Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Cherokee

Comments

• Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Actually the only thing Jeep is going to have that's off-road worthy (in the extreme sense) is the Wrangler. The new Grand is going to have a IFS so the only model that will have a solid front axle is the Wrangler. If I understand it correctly, the new Grand will be the first they aren't even attempting to cross the Rubicon. They managed to get the Liberty through, but I guess no way on the new ('05) Grand.

I wouldn't lose sleep over the ABS, but I try to NOT rely on such things. I intentionally bought my XJ without ABS. While it can be helpful, I find it an annoyance in many circumstances and not worth paying up-front and down the road when the controller craps itself and the dealer wants $1000 to fix it. ABS isn't very common on the XJ either. Dealer printed me a sheet of about 80 different XJ's for me to sift through the options and very few had ABS.
  • Options
    boredbored Member Posts: 300
    There's a cloudy future for Jeep. Some have said that the new Grand Cherokee is going to be completely Rubicon Capable (NO IFS, or IRS), stock, but others have said differently. Car-truck.com says that the new Grand Cherokee is going to be completely off-road capable. The new XK Commander (An Escalade, and H2 Competitor) is a stretched version of the Grand Cherokee. There's also a new Jeep Scout coming, an entry level Jeep based on the KJ. THe future for Jeep is not as bleek as someone may think it is. And yes, dealers are VERY UPSET with the selling performance of the KJ. They'd rather have the XJ back, and I don't blame them. Maybe if they brung the '97 Jeep Dakar back as the Cherokee, I could forgive them.

I only want ABS because I am a young inexperienced driver, who has already been spoiled by ABS in Driver's Training, it was in a panic stop, and I had to swerve. (The wheels surely would have locked if the car didn't have it. Either that, or hit the van that was in front of me.)

I would not even think of an SUV if:

1. I didn't learn to drive in one.
    2. I didn't need the cargo capabilities bad.

I could live with a FWD car very well.

When my mother went looking for XJs in '01, she was handed a list of XJ Sports in stock, and all of them had ABS. So, maybe it's just the region?
  • Options
    cherokeelmtcherokeelmt Member Posts: 22
    My 98 Malibu that I traded in for my 99 Limited Cherokee had ABS. It was a nice option, came in handy. I was suprised that my Cherokee did not have it. After Driving my incredible Jeep through rain and foot deep snow I do not miss the ultra sensetive ABS. As long as you are careful ( which you should be anyway ) You really don't need the ABS. 4X4 is awesome in the snow , but does not replace the need for common sense, nor does ABS. Just my $.02
  • Options
    "4X4 is awesome in the snow , but does not replace the need for common sense, nor does ABS. Just my $.02 "

Hmm, question...would 4x4 help if all 4 wheels were on ice? Would it get me going any faster (Or just get me going period!)? I think it would be better to have 4 wheels digging for traction, especially if one, or two are on dry land. I experienced this earlier, on ice, when the rear drive wheels had NO traction. I was just about to put it into 4HI, when I finally found some traction. In this situation, the front wheels were on dry land. It's not like I was stuck, but I was going up a small hill, at a slow speed, and I pushed the gas (OK, tapped the gas), and started to slide down...scary moment, since the police were behind me.

I would like to back, and simulate this situation, but it's late...
  • Options
    First off, a 4x4 system doesn't mean all four wheels are going to get power. At best, you might get three wheels power, and that would be if you had the trac-lok rear differential. Usually when in 4X4 only two wheels (one front, one rear) is driving you. This is the case in almost any 4X4 system until you get into the rather sophisticated ones. 4X4 will help you get started on ice but don't expect any miracles particularly if everything is ice. We got hit with an ice storm christmas eve and there were many cars not going (I waited on one to slide sideways down a hill) but I was getting along ok. Very, very slowly, but I was moving when others weren't.
  • Options
    Yeah, I kinda figured that. When you are referring to a 4x4, you are actually going in 4x2. When you are referring to a 4x2, you are actually going in 4x1.

Any of you offroad? Off-roading sounds and looks fun, but I think it's a bit dangerous. I would like to try someday, but I wouldn't know where to go...

The thing I don't understand about diffs, is that, why is all the engine's torque wasted on the one wheel without traction?
  • Options
    vin_weaselvin_weasel Member Posts: 237
    Well, I offroad and its a lot of fun. My problem is finding a group of people to go with. However, I've been making some contacts and hope to organize some actual runs this spring/summer.

