Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• Options
    oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    just got a call from my wife that she was involved in an accident with our Seq... Two people reversing at same time and banging rear-ends...I am miffed, knowing that it is kinda 50:50 at-fault here and I may have to take care of the rear damage by myself (thru' my insurance). This is what happens when you let the spouse drive your new rig; they drive a big truck like it is a small sedan... Jeez !!!
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Blame your wife to her face like that and you'll really catch hell! The insurance deductible costs a lot less than alimony!
  • Options
    minhskiminhski Member Posts: 36
    Been gone a couple of days and came back with 80 messages waiting.

One week with the new SEQ and crayons struck.

Yes, my 3 yrs old son went crazy with the red, gren, and blue crayons and left marks all over the rear arm rests, as well as the 3rd row side walls.

How do you clean it off? 409 perhaps?
  • Options
    adebisi1adebisi1 Member Posts: 50
    "Blame your wife to her face like that and you'll really catch hell! The insurance deductible costs a lot less than alimony!"

Gimme a friggin break!
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Humor, get it?
  • Options
    dupont1dupont1 Member Posts: 14
    There's been a good bit of discussion about body v. trim colors and I thought I might reiterate my perplexing experience. I waited 5 weeks for my Desert Sand SR5 and when it arrived it had the silver and NOT warm gray trim (the latter of which does match the body color very well) I was told by the manager that the factory is now installing the Desert Sands with the silver trim which looks less than desirable. I don't know whether this was an abberation or whether what the manager said was true. Anyway, for anyone who has the Desert Sand on order, don't be surprised if it arrives with the silver trim.
  • Options
    dupont1dupont1 Member Posts: 14
    I just bought my black Limited five days ago and it drives great! I do notice the clicking in the first few minutes of driving, but my 92 Ford Explorer did the exact same thing and it was the injectors. After 176,000 miles, it stills clicked for a few minutes in the morning, but no engine work was ever required. The noise that concerns me on the Seq. is that which occurs when I first place the vehicle in reverse. The front left brake seems to crack and then I don't hear the noise again. Has anyone else experienced the problem or have an explanation?

Thanks.
  • Options
    dianne4toyotadianne4toyota Member Posts: 343
    Heyyy, lay offa Raybear, he's actually pretty funny when he gets going! Those CT New Yawkers see sarcasm in everything!

The 2002's won't have too much in the way of changes. Perhaps a color deletion or two. They threaten to delete the chestnut, as well as the addition of perhaps red to the Limiteds. Other than that, as Colonel Klink always said: "I know nozink!"..and when I do, you know you can count on me to post what the scoops are! :D

Dianne
  • Options
    I didn't really perceive the tone of your message.
  • Options
    Whats a CT New Yorker?!?

Oh well...nothing new for 2002!
  • Options
    missemisse Member Posts: 22
    I've had several bad cases of gum on upholstery and trim on dark-red Lincoln and beige Ford Explorer. I use "Goof Off", available in fine Home Depots everywhere. Not sure if it works on leather... IF we ever get a Sequoia I'm thinking of installing detectors to search my kids for hazardous materials before they can get in!
  • Options
    virg7virg7 Member Posts: 7
    I have checked some body shops on good recommendations and really professional looking color block out(monotone) will cost around $800.00. There is a dealer near me that is color blocking their SR5's and trying to get >$2.5k for it. I have never liked two tones and I always factor in the cost of blocking the color out. So, if you are unhappy with the color of the bumpers and fenders this is an option, maybe not a cheap one, but still an option.
  • Options
    rruck1rruck1 Member Posts: 91
    The brochure has the Desert Sand paired with Warm Silver (which doesn't look silver at all and matches nicely on my Sequoia) with the other 2 colors being Thunder Gray and Silver Sky. Thunder Gray doesn't look too gray and would probably match the Desert Sand as well. Are you saying that they put Silver Sky, which actually looks silver - go figure, on the Desert Sand? Yeeessshhh, I guess too many people were happy with the Desert Sand/ Warm Silver combo (or maybe I'm just color blind).
    As long as we are talking about colors, I was amused that the dealer kept referring to my Desert Sand SR5 as being 'champagne'. I think he found the color names confusing as well.
  • Options
    dforrdforr Member Posts: 55
    Dianne's reference to people from Fairfield County, CT should be Newyorkers. New Yawkers are from the Bronx or LA. We prefer NYCity to Hartford, since we send money to both govt's by many different means, and Hartford offers little in return. We'd re-elect Giuliani if they'd let us vote! He got rid of the squeegee guys on every street corner within a month of taking office, and NYCity has gotten 10 times better for the out-of-town crowd since that first act.

