Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    Wow, looks like a busy Board today!! Everyone gives his or her two cents. Here is mine ...

The front grille of the 04 Max reminds me of my 84 Olds Cutlass Ciera. The Olds emblem was placed in the center of the grille, but the Max emblem is much bigger. I agree that the rear design the car may significantly limit visibility and raise safety concerns.

The new Bose stereo in the 04 Max has 320 watts of power, is that what the Q45 now have? I hope the new stereo is much better than the "premium" Bose in my 03 Max GLE which, IMHO, sucks in terms of audio quality.

I also agree that the trip computer is not very accurate and cannot be trusted. Since I do not drive that much, the actual mph is not really of great concerns to me. Do other cars have more accurate trip computers? What about the Q45 or G35, which are higher end Nissan products?
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I had 2 different loaner Passats, and their trip computers were off when calculating mileage as well.
  • Here were my figures: 455 total miles on 19.5 gallons. I guess it is off a fraction. I'm pleased so far.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    A few questions for the field:

1. The 2004 Maxima will be "Assembled for the first time in the United States at the award-winning Nissan North America Manufacturing Smyrna & Decherd Tennessee Plant". Who gave the "award" and does anybody know of an independent source for rating the quality of manufacturing plants? I hear all the PR about how wonderful Nissan's Tennessee plant is, but I'd like to see some objective facts to back it up. BMW, Mercedes and others have had horrific problems maintaining quality - especially with new models (Z3, ML320 respectively) - at their US plants. I've tried to check J.D. Powers website, but nothing on plant ratings comes up. Did Nissan award themselves a prize in Tennessee? Or can they actually match Japanese production and fit and finish quality.

2. Any info on the weight of the new Maxima? With marginal increase in power over the 2003, it seems as though acceleration will be a wash and handling might be a bit better, but not if the wieght is up and the balance is more front end biased.

3. 92drexel: You mentioned in previous posts about Nissan initially overestimating horsepower for the (255hp) 02/03 models. Personally, I thought the 222hp 00/01 was the worst offender of reported power that didn't translate into performace. Where Nissan stuffed the extra 32 hp over my 190 hp 1995 SE 5-speed I'll never know. In any event, I believe that the 2003 255hp 6-speed Maxima is already close to the limits of what can be done with a FWD setup. I also agree that for those who need an automatic, a 5-speed is better than a 4-speed, but the big problem with Nissan (and most other Japanese/US automatics) is hesitant acceleration and slow shifting. I'm not a drag racer, but I could never get in and out of traffic with a Nissan automatic the way I can with a manual. Try out a Mercedes E500 or, better yet, any AMG product. They do automatics right.
  • aftyafty Posts: 499
    Nissan's Smyrna plant has won the Harbour Award for most productive assembly plant in North America for the last 7 years running. You can read about it here:

http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/070205.html
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    My dealer told me that the engine and transmission in the new Maxima will continue to be built in Japan and shipped over here for final assembly.

He was pointing to content labels on an Altima at the time(less than 100% US origin). Can anyone else confirm this?

If true, this should help maintain quality initially at least in the critical components.

Now if we can get a dentist to take care of that giant tooth :-)
  • achadhaachadha Posts: 106
    JCW915,

my temperature gage seems to be working fine this morning driving in to work mine went down to 28f seems to be ok. I too am noticing alot of wind noise from the rear passenger windows. I have taken my car to a car wash once but had no problems with a leak. But maybe I did not notice because I had my cover over the sunroof. How much water usually leaks in? I was having trouble with my memory seats but figured out that the parking brake had to be up for it to work correctly :)
  • How much can one expect to pay to have a new key made. My dealer has charged me 82.00 dollars to reprogram my original key. While picking my car up at the dealers, I decided to try both keys. One worked one did not. They then said oh it must be the transponder in the key you will need a new key in the amount of 85.00. The problem originally happened because I changed the battery. The service advisor also said that it could not have happened just by changing the battery. Anyone know what the cost of key should be?
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    They can be quite expensive to have remade. They also have to be reprogrammed as well.
  • I have the same problem with my cds skipping. I'm thinking since I live in a cold-weather area and I leave the cds in overnight, that would probably be the cause of the skipping. No matter what, I can't see Nissan replacing a system for that reason...
  • 92drexel92drexel Posts: 153
    According to nissannews.com, the weight distribution of the '04 is a little better than the '03 (61%/39% front/rear versus 62/38). But the '04 weighs 200 lbs more (that's a lot of weight)!

That extra cog in the 5-speed auto tranny should more than make up for that difference. But, surprisingly, the '04 SL (aka the GLE) gets the 4-speed auto. Huh??? In these days of streamlining, why offer two auto trannies???

