicted the only argument Lexus fans had on why BMW sells so many vehicles.

I am not going to argue about styling, it’s very subjective, but I happened to like the pictures you posted, thanks for brightening our day.

Dumb design??? What is that mean???
  • Options
    ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    Styling is better? Give me a break...The new 3-series styling is just plain dumb...a pic is worth a thousand words.

Again, you forgot to put IMO! ;)

Well IMO, the 3 series looks good.
  • Options
    "you contradicted the only argument Lexus fans had on why BMW sells so many vehicles."

Not really. Some people like the dumb styling.

:P

IMO.
  • Options
    pg48477pg48477 Member Posts: 309
    lol
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Pink What? Sounds like just another brick in the wall to me... Never heard of them. Perhaps they were just eclipsed by the better known bands out there.

Ba dum, PSSSSHHH!
  • Options
    ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Styling is better? Give me a break...The new 3-series styling is just plain dumb...a pic is worth a thousand words.

I find reality (seeing in person) is a better way to judge a three dimensional object than a picture.

When the new 3 series appeared I wasn’t particularly impressed with the photos…I thought it looked ok.

When the IS first appeared in photos I was impressed with what I saw…or more accurately I wasn’t as disappointed as I thought I would be.

Now back to reality…every time I see a new 3 series (in person) it always gets my attention. I think it is one of the best looking sedans on the road today.

When I see the new IS, it doesn’t grab me…it looks cheap; going on my experience with pervious Lexus models, I assume it’s well built and the materials aren’t economy grade…the styling just looks cheap. It’s difficult to pin down, I just don’t “see” a 40K+ automobile…this is SEE of course…the V6 can make the price worth it.

My exterior raking out be:
    TL
    9-3
    CTS
    G35
    MB C
    A4 (the rear lost it for me)
    S60
    IS

Being the bottom of the list doesn’t give the IS the Aztec ranking…it just means I find the others more appealing
  • Options
    neko608neko608 Member Posts: 58
    9-3??!
    CTS?!
    S60?!

Come on that is just ridicoulous!!!!!!
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735
    Re: The totally subjective topic of styling, I find both the 3 and IS to be lookers although in totally different directions. The 3 is somewhat more rounded/bulky looking with distinctive cut lines. The rear view is too Infiniti G20, though. The front is quite stylized. The least Bangled of the BMWs to my eye (The 6 would be a beauty if not for that horrible, cheap, tacked-on looking afterthought of a trunk...).
    The IS is a smooth, chiseled aggresive wedge free of too much exterior adornment. Simple, aggressive (Current "Mean Look" idiom) front end (not unlike my stunning TL, :) ). Clean in profile, if a bit slab-sided and a good, though not distinctive rear end. And, I'm assuming, the rear side window establishing the "L-Finesee" style of the Lexus line, akin to the BMW "dog leg" theme.

My version of Ivan's list:

TL: A Japaneese built in the US with German and Italian styling influences. A beauty.
    IS: See above review
    330: See above review
    A4: Always a handsome look, altlhough the original is still the best. It still looks good today.
    9-3: Handsome, but a bit generic looking.
    G35: Nissan diluted this style with the (also handsome) Altima. Unique, but too me it looks too tall/skinny.
    S60: Nice, but look quick is it an S80, S60 or S40?
    MB C: Bland, proportions just don't seem quite right.
    CTS: a basic handsome design marred by too many addtional layers and lines. Both ends are terrible. The only Caddys that work for me are the XLR and SRX. I find the new STS a bit dull and somewhat awkward from the C-pillar back.

To me, the CTS is no Aztek. But among sport sedans, it is...

Interior wise, the 3 falls further down the list...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    cts....

CTS......

CTS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Anyone with a morsel of taste or appreciation for tasteful, elegant design would not mention a CTS above a C Class, A4 or IS.

CTS is appealing to me in the sense that it makes me throw up all over myself each time I see it.

You are alone with a select few when you say you think the IS looks 'cheap'.

The front end of the new 3, in my opinion, looks like a KIA.

