Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix Starting / Stalling Issues

Comments

• Hi I wonder if anyone can help?

I imported a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix to the UK as the begining of the year, had no problems until recently.

The car starts, however as soon as it is running it starts too stall and sucks in load of air, blows back through the exhaust and dies, very odd, fuel is fine!!

Anyone have any ideas?
  • Hey,

I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix and it has insane problems. The Service Engine Soon light came on a few days ago and has yet to turn off. Also I get the Tac dropping to 0 and then about 5-10 seconds later the Traction Control turns off. Also when the car is cold it seems and if I am going around corners or up a hill the car will stall and sometimes it will start right away and other times it takes 5-10 minutes for the car to start. Any ideas? The car has regular oil changes and when I bought the car (summer 2004) I had the thermostat fixed and later on (mid 2005) the servies engine soon light was on forever and it turned out I needed a new Catalytic Converter and a tune up. :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • I have been having stalling issues with my car 136, 000 miles.The car would not start, if you waited sometimes it would. Then it started stalling while driving, took it to the mechanic had bought a new battery, did a tuneup. Installed new plugs, wires, fuel filter, bought a new battery, reset the computer, then the stalling started happening on the highway!!!
    I used to be able to put in nuetral & it would restart and I would put into drive and keep going. It wouldn't happen for weeks then it would get worse, then stop and start again. Now when it stalls it won't start for a good 20 minutes, too dangerous to drive, My mechanic has had it 5 times over the past 6 weeks. He said there's nothing wrong with it.My husband thinks it might be the crank shaft sensor.
    I also have problems with the heater only working on 5. I did find the threads regarding the blower motor assembly & the ignition wires. Any feedback on the stalling issues would be greatly appreciated!!! :cry: :confuse: :lemon: ">
  • Hey,

I have a 2004 Grand Prix and I'm having similar problems. How much did it cost to fix the thermostat and a new catalytic converter?
  • Cars stalls but starts right back up. No codes in the system. Replaced the theft control mod.
  • kerribkerrib Posts: 1
    Wondering if anyone has heard of issues of amber engine light on, reduced power, and traction control light on, before. We have had it to the dealership, and they never find anything wrong with it. It just feels like I have a LEMON!! This is not the first problem we have had and this car is brand new off the lot June 2007. The dealership also did not offer any solution, and just said, it was like finding a needle in a haystack.
  • Ok here it is answers to alot of questions.
    None are cheap.
    Stalling and not start up right away, But will after a few minutes?
    Oh it will only get worse. It will soon take up to hour before re start!
    Dealer even pontiac will fine no issues.
    It will subside in cold weather to a point.
    Answer.......... Crank Shaft Position Sensor Is Getting heat soaked.
    And slowly diying.
    Heat soak send bad or no info to Modual under coils Thus Over heating it
    And it goes out as well. Random misfire. Lean bank 1 Will show
    just b4 it all dies. When it does die for last time is sends mass of High voltage
    spark form coils Back thru system to ECU and Camshaft position sensor.

[non-permissible content removed] [non-permissible content removed] [non-permissible content removed].
    Well pontiac Admit to this NO!!
    Where did I get INFO Had Car On dyno 3/4 throtle for 2 hr 45 min with Sun Diagnostic Hooked to all the above Parts, and more when it all gave loose.
    No I did not hut motor. New Checker auto parts a Cool 1K and all is good
    Oh dynoed it again to See CSPS at 140 degrees and climming to 273
    after 1 hour. Where the hell is is getting it from.
    Serp belt is getting hot from who knows where?

FIX? Replace CSPS ASAP with what? Dealer delco part.
    Make sure the lower chin on bumper and air flow to lower engine is good
    I could see some one getting some duct work down there.
    Then Sell the hoe!! lol
  • I had the problem with my 2000 Grand Prix stalling while it was running. Typically it would happen when accelerating or idling. The problem was that the Air Flow Sensor in the Air Intake (near battery and air filter) was bad. Later the Check Engine Light finally came on. The Sensor had a low voltage reading at that point. Once replaced the car ran perfectly (I did end up with a bad replacement part from NAPA the first time). The second one fixed it for good. Note that I was having the stalls long before the Check Engine light ever came on.
  • I have a 2000 Grand Prix GT w/3800 V6. Has about 89,000 miles. It seems to always start when it is cold. After it warms up completely, if you turn it off (to go into a store, etc.), and try to start it again, it sometimes will not start (happened about 3 times in the last month). It turns over, but won't start (sounds like it is flooded). It will sometimes eventually start after numerous tries, but will always start when the engine cools completely.

