Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Tires and Wheels

Comments

• talen316talen316 Posts: 32
    Bob -

Yeah, I was prob reading the same thread re the Toyo H/T P-Met 245/55/19.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279392&page=3

Someone who lives in NY State was saying how much better they've performed under wet/winter conditions.

I really love the look of the 19" rims on our 08 HL Sport and really don't want to change size. I'll be watching closely for more feedback on the net re the Toyo H/T and keeping fingers crossed that it may turn out to be a decent, safe all weather option for this size.
  • bob259bob259 Posts: 280
    I still have to believe that Michelin and others will be stepping up an providing some.
  • awl1awl1 Posts: 4
    After doing a good bit of research, I'm nearly ready to purchase size 255/55/R19 replacement tires for my 2008 Limited Highlander. As others, I'm very disappointed with the Toyo A20's and I have found nothing else in the 245/55/R19 size that I would even think about purchasing. There are many more choices in the 255/55/R19 size and this size appears to be as close to the OEM as you can get in tires that are available. I was concerned about the clearance between the rear strut and a larger tire. My current width clearance with the OEM tires is approx. 5/8" between sidewall and the rear strut. With 255/55/R19's I estimate that the clearance will be approx. 1/2". I don't believe that this will present a problem. The height clearance doesn't appear to be a problem. I also spoke with the Service Manager at my Toyota Dealer and asked if changing the size would violate my warranty. He said it wouldn't unless the different tire size caused a problem (i.e. ABS system). However with the tire hieght only being .21" taller, I believe that this will not cause any issues. Also as the tire wears, it should get closer to the OEM size. The tire that I'm considering is the Bridgestone Dueler HL Alenza. This is a much better tire (see reviews at tirerack.com) than the Dueler HL 400 that is offered as an option to the Toyo's in the OEM size. I found 4 Alenza'a for $1029 mounted, plus a $100 VISA gift card from a Bridgestone dealer. They will also allow me a 30 day test drive with full refund if I'm not satisfied. I've also found Hankook Ventus AS RH07 and Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires in this size, that appear to get decent ratings for all driving conditions. Has anyone else tried a 255/55/R19 tire and which tire did you buy?
  • berriberri Posts: 4,234
    Until more vehicles come in this tire size you may not see much increase in choice and availability.
  • Okay folks - I did it and am delighted! I was disgusted at the limited selection of P245/55 R19 tires, so I did as suggested elsewhere on this site and checked what wheel size I could switch to and (1) not mess up the speedometer/odometer reading and (2) have a much greater selection of tire brands to choose from. (I used the miata site mentioned elsewhere to do this.) I bought new wheels from Tire Rack (good people there!) and had them put on Michelin Latitudes. The new wheels are 17-inchers and the new tires are P245/65 R17. I had to buy new tire pressure sensors, alas - but that's understandable.

Tire Rack spin balances them and then ships them wherever you want - in my case to my trusty local repair shop. He charged me $30 to put them on and then I drove to the Toyota dealer, since they are the only ones who can enter the tires' sending codes into the console's tire pressure screen.

And so now I'm driving with very, very nice tires that were manufactured by Michelin expressly for SUV's. And it shows: they're quiet and they grip the wet road so much better than the Toyo's.

BTW, I have to express my sympathy that you have such weaselly Toyota dealers. Luckily, my Toyota folks were sympathetic (though, admittedly, not especially helpful).

This was an expensive switch, but I realized that since I'm no longer stuck with Yoko's as my only high-quality choice, this will pay for itself after the next tire change.