I'm dying to see the price. I agree with others that 34k is way too much. Nissan'll have to knock off 7 or 8k for me to bite.

A few on maxima.org dynoed their '02/03's and the results didn't jibe with an advertised 255 hp rating. In fact it was very similar to the rating of an altima (240-245hp). Someone also compared a '00/'01 to an '02/03 and the results indicated an 18-20 hp increase, not a 33 hp increase. Then the '03 altima claims a 5 hp increase over the '02 (245 vs 240). Very strange (I guess they had to one-up, er five-up the accord).

I heard those MB's have good trannies, but I don't plan to trade my crib on one anytime soon. :-)
  • nabinabi Posts: 15
    Has any body have whining sound as it revs up (from 1000rpm)? Even my 10 years old buick does not do that. I also feel that engine does not rev up smoothly. Should I suspect knocking? I have been using premium gas on '03 Max(SE auto with 2K miles) I'm going to see what dealer says about rattles (audio area and seatbelt?) and squeaks (cold-start break and shocks?) Thanks.
    While members of this Board have expressed some concerns about the 04 Max being made in the USA, members on the Maxima 2004 Design Board have taken the issue a couple of rungs higher. For those who are interested, read posts 195 and 206 on that Board, in particular. They are almost comical, as the writers took diametrically opposite views on substantially the same issue - i.e. UAW workers and their work product.

While I generally agree that Japanese made cars tend to be more trouble-free (possibly due to higher quality control), the trend seems to rebut that statement or presumption. For example, look at the Lexus ES300 (made in Japan) and the Acura TL (made in the US) with their transmission problems. Even the venerable Maxima, which has enjoyed years of praise for its reliability, is showing signs of weakness in the quality arena. I know this because I own 3rd, 4th and 5th generation Maximas, and I have noticed that the quality of materials used in the Maxima has deteriorated over the years. For instance, the sheet metal seems to get thinner, the paint seems to become cheaper, and when you slam the doors or the trunk, you no longer hear that solid "thump" from yester years. This may be attributable to the fact that Nissan is trying to pack more features and gadgets into the Max while keeping its price competitive.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, the technology in the Max has improved, and the Max is still superior than comparable (or even higher) priced cars in terms of reliability. That is why I bought the 03 Max even though its quality has somewhat diminished.

Just my opinion ... others may think differently. I agree to disagree :-)
    Does anyone know how the skyroof (not the sunroof) works in the 04 Max? The 4-seater design may be good for a small family or an owner who does not expect or want much company :) IMHO, it looks more upscale than the mundane or pedestrian 5 passenger configuration. Do the rear seats recline and/or vibrate? Are they heated and/or air-conditioned (like those in the Lexus LS-430)? Hey, if Nissan is asking 35k for the car, they better put in more goodies :-)
    Vibrating seats are great because they provide soothing to invigorating massages to the rear passengers -- unfortunate for the owner-driver who does not get to enjoy what he paid for :-) You should try them out in the LS 430 and you will see what I mean ... no kidding.
  • jg28jg28 Posts: 257
    Nissangirl, how can you get 455 from 19.5? The tank only holds 18.5.

I just barely got a new key for my Max and it was $90 with tax. Outrageous!
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Nissan does seem to play around a lot with horsepower ratings. I am sure there are some differences that can be extracted out of "tweaking" essentially the same engine, but it's getting a bit absurd. Nissan's 3.5 liter V6 is being used in almost every model from trucks and SUV's to the 350Z (and much of Infinitis line up as well). Depending upon the application, ranges from 240 hp to 287 hp. I think that's more marketing BS than engineering reality.

Whenever I take my 1995 SE in for service, I get an offer of a test drive of the newest model. When the 3.0 liter V-6 was "tweaked" in 2000 to jump from 190 horsepower to 222, I was skeptical. Sure enough, when I test drive a 2000 SE 5-speed, it actually felt slower off the line than my 1995. Independent tests by Road and Track seemed to confirm that, with the 2000 rated at 7.0 seconds 0-60 vs. 6.7 seconds for the 1995. Perhaps the weight creep between 1995 and 2000 offset any actual horsepower increase, but I also believe that Nissan either underrated the 1995 or overrated the 2000. It wasn't until they actually increased the displacement to 3.5 liters in 2002 that the car got quicker in the real world.

As it stands, the Maxima is quick enough for me. Nissan's credibility is a bit tainted though.
  • blh7068blh7068 Posts: 376
    " I think that's more marketing BS than engineering reality. "

So are you saying that the horsepower figures are really all the same? The tweaks in hp are most likely real. Different intake/exhaust manifolds, cams, and air/fuel mixture are all components that will vary hp in applications that use an engine that are the same in displacement.