As for 4x1, until there is slip from one of the wheels, a differential seems to split the torque 50/50 per side. If it didn't you would experience some interesting torque effects every time you stepped on the pedal as one wheel would power everything.
  • Options
    "torque effects"

Torque Steer. I know all about it. But you did understand what I meant, by what I said, right?

My mother says that off-roading makes no sense, and she doesn't see the fun in it. I see it, and can't wait until the day I find a trail...
  • Options
    sandyboysandyboy Member Posts: 114
    Off Roading around these parts (N.J.) to many women means driving in the mall parking lot. Rough Terrain means climbing the speed bumps IN the mall parking lot. I know one who bought a new Escape & had the super big front grille guard & brush guards installed. She told me that she uses it in the supermarket to "push" carriages out of the way, when people leave them in the space she wants. I asked her if those carriages don't roll into other people's cars & damge them. She said, "No, she doesn't push them THAT hard" ! (Some People)!!!
  • Options
    awaughawaugh Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking for a '90s Cherokee Limited (I esp. like the Navy Club model) Every one I've looked at so far has a single folding rear seat. Was a split rear seat available as an option? If not, is there an after market Split rear seat available? Has anyone modified an existing seat to split?
    Currently I drive a '98 Alfa 156: with a wife, 2 kids and a dog, going skiing here in the Swiss Alps means that she goes on the train with the kids and I go with the dog and the luggage. The 2.5 on the back of the alfa does mean liters, but actually luggage space, not displacement. (No, you can't put a skibox on the roof of an alfa, there are some things one just does not do!)

Regards

Andrew Waugh

Zürich, Switzerland
  • Options
    No....No Cherokee (1984-2001) ever came with, or offerred a split back rear seat, nor was it a factory option. I have never seen or heard of one installed as an aftermarket accessory, either. By the way, What is the Navy Club Model? We didn't have THAT in the states!
    Concerning the ALFA.....They pulled out of the USA after model year 1995. The last product was the 164 Seden. I really liked them! I put a deposit down to get me one,the way I wanted it, and no dealer could. I waited for 4 months, and wound up ordering a 1996 Cadillac instead. The current Alfa I have seen in pictures, but there are none here, allthough we still have some dealers, doing service work and putting mint used Alfas in the showroom, one or two at a time. I miss them. Great cars! My order was for a 1995 (final Yr. in States) Bright Red 164 Quadrifoglio, 230 HP 5-Speed. I wound up with a Caddy Fleetwood 260 HP Automatic. HUGE TRUNK
  • Options
    Well in Australia I've heard that due to rear seat headrest laws the Cherokee actually had the Grand Cherokee rear seats installed. I don't know how easily they would mount but I would love a split seat.
  • Options
    I have photos of that! They are NOT Grand Cherokee seats! They are Cherokee seats WITH rear headrests! I have frequently wonder if the receptical is mounted in MY Cherokee's rear seat to accept such. I'd love to install them! The Gr. Ch. seat width is too great & the rear doors would not close, nor would the seats be able to fold, without moving the 2 front buckets all the way forward, and few would be able to drive in that posistion!
  • Options
    Sandy Boy: The Navy Club is a trim package, only in Blue with Tan Leather and one or two other small differences - I presume that the model is not specific to Switzerland because it is a landlocked nation (Our navy consists of zodiacs on the upper reaches of the Rhine). The Alfas are great cars, they are very cheap, perform well and the newer ones are even reliable - I'm Canadian born so when I moved here I wanted something with enough power that I could feel comfortable overtaking in the mountains with my "flatlander" brain. We started with a 2 seater GTV 2.5l, changed to the 75 and then to the 156. The 156 is a FWD, but even still, oodles of power, 6 speed box, and a sporty suspension make a car that you can really push when you want to, but which isn't demanding to drive (like the 75 was).
    Anyway, back to the topic. I can't imagine that the floorpan would be modified for Australia only, so show me the photos. What other jeep could they be from?
  • Options
    Regular Cherokee (USA/CDN) rear seats, with a built-in recepticle in the top of the rear seat backs, to accept the steel rod of the rear seat headrests. From looking at it, I'd say the headrests had to be removed, in order to fold down the rear seat-back. I'll search for the photos I saw a long time ago (2001).
    Besides the Navy Blue & Tan leather, what were the other small alterations on the Navy Club?
  • Options
    Sandyboy: Sorry, I completely misread the responses to my original post. Call it a combination of too long away from the English language, and wanting a split rear seat too bad.