So, California loves their white and silver. White is bad in the great Northeast - shows way too much dirt too fast - better own a car wash. Silver and green are the early leaders on the roads around here, but blue is in the pipeline. No blacks, reds or chestnuts seen. There is at least one Thunder Gray standing on every dealers lot. Slowwww moving...

oac3 - what's the estimated repair bill for that rear bumper?? Curious. I'm replacing a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee rear bumper (plastic over new steel bar) for $530.
  • Options
    4onfloor4onfloor Member Posts: 1
    I have a Land Crusier that is coming up on the end of its lease. I decided to take out a Seq. on a test drive today. Overall, I like the look and feel but pushing the brakes was like trying to budge a huge rock, unresponsive and tough to move. I'm not sure if this is common or whether its isolated to the vehicle I drove. Please let me know your experiences..
  • Options
    turbojoe74turbojoe74 Member Posts: 5
    Toyotatoys please send me an email at timebeam@aol.com where you got your Sequoia. I have been looking for months and now have one on order SR5 with only 1800 off. Looking for better deal. I live in GST area also.
  • Options
    jeffnjmejeffnjme Member Posts: 36
    Just wondering, if I am the only one that is starting to feel like sequoia's are becoming like Expeditions and Explorers--that is everywhere I turn I see one. I went to the San Diego airport on Tuesday and in the short term parking lot there were 3 SR-5s within 20 cars of my limited. (for those of you that want color info the three SR5s where all different colors, white, silver and desert sand) my limited is Silver. To continue the thread of how many can there be in San Diego, I saw a blue marlin and thunder gray on my way home from work. Boy was that Blue Marlin real pretty--if only the limited came in that color-actually the white at the airport was also very nice.

Just wondering!

Is this just happening to me or has our "exclusive" vehicle become the Taurus of tomorrow. This does not all change my opinion of the vehicle but it does make me wonder!
  • Options
    nota4renota4re Member Posts: 54
    4onfloor - what you experience is normal for a new car... well, most Toyotas anyway. The brake pads and rotors have not been seated yet but after a couple of hundred miles, they'll be as good as the cruiser. By the way, I'm doing the same thing you are. My '98 Cruiser is at end of lease so we have ordered the Sequoia.
  • Options
    thirdsuvthirdsuv Member Posts: 209
    You're imagining things. Yukon/XL+Expedition total 50K/month while Sequoia is 5K.
  • Options
    starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    Never know if studies are true in the real world, but the one I read about Europeans being more interested in safety technology and Americans more interested in color sure is true on the US side, based on the last 50 posts. When I go into a dealer about 90% can't even guess what the stability system really does, or is supposed to do, except it has 'some thing to do with stability' is the best quote.

As for back up accidents, all things are possible but the back up alert on the Excursion has saved us one possible bump. And when our daughter parked it the other day, just when she got worried about the Mercedes behind her, on came the beep and she knew she still had 3 ft. but since it was her first go at parallel parking in the beast she forgot it was there. Only thing I wish the Ex had was stability, and thats why I'm 'lurking' here just to see if there is any meaningful discussion. Still hoping, and enjoy your colors, mine's white.
  • Options
    waltropwaltrop Member Posts: 9
    I have a SR5 2 wheel drive and I start my car and put the car in drive and start to drive and I hear two clicking noises Is that normal? If so what is it? I have read my owners manual and can't find the problem. Please give me some feedback anyone. Thank You
  • Options
    stkgatorstkgator Member Posts: 16
    Here are some suggestions for (minor) improvements for the Sequoia.

a. Brighter dome lights with the ability to turn on/off all the dome lights from the front. One idea would to have the front map-lights illuminate when the doors are opened (like the Sienna).

b. The gauge's could use a bit more contrast as they are harder to read in subdued, non-direct lighting. This is probably due to the gray face with off-white lettering. If the dash lights were always illuminated, this would probably solve the problem.

c. The A/C display is a bit hard to read during the day from the drivers seat due to the angle and glare from the display surface.

d. Steering wheel audio controls (like the Sienna).

e. All the dash/door buttons should be illuminated (door lock, rear window, side-mirrors, sun-roof).

f. Replace the radio antenna with the on-glass type (like the Sienna XLE). Although the antenna is a good height gauge to determine if you are going to rip off the roof when driving under low overhangs.

g. Height adjustment for the front seats.

The Sequoia is a great vehicle, and I would highly recommend it to anyone. BTW, yes, the Sienna is our other vehicle.
  • Options
    The clicking noises are a subject that's been bantered about here for a while... Its a self check on the VSC/tracs system. Normal.

Dianne
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Thanks. Its nice to come back from a couple of days fishing and read a post like yours. I truly appreciate the good words.
  • Options
    Thanks! We sure enjoy being here with ya'll. I learn so much from the owners and trend-setters here. It's a great privilege as well to be able to read the cross-country span of experiences and questions. Like I said, I learn a lot as well.

