Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jetta Transmission Problems and Questions

Comments

• vwguild1vwguild1 Posts: 98
    You are 5K miles out of warranty on the PowerTrain...You should have the Service Advisor look into the service history on your Jetta...You may get some good will from VWOA if your previous dealer failed to address these issues when the PowerTrain was still in effect...
  • pruzinkpruzink Posts: 112
    Check your service receipts from your visits to your previous dealer to see if you can document that you complained about this problem when the repair would have been covered under warranty. Usually, when you drop the car off, the service writer will list any complaints that the customer would like checked. If you have this documentation now you have a valid arguement that the previous dealer failed to deal with your problem. Don't be afraid to contact VWOA if the local dealer does not agree.
  • manichemaniche Posts: 1
    hey i just started having this problem last night with my 2002 1.8t.
    i have a manual tran. every time i shift gears, the rpm shoots up to about 4k, then drops back to about 2.5 and then the car starts accelerates (a little sluggishly).

i noticed the temperature gauge side-effect too, it used to stay dead center at 190 but now keeps dropping to lower several times.

have you discovered what the problem is?
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Posts: 690
    If you have an automatic transmission, chances are its the computer (normally a $300 item). The labor to replace it should be about 1/2 hour.
  • deaner14deaner14 Posts: 40
    I have about 134k miles on my Jetta. Recently, it started "lurching" when it was in gear but the clutch was fully depressed.

I took it to a non-VW tranny shop and they said it was the pilot bearing. My VW doesn't have a pilot bearing. Took it to another place and they said they pull it apart and see what's what. Got the diagnosis back and they had pulled the clutch/pressure plate and tried to turn the fly wheel (dual mass for those of you in the know). However, there was something wrong with the flywheel and it has a definite clunk sound when you flip it over in your hands. btw, I decided to go with a solid flywheel instead of the dual mass previously installed in the car. It's cheaper and less prone to failure in the future.

Now that the car's back together, it's shifting like there's no tomorrow: smooth as silk. The only thing I notice is there's a distinctive buzz when I pass 1800 rpm. It feels like you've run over a "keep-awake" strip on the highway. Car has to be moving... and has to be in gear.

I'm thinking my new flywheel is out of balance, the engine mounts weren't tightened to spec and/or ... well, that's why I'm posting. Anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions? The tranny man says he'll tear it apart again if need be, but we're both searching for answers.

Thanks
  • fpjdpfpjdp Posts: 10
    When I put the car into drive it will not go into gear unless i press the gas then it will kick in. It seams like it needs tranny oil or a transmission tune-up and filter replacemant. Has anyone experienced the same problem? There has to be someway to check the tranny fluid. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • mlemastermlemaster Posts: 1
    My daughters 04 Jetta automatic won't shift out of park, the foot on brake symbol stays lit on the shifter console, and, the EPC light is on on the dashboard. Don't know if they are related, she didn't notice the EPC light before.
  • skippytcgskippytcg Posts: 10
    my wifes 2001 did the same thing, bad brake switch, there is now a recall on them
  • nittany4nittany4 Posts: 1
    HI, unfortuanetly I share your pain. I have had the entire clutch replaced on my 2006 jetta 2.5, TWICE. First at 8000 and then 10000 miles. I am seeking an attorney and hopefully can get rid of this thing via the lemon law. I've been driving a manual transmission for 20 years, so although they tried to tell me this could be my fault, it clearly is not. It's a shame as I (used to) love VWs. This is my 4th one and thanks to two trips in a tow truck in 2 months, my last.
  • cjs703cjs703 Posts: 2
    Well to follow up on my previous post in February, it turns out that the flywheel has moving parts, and has oil. The flywheel ended up leaking the oil on the clutch and destroyed it. So under warranty they replaced the flywheel and the clutch. I haven't had any problems since then (10,000 miles).
  • sdazzo213sdazzo213 Posts: 3
    The car is an 07 VW Wolfsburg edition with a manual transmission. It has about 200 miles. I am new to driving a manual transmission but i feel like i picked it up pretty quickly and have confidence in the way i drive. I have driven with a couple of friends who also drive manual transmission and they told me i was doing just fine. Earlier today I was driving down a pretty steep hill doing about 40 in 3rd gear and all of a sudden i heard a noise. It sounded like something dropped. Initial I actually thought a tire blew out. As i continued down the hill the car produced a loud clanking noise about every revolution of the tire. I pulled it in to a parking lot. When I put the car in gear and depressed the clutch the clanking noise continued and the car would not go anywhere. I have no idea what happened and I am wondering if someone can help me out. I was not shifting or anything when the incident occurred.
    What happened to my car?
    Would this be covered under warranty?
    Could this be caused by the way I drive or did something just happen?