Now that you ask, I'm not too certain exactly what is different, 4 spd automatic, rear windscreen wiper, tinted glass, Leather, Electric seats and windows, ABS, wood dash, squib and doorstrips, Cruise control, tach, airconditioning. Have you seen the site from Australia where the guy changes the rear drums to discs? Have a look at: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you refresh the page after posting, without going somewhere else on the site first, your message will be posted again. And again :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Hey, what part of Canada are you from?

The web site you quoted is Marcus Ohms, a truly amazing guy. He was the one I thought who mentioned the difference in seats in Australia. You might want to email him to ask but I think he is in Tasmania on a holiday. He posts on JU sometimes and on the XJ-List.
  • Options
    Steve, I kinda wondered what happened. Were you online when it happened, because the 2nd post disappeared within about 10 minutes?

vin_weasel (Does that stand for "vinnie the weasel" or "Vehicle Identification Number Weasel"?) I grew up in Toronto (Etobicoke, where I attended Martingrove), and went to University in Windsor Ontario. I've already emailed Marcus.
  • Options
    Actually, I just made it up after watching Pitch Black.
  • Options
    Awaugh, I just happened to be here when you were refreshing. I think I swatted 4 or 5 of your duplicates. Housekeeping duties, you know :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Just had an answer from Marcus Ohms in Australia. The Aussies have headrests, but no split rear seat. Even a thru squib for skis would be nice. I guess I need to reevaluate the decision Grand Cherokee vs Cherokee. Anyone out there own both?
    For one thing I don't like the shape of the Grand as much, and here in tiny little Switzerland I tend to think that finding a parking spot is easier with the smaller of the 2 cars.
    So, lets hear your epinions... Am I overestimating the importance/usefulness of a split rear seat? My original target car was a 91-93 Cherokee Limited.
  • Options
    The split rear seat is only necessary if you regularly haul passengers and long cargo at the same time. My in-laws have a grand which I've driven a lot and there are obvious trade-offs both ways. IMHO the Cherokee feels quicker, lighter on it's feet, and much stiffer. The grand rides nicer, quieter, etc. I would think a good quality locking ski rack for the roof would be better either way. I can manuever the cherokee around as easy as many small cars, maybe better in some cases. I think it's shorter than my VW Jetta (Bora in Europe), very close if not.
  • Options
    I could have used a split seat this weekend. Somehow we managed to fit 4 adults and 3 pairs of cross-country skiis inside the Jeep. Time for a roof rack.

gmlover, I'd check the linkage first before anything else. Has the fluid been changed recently? Is it popping out of 4-High to 2wd or out of 4-Low? Any noises?
  • Options
    What type of fluid does it take? My gues is ATF, but I'm probably wrong...I'll need to know, since when I get my Jeep, I'm changing ALL FLUIDS, and changing over to synthetic. (I've heard good things about it, but if you warn me about bad things, then I won't do it)
  • Options
    Check you owner's manual to be sure.

What year is the Jeep? If it has lots of miles then watch out for some initial oil leaks as the synth wears away the old built up gunk around the seals and gaskets. Most people don't have problems, though.

BTW, if you have an automatic, don't bother using synthetic fluid in the transmission. The AW4 apparently likes the normal stuff better.

After my 2nd oil change I went to Mobil 1 in the engine and I'm running synth 80w-90 in the diffs and normal ATF in tranny and t-case.
  • Options
    But he will! I am writing a list, you know, of things to do when it's Jeep day! So, Dino Oil in the Transfer Case, and Synth in the rest?
  • Options
    Just the tranny should get dino oil. Synthetic in the Transfer case is fine.
  • Options
    jimsxnjimsxn Member Posts: 108
    ...Cherokee was rated as the best vehicle for snow driving by C&D. But tell me this, if you should not drive in 4WD in rain and thin snow - and you are driving on rear wheels in 2WD, how can Cherokee be better than even the basic FWD vehicle?

Is this an argument in favor of Selec-Trac? How do you guys cope?
  • Options
    Selec-trac is one solution to this "problem".

I have no problem running 2wd in the rain, hydroplaning is a tire issue and most FWD's provide too much confindence IMHO. I see a lot more FWD cars spin out in the rain simply because when the tires do cut loose, it's bad. I've had a Chevy Cavalier pass me and spin-out right in front of me on the highway. Just recently in my area, a lady hydroplaned her car and was killed by going head-on into a truck. When a RWD hydroplanes it doesn't usually effect the steering and you get some warning that you're going too fast. Most small FWD cars I've owned/driven tend to hydroplane easily. My Jetta and Camrys all had no problems, but some others were quite bad.

