Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Aveo Engine Problems

theflyguytheflyguy Posts: 3
edited April 4 in Chevrolet
While driving home from work yesterday, I heard a knocking noise coming from my engine. I was just pulling into my parking lot and shut it down. Found no oil on the dipstick. Had it towed to the dealer, appears front crankshaft seal failed. Did I mention its a 2007 Aveo5 with just 11k on it. Dealer will not replace engine, they are going to repace the crankshaft, and bearings.

Comments

• I Have a '07 Aveo with 7500 miles I have changed the oil twice since i bought it and at the second time i noticed some oil had been leaking from the filter seal. So when i put on the new filter i made sure to tighten it a lil extra. that was at around 4000 miles. this past week i noticed some smoke coming from the hood and it was oil leaking again and dripping on the manifold pipe. and it ran for about 5 minutes yesterday parked in one place and when i backed up there was a puddle. i rechecked the filter and its tight. Ive been changing my own oil for 12 years and never had a problem with a filter leaking. Has anyone else had this problem? When i changed the oil the first time i had to use a pair of channel locks to loosen the factory installed filter thats was rediculus but is it nesisary?
  • I've had this problem on other vehicles caused by the rubber gasket from the old filter sticking to the engine block. Then you can't get a good seal. You said how hard it was to remove the original filter. Maybe the old gasket is stuck to the block.
  • flaaveoflaaveo Posts: 161
    I change my own oil and filter as well. Always have on every car/truck I ever owned! That first time I changed my filter I had to bang a long screwdriver through the filter and twist for 45 mins to get the damn thing off!! Good to know I am not the only one with that problem. It was on that tight. Personally, if I had this kind of leak, I would go to your dealer and find out if the area where the filter comes in contact with the block is straight and even. MAYBE when you changed it the first time you accidently made it uneven, since you had a hard time getting it off. I assume it is the same tiny engine as my 2006?
    It is under warranty...might as well find out if you damaged it by accident, or if there is a factory problem. Maybe the engine block wasn't cast perfect and that first filter was on so tight to cover up their own mistake! Not that they will admit to it. BUT you can get a good look at the area and see for yourself. I assume you did check the oil drain plug of course? That has to be TIGHT,and I have been told or read in my owners manual that there is some kind of 'sleeve' in there that has to be replaced, but not till like 50k miles or something like that. Maybe you pulled out this sleeve and the plug is the cause of the leak? Let us know.
    Well I'll stir the pot here. I just changed my oil and filter...used Mobil 1 5W-30 Synthetic and a Fram filter. Cost me $28. Got the oil on sale,by luck! ONLY $5.50 a quart!. Mine takes 4.5 quarts...even though the manual says it is suppose to take UNDER 4 quarts even with the filter changed to. Anyway. I do all city driving as you know, and had 1,950 miles on it between the last oil change and this one,also 4.5 months. Do you all go by mileage,time,or a combonation of both? Since I never get on the highway, it is considered 'severe driving' by the owners manual. So it says 3 months or 3,000 miles. Well it was over 4 months, but well UNDER 3,000 miles. So I never know if I am wasting money by changing it so much, especially with synthetic oil, or if as I always say..'it is cheap insurance to change it frequently to protect the engine'.I know oil builds up acids and carbon deposits in the oil when you drive. Thus the reason you have to change it. The cleaner the oil, the better the condition the engine stays in. So I was at 4.5 months...but only 1,950 miles. And synthetic oil is suppose to last MUCH longer between changes. Since it doesn't leak any oil,and doesn't burn any oil...I am wondering if I am being TO careful?? What is everyone else doing? :confuse:
  • randydriverrandydriver Posts: 262
    I think you are being a wee bit overcautious....I change mine at about 5000-7500....and the oil looks okey.
  • barbdrbarbdr Posts: 1
    I had this issue as well; apparently it must be an oil filter from the dealership, because it has a gasket that needs to be changed each time. I bought mine new, and just took it in with an oil leak issue, and had previously had the oil changed at an oil changing facility, and because they didn’t use the correct filter it developed a leak.
    Sorry. But I didnt mention anything about an oil leak. I know a gasket comes off with every filter. I have never had a gasket NOT come off. I just always do my own oil changes...that way i know what is in my engine. But the factory filter was put on my some super strong robot. It took me hours to get the first filter off. I was just asking about peoples oil change routine/time.
    So....did you get it fixed and is it working now? Or has more happened? Is it a manual or automatic transmission car? Did you have the oil changed just before that happened? Maybe someone didn't do the job right? And all the oil leaked out and caused the seal to fail? Or they didn't even put any oil in...wouldn't be the first time that has happened to someone. Would that cause that to happen?
  • junker1junker1 Posts: 1
    2004 now with 42000 miles on it. This started with about 32000 miles on the car. Radley Chevrolet replaced the top end and the valves per the factory. 1 hour after leaving its back with the same problem and error code. now they replace the catalytic converter.
    months go by and then wammy its back again. now they say the code was caused by a blown fuse. a week or 2 later , Hello there we are back once again. The same error code again. This time they keep it for a week before they decide Ohh can we give you a rental vehicle ? This is 4pm on a friday night. it was more trouble than it was worth. BAM last night less than a week later it has started bucking but with no error code as of yet and it is a weekend.