• Options
    lexus_jnlexus_jn Member Posts: 102
    "the styling just looks cheap. It’s difficult to pin down, I just don’t “see” a 40K+ automobile"

yea right....thank you for pointing out the biggest failure of the new 3-series :-)

Without looking at the BMW logo you would think it's one of the cars produced by a cheap or unknown brand. Did someone mention Daewoo? :P
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    You are alone with a select few when you say you think the IS looks 'cheap'.

No, there are more than a few who think it looks cheap and looks like a Civic. (Note: I didn't say Lexus used cheap materials). Styling is subjective, but saying the 3 series looks like a Kia is a bit to the left of subjective. You are alone with a select few when you say the 3 series looks cheap.
  • Options
    "yea right....thank you for pointing out the biggest failure of the new 3-series :-)"

I now get it. :) I thought he was talking about the IS, thanks for the correction.
  • Options
    "Without looking at the BMW logo you would think it's one of the cars produced by a cheap or unknown brand. Did someone mention Daewoo? :P"

Actually when you remove the "L" you get a Civic, replace the L with an H and sell it for $16,000.
  • Options
    These are also things BMW owners have to say about the new 3-series.... so please don't blame us for putting words in your mouth. If you own one and have not suffered the pain you must be really lucky. Truth is ..you just never know WHEN it's going to happen. Is it really worth $40,000 investment?

http://www.car.com/content/research/vir/index.cfm/vehicle_number_int/1016877/Act- - ion/Reviews

"The car is very stylist,flashy,you can't beat the 4year 50,000 mile warranty on everything including normal wear parts such as brake pads,rotors and anything you can think. Good buy for the money."

Frederick S. (Memphis , Tennessee - January, 2006)

"Had to peel me out of the passenger seat the drive tore around hairpin turns and beyond jackrabbit starts, it was awesome! I'll probably never drive it that way but it is reassuring to know that it can handle fierce turnes and raging stops and starts!"
    Chattaroy , Washington - September, 2005

"Okay so BMW is more classy than a Honda, VW, and what not (maybe?), but I have had serious problems with mine. Not just minor service requirments but major issues. I have had to have the car towed twice. The first because the car was shaking violently. They needed to replace the coils in the engine. That took a week and they did not have a loaner car for me. I had to rent one. Then it died on my in a parking lot and had to get a tow truck to the dealership. It was not the battery, they had to replace the fuel tank. Then a few months after that all the brakes had to be replaced. BMW is a great ride yes, but reliability no. "
    Belmont , California - February, 2006

"The appearance of the car is beautiful and that's where it stops. The first thing you notice is the whiney transmission. It sounds like an old Ford pickup. The road noise is very loud. The car was using oil every 1200 miles and finally they replaced the engine at 10000 miles. I had the car back for two weeks and they had to replce the steering rack. I talked to BMW USA and asked that the car be replaced and they claimed that I should wait and see if other problems come up. Is this the BMW experience they talk about in their ads. The dealership has been very accomodating, but trying to get BMW to live up to commercials will not happen. This has been a horrible experience."
    Nick C. (Valparaiso , Indiana - February, 2006)

"My new 2006 325i is spending it's 4th day in the service dept at BMW of Austin. The first time it was towed in, I had the harness replaced. My car suddenly died outside of Austin. Roadside assistance took 3 different tow trucks to get the car, because it locked up and shut down in park. Luckily we were on a dirt road, not the highway. The next visit was for an oil pressure issue. And it is back again for the same issue."
    Austin , Texas - August, 2005
  • Options
    Frankly, the intelligent person does not really care about what one or two people have to say about any car. BMW and Lexus sell a lot of cars, if people listened to just one person from each manufacturer that didn't like their car, their sales would be zero. But they are not.

I'll be back in a while, I'll be digging up some bad things that people say about Lexus vehicles and we can compare notes, maybe engine disintegration and hesitation isn't enough for you, but it is for me. In the meantime the 3 series is still the segment leader.