As for thin snow, usually I've found no need to be in 4X4. If the road is not slippery (which part-time requires) then what's the point? I'll have my Jeep in 2wd driving through very deep snow in many cases. If I find I need 4X4 I'll throw it in and take it back out when I don't need it. Selec-trac is good for those situations where it goes from snow to dry to snow etc. but I don't usually see a need for 4X4 in those cases. Selec-trac is great if you don't want to think about it. I bought this as a long-term vehicle (my '01 has over 60K miles now) so I wanted it as simple as possible.
  • Options
    It makes no sense how people drive in 4x4 Part Time ALL THE TIME. I have an aunt, who drives a 4x4 Durango, and as soon as she sees a snowflake, she turns that switch. What she doesn't know (Probably does know, but ignores it) is that you are not supposed to use it on dry pavement. (And at the time, the pavement was dry)

As for rain, there's no need to use the 4x4. Rain is just water, and if you slip, buy some new tires. I hate driving FWD cars in rain, as previously said, they spin out, and sometimes for no reason, and rarely without warning. This brings up a question:

How are you to recover from a spin in RWD?
    How are you to recover from a spin in FWD?

I was told a couple things in Driver's Ed, and from my parents, but I don't understand which to do with each drivetrain. Some have said to let loose the gas, and the steering wheel, don't brake and just sit there, and let the car recover itself. Others have said to Power Out of the spin (I found this works best in RWD), while turning in the direction of the spin. What way is the correct way?
  • Options
    on the kind of spin. I've drifted my FWD Jetta too far to the point it started fish-tailing at which point you can just get on the gas hard and pull out of it. The problem if you hydroplane in a FWD is the front tends to just turn sideways on you and usually you'll go all the way around very quickly. With a RWD when you hydroplane on wet surfaces you'll usually fish-tail which is farily easy to recover from. A combination of steering and throttle inputs will get you back straight pretty easy. On icy/snow surfaces where traction is very low the throttle doesn't do much good so just get off of it and try to steer out. If you're just driving fast with a RWD and you're drifting the tail you can usually keep steady on the gas and steer out and zip right around the turn. Practice is key, preferably on a track.
  • Options
    I agree with everything you've said. When I've gotten into a slide in a FWD car, you pretty much have to hope that you'll get steering control back by laying off the gas. RWD is so much more fun as you can control a slide. However the point at which you start doing circles can be hard to determine. I've done a 720 before hitting the ditch in a RWD vehicle but only about a 90 to 120 degree slide in a FWD. I actually find the FWD scarier because you almost always end up sliding sideways.

Haven't had any problems in the Jeep after I got used to driving a RWD vehicle again. The only real suprise I got was when both tires spun out on me around a wet corner when the vehicle was brand new and the LSD was still tight.
  • Options
    the FWD is scary when it hydroplanes. I've witnessed two people with FWD hydroplane after passing me on the interstate. One did it so close I burned some serious life off my pads. In both cases the car just did an almost imediate 90 sideways and then slid around about 220 and hit the trunk corner into the guardrail. The other went 90 and then turned 180 just as it hit the guardrail. The person that was killed recently her car went 90 and a truck was coming in the other direction and t-boned her and killed the passenger. Seems to mainly be smaller cars, at least that's all I've witnessed. I've driven small rental cars (neon, corolla) in the rain and wasn't overly impressed.
  • Options
    dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    How many places are there to grease of my '99 Cherokee 4WD Sport? I found 7.
    Upper ball joints (2)
    Tie rods ends (2)
    Steering link (2)
    Front drive shaft (1)
  • Options
    snorskasnorska Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2000 Classic with the Selec-Trac transfer case and 38,000KM.