I would really appreciate some insight on this matter
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,255
    Sounds like you broke an axle! Very strange for such a new car.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• darkzdarkz Posts: 1
    Whenever I drive my jetta, it feels like there's alot drag all the time and it slows down too fast after I release the gas (crappy mpg's). It takes about 15 seconds to get from 0-60 (sucks gettin in the freeway). The only time it coasts for a long time like a normal car is when I shift it to neutral when I'm up to speed. The atf fluid is level and I even checked the brakes, no binding there. What could it be. !!!Help!!!
  • exvwownerexvwowner Posts: 2
    :mad: I had my Jetta TDI (manual transmission) for less than a year when the clutch gave out (stuck to the floor). The car had less than 24K miles on it. I was told that the clutch was a "wear and tear" item and not covered by the warranty. Since I was so clearly dissatisfied, the dealer offered to pay half to replace the clutch and flywheel. But I was out $1200 for repairs on what I considered a new car. I traded it in exactly a year after buying it. I was pleased that it retained it's value and I got a great tradein on another brand. And I'm extremely glad to get rid of what I consider a horrible vehicle.
  • fpjdpfpjdp Posts: 10
    When I put the car into drive it will not go into gear unless i press the gas then it will kick in. It seams like it needs tranny oil or a transmission tune-up and filter replacemant. Has anyone experienced the same problem? There has to be someway to check the tranny fluid. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • jetta2002jetta2002 Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Jetta Auto Transmission that has been in the shop for over 1 month now!
    The problem is, after driving the car for approx 30 mins it did not seem to want to go anymore - the rpm's would scream but the car would not move. You had to let the car cool off in order to drive it again - and yes my fan was working. Took the car in and was advised the tranny needs to be re-built - clutches, value body among other things needed to be repaired. 2 weeks later got the car back and after having the car not even 24 hours the same problem - the car went back and I was told that a sensor needed to be re-placed..... done - Again picked up the car and not even 2 hours later the same problem and since then the car has been in the shop. The housing has been changed, the computer has been changed 2-3 times and the problem is still happening but more frequently. I don't think anyone knows what is wrong with this car? Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be happening? I really need to have my car back! :sick:
  • weim_06weim_06 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 VW Jetta VR6 automatic, I got it about 2 months ago and for about a month it has been in the garage. It won't go in reverse all the time. When I took it to the dealer the first time he replaced the TCM, then the selecter pin and this last time he flushed the transmission, and it still don't work. It will work most of the time if I put it in first let it coast a little then put it in reverse. I called my dealer again and again he wants to try something else, replace some valves in the transmission. I am afraid that I might have a transmission problem. I have about 3 months left on my warranty. I hope that my dealer isn't trying to screw me around till then. Does anybody have any idea what it could be? Please help.
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Posts: 690
    Not to be mean or anything, but if I were new to driving a manual, I would not spend $20K+ to learn how to drive a manual. I would buy a beater with a manual transmission to learn on until I become proficient enough to step up to a newer car.

Twenty-Five large is an expensive way to learn how to drive a manual transmission...
  • WOW... sounds familiar. Over the past weekend my 2004 Jetta did the exact same thing. RPM'S would shoot up but my car would not move. Would go in drive for a few feet, but nothing in reverse. I had to have it towed and later got the worst news. I need a new transmission. I'm in udder shock because my Jetta was bought NEW and only has 30,000 miles on it. After I get this new transmission I am selling it and purchasing a reliable car. Good luck with your Jetta.
  • aq5aq5 Posts: 1
    I have owned several older volkswagens and never had any problems working on them myself. I recently acquired a 2001 Jetta and started having tranny problems or so it seems. I have been told I need a new tranny and was offered a very low price for the car without it running at the moment by the dealership. I don't know if it really needs a new tranny or if it is low on fluid because I had the same problem did not know where to check it myself. I had the car brought back to my house to do some more investigating on it and found that the only way the tranny fluid can be checked it by computer...go figure. The dealership would not tell me how to check the tranny fluid they seemed a little on the suspicious side. I am now in the process of trying to find a mobile service with a computer, towing is getting a little expensive but so is a $4000 tranny if all I need is some fluid. Good luck
  • After a couple of expensive trips to my local VW dealer, which included replacing the speed sensor (my Jetta would stick in 3rd gear....which is an emergency operation mode), I was still having problems. I found a local repair shop which specialized in VW's and they determined I had a faulty wiring harness between the transmission and computer sensor which determines when the transmisison changes gears. They repaired the wiring harness, for less than $250, which included labor to find the problem, and I haven't had a problem since......that was over 6 months ago. The dealer was saying my next option was to repair or replace the transmission, which could cost me $2000 and up.
  • The good news (besides having your tranny fixed) is now you have a private VW repair shop you can rely on - which will save you $$$$ over the dealer in the long run.... :shades:
  • Hi all, my wife and i have had our 01 Jetta GLS from off the dealer's lot. It's got 117k km on it, and we're just about to sell it b/c of our two little ones and the short seat pitch between front and rear - she bought a mini-van instead. Anyway, a guy had it out for a test drive and the car has started grinding when down shifting from 2nd into 1st (at relatively low speeds and RPMs - I was able to duplicate the issue). Seems that double-clutching makes the grinding go away. I've heard it could be a clutch problem or it could be a tranny/synchro problem. Does anyone have an idea of which way this could be going? Obviously it's much easier for me to replace a clutch than have a synchro problem fixed...
  • jrizjriz Posts: 5
    I owned a 2000 Jetta GLS VR6. After a few years/miles, I noticed that it idled very rough. Even the tach would lightly blip upward. When I shifted into neutral, it would stop. No dealer could ever figure out what was wrong. This weekend, I drove a 2003 Jetta GLX with the upgraded 200-hp VR6 and it did the exact same thing. Just as mine did, shifting into neutral stopped it.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, and if so, were you able to fix/address it?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,255
    Seems to me if it were a clutch issue you would feel this grinding in other gears as well while downshifting. But just in case, you could check your fluid level in the clutch master cylinder (or do you have a cable clutch in that car?) If a cable clutch, you can adjust that to factory specs.

