Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Am Starting/Stalling Problems

Comments

• sbobosbobo Posts: 4
    Thank you.Keep me updated,it has not done it again,but i use to be able to pop the trunk from inside now i have to open it with the key, HMMMMMMM
  • gtxgtx Posts: 16
    I took the car to AutoZone today and had them check for codes. They told me that I have a cylinder not firing. I could tell when I changed spark plugs that the #1 plug was cleaner than the rest but was hoping that the new NGK's would fix the problem. It looks like wires next.
  • I have a 97 Grand Am with the 2.4L engine. It seems to die for no reason. I will just be driving down the street or highway and it will just die. I thought it was the alternator, but all of the electronics stay on. When I restart it the engine sputters. I have to give it gas so it doesn't die again. It seems like it would be something electrical or with the fuel system, but I am not mechanic. Any suggestions?
    The latest update on my 2002 Pontiac GT is a newly developed over heating problem. I'm so damn sick of this crap.

I'm going to take the time this weekend to change the thermostat and flush the radiator. I was going to last weekend but didn't realize that I was going to have to take the throttle body off to get to the thermostat. I think I'll change the radiator cap as well just for kicks. I've read some post that seemed to suggest that the overflow bottle cap looses it's ability to hole pressure over time and causes the cooling system to not work right. In fact, I think I'll change that tomorrow so I'll be able to tell if that is indeed the problem.

I'm still having trouble with the idle at start up and am going to run some sea foam through the gas to see if it won't clean up some problems for me. I'll do that tomorrow too in the hopes that I can solve all my problems in 15 minutes.

I'll post back with results.
    Okay, I got the Sea Foam in and I changed the radiator cap with a Napa equivalent. I even rinsed out the radiator with a garden hose as best as I could. I should see some kind of results, from the sea foam at least.

I did notice something when she started it up this time. The belt was slipping for a few seconds until all the accessories started to turn. Could the water pump be crapping out on me? I'll have to give it a test when I have the car apart.
  • twick2twick2 Posts: 5
    In other vehicles, including other Grand Ams and my trucks, I have always had problems with the EGR. It had to be cleaned out or replaced fairly regularly. Not to confuse the issue but my '86 Grand Am would stall especially when decelerating.. when the RPM's got low enough. It would not start until it had cooled off a bit.. then it would run for a while but as soon as I slowed down or came to a stop it would die and would not restart. this was at 100K+ but it turned out to be a transmission sensor.
    I am afraid that all new cars have been way overengineered..and electronics being the most sensitive thing will go first..with no warning..If there is a sensor dectected I guess you might as well swap it out as it will fail at some point. Not like in the good old days when you could tell if your carberator was out of sync. I used to have a Brilliant mechanic where I used to live who had a second sight on these things, but all auto manufacturers are making it difficult for the independent to operate. I even heard of a person who changed the battery in their Lincoln and it would not start.. Had to reset the computer.. and only the dealer did that. phooey..
    My problem with going to Autozone is, if it has not thrown a code .. as my problem did not.. I can't get it there if it isn't running and if it is it does not seem like it can be detected. sigh.. ep
    @ Twick2- I would like to respond a full six paragraphs about how shady manufacturers are but just don't have time or the will.

Besides the terrible trend towards making our cars maintenance schedule secret information, we're now facing the possibility of built in faults so that either we buy the extended warranty or we pay out the nose.

My owners manual says change the Dex Cool at 5 years or 150K. All the reading I've done says that 5 years is about the time the stuff turns to a sludge consistence and starts causing problems with head gaskets. At the very least, MANY people have had to have their radiator flushed just to keep their car running. An unfortunate few have even had to have their head gaskets replace as a result of this product.

A lot of people are suing GM and a nation wide class action has just been turned down by the courts. Not because it wasn't justified but because it would have been so complicated to implement. I sure hope this unscrupulous behaver doesn't go unpunished.

At the very least, cover the out of pocket expenses for all the trouble this little scam has caused. We should, and probably will address some antitrust laws to see if GM should have criminal charges brought against them.