Dianne
  • Options
    curious33curious33 Member Posts: 14
    On April 12, I posted a question that echoed a question asked by someone else a day or so earlier (formerly Post # 2078). Now both that post and my post are no longer on the board and I am wondering why.

Our question was simply to ask if anyone had any information about WHEN the Sequoia would be tested for crashworthiness or rollover resistence. Does anyone know?

Also, I am wondering why those posts on safety would be deleted or were they moved to another discussion?
  • Options
    If I had information on that, I'd post it. You'll have to ask those agencies who do the testing when they plan on it.
  • Options
    I did e-mail NHTSA and they sent back a message re: the limited budget to test vehicles, etc. and no indication of when this new vehicle might be tested. I was just hoping someone out there might have information about future testing plans. I know many of us must be wondering the same thing.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Blame it on Friday the 13th. Town Hall hiccuped and we lost most posts yesterday. More details here:

Sylvia "Talk to the Hosts Part Three" Apr 12, 2001 8:25pm

Apologies.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    Thanks for letting me know the cause of the missing posts!
  • Options
    oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    To those who'd like to know what it costs to repair the little collision to the Seq. Here it is:

Two rear-enders (on back-ups) did not cause any dent to the bumper (of both cars), only minor paint chips. But, while the damage may have been minor, the cost isn't: Estimate was $446.12 to re-paint the entire bumper; 2-3 days to leave the vehicle at the body shop.

The low-cost approach will be to simply buy the color paint from the Toyota dealership (cost = $5.50) and do a touch-up. There were four chips to the paint, no dents anywhere. And since the bumper is plastic, no rust expected, hence why not simply go low-cost ?

On another note, raybear, thanks for that *humor*. I agree 100% with you, the cost of repair is far less than an alimony :-)

Have a wonderful easter weekend everyone
  • Options
    tarado96tarado96 Member Posts: 3
    To Cliffy, Dianne, or others:

I preferenced a white limited sequoia 21/2 weeks ago, to be delivered 6-8 weeks. I live in the Houston area.

I checked with my dealer today, who told me that my name was in the system, but that there was no VIN# yet, because Gulf States Toyota is so overloaded with orders that it is only fulfilling 7% of the orders.

Now seven percent sounds like a extremely small fulfillment rate, but I don't know.

Looks like I may have to wait 3-4 months at this rate. Would appreciate any help.

Regards,

John
  • Options
    I can't help much with the GST region. Something does not sound right to me but I have no way to check it out. GST is on its own system. All I know is that we have no problems filling orders within 6 to 8 weeks on just about anything. Limiteds are more difficult to get than the SR5 but not impossible. I even have a white Limited right now. If your dealer was in this region, they could trade us for something they have.
  • Options
    Just to prove that you can buy anything on EBAY.

Here is an aftermarket Sequoia leather kit. Wacky.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=578480679&r=0&t=0

• Options
    Cliff, I am going to wait for two more weeks, and then check if a temporary serial number or VIN# is given to my auto. If not, I think I will take my deposit back and business elsewhere.

Just wish either you or Dianne were closer to our region. Thanks.

John
  • Options
    geepergeeper Member Posts: 18
    Tarado, please email me per my profile with who your dealer was. I am in the process of choosing a dealer to order through and would appreciate the feedback.
  • Options
    Please email me per my profile withte GST dealer you used to get your 5% over deal. Most bids I have received are in the 7.5%+ range.
  • Options
    Dianne,

What is your typical leadtime when ordering a blue marlin SR5? Are any options cause for a delay (i.e PM, CQ, GY, etc.)?
  • Options
    These hosts are very strict about any self-promotion. I think that if you look hard enough... you'll find a way to email me. I can answer you then, all righty?

Lead time for me here is 4 to 6 weeks. Faster when I actually have the car!

Dianne
  • Options
    Sorry, didn't mean to get anyone in trouble. Thought htis would be good general knowledge for comparison, but I will send private.....

G
  • Options
    Geep, the only problem is that when I try and compare things for folks, it's carefully scrutinized to make sure I am not requesting business by explaining how things might work in other areas. It depends on the mind set of the forum leaders.

What I did email you, and please forgive me if it gets deleted, is that a "PM" package might be unavailable to other regions, like yours perhaps.... and it can take up to 4 months for other areas to get PMs if it isn't an item that is regularly requested. It also might be that blue marlin color isn't ordered in enough volume in your area, and the chance to get a blue with leather is so slim, it's wicked to think of a wait time.
    There are people in places who CAN guarantee you a car with the exact features, and exact color combo you want. I am certain you know at least one. :D

Dianne
  • Options
    hguy11hguy11 Member Posts: 16
    Here is something one of my owners did and liked really well. Had Remote re-programmed for tailgate window. Tell your dealer that these settings are described in the “New Car Features” manual. The dealer should have a copy of this. The dealer must use the scan tool to tell the computer which mode to go into. This function is called “c-best.”