In answer to your question, yes, it's worth the $40K investment.
  • Options
    "Actually when you remove the "L" you get a Civic, replace the L with an H and sell it for $16,000."

Welll..at least you can still get $16,000 :-).

w/o a "BMW" trademark ..nobody would want to get that junk :-)
  • Options
    At least I am backed by all of your friends in the auto rags!

:)

Plus, all the European auto journalists like the IS styling more than the 3 series too. Before the reviews came out, it seemed that the fact that Americans thinking Europeans wouldn't like the IS styling would be reason enough to buy the 3, since it is so European endorsed.. not anymore.

On homeland, Europeans laugh at the 3 styling. Fact.

I think this whole arguement will be never-ending. It is not so much that the IS actually looks cheap, but one's deep-set denial of loving a design made by Lexus over the BMW. That, would of course be a betrayal of something he has always loved.

I don't expect you to admit we are right.

;)
  • Options
    Well lets look at Edmund's owner's rating. Out of 180 reviews, it managed to average a 9.2. The IS350 only had 34 reviews, and the IS250 had 33. They averaged 9.5 and 9.4, but with a lot less reviews of course.

Should we list the comparisons the BMW 3 series won?
    .....Car and Driver
    .....Edmunds (twice)
  • Options
    Hondas are nicer than Daewoos.
  • Options
    That isn't what we are talking about right now; that is over in left field.
  • Options
    Top-Gear, Autobytel and European jounarlists on the other hand believe IS is a better car. However, the initial reviews are mostly subjective just like our opinions. It's hard to judge a car just simply based on a few test drives. We're talking about the ownership experience here....in that regard, BMW ranks average to poor...That's facts not opinions. It's no brainer that JDP
    ranks IS higher than 3-series based on a thorough market research.
  • Options
    find it funny that there is this whole argument about styling. Did anyone realize that styling is subjective? Whether you like it or not, you're never going to be in an agreement. That is unless you agree, to disagree. Look at where this discussion lead... Daewoo and Honda Civic!?
  • Options
    It's no brainer that JDP
    ranks IS higher than 3-series

Yes, Lexus is a very reliable brand. That's one of its big advantages over BMW. I do care about reliability, that's why I bought my Accord (well at least part of the reason).

But I enjoy the 3 series because it offers a very rewarding experience. The 15 minute test drive was enough to tell me- I want the car. But to me, I don't buy a car just solely based on reliability. I also buy it based on its merits. The 3 series offers an amazing drive. The Lexus offers a high dose of luxury. Like I said a while ago, it depends on what I am looking for. I am looking for a sports sedan. The 3 series is the best in my eyes.

This last paragraph on the edmunds comparison between the IS350 and 330i explains exactly what I'm saying.

"uDrive
    Driven in isolation, you'll be impressed by the Lexus — it's fast, comfortable and handles just fine for most people. But the 330i is still the performance sedan for people who enjoy driving as much as Homer Simpson enjoys beer."-Edmunds
  • Options
    "That's facts not opinions. It's no brainer that JDP
    ranks IS higher than 3-series based on a thorough market research."

You might want to check out the 5 series sales to see how a lousy BMW experience translates into trouncing the compeition in sales for the Luxury Performance Sedan category.

Frankly, it gets old hearing how lousy BMW cars are and how BMW has a lousy experience, yet only to see that BMW is outselling the competition and beating the competition in comparo after comparo. Well obviously they keep doing something right. I don't have to defend them, their sales speak for themselves.

Sure you'll find one or two reviews that swing the other way, but if one makes a list, the 3 series is at the top. And with the bi-turbo or 3.5 heading to North America, the only trump card Lexus fans will again have will be reliability and the wood steering wheel.
  • Options
    I don't know exactly how a difference between a 9.2 and 9.3 would translate as far as the ownership experience goes. :)
  • Options
    What wood steering wheel are you talking about?

There you go again poking fun at what kind of car some people like to drive. I hardly think that your line of reasoning is fair in the least.

Could it be that the reason I like the IS over the 3 series is because I don't like how it looks, inside especially?