This post is a mix of personal opinion and info from various blogs. I hold it to be true but your experience may very. I'm going to flush the radiator myself and I am never again setting foot on a GM car lot. I tried to give American cars a chance but nooooooooo!
    I have finally come to the agonizing realization that I have a blown head gasket. I am going to take it to the dealership on Monday and have it diagnosed by a trained, certified technician so I have the paperwork. I called the lawyers that are in charge of the class actions suit but they had very little to offer. They simply say to keep all receipts. They will update me with information as it becomes available.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/08/gm_dexcool.html

The head gasket explains the rough idle, the over heating, the missing on one cylinder, the white smoke out the tale pipe, the loosing coolant.

My call to the dealership was very telling. They have no intention of covering the cost or admitting that a problem exist. Bastards!
  • i have a 2002 grand am 2.4 engine that won't start. it turns over . we tried the module on top of the motor but it did not change condition.
  • Can you tell me what engine you have (I have a 2.3 liter Quad four) and where the crank sensor is located on the engine?

Thanks
  • I have a 1993 Grand Am with a 2.3 liter Quad 4 and a manual transmission. Car ran fine on Friday and on Saturday morning it cranks, but won't start. Engine Code is 21, but recently replaced the Exhaust Temperature Sensor (that's what Code 21 says). I suspect Cam Position Sensor, but cannot locate it on the engine. Question 1- does anyone know where the Cam Sensor is located on the engine? Question 2- Any other ideas what may be wrong?
    Thanks in advance.
  • my starting issue was one that did NOT throw a code because it is somewhere in the electrical system and GM does not have an on board schematic which might tell anyone where the break occurred. It powered but made no connection with the starter at all. No cranking. after towing it started fine which indicates to me the ignition switch. I have a 6 cyln. epaull
  • Under hood, passenger side, upper engine area, behind alternator, mounted on engine block... this is where the cam should be...
    any other problems might be, an O2 Sensor, or dirty Fuel Injectors, or you mass airflow sensor is bad or dirty, you should be able to pop it off and clean up the wire on the MAF Sensor, you should see that it runs better off... if anything unplug the O2 Sensor, located on the exhaust manifold at the back of the engine, and test it with a regular tester, put the red into the O2 Sensor, and the black on the Engine, it should read .50 or .56 somewhere in that region if its not, you have a bad sensor and that cold cause some staling...

I hope some of this info is helpful in making you satified... Also check this info out to make sure this is not your vehical...

1993 PONTIAC GRAND AM Recall ID from NHTSA: 93V153000
    Auto Recall Date: 19930914
    Vehicle Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH
    Estimated Vehicles Affected: 1103
    1993 PONTIAC GRAND AM Defect Summary:
    THE NEUTRAL START SAFETY SWITCH COULD HAVE BEEN FRACTURED DURING INSTALLATION.
    Defect Consequence:
    A FRACTURED SWITCH CAN RESULT IN A NO-START CONDITION. ALSO, A VEHICLE WITH A FRACTURED SWITCH CAN BE STARTED IN GEAR, CAUSING THEVEHICLE TO MOVE UNEXPECTEDLY, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN AN ACCIDENT.
    Remedy:
    THE DEALER WILL REPLACE THE NEUTRAL START SWITCH. THE MANUAL SWITCH OF THE AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE ASSEMBLY WILL BE INSPECTED AND REPLACED IF AN OVERSIZED CONDITION EXISTS.
    Notes: GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

Jay-Mann
  • Hi! I have a 1997 Pontiac Grand AM SE. It has 210,000 miles on it and i need to squeze another year out of this thing.