We took it into a decent local shop, but they told me it hasn't thrown any codes. They said it could be the crankshaft sensor, ignition module, or fuel pump. They don't want to just start replacing parts as each repair can be costly with the fuel pump being the most expensive. We were hoping that it would start failing more often, especially when they had it (it always started for them) as they can't really do much as long as it always starts for them. We thought the car problems were consistent (always starts when when cold, sometimes won't start when warm, but will eventually start when engine gets cold), but it threw us a curve the other day when the engine stalled while my wife was turning into our development. Luckily, she was able to coast it a half mile to our driveway. Again, after it cooled, it started.

I have heard that a bad battery or one that will soon fail (or one that is defective) can possibly cause this (the battery in the car is 4 years old), so I might take it to a shop and have them check it and maybe replace it anyway as this would be the cheapest fix that I can do myself.

Has anyone had this problem w/the 3800 V6? Any advice? I'm hoping that if the battery doesn't do it, the car will start failing so the shop can fix the problem.
  • 97 Prix 3.8L V6 AutoTrans.
    The engine has just begun to stall without any warning, no hesitation. Sometimes it will restart initally, other times multiple tries are needed. 2 out of 16 times the "Check Engine Light" has come on but soon went out. I did notice that when I can restart it and while parked, it will only rpm to 4K. At 4K with constant pressure on the accelerator, the rpm's stop at 4K and the engine / rpm's act as if my 10 year old is quickly, repeatidly gunning the accelerator.
  • i had trouble with my 99 grand am 3.4. it stalled while i was driving and would not start for about 20 mins. so i decided to change the FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR. that fixed the problem for me if i were you i would give it a try. the part cost me 50 but not sure about your vehicle...
  • When I start my car, the rpms shoot way up, and after about 3 seconds come all the way down, almost to stall, but not quite. When I put it in gear, it's fine, as long as I drive with both feet; left on brake and right on gas! At idle speed, it seems to almost want to stall out but doesn't. As a result, I need to keep my foot on the brake and press the gas pedla to keep the rpms at about 1500. Not good for the brakes, either! Also, the 'check engine' light stays on all the time now.
    Ideas? :confuse:
  • I have the same problem with my 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. The check engine light finally came on when it happened and I was able to diagnose it as a bad crankshaft position sensor..about a $50 part.
  • First off, I purchased this vehicle for a racing application and it was involved in a roll over accident.

My question is, is there a shutoff switch by the manufacturer in the event of a roll over or high speed accident that will disable the car?

Please help.... Thanks!

Walt
  • A month ago my car battery died, got it replaced and all was good for a while. Then it started to "slip" every now and then when I tried to start it. I would turn it over and I could hear it spin but the engine wouldn't crank, then the second time I tried it, it would start no problem. This has been increasing in frequency the last few weeks.
    Now this past weekend, when I decelerate to come to a stop it feels like it jerks a little when the transmission switches to its lowest gear (thats the best way I can describe it), and sometimes the "service engine soon" light comes on but usually just briefly until I accelerate again and then it goes away. Sometimes when I am idling the engine sounds like it is about to cut out, almost like it is sputtering along, but this goes away when I hit the gas pedal. at times, when it is idling, the service engine light comes on. When it is doing this the car definitely gets louder (with the sputtering..). I'd really appreciate suggestions and more information about what the possible problem could be. Also, since the car is 20 years old, I'd like to get a best guess on how much the repairs might be for this. Obviously I don't want to spend to much $$ on this car. Its done this a few times before in the past (usually every couple of months or so) but it has usually gone away when I added a half pint or so of engine oil. But this time it doesn't seem to be working.
  • I have same issue. it stalls when the engine is warm. whenever engine is cold, it runs fine. i was driving today and engine lost power, so i step on the gas to prevent it. then cop appeard on amazingly great timing. got a speeding ticket. sucks though. im assuming one of the sensors might be bad is it right?
  • gearrgearr Posts: 21
    All the big 3 car makers put fuel kill swiches in them and GM is one
    of them.
    Gearr
  • Okay, do you have any idea where I should start to look? This info. will help narrow the guess work down....

Thanks again!

Walt
  • My 1992 Pont GP 3.4L will not start, no spark. All fuses and connections to ECM look and test good. Timing belt is good. I'm trying to find the crank sensor to test but am having a bit of a problem. I believe I've located it but it appears to impossible to get too! If I've found the right component, it's located mid engine between the rear of the block and the transmission. Can't even get my hand up to that area! I can barely see it! Any idea how I actually get to it for testing and perhaps replacement?

Great engineering by GM!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ron