Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Outlook Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    I'm sorry to read that you had to have the rack and pinion assembly replaced twice, slickrick1735. How has everything been running since the most recent repair?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I am having the same issue with acceleration. I havent even started on this quest just yet. This vehicle has been nothing but trouble since about a month after I owned it. It spent more time at the dealership than with me the first year. After reading all of this I think I need to cry. I really hate this vehicle. Heading to the Better Business Bureau. Atleast they will listen other that hand me a bill then I'm actually going to have to figure out what I'm going to do about this :lemon:
  • bgin2lovebgin2love Posts: 2
    I have had my Saturn Outlook 2007 since 2010. I have had leaking of the roof since 6 months of the purchase. My transmission went! I had to replace my head lights 7 times beofre the recall came in! not to mention the tickets from the Police reminding me tha the light I just fixed NOLONGER is working a day or two later! (3) tickets! Not my power steering is messed up! what the hell is going on? I have a 5 year maint plan with my chevy dealer. I get my oil changed ON TIME! my tires are rotated regularly.. Have my tune-ups on time. what more am I to do. Are all these lemons??? so want to get rid of this vehicle. and I brought it cash... book value stinks!! GM pls help ME!!!! My car still leaks and chevolet of New Rochelle in NY says I have to pay 250 just to look at where the leak is coming from, when they know there is a problem with ALL these vehicles. Plus my power steering is an issue OUT OF THE BLUE!!!!!
  • onefunkaronefunkar Posts: 113
    i bought a new 08 outlook in july 2007. had it for 2 and a half years. 41k miles. i was getting power steering leak, engine sludge problem which leads to timing chains needing to be replaced (huge job), transmission leaking. i worked at the dealer and could see they were not good vehicles. traded for a 2011 sorento in march 2010. 2 and a half years later no problems at all with it. very unfortunate as the outlook is a nice vehicle just too many problems.
  • onefunkaronefunkar Posts: 113
    also had the headlight problam and luckily didnt have a sunroof. they look nice but leak and i dont think they can be fixed. they just leak.
  • I bought this car certified used in Sept. 2011 from a dealership with less than 34000 miles on it. Now the trough or channel in front inside where the sunroof is mounted is filling with water. It overflows into the headliner, runs down the windshield and drips in to the dashboard and floor. The dealership offer to leak test it for $105. I see there is a bulletin for a VIN range that my vehicle does not fall within. The repair is for replacment of drain tubes. Other forums have owners complaining that the fix doesn't work. NHTSA has 16 cases of this for just this model year. Does anyone have more recent info on this? I hate to pay for a problem caused by poor engineering.
  • msgranmsgran Posts: 3
    My daughter bought a used 2008 Saturn Outlook from the dealership just before they left for Hawaii. They are in the Army. They have been having a world of problems with the battery since they got there. First thing was their external temp kept showing 130-140 degrees (not likely) and their fans were running when the car was off. They were told to replace the temp gauge that is located in the front. Did that. Still happening. Next they were having to be jumped off all the time. Were told it was a bad battery....replaced the battery. Still happening. Now, the car completely dies and they are getting a message that the battery charging system needs attention. I'm sorry, but they are in the army. They have no money to continue taking this car in only to have the same thing keep happening. My daughter's husband is fixing to be deployed over seas AGAIN, and she has 2 small children. She can't be stranded somewhere with these babies. This CANNOT CONTINUE. She has no one there to help her. Any ideas?????
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    Is this work being done at one of our dealerships out in Hawaii? If so, and if you daughter would like for us to look into this further, please have her send the following information to us at socialmedia@gm.com: her name, address and phone, the last 8 digits of the vehicle's VIN and current mileage, and the name of her involved dealership.

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • kmanzikmanzi Posts: 7
    I have a 2008 Outlook with 51k, which I really love, but unfortunately has given me so many problems. I have been reading these message boards for years, and I have found so much good information on them. I've finally decided to join in on this discussion so I can share my experiences and hopefully help others with similar problems. I have created a spreadsheet with every single fix or maintenance performed on the car, with mileage, date, service notes and grouped by category to I can quickly see the repeat issues that arise. I have also been tracking my fuel consumption for the last 6 months accurately, because I am nearly going broke filling the tank up 2x a week. The results are pretty shocking...read on.

The following list is in date order of everything that has been replaced in my car, most covered under warranty or recall, but this is a long list to have these things fixed. With no warranty, I had to pay for the power steering pump that went driving on the highway. So far, the following have been replaced: Sensor Camshaft, Cylinder Head Gasket,Dead Battery, Windshield Wiper Motor, Transmission Software Update (after multiple complaints),Airbag Wire Harness, Power Steering Rack & Gear, Front Pads and Rotors (1st time), Gasket for Intake Manifold, Gasket for Rear Valve Cover, Right Front Strut, Both Strut Mounts, Engine Mounts,Front Pads and Rotors (2nd time), Left Front Stabilizer Link, Front Pads and Rotors (3rd Time), Headlight Harness, Airbag Connector Kit, Engine Front Cover Crank Seal, Timing Cover Seal, Broken Bolts in Cylinder Head & Valve Cover, Exhaust Stud Broken Bolts, Power Steering Pump, Hose & Clamp.

