Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    sreddossreddos Member Posts: 5
    If you go to AMEX.com, and do a search for that program, it will take you to it. Basically it's a program where AMEX and certain dealerships agree to a pre-negotiated price for a vehcile, supposedly. I used it and got a price of $34,888 for a fully loaded CX-9 GT (which we ended up getting but from someone else), and then you take that to the dealership and they will honor it. I sent it to a dealership via e-mail and he wasn't to interested in working with me at that price. Plus, it was 45 miles away. Others may have a better experience.
  • Options
    alvincx9alvincx9 Member Posts: 4
    I am thinking about getting a 2010 CX-9 through the Costco Auto program. Now, I'm just curious if I am getting a good deal through this costco program and need your opinions. Here are the Specs:
    CX-9 Sport AWD
    Power Driver Seat
    Remote Engine Start
    Retractable Cargo Cover
    All-Weather Mat

for around $32,000. That includes TTL.
    I'm in California.
    What do you all think?
  • Options
    bowled_overbowled_over Member Posts: 16
    Actually a correction. I see rear view camera image in my dashboard just like NAV system (though dashboard display is somewhat smaller). Just drove down vehicle from dealership. Just love it
  • Options
    tjxtjx Member Posts: 32
    Maybe not so good, don't know for sure but,
    CX-9 Sport AWD
    Power Driver Seat (PW6)
    Remote Engine Start (RSE)
    Retractable Cargo Cover (RCC)
    All Weather Mat (FLA)
    MSRP.....31,955
    Your Price American Express Buying Program at Tustin Mazda, Tustin Calif..
    $28,515........This 'does not' included TTL which will not show on the American Express price page, depends on which dealer and state you get the car from.
  • Options
    So it is basically about a $500 difference. I am actually located in Sacramento, so I think Tustin is a bit far. I will see if AMEX can give a better deal. I also checked with AAA, and it is $200 more than the Costco Program.
    Oh yah, my $32,000 CX-9 would probably include the 0% financing.
  • Options
    tjxtjx Member Posts: 32
    When you get within $500 on competing bids on a $30,000 plus car I would say go for it at the dealer that will serve your needs best. And your deal should definitely include the 0% financing, not bad.
  • Options
    dnds_daddnds_dad Member Posts: 5
    I am looking at a CX-9 Grand Touring FWD and received a cash offer of $34.5k OTD. It is a Liquid Silver with back interior and only the moon roof and power lift gate packages (no navigation). Given the inventory is very high in my area I was thinking of accepting that price as long as it included the 0% for 60 months and the roof rails and a cargo net.

I was think of adding the retractable cargo cover. However, I have read in a few places that it cannot go with the power lift gate, but no reason why..anybody know?

Does this sound like a good deal? Can I do any better?

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    wantsdecentcarwantsdecentcar Member Posts: 8
    I am looking at a used CX9, 2007 with 43,000 miles. Grand Touring, moon roof, NAV, RES, the works. $23,500. Seems about $2K off kbb - good for used car these days?
  • Options
    gellogello Member Posts: 4
    Alvin,

Here is my experience:

Purchased a 2010 AWD Sport from a Southern California dealer. Price was $28,048 before TTL. I used USAA and their pre-negotiated system to make a dealer offer. There were no extra options installed. I could have purchased the vehicle for $27,048 but opted for the 0%/60 months offer turning down a manufacturer-dealer incentive of $1000.
  • Options
    njpathfinder28njpathfinder28 Member Posts: 16
    I'm looking at a CX-9 Touring with the BOSE/moon roof/liftgate package.

I really don't want the moon roof. Losing that 1.2" of headroom puts me mighty close to the roof!

Has anyone had the dealer install a 6 CD changer or a different radio?
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    edited February 2010
    It seems that CX-9 GT AWDs are scarce in Florida, and the Southeast. And the ones that trickle in are fully-loaded with options that I prefer not to have, like the Navigation system. I found some CX-9s to my liking but they are quite a bit north of my location and I'm afraid that any bargaining leverage available will be lost if a local dealership has to acquire the vehicle elsewhere for a significant distance.

I'm contemplating about ordering a vehicle, but I've never done it before. And, I'm also concerned about losing bargaining leverage since ordering a vehicle seems like a full commitment to purchasing the vehicle, regardless of price.

I am all for venturing out of state to get the best deal, but I have a vehicle to trade-in and lugging the vehicle around for, possibly, a long distance seems counterproductive.