I hope this helps y'all.
  • lhaleslhales Posts: 3
    Are your 255/60 19's working for you on your Toyota Highlander? I am considering purchasing a set for my Highlander.
    Has anyone installed Michelin Latitude 255/60 19 tires on their Toyota Highlander? How are they working out and do they fit the fender wells okay? Does anyone recommend this tire and if so, do they ride well?
  • Michelin told me they don't have that size. That's why I went with the 17" tires (and new wheels). I'm loving them, BTW.
  • As mentioned elsewhere, I did and I love them. Zero problems. Nada. None.
    MICHELIN LATITUDE 255/60/19 FOR 2008 HIGHLANDER CALL MICHELIN FAC @ 1-866-866-6605 on sale for 113.00 each rebate of 60.00 visa gift card will fit your 19 '' rems
  • pjcrousepjcrouse Posts: 2
    Have any of you thought of going with 235/55/19 tires? There are quite a few makers of that size out there. The 55mm less width will make it better in snow and the height difference hardly affects the speedometer reading.(you can check the tire calculator) This should help the clearance problem of the strut, too.
    I personally have the factory Bridgestones on my 08 Sport, and had them siped right from the beginning. They have worn 1/32" in 5000 miles and did okay in the snow, too.
  • Found a new Toyo P metric tire in the correct fitment for our vehicles. Discount Tire can order them and I was quoted a price of $213 each plus tax. These tires have a mileage warranty of 60000 miles. The write up for the tire would indicate it will behave substantially like the OEM tires. I actually like the tread patterns better than the OEM. Oh, the tire is an Open Country H/T P metric 245/55-19. If you want to see for yourself go to Treaddepot.com and find the Toyo tires and look for the P metric group. Load range is 1900 lbs and the 640AB indicates good wear and traction. Hope this helps.
  • crtzlowcrtzlow Posts: 16
    I was wanting to get some feedback from other owners as to which tire they replaced the original factory tires with. 225/70/16 Toyos from the factory which won't make too much over 35K miles.
    I've been looking at the Bridgestones and Kumho brands but have not made up my mind as of yet.
    What kind of tire did you go with and what kind of mileage did you get out of them? I think the Toyos would have done better but while having it serviced by Toyota somehow they all got 36 lbs of pressure in them and wore the middle pretty good before I caught it.

Thanks in advance for any replies and help.

Don
  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,631
    G'day

I was unimpressed with the performance of the original Toyo tyres on my 2005 Kluger (Highlander to you) and they wore out at 44914 km (28,000miles). The Toyos had poor grip under most conditions and very poor lateral stability. They were particularly nasty off bitumen

I do some off bitumen work and wanted a good mud/snow tyre with good on highway characteristics. I fitted Yokohama 225/70R16 102H pattern G051 H/T-S 30 months ago.

I now have about 75,000 km (say 48,000 miles) on the Yokohamas in 30 months and they still have probably 20,000 km wear. I checked tread depth last night and they are wearing consistently. Wet weather gripmis still good although I feel that they are just staring to go off a bit.

It is however critical to get the Kluger alignment checked about every six months (four wheel alignment on laser machine) as they do slip out, particualrly if driven over bumpy surfaces and check inflation regularly. They are less susceptible to inconsisntent tyre pressure than many vehicles but it does affect wear and handling.

Cheers

Graham
  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,631
    G'day

Separate to the tyre choice question, I also have been caught with the overinflation game. Recently noiced that handling seemed shaper than usual and found pressures above 40PSI. Also, tyre shops tend to overtorque wheel nots. Last tyre rotation, I found nuts over tensioned dreadfully and had to buy a long breaker bar as I could not easily remove them. A reasonable torque wrench can be picked up for less than USD100 and socket is about USD 10 so you can easily adjust the nuts. If you don't you risk damaging studs and brake discs.

Cheers

Graham
  • gwnorth23gwnorth23 Posts: 2
    jim bo,

I have an 08 HiHy limited with the 19's :mad: and want to see if you are still pleased with the Michelins. I am concerned where we do drive in snow for 5 mos out of the year and you seemed concerned with the height of the tire.

Any feedback would be appreciated.....Mark
  • bacarrollbacarroll Posts: 3
    The saga continues... the Lexus wheels arrived from the eBay vendor - and it turns out they've been drilled out and had steel sleeves inserted to move the center point of each bolt - they did not originally fit the Toyota. This was not stated - or even hinted at - in the eBay ad, nor did they admit to it on the phone when I called to inquire before purchasing. I took them around to Costco, Les Schwab, Discount, and Big-O - and NO ONE will work on these. No one will mount/dismount, or move the sensors for me. The vendor claimed 'if you didn't tell them, no one would know' - yet it was the very first guy I dealt with (at Schwab) pointed them out to me and told me they would not work on those wheels. In addition, the condition of the wheels belied the vendor claim that 'they all came off brand new Lexus vehicles at the dealer': there was a fair amount of brake dust, rust on several of the wheels, and one wheel had the letters "RF" painted inside in what looked like nail polish. The manager of the Discount Tire I showed them to thought they had been 'on a vehicle for 1000 miles or so' - yet the vendor keeps insisting they're 'excellent, like-new condition'. Even after mechanically modifying them by drilling out and repositioning the bolt holes.

Now I'm out $200 for shipping, even if I get the vendor to refund the $899 for the tires and wheels (Visa 'won't dispute shipping charges'), and am back to square one.