what a piece of crap ! ! ! ! ! !
    OH believe me I have much harsher words to say.
  • theflyguytheflyguy Posts: 3
    After 3 weeks in the shop, the car has so far preformed ok. It seems that the oil pump failed per the mechanic at the dealership, when it did so it made enough metal that the seal was cut. Reason for the long delay in the dealership was first they replaced the crankshaft and bearings, that did not fix the problem, as the head and cams got trashed with oil starvation. So they replaced the head, cams, etc. Funny thing or not so funny, when I inquired about it being cheaper to install a new long block, they advised could not get one, this for a car thats been out 4 or 5 years. go figure. Oh its a manual trans, I forgot you had asked. Anyway do not trust it, going to dump it before warranty expires.Oh here,s the biggy, the idiot light never came on when it lost oil pressure and started knocking.
  • randydriverrandydriver Posts: 262
    The idiot like didnt come on.....doesnt it have an oil pressure gage?
  • theflyguytheflyguy Posts: 3
    Does not have a pressure guage on the Aveo5. Still running fine since repairs, speaks well for the dealership. I am a long time Chevy guy, still going to dump it and go more mainstream. Funny thing is I commute back and forth between Seattle and Northern Idaho, driving 75mph it gets about 32mpg. While it was in the shop I had a Malibu loaner. Drove it back and forth twice, guess what nice smooth ride 32 mpg at 75. No jarring, swaying in the wind, horrible whistling noise when driving in windy conditions. Might be my next car.
  • joesaveojoesaveo Posts: 1
    does anyone know how to set the timing on my 04 aveo 1.6
    i see the marks on the gears how do you put them when puting on the belt :confuse:
    Seems I am back to MY same problem. I can tell everyone else when to change their oil,but not my own. While i am following the 'severe oil use changing' schedule, I still don't know if I am wasting my money or not!
    I have only put on 1,575 miles on the car in 4 months. When I changed it, I used 100% synthetic oil and high quality filter. Do I change it now,even though the oil is suppose to last for nearly 7,000 miles. Or go by the amount of time, and that says to change it at 3 months, since the oil is creating acids and other by products,and that is the reason to change the oil in the first place.