Has anyone ordered a CX-9 and got a good deal?
    Or, ventured out of state to get a CX-9 and traded in a vehicle, as well?
    I would appreciate it if you shared your experience. Thanks.
  • Options
    grinch80grinch80 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    Purchased in Boston area.

CX-9 GT AWD
    Moonroof/Bose
    Nav
    Power liftgate
    All weather mats
    Splash guards
    Wheel locks
    Roof rails

Price: 36,600 + 249 doc fee + TTL; Used 0% financing / 60 months option.

My discussions with dealers revealed that if you don't elect to use the financing option, many dealers are likely to reduce the price to somewhere in the high 35's.
  • Options
    jsanders3jsanders3 Member Posts: 2
    Thinking of buying the GT with Bose / moon roof and power lift gate. I was offered 31,900 along with the 0% for 60 months. I am in the St Louis area with a pretty light inventory of cx-9s. It seems like a good price, but don't know if it the best time to buy a new car right now. What does everyone think of this price?
  • Options
    joeydoeyjoeydoey Member Posts: 2
    JsSanders3,

The price of 31900 is great for the car you mentioned. I got mine for $34000 with an additional $500 for owning a Toyota (Thus $33500 + TTL with 0% financing). I got it a pearl white grand touring with nav, moonroof, power liftgate, and towing prep... MSRP was $38015.

Honestly I would not bother getting the factory nav system. Its routing system is terrible and often takes you on some really out of the way paths. The only saving grace is the large touchscreen which doubles as a backup camera. If not for this the $1400 nav system would be a total loss!!

The car is otherwise great so take the plunge and enjoy!!
  • Options
    joeydoeyjoeydoey Member Posts: 2
    Allan20,

All the models of the Cx9 have the same basic features. The grand touring is what I bought because I wanted the blind spot monitoring, advnced keyless and 20 inch wheels.

Honestly the blind spot monitoring systems is great and really a big help when changing lanes on the freeway. The xenon bulbs on the GT are brighter and help you see better, the advanced keyless entry takes some time to get used to but once you are adjusted it is great to not have to fumble for your keys when you get to your car. The 20 inch wheels just look great but are very similar in design to the standard 18 inch wheels.

The other features on the Grand touring such as automatic wipers, lights, memory seats, etc. are kind of a waste.

If you can spare the extra few grand it is worth it in my opinion.
  • Options
    vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    My 09 GT has the Nav system and I'm about ready to rip it out of the dash. It's the worst nav system I've ever used. You can't program it while moving, it continuously gives me POIs that are hundreds or thousands of miles away, and the guidance given is almost never the optimal solution. If you can find a GT without nav, save the money and buy a good Garmin system.
  • Options
    I'm in the process of buying a CX-9 in the AWD Touring with BOSE package.
    And I'd like to thank you all for taking the time to write down what you paid for your CX-9. It does help.

The one question I have is "How can Mazda call it 0% financing when you have to pay $1000 in "Interest" up front"?
  • Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    The one question I have is "How can Mazda call it 0% financing when you have to pay $1000 in "Interest" up front"?

It is a 0% loan. Where are you getting that you need to pay $1,000 interest up front??
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's 1,000 cash back or 0% interest (from Mazda), so if you take the "0%" financing, the car will cost you $1,000 more than if you don't. That means you are "paying" $1,000 for the 0% loan.
  • Options
    jcpharmjcpharm Member Posts: 92
    edited February 2010
    first of all, it is not $1000 up front - you are spreading it out over 60 months (or whatever time period the loan is for).

second of all, would you loan money to someone (in a business sense, not as a favor) at "0%" interest without getting something back for it? this is how the banks/loan companies make money - don't be so naive to think that a for-profit company is going to sell you something at their "lowest possible price" AND give 0% financing unless they have good reason to think you will come back to them for service, parts, accessories, or something else that will make them money.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's 1,000 cash back or 0% interest (from Mazda), so if you take the "0%" financing, the car will cost you $1,000 more than if you don't. That means you are "paying" $1,000 for the 0% loan.

That is not the correct way to look at it. Most every manufacturer has an "either / or" type of incentives.

You negotiate the price of the car and then apply which incentive you would like to use. You do not add on $1,000 to the price of the car just to use the 0% financing. The way the poster worded is made it sound like there was a $1,000 fee to use the 0%, which is totally false.