Here is my issue. Last Thursday I was driving home from work and the low collant light came on, however the car was not running hot just a tad above normal. On my way home I stopped and bought some collant. The next morning I went out to start up my car and it started fine. I went back outside about 10 min later to put the collant in and it was no longer running. Thinking nothing of it i popped the hood and proceeded to put in the collant. Well i must not of read the container because it was the sort of collant that you have to mix with water so it came out pretty thick...too late i had already put in half a bottle. So then I decided to fill up the collant reservour with water. OK now i go to start the car and almost started but then stopped i try again sort of the same thing. Now it is Wednesday and my car wont start...I seriously doubt that it is the battery and a friend thinks it is the fuel pump.....any thoughts? If it is the fuel pump does anyone know where it is located? :cry:
  • I have a 1999 Grand Am and I pulled the battery out of it for about two months. I installed a new battery and it will not start. It will not even turn over or click. The instrument lights all light up so I know that it is getting power. Could this have erased the computer and if so how can I remedy this? Before I pulled the battery it ran just fine.
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
    Frustrated in Texas!
  • I have an 04 grand am and it won't start. Last Friday I went to start my car and the battery was completely dead..tried jumping it, didn't work had to buy a new battery. Now after the new battery is in, the car won't start, it sounds like it's going to but won't. The fuel pump is not engaging, not making any sound when the car is turned on. We have gotten it started by manually pouring fuel in the intake but it quickly dies. Fuses are good (I think), battery is completely charged, all the power comes on fine now but when we did get it started, after it died the radio gave me ERR code and cd player went crazy....maybe from the battery completely dying? The battery had been going bad I thought because i had to jump it one morning and sometimes it was hard to start, took like 2 or 3 times. Also last week i started the car, put it in reverse, backed up and it just died on me...never happened before, so i was stuck in the middle of the street, after about a minute it started again. And for a while I felt like it might be driving rough, like when accelerating up a hill or that it was just not running as smoothly as usual. I've heard everything from fuel pump, to ignition switch to computer problems to passlock...i just don't know what it is and would like to find out before I have it towed...If anyone can please help..any suggestions..thanks :mad: :cry: :confuse:
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Well, just from your description it sounds like fuel delivery. If it's the passlock issue then the security light will come on and flash (or come on solid if it's running and a problem is detected).
  • Hi, for the last couple of months I have been having trouble with my 99 grand am gt. It seems to randomly not want to start. I take it to my mechanic, and it won't do this for him when it is on the computer, so he can't pinpoint the problem. So, I am driving this car around that I never know if it will start. Now, the last couple of times it didn't start on me, I noticed that the 'security' light was flashing when I tried to start it. After 10 or 15 minutes, the light would stop flashing and the car would start up. Is there any correlation between the light and the car not starting??? What is this security light?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
  • I have a 2005 Pontiac Grand Am and guess what, I'm having starting problems as well. I have noticed on many different websites and discussions when you type in these starting issues with this vehicle that I am not the only one out there having these troubles. Well, heres my problem...I will be driving on the highway and all of a sudden out of no where my car will just slow down all the lights go on up at the dash and then, the car just automatically shuts offs on its own. This is the second it has happened in the past 3 months. The first time I had it towed to a friends house and they changed the something I think was called the fuel regulator...and then the car started right up, but we are still unsure if this is the problem, especially reading some of the other solutions others have had with the same problem. I have no clue what could be wrong, but if I cant get any other suggestions we might as well start off with the regulator again and see if it works again, but I still think that 3 months would be way too soon for that to go bad again, so there must be something messing it up. Any suggestions out there would be a great help to me and very appreciated. Also if there are so many people with these same issues does anyone know what we can do to further proceed with the manufacturer, if even possible? if we all have the same problem and fix, shouldnt there be a recall on these vehicles? Thanks for any help suggested in advance...
    How many miles? I assume that the two times it happened you tried to restart it but it would just spin? Or would it run for few seconds but then stop again?
  • 90k miles, all highway. Yes when I try to restart it just spins, almost like its not getting fuel, but everything else is working like the lights. I heard of the passlock problems in grand ams but I tried the 10 minute wait thing with the key turn to on, but that didnt work for me either....