If none of that works, you might try flushing the transaxle and putting in a good synthetic fluid like REDLINE...kinda expensive but not expensive like synchros are expensive that's for sure.

Synchros do wear out over time--it's not that unusual but 117K seems a bit premature for this sort of thing.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• My clutch went after 20,000 miles and I was told I did clutch and shift correctly. Started driving a standard 35 years ago and have never had a problem before including a 2000 Jetta. I must not have paid attention at clutch school because it went again at 44,000 miles. Anyone else experience this problem???
  • I think I might be having a similiar problem. 01 jetta gl. 105k miles. for the past year it has been having problems going from 2nd to 3rd gears...problems meaning it kinda jerks but then kicks in. i took it to the shop about 7 months ago w the same problem except it had a awful noise to it...they said it was a timing belt/spark plug issue. the car worked perfectly for about 3 months then the 2nd-3rd started happening again but no noise this time. i finally went to have it looked into at the local autobody shop (i will never go to the dealership...long story) he said that there was some type of lein (sp?) code and he didnt have the computer to check it. proceeded to transmission place. they said i need it to be rebuilt and looking at 1700-3000. could this faulty wiring thing be me too? help :( I HAVE NO MONEY!! (well not enough for a tranny)
  • Hi,
    I have a 2002 Jetta, automatic transmissin with ~67,000 miles on it. Just this Saturday I noticed the gears were slipping (making a jering sound) when thecar shifed from 1st to 2nd gear.
    I took the car to the shop that my family has gone to for some years. They told me it could be either that the transmission fluid needed to be flushed or that there was a problem with the transmission. They were about to close so the owner asked me to bring the car Monday morning to flush the transmission fluid. Well on Sunday the jerking/kick back noise got a lot worse, and
    the check engine light went on too. This morning the repairman told me the error he got was P1778 indicating the transmission is no good anymore.

So it looks like I need a new transmission.
    My warranty information said the Powertrain warranty is good for 5 yrs/60,000 miles. Has anyone else had similar experiences/problems? Any luck in getting VW to cover the cost of changing the transmission. Or does anyone know of a good place to get the transmission replaced that isn't too expensive in the Washington DC area?. I hear transmissions can cost ~$4000-5000

By the way I looked up error code P1778 and supposedly it means "Solenoid EV7 Electrical Malfunction" - what does this mean? Does it actually mean the transmission is bad?

Thanks
  • Hi Guys,

I owned a 2002 jetta 1.8 T AUTO recently which had 23000 miles on it. It was running good the first one week and then it suddenly has some problem shifting
    gears. When its shifting from 1-2-3 gears it drags a bit and we can know that its changing gears and the rpm runs to above 2 when shifting gears. I dont know what the problem is. If you guys know anything about this just let me know before i go to do some repairs.
  • Yes - I have a 2003 1.8T manual, and at 35K, the clutch has started to slip. This didn't happen until my husband and I switched cars - he seems to let up the clutch too fast, in my opinion. The VW dealership wants $2000 to replace the clutch. We're going to look into other estimates, but now I wish that we had traded in the Jetta instead of our 2001 Camry (which was no fun to drive) when we bought our last car (2008 Highlander). I still have a few months until the warranty is up - any chance of it being covered and not "wear and tear"?