The 0% being offered is truly 0%, and you don't pay extra to get it.
  • Options
    Aviboy,

I received a quote from a dealer that looked good. So I went to buy the car. When I told them I would like the 0% financing, they right away told me the car would be $1,000 more. So, I felt I was being charged $1,000 for the 0% loan.

If I had gone into the dealer and they said "You can have 0% or $1,000 off our quote" My perception would be different.
  • Options
    Yah, the dealer was probably doing a Bait and Switch. They gave you the lower $1000 price quote to get you in, ASSUMING you were going to pay in CASH or do your own financing. They are supposed to give you the price as if you were financing through them, then say if you were going to do CASH, then they'll take $1000 off. NOT the other way around.
    I myself am still in the process of deciding whether to get my CX-9 Sport AWD or a Honda Odyssey. That 0% for 60 months is very tempting. We are already approved for it, it's just that I thought the 2nd row would be roomier. For sure the Odyssey is, but that's a MiniVan.
    Anyways ,if you have costco, they give $500 off the invoice. =)
  • Options
    politico1politico1 Member Posts: 8
    Any sense how much longer the 0% financing will last? I know it says until 3/1/2010, but will it get extended another month?
  • Options
    cross_currentcross_current Member Posts: 14
    Alvin- I don't believe at the Costco price (or with the AMEX buying program price) that you will get 0% financing from the dealer.
  • Options
    coolisjadecoolisjade Member Posts: 2
    Mazda CX-9 GT AWD, moon roof/bose package, navi, roof racks, all weather mats, 0% APR financing = $35,900 including lifetime motor warranty (i guess thats free for all vehicles purchased from Tracy Mazda).

How is everyone else doing? I contacted every dealer in the San Francisco Bay Area they gave the best deal. The buying experience from was surprisingly easy and smooth since I was prepared with a pre approved loan and my research completed.
  • Options
    I received a quote from a dealer that looked good. So I went to buy the car. When I told them I would like the 0% financing, they right away told me the car would be $1,000 more. So, I felt I was being charged $1,000 for the 0% loan.

I kinda figured that is what happened to you. I get where you are coming from now.

It is very common for dealers to quote a price including cash incentives over the internet because it does look like the lowest price. There is nothing wrong with this practice, for my store does it as well. However, my salesmen always make it very very clear that if special financing is chosen, there is a different price and that is listed as well.

From a dealers perspective, if you quote a price that is higher then your competition, then you usually do not hear back from that potential customer. So, dealers need to be creative to find ways to establish a rapport with a customer. I do not agree with sleazy and misleading practices such as not disclosing how one arrived to a price that is quoted. I deal with dealers that quote falsely all the time. It really pisses people off.

Good luck with finding a CX-9 to buy, if you have not purchased already. If you need any help with incentives or how they are priced, just let me know. I will be glad to help!
  • Options
    svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    ..nice to hear from you...you are one of those "rare" sales people out here, honesty should always pay...li9ke I said to you before (Ralph L.)..when October comes around you will be the first one that I will contact foe my next Mazda CX9...I will have to travel a bit but you deserve my business if the numbers are ok...good luck to you.....specially now since Toyota..well you know...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    @aviboy97, any chance of helping me source a CX-9 GT AWD without navigation in the state of Florida? Or at least not too far from Central Florida, i.e. Orlando, Daytona Beach, Tampa. I can live with White, Silver, even Red. Even the ones scheduled to come down from the factory.

Thanks in advance, if you decide to assist.
  • Options
    crikey,

I'm located in the North East, so, I really don't have any info to help you with inventory in Florida. I do know that FWD CX-9's are far more popular in FL then AWD. Add that to the fact that most CX-9 GT's are ordered with nav, that makes your search that much harder.

Have you tried Mazda's vehicle locator at mazdaUSA.com?
  • Options
    svo-

Just a little FYI, CX-9 inventory is in full bloom again. Deals are getting better. Hopefully there are some great deals to be had in October for you.

In regards to Toyota. What happened?? LOL j/k...
  • Options
    Yeah, hit and miss shows Virginia has the closest CX-9s that would be of interest. I just thought that you guys might have better locators. Thanks anyway, I appreciate it.
  • Options
    You will NOT get 0% with AMEX. But with Costco, all incentives and rebates still apply. Also, Costco has the No Haggle, which I like. I went to another Mazda dealer that doesn't have the costco program, and they gave me the run around and still couldn't go below invoice. They just wasted my time, but built my confidence with the pricing from Costco.
    Oh, I was checking a used Odyssey for the heck of it, I caught the sales person lying about putting a lower price. I asked him, "are you 100% sure they put that price this morning" He said "Yes, I was there when the put that sticker price on" I called him out and said "They had that price since Saturday." He got upset and left. I really hate dishonest people. Just be honest, and maybe you'll get a sale.
  • Options
    Aviboy,

I have made it a habit to ask the dealer if their price quote includes the destination charge and if the price is good with 0% financing.