Yesterday, I took the Jeep to the dealership for regular maintenance.
    I have noticed that the owner's manual recommends the following fluids:

Transmission - Mopar Automatic Transmission fluid or equivalent labeled Dexron II or Mercon

Transfer Case - Mopar Automatic Transmission fluid or equivalent labeled Dexron III or Mercon

According to the invoice they put Dexron II in the tranfer case.
    Will this hurt the transfer case?
    Any thoughts on that?
  • Options
    It's probably just a "typo" or description left in the computer. I don't think they even make Dexron II anymore. II
  • Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    I would call the dealer to check just in case. If they did in fact put in Dexron II, make them come pick it up and tow it back for service. It may not actually harm the transfer case, but it is better to be safe than sorry. Also, make sure they flush it before they refill it if they put the II in.
  • Options
    mhall02mhall02 Member Posts: 38
    I couldn't find Dexron II anywhere, so I put QS Dexron III Mercon in both the transfer case and tranny at the recommended timeframes (twice now) with no problems after 63,000 miles on my 2000 Sport.
  • Options
    I have checked with the service advisor at the dealership to verify what fluid I have now in the transfer case.
    I have been told that I have Dexron II, and it is a better fluid than Dexron III because it has more additives.
    The service advisor has a '98 Sport, and he checked the work order for his vehicle to find out the fluid types used in the transfer case and transmission.
    He told me that he has Dexron II in both.
    I plan to call Chrysler to find out if this is right
  • Options
    shakalopakashakalopaka Member Posts: 1
    I have been experiencing a rumbling noise while my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic is cold and I am in drive with foot on the brake at a stoplight. If I shift into neutral or park the noise goes away. After vehicle is driven 25 minutes or so the noise is barely noticeable, but is still there. Anyone have this problem with their Cherokee and know of a fix? thanks!
  • Options
    the exhaust rubbing somewhere near the tranny. Where is it coming from? If it is near the transfer case shifter, there is a TSB out to repair the linkage. I've had that rattle on mine but only for a minute a couple of times.
  • Options
    fvpfvp Member Posts: 147
    Can anyone suggest where I can go to keep updated on the latest TSB's for our 01 Cherokee Sport?
    Thanks
  • Options
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide, alldata.com, www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ ...

Steve, Host
  • Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    We had 4 inches of snow today in the Triangle (NC). The Cherokee with Selec-trac continues to amaze me at how well it does in the snow. In shallow snow like this I find Full-Time 4WD is the best. In 10"+ Part-Time 4WD seems to be better at keeping traction. Anyway, just wanted to say that today I am very glad to have a Jeep.
  • Options
    I have asked Chrysler about transmission and transfer case fluids, and I have been told that a dealership can help me to get the right answer.
    I read post 1009, by vin_weasel, and I realized that he is running the same kind of fluid in the transmission and transfer case.
    So I guess the dealership is right; DEXRON II will not hurt the transfer case.
  • Options
    I too own a 2000 Classic, and I have noticed a rattling noise that seems to come from the back of the vehicle.

It happens when it is cold outside, and after driving for about 20-30 min. the noise seems to disappear.
    The noise is noticeable only when the vehicle is not moving, for example like stopping at a traffic light.
    The transmission will be engaged in drive and with the foot brake applied, the noise will be there for sure.

I have asked Chrysler about a TSB on this, and I have been told to check with the dealership.
    So, I will check at the next oil change.
    It is not a big deal, but my warranty runs out in March, and I do not think that they will fix it for free after that time.
  • Options
    spin_doctorspin_doctor Member Posts: 10
    hello all!

i'm looking at a used jeep: 4dr, 4x4, auto, I6 4.0l engine

i'll admit i only made it through the first 20 pages of this forum, but i couldn't find any info on the '89s.

anyone have any experience with 'em?

i've been told to examine the air filter for oil from improper seals in the engine. . .is this true?

any words of advice on this model year would be appreciated. . .
  • Options
    The 89 Cherokee would have the non-HO engine (about 170 hp instead of 190 but apparently more low-end torque), it'll have a vacuum-disconnect front axle if it has Command-trac which can develop problems.

The oil in the airfilter problem is commonly referred to as "blow by" do a google search on "cherokee blow by" and you should get lots of information. There are solutions out there and most of them are inexpensive.

If you're really lucky you might have the stronger Dana 44 axle in the rear.

If you want more info do a google search on 87-89 cherokees as well as jeepsunlimited.

Oh, it also has a closed cooling system with a pressure bottle that has problems as well. There are cheap swaps available to change it to the open system which was offered starting in 91-92.
  • Options
    design786design786 Member Posts: 14
    I have a 97 Jeep Cheorkee sport with 145,000 miles on it. On my last trip to the dealer, I was told to replace my shocks and struts. Any advice on which after market shocks work best for the Jeep. Also do struts really need replacement on my Jeep.