  • My 2003 acted up again 4 months after the first episode. dash lights but no contact with the starter. This time it stayed "broken" long enough to eliminate most causes since automobile manufacturers continue to have a system critical to the car which does not even begin to throw codes, not even enough to isolate which part of the electrical system was out. Anyhoo.. it came down to a bad fuse-starter connection or the ignition switch.. I had to have both replaced after replacing the ignition switch just a year earlier.. but the other choice was a crap shoot to get stranded. I spoke with someone who used to work for a GM dealership and he said that the ignition switch in this class of car has never been strong and, needless to say, GM refused to track it and address the problem.
    If the security light is not flashing in the gauge cluster when this happens then it's not Passlock, most likely. Is the fuel pump running when you first turn the key to on position? You should hear a low whine from the rear for a few seconds or so.
  • I am not sure if the security light was flashing when it happened, but it is not flashing now when I turn the car on. Yes I can hear the fuel pump running when I turn the key to on position. I just dont understand what could be wrong this car is fairly new and the only thing that I ever really had problems with before this was my key sometimes would get stuck when I tried to turn it in the ignition, and sometimes the handle would get stuck when I tried to get it out of park, but I havent had a problem with the handle in a long time. When I tried the security passlock thing when positioning the key to on position and then turning it to off it will get stuck and I will have to take the key out to try to turn it back to run position, so maybe that is interfering with the process?
  • OK so, I just got a call from the dealer and they scanned it and they are saying it needs a new fuel pump. For some reason I don't think this is right. The car was running on the highway when it shut down out of no where, could this even happen if it were the fuel pump that was bad??? Also, anyone out there ever changed a fuel pump on an 05 grand am?? We are going to attempt to do it, and any info would help. Thanks!
  • OK so, I just got a call from the dealer and they scanned it and they are saying it needs a new fuel pump. For some reason I don't think this is right. The car was running on the highway when it shut down out of no where, could this even happen if it were the fuel pump that was bad??? Also, anyone out there ever changed a fuel pump on an 05 grand am?? We are going to attempt to do it, and any info would help. Thanks!
  • have an 03 grand am se with 54k miles. Had passlock issues a year ago and also the ignition replaced by the dealer. Now having problems starting, believe it is the fuel pump maybe. Had to have it towed last night from works parking garage. 2 weeks ago car stalled while on the road. Checked battery, has juice 1 year old and the electronics still turn on, so can't be alternator. I had to leave the car turned to ON, wait on the fuel pump then could start it. Took it to the dealership and of course the car worked perfectly, until they tried to pull my car around for me. they tried diagnostics all day, couldn't recreate the problem. Had to do my method for the next week to get the car to start. Towed last night. Tried my starting trick, but could not hear the fuel pump kicking in. Tow Truck driver looked at it for me and hit the bottom of the gas tank a couple time to engage the pump. Car starts perfectly. He thinks its the fuel pump as well b/c of that. Car gets towed to the dealer ship and of couse they can't recreate the problem. And they are hesistant of replacing the pump for me. Car will be at dealer for a full 3rd day tomorrow for diagnostics. Should I just have them replace fuel pump just in case? Affraid to drive car anywhere and having to get towing can get expensive. Any help much appreciated!!!
    If the fuel pump fails it won't run, irregardless if your idling at a stoplight or going down the highway.
    The fuel pump is in the gas tank, the tank has to be drained and removed to replace it. It's not a job for a beginner.
  • I also have a grand am 2000 I have close to 107,000 this stalling while driving has happened 3 times while driving on highway 80. First I got a tune up because it needed it real bad it was good for like 4 days now it has done it again my mechanic said something about ignition module
  • i have a 99 2.4L with a little over 90k, i bought it for what i thought was a great deal for my wife and myself just as another car for 3600$ when i test drove it, the car had no problems what so ever except for a few minor exterior details,like chiped paint, but nothing that would make the car not run correctly.
    a few weeks after the purchase the car started to idle funny when i came to a stop, after a few days of doing this it stalled for the first time, i thought it was something to do with the fuel system because the gauges still worked, so i started it back up and it did it again a few days later.
    i replaced the idle air control valve, beaucse i bought one of the diagnostic tools from autozone, and a hanes do it yourself book, and with both of those it tells me im running rich, and to change it out, so i drop 90$ on the sensor and replace it, of course 4 days later it does it again, and now it does nearly every time i stop, and i dont know what to do. the rpm's always go down below 500 before cutting out unless i catch it in time throw it in neutral and rev up the engine if any one has any thing on this let me know