Obviously I have a lot of miles to go with the synthetic oil,but it is now at 4 months,going on 5. Should I change it or get the use out of the synthetic oil and use it for at least a few more thousand miles? BUT it will take many more months to rack up a few more thousand miles
    up to maybe 8 months. Is that to long in time to wait..or is the oil protecting the engine from the acid and by products? I just cant figure out which to go by, time or mileage..IF I use synthetic oil...and I do and will continue to when I change it. Any input? :confuse:
  • ilaveoilaveo Posts: 26
    I've never used synthetic oil so I can't really tell you how it will hold up. I use a 5K interval on our cars because that seems to be about when the oil starts to look, feel, and smell different. If I were you, after the recommended time interval I would be sure to check the oil carefully after every tankful of gas and watch for changes in the look, feel and smell of the oil. I doubt that you need that oil change yet, but you should keep a close eye on it now since you don't know how long you can go.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Those factory filters are always put on super tight for some reason. If I am not mistaken you have pretty good access to your filter, where I have worked on other new vehicles and couldn't get a good grip to break it loose and ended up pounding a screw driver through it in order to get enough leverage. If you have changed the oil for the first time than you should be ready to switch over to synthetic. If you use the severe driving schedule maintenance, I would probably stick to 5,000 miles or so, but I may last longer. I would check the oil manufactures website and maybe ask your local dealer. A lot of new cars, mainly GM, have that oil monitoring system that lets you know when it needs to be changed. Those systems with just regular oil usually last at least 7,000 miles before the light comes on. The choice is up to you. I have never used synthetic and prefer regular dino oil. When you say high quality filter do you mean AC/Delco? I would definitely not recommend Fram because they are not built as good, and the internals tend to deteriorate leading to possible clogged filter. I have seen some ratings and for Fram they are not good.
    Yes. I use Fram. I always have. For over 25 years of changing my own oil and filters. And the synthetic gives me 1-2 mpg more than regular oil. So do the Bosch Plus 4 spark plugs. Or I would be back at 15mpg all the time! I had to get the FIRST factory filter off by punching a screwdriver threw it to get it off it was on so tight! The robot that day must have been on super strong when it installed it.!!

I wish I had the monitoring system,but our little Aveos dont have that expensive option in them. Guess I'll go another 1,000 miles...and then change it..Maybe like 2 times a years. I drive so little this time of year,till October, I will be lucky if I put 500 miles on it by October.
    So I will just change the oil and filter at the end of next month,and go six months from there.

Just wondering. Has anyone had their GM dealer change their oil and filter? I have a coupon to get a free oil and filter change and body lube...what they can lube is beyond me..but ,has anyone had this done,did they do a good job? Did you end up with oil leaks? How long did it take to get it done?
    I WAS going to do it yesterday...but after waiting over an hour for them to open up,I had another hour to go..I got bored and gave up! So I left. But has anyone gone through a GM oil change,and what was your outcome?
  • nordy200nordy200 Posts: 14
    For your mileage I would recommend only a one a year oil change. One thing I would strongly recommend however is to take the car out for a long drive once in a while so that the oil gets good and hot and boils out the accumulated moisture in the sump. That water can form some bad compounds in the oil if it sticks around, even in small amounts.
    On filter changing-be sure to coat the gasket with clean engine oil before you twist the new filter on. It is generally recommended to only hand tighten a new filter, or to turn the filter about 1/4 to 1/2 turn after it first contacts the mounting base.
    Good advise on the oil filter. I'm sure flaaveo knows about coating the gasket, but I have known people who didn't with near disastrous results. Yes 1/4-1/2 is about it after you hand tightened to the max.
    Not wanting to start an argument with you, but AC/Delco and Wix brand filters are the best quality money can buy. I am glad you haven't had any problems with the Frams, but the internal valve bodies and materials are inferior to the others. I wish I still had the test results that I read about last year which tested 5 or 6 brands.

On a related issue, K&N filters are bad for your engine. I have used a K&N in my truck for over 10-years, and also have one in my Honda dirt bike, but tests have shown that they don't trap as much dirt/sand as a standard air filter, but they do provide slightly better air flow. I will likely go with a standard paper filter in my next car. Also Split Fire spark plugs are a waste of money. I used to use them years ago but didn't see any difference whats-so-ever other than less money in my pocket.