This particular dealer never did answer my question about the 0% financing and I asked a numer of times. That should have told me something, but I didn't listen. Hey, when the car you want is sitting right on the lot, you can get a little hard of hearing.

I also ask about the "doc fees' too. When they are close to $400 that's a lot!

I'll continue to look. I was hoping to buy this weekend, but that may not happen.
  • Options
    Glad to hear inventories are high again...and so the prices...lol...lol...please send your info to svofan1@optonline.net.....not that carspace thing that I can't understand....whatever you sent me before I must have lost it because I could not find it...thanks
  • Options
    missjillmissjill Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2010
    Would the cost have been $1000 less if you paid in cash? This is what I am considering except I want a remote start. Did your cx-9 have the blindside monitoring or would that be extra? A lifetime motor warranty...That sounds great! I quickly looked at one the other night and I am planning on test driving tomorrow. Did this price include any rebate? Thanks for posting your price.
  • Options
    politico1politico1 Member Posts: 8
    Does anyony have any thoughts on how long 0% interest will last? Trying to time purchase and push it back as late as possible in the year.
  • Options
    cross_currentcross_current Member Posts: 14
    I sent a pm to your yahoo address. Thanks.
  • Options
    I actually do have a nationwide locator. My apologies. I did look up with you are looking for and you are right, there are only 3 in the Southeast region, and they are all in Virginia. Best of luck!
  • Options
    aztcufrogaztcufrog Member Posts: 7
    I'm in Arizona and am looking at a deal for a CX-9 Touring. Can someone reply to let me know if this looks reasonable?

2010 Touring
    White ($200 Premium for that)
    Moonroof/Bose
    Power Liftgate

$31,369 is the price.

Then I want Remote Engine Start and that's $385 from the dealer.

After that they've already added tint for $279 and doc fees of $398.

I haven't bought a car from a dealership in a long time so I'm out of the loop on this. Does this look reasonable? Anyone had success getting dealers to waive doc fees? Salesman is saying tint and doc fees are the two things he CAN'T remove. OK, but maybe room on the car price as well? Also, is $385 for remote start a good price? I have no idea.
  • Options
    Thanks for confirming that.
  • Options
    beachbobbeachbob Member Posts: 1
    Here is a link to Edmunds using a Phoenix zip code. Looks like their price is fair.
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/mazda/cx9/101236054/optionsresults.html?action=2-
  • Options
    Thanks, saw that before. Also, Truecar.com shows a lower price than TMZ as a "good price". Anyway, looking at some of the prices paid from 2009 the numbers seemed to be a lot lower than they are now. Maybe that's due to rebates that were available then, but I want the 0% financing now. Plus I don't have a trade-in so my OTD price will be higher as I have nothing to offset the purchase price.
  • Options
    Does the $31,369 price include the destination charge? I find many quotes don't.
    At $750 it's not a trivial amount.
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me how much the gas guzzler tax was for the CX-9 they purchased?

Thanks.
  • Options
    where have you heard that?.....Mazda CX9 is NOT that much of a luxury car..or priced like a luxury car....your info is flawed....the answer is NOTHING...
  • Options
    I did some research, in New Jersey it's true. If a vehicle doesn't get 19 MPG combined, there's an additional 0.4% tacked on to the 7% sales tax. According to the car dealer, It adds over $500 to the price of the car.

That's NJ for you. We even have an "exit tax" here, if you leave the state, they tax you for leaving.

According to Mazda the 0% requires taking delivery by March 1st, I just don't see that happening for me. No way to get to the dealer today. Guess I'll miss that deal.
  • Options
    The CX-9 does not get charged the Federal Gas Guzzler tax.
  • Options
    New Jersey has it's own tax. It's not a federal tax.

Still don't know how the dealer came up with his numbers. Car buying gives me quite a headache.
  • Options
    Yes, the $31,369 does include the destination charge. Can't believe people wouldn't quote that, but there are all sort of salespeople out there.