More interesting is the fuel economy I have accurately documented, resulting in the finding out I get an estimated average of 11.85 MPG combined City/HWY AFTER the Transmission Software and Calibration Update was made in 2009 (orig.released on May 2008). For tracking data, I used a 6 month period from January - June 2012. (For those who don't know, the original transmission software had a hesitation when accelerating (providing a flat spot b/w 35-50 mpg). GM will not advertise this update, you must ask for it and be firm. However, the negative impact will be the fuel economy, which obviously GM did not research properly. A GM service rep told me that the software is an "option" and I should be glad to hear they offer that "option", my sales person should have review all of my options such as engine size, etc. It is a trade off between performance and fuel economy and if I wanted performance I should have bough a sports car. I responded, and quickly corrected him to say, no this is not an option, it is a manufacturers defect and I want it fixed. Here are the results of my findings...believe me, this took time to pull it all together, but it is accurate: Average MPG is 11.85 Combined City/Hwy from Jan - June 2012
    Lowest MPG Recorded was 8.90, Highest MPG Recorded was 14.80
    Total Miles from January - June 2012 is 6330 miles, using 587 gallons at an expense of $2170.
    • TOTAL Cost of Excess Fuel Consumption Due to Software Update Since 2009: $5069.00
    • TOTAL Cost of Excess Fuel Consumption Due to Software Update This Year : $768
    Monthly unnecessary expense for gas is ~$152.00, that is a lot of extra money to spend each month that doesn't have to be wasted.
    So I am in limbo until I get a response based on my data I provided (with back up documentation)....I guess we will see how this ends up....

Currently, GM has offered $3k towards a new GM vehicle, but to be honest, I cannot afford a new GM car right now, I am still paying off my excessive gas bill. $3k towards a new car really doesnt go too far. I have already contacted the National Highway Safety Admin, Better Business Bureau, and next steps are CT Attorney General, Possible EPA and perhaps small claims court for the $5000 refunded to me from gas.

Average Tank Filled was 18.3 gallons, which got about 204 miles for an estimated cost of $68.00
  • travis49travis49 Posts: 1
    I believe my 2008 Saturn Outlook is having timing chain problems. When I accelerate,I hear a loud clicking noise. Any thoughts?

Also, does anyone know if there are GM authorized service centers in Germany? I'm in the Army and was just stationed here.

Thanks!
  • My 2008 Outlook A/C stopped working after months of hissing noises aourn 60k miles. Dealer added died coolant to find leak. Turns out two hoses were rubbing together causing a hole over time. For some reason, the $1,500 repair of this obvious design flaw is on me. The A/C worked after the fix for two weeks. It then began hissing again and two weeks later stopped working. In the shop now but I expect another large bill. A car with 65k miles should have no repair bills other than brakes and oil changes. Does anyone know where to address complaints to GM other than my dealer?
  • Dealer called: evaporator core is now bad. Another $1,250 to fix for a total over $2,700. Although they offered to pay for the part/core, not the labor, so I would save $300. So my GM SUV has hoses that were designed so poorly they rubed together causing a hole and all the coolant to leak out multiple times and then the evaporator goes bad in the same A/C system. I am sure there is no connection with the two issues. I still need someone at GM whom I can complain to. There is absolutely no excuse for the entire A/C system of a car going bad before 70k miles. We also live in New England so it's only used half the time.
  • If you wanted for us to look into this further, mstuart2, we can be contacted at socialmedia@gm.com (to set up a case, please include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • I look forward to hearing from you/GM. I sent along the informaiton on Tuesday. Thanks for your help.
  • Very good! My coworker Christina, who answers inbound emails from the forum, should be in touch with you soon!
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • pebs4pebs4 Posts: 3
    gm is doing nothing with my situation where i had to get a new transmission on a 2008 outlook with 40k and since i didnt take it to a gm dealer, they wont reimburse me. customer service reads off a sheet of paper of what they have to tell you. they need to be sued! saturns closed and they are taking advantage of this, leaving us customers with problems.
    YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS......
    When they bought the car, the battery that was installed evidently was not the CORRECT SIZE. How were they to know this wasn't the original battery or that the one that was in there wasn't the correct size. Anyway, this was the problem all along....the battery wasn't strong enough and therefore kept being drained. Who knew! Thank GOD it was just a simple and pretty inexpensive fix. But the headaches trying to find the problem were horrible.
    Just so anyone else will know....check the battery and make sure it's the correct size(strength) or whatever it is you check on a battery!
  • kyra4kyra4 Posts: 3
    Hi I have a 07 outlook xr. the steering wheel makes noise when you turn, like rubber against rubber... any one else have this problem..need to fine out how to fix the problem?
    any one else have this problem?

thanks
  • There are three methods you can use to contact the NHTSA if you suspect a safety-related defect in your vehicle. You can take any (or all) of the following actions:

Call the U.S. Department of Transportation's Vehicle Safety Hotline: (888) 327-4236 or (800) 424-9153, toll free from anywhere in the United States, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands
    Report the issue online at the NHTSA's vehicle safety Web site: http://www.safercar.gov/
    Send a letter via U.S. Mail: U.S. Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Office of Defects Investigation (NVS-210) 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE Washington, DC 20590
    OK, so the battery wasn't the underlying problem after all. Now, the darn thing is having to be jumped off EVERY TIME the car is shut off. Son in law going down the road in it the other day and ALL THE GAUGES QUIT WORKING. This vehicle has some electrical problems and IS A LEMON! They need to be reimbursed for this vehicle so they can get a reliable one. With 2 small children and living off the small military salary they get, this is not acceptable!