The dealer can change the function of the rear window to any of the following functions:
    1) Window Down with one touch of the button.
    2) Window Down after button is held for 1 Sec.
    3) Window Down after the button is clicked 2 times
    4) Prohibit Mode (Will not activate with the button on the transmitter).
    The dealer must use the scan tool to tell the computer which mode to go into.
    This function is called “c-best.”
  • Options
    Just ignore the funky #'s on my last post..???
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I suspect you composed off-line in Word, and Microsoft's "Smart Quotes" gotcha. You do have 30 minutes to edit them out if you wish--you can also turn off smartquotes in Word, or compose off-line in a text editor like NotePad.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    You are correct...I copied and pasted. Let my time run out to correct.
  • Options
    mad24mad24 Member Posts: 3
    Dianne or cliff

Would like to know if it is possible to place a factory built order with a dealer specifying that I don't want the third row of seats? I want to put my 103 l. golden retriever back there where the third row of seats are located.

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    Just pull them out. There is no way to order one without the seats but they are very easy to remove.
  • Options
    bayouboy3241bayouboy3241 Member Posts: 1
    Just finished riding in the back seat of a Sequoia and Yukon back to back. Something potential buyers might want to investigate. Noticed a missing trim piece on drivers lower seat belt anchor and cloth seat cover seams not sewn with typical high toyota quality. Also a noticeable (from the back seat) body flex in the Sequoia and not in the Yukon. By the way my friend preferred the Sequoia to the Yukon. I thought some of you might be interested in a back seat viewpoint.
  • Options
    The BAD news:

Ordered it on Dec23, got it today, nuff said.
    Big time penalty by ordering an SR5 with airbag and PM leather in SE region. Supposedly GY had a 5% forcast and PM had a 0% which meant a LONG lead time.

The GOOD news:

All local dealers took position of NO orders.
    Shotgun EMAIL of rural dealers found a few leads.
    No mention of nasty Southeast TDA.
    No ripoff TOYOguard or any dealer adds.
    SR5 4x4 silver, PM,GY,AH, and 6 other options.
    $1400 over Edmunds invoice ($3900 under MSRP)

I asked manager if he wanted me to give out his dealer name he firmly said "NO".
    PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, do NOT EMAIL me for the dealer name, you'll be wasting your time.

The BEST news:

Completely destroys the 99 Expedition I owned.
    Oh man it's quiet.
    The sunroof is beautiful, big, and quiet(I'm glad I took my wifes advice to purchase). It really
    gives a sense of space and openess. I thought it was an expensive panzy-[non-permissible content removed] girly frill but it was money well spent. (I'd pay double for it now)
    No goofy-[non-permissible content removed] downshifts on inclines that made my Expy go gear hunting.
    I'm 6'3" and got loads of headroom. Headrest goes high enough even for me.
    Very comfortable seats especially compared to the torture rack that is in the Expy.
    Drove it 170 miles through the mountains of Carolina and was amazed at how refined it drove.
    I'll say it again, this thing embarrasses Chevy/Ford....badly.
    Of course not a single thing was found wrong on 2-hour check before leaving dealer.
    The 4WD test on dry pavement and turning hard circles revealed ZERO grinding/scrubbing just as promised by Cliffy. (The salesguys were amazed)
    Very nice working and accessible climate control.
    Of course the ergonomics,fit/finish, and grace of engineering of 2nd/3rd row seats are years ahead of detroit.

The ERRORS:
    Close those rear doors hard!
    Yep...the radio has too much bass, but the louder you crank it the better it sounds.

That DAMN antannae. What are the odds that over 10+ years of ownership that we won't forget to turn off radio (and WAIT FOR IT TO GO DOWN Grrrr)
    before entering garage. I'm seriously considering cutting the power line to antannae
    after it goes down the 3 or 4" to clear opening.
    Kinda wondering what that will do to reception.
    PLEASE, Toyota, offer me the option of a fixed whip antannae when I come into the shop in a few weeks with my bent antannae. Toyota is going to go broke replacing my "stuck" anatannaes that I cram back down into hole after unbending it.

Disregarding antanae, I'm a very happy camper!
  • Options
    Congrats on your new rig! I can't wait for mine to arrive.

BTW, were you told by your salesperson that it would take this long for your seq. to arrive, or the usual 6-8 weeks?

Regards,

John