To be honest, I would probably lease a 3 series very soon if its interior wasn't so ugly, in my opinion. Also, the exterior is horrid or anything, but just not attractive like the e46 was.

You sound like a broken record sometimes by saying the only things that somebody who bought an IS must like are wood steering wheels and reliability. It shows how little you really know about the car.

Let's be honest for once. The IS is a very fun car to drive, but not as fun as the 3 series. Being not as fun as a 3 series doesn't make it drive like a Camry.
  • Options
    BMW has a lousy experience, yet only to see that BMW is outselling the competition and beating the competition in comparo after comparo. Well obviously they keep doing something right.

Didn't the 5 series come sixth in the "spoilsport sedans" comparison by C&D, and 4th in the Edmunds "all wheel drive" comparison.

And with the bi-turbo or 3.5 heading to North America, the only trump card Lexus fans will again have will be reliability and the wood steering wheel.

Does the 3.5 come with a better interior?
    The IS has a gorgeous interior and that is one of its big advantages over the 3 series.
  • Options
    The twin turbo will be the 3 series coupe, no? I thought you were looking for sport sedans.

Anywho, the Lexus IS500 will have a 5.0L V8 (and 2 doors).

Trump.
  • Options
    The twin turbo will be the 3 series coupe, no? I thought you were looking for sport sedans.

I was just stating that the IS's advantages aren't just a "wood steering wheel and reliability." The interior of Lexus vehicles in general, are all beautifully done. I admit BMW's interiors aren't great, but they're nice in certain colors. Their designs are very simple.
  • Options
    "I admit BMW's interiors aren't great, but they're nice in certain colors. Their designs are very simple."

That is one thing that has always lingered in my mind. I think the 3 series interior looks best in cherry, cinnamon, or lemon. One thing that eats me alive, though, is the center dash and the instrument panel. I hate it. I couldn't live with it for a second.

By the way, neko, there is word that it is not a V8, but a 4.0l V10. I posted the article a few pages back. You should look at it. It's a decent read with some new info. Seems credible.
  • Options
    I think I read a magazine article in road and track (I think) that said V8...a V10 would be sweet though.

Did you get a check to check out what they have in store on their LF-A platform?
  • Options
    Nope, not yet. All I know is that Toyota designed a 5.0l V10 for street use, but now that F1 is going V8, it is a toss-up between sticking to the F1 theme and going V8 or going with what they have and not stepping down a notch and doing a V10. You?
  • Options
    Just the actual concept and an artists rendering of what the production car MAY look like...(google "lexus LF-A" to see pics of the concept). They are thinking it may be in th $100-150K price range!!! Maybe that's what the V10 is for?

I do know they are making a long version of the new LS...could put a V10 in that thing. The new LS is going to be Godly if you have not seen it....I saw it in person at the Chicago auto show. My dealer already has orders for it (goes on sale in sept-oct)
  • Options
    I doubt that there will be a V10 in the new LS, but it is possible that the V10 might end up there as the performance line model. The LS 600h will for now be the flagship car for Lexus, along with the LF-A (Lexus GT). I have not seen the LS in person but have seen many pictures of it; it is gorgeous.

We should stop this though because the other forum members will be angry with the off-topic discussion.

:P
  • Options
    whofan67whofan67 Member Posts: 8
    "Well I guess I consider my self in the 20% that does enjoy driving and can tell the difference. And I’m not talking about taking a sharp turn at high speed, BMW makes you feel connected to the road and to the car. You actual drive BMW, while in Lexus you are being driven.
    I actually tired of hearing this “most people” argument, I’m not most people and I don’t think you are. Most people are driving Camrys and Accords."