I visited the local Discount TIre and found these for about $160 each:
    http://www.enkei.com/wdm.html
    and with the Michelin tires I wanted (Latitudes) for about $1350 - plus of course the $200 idiot tax for trying to save $200 overall with the eBay vendor...

So beware of these guys - they're less than up front about their business practices:
    Wheels and Tires International http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-Toyota-Highlander-wheels-Goodyear-Fortera-Tire- s_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1171Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318- Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem120382506186- QQitemZ120382506186QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
  • bob259bob259 Posts: 280
    Good to know because I was just thniking about getting a set from these guys as they had quoted me a price with winter tires.

Sounds to me like tey should alos be reported not only to eBay, but the BBB in CT.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    The vendor claimed 'if you didn't tell them, no one would know'

That would be a red flag alert. :(

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • awl1awl1 Posts: 4
    Just had the 255/55/R19 Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's installed on my 08 Limited Highlander. Have only put a few hundred miles on them. The vehicle seems to handle better and the tires seem to do well on wet roads. The ride is smooth and quiet. No problem with the strut clearance.
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Posts: 195
    Did you mount these on the OEM wheels on your 08 HL LTD?
  • snoskiersnoskier Posts: 1
    My '07 Highlander Limited AWD came with Goodyear Integrity 225/65R17 tires. They lasted barely 25,000 miles. I replaced them with Goodyear Fortera 225/65R17 tires and the tire dealer recommended running 40 psi. The ride is not bad, not as soft and car-like as the 30 psi Integritys, but still comfortable. So far they have performed well when I made two ski trips since installation.

Now my problem is getting the tire pressure inflation system light on the dash to go off. Will road test it later this afternoon and report back to everyone.

SnoSkier
  • nowlennowlen Posts: 35
    I own an 08 Sport with the 19" wheels. Although they were hard to locate for a price I was willing to pay, I finally found a set of 17" base wheels on ebay and they were delivered yesterday. I just had Michelin Latitude X-Ice mounted on them and tested them on the Highlander for fit. (I always prep for winter and for years have bought my snow times in the late spring for very low prices - I got these for 45% off). I'm pleased to say there is no problem with fit on the Sport as many have claimed. The hubs, calipers, rotors and everything else that would matter are the same part number except for the strut on the Sport so I had marginal concern. BOTTOM LINE: if you want to put OEM Highlander Base 17" wheels on a vehicle with 19" factory wheels GO FOR IT AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT A FIT PROBLEM.

Now, when my factory 19" tires wear out I'm going to give a shot at looking at 255/55-19 tires to replace the 245's. DiscountTire.com has a highly rated Hankook all-season for $185 w 65,000 warranty that they claim will fit without a problem.
    I see a lot of people here talking about mounting 255/60-19 on their 245/55-19 '08 Highlanders. That changes the diameter by 1.4 inches and the circumference by 4.5 inches. You're asking for trouble. The problem is changing the profile to 60 - leave it at 55. Going to 255/55-19 only changes the diameter by .4 inches and the circumference by 1.4 inches - a much more reasonable choice.

Generally, you should only be changing the profile if you're changing the wheel diameter. (Going to an 18" wheel in the case of the 08 Highlander).

DiscountTire.com has a 'Tire Size Calculator' on the left side of their home page that can help you with these calculations and it will even tell you how much your speedometer will change.
  • hotrod28hotrod28 Posts: 9
    have you had any problems with clearance in the wheel well or the tire rubbing on the suspension or other parts in tight cornering situations???
  • harris20harris20 Posts: 1
    What do you think about going to a 20" wheel on the '08 Highlander Limited?
  • maphammapham Posts: 3
    No trouble at all, I drove over 3k miles on the 255/60 R19 Michelin’s tires without rubbing or any issues. Does very good on the wet road on a rainy day, I have not yet drove it on ice or snow.
    Personally, I wanted to stay with factory rims, so I can't really comment from experience on the 20's.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, DiscountTire.com has a 'Tire Size Calculator' where you enter the current tire's specs and the tire you want to go to and tells you the differences in resulting TIRE profile. You also need to be sensitive to the wheel offset to avoid any problems. It takes some research on your part - call the big online tire sellers and/or trusted local shops and ask. Make sure you get a Fit guarantee just in case somebody makes a mistake.

For sure, going to 20's will give you less height of the tire sidewall (because you'll be moving to 50 series tires) making you more susceptible to pothole damage (a big concern in my part of the country) and will probably result in a rougher ride and a change in handling. If you live where the roads are straight and smooth that will matter less to you. Good Luck!
    Why did you go to 60 series when upping the width to 255 instead of just sticking with 55?