I agree. I enjoy driving as well and the Camry or Accord is considered basic transportation. We are talking about luxury sport sedans here. From a pure driving experience, the BMW is better but there is more than just the driving experience of handling, feel etc as far as the ownership and overall experience of the car is concerned for most people. For me, I am willing to give up some road feel for better interior appointments, gas mileage and other factors, not alot mind you but some...The IS is the better car overall because of the word overall. Styling is subjective so that gets left to personal preference but the interior of the IS is a better layout ergonomically, the engine gets better mileage, the IS is on the cutting edge of technology as far as convience, safety and amenities are concerned. The BMW is a fine car and I'd want nothing more if it was just the feeling of the brakes, accelerator, steering column with the road is the whole picture. But since I value performance with a small p and I like luxury with a capital L which is what most people who drive either car value, The IS is the better overall car. IMO
  • Options
    whofan

The great thing about the IS350 is that you get both a capital "P" and "L"

The Bimmer gives you a slightly larger "P" and a signifigantly smaller "l"
  • Options
    Honestly Mike you need to go back and re-read your past posts before saying anyone sounds like a broken record.

Lexus probably uses a slightly different grade of interior materials, but the "L" in the BMW is as good, and the "P" is significantly better. It offers more of the technology the driver needs to focus on the road, and less the driver doesn't need. For BMW fans that works, for Lexus fans it doesn't.

There is no indication the IS drives like a Camry any more than the 3 series won't be able to go 10 feet without breaking down.

The 4 year b-b free maintenance is a plus, it guarantees a $0 ceiling (except for tires or optional accessories) on the car in four years.
  • Options
    You must have been pretty good at dodgeball.

;)

"And with the bi-turbo or 3.5 heading to North America, the only trump card Lexus fans will again have will be reliability and the wood steering wheel."
  • Options
    "The 4 year b-b free maintenance is a plus, it guarantees a $0 ceiling (except for tires or optional accessories) on the car in four years"

Do you how many times my friends had to bring their cars to dealer to fix the problems?..The free maintenance program sounds as if it's a plus to the ownership experience but it's not always the case. When Mikhail (my Russian colleague) complained about the cranking noise with the car the dealer kept telling him it's a normal behavior and refused to resolve the issue. Mikhail told me he got pissed off because both him and his wife did not experience that problem during their first year of owning the car. And guess what... they finally found out the root cause when his BMW was stranded on the I-94 interstate.
  • Options
    oh yea...5-series ??? I can tell how big their brains are(BMW's 5-series buyers )..

"Most of the worst sedans in Consumer Reports' ranking come from Europe, including this BMW 5-Series V8."

http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.aspx?contentid=4023544
  • Options
    Sorry..don't see new 3-series on the list of 23 hottest selling models.

"The hottest sellers are the redesigned Lexus IS sedan, Toyota Prius and the Scion tC. They all are spending fewer than 15 days on dealer lots before being sold, according to national sales activity tracked through the first eight weeks of 2006 by J.D. Power and Associates Power Information Network."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060306/AUTO01/603060373/1148-
  • Options
    "Do you how many times my friends had to bring their cars to dealer to fix the problems?."

I understand, I know people who have brought back their Lexus to the dealership a number of times to get some problems fixed. So I can sympathize.

However, that doesn't negate the b-b free maintenance. This is not warranty coverage, this is free scheduled maintenance for four years on every item except tires.

You are like me in one respect, you tend to know people who have problems with decent automobiles. And you are using these people to illustrate points. Just like I know people who have problems with supposedly reliable Japanese brands, including Lexus. Never seen a Lexus on a flatbed?
  • Options
    The consumers have spoken, the 5 series is the sales leader in the luxury performance category. You can cite any other source you desire, but it's hard to say the consumers who voted with their pocketbooks are wrong.
  • Options
    The 3 series at this point is still the sales leader. Seems an oxymoron having a hot car that's being outsold by the competition. Maybe it's not really that hot.
  • Options
    potemkinpotemkin Member Posts: 195
    The 3 offers a capital "M" as standard equipment. The IS350, inexplicably, only comes with an "A".

That's a deal breaker for me. All other letters of the alphabet are of secondary importance, IMHO.
  • Options
    IS 350 going around cones without VDIM.

link title

My prediction is that if this car got into the hands of the wrong people with VDIM off, they would most certainly kill themselves.
This discussion has been closed.