Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Options
    71ss71ss Member Posts: 39
    That article was not Auto News--it was couresty of Wards Auto..Either way the topic was Intrigue with an Alero picture, bad editing..I was wrong..

Just got off the phone on this Good Friday after some heated conversations with telephone companies, charges for local LD and Intrastate LD for two business phones; that somehow were being serviced by three phone companies. So, we now have only two companies doing that job and somebody just threw in 1000 free minutes.. A free lunch??????? Stand tall!!!

Let's go to cars.. The press/media has totally skipped the new I-6; for they only understand V-8..

GM needs to wake up and get rid of the fumbling image; before they find themselves in the same boat as Chrysler. Ford has interested leadership and is doing an excellent job of supplying vehicles that fit. They may not have the best engines, suspensions, or the highest tech image; but they are holding their own against the world..

GM should be embarrassed to still have the 3.8 engine as a mainstay and seem to have lost their way with the mainstream buyer of cars.. No (4) valve V-6, and Caddy seems to be the big future product with RWD and a new Catera.. Blotted SUVs that are made for backwoods, muddy fields, foraging streams and pulling stumps. The Asian wannabes are SUVs that are refined and civilized, driving like cars and afraid of the forests..This country is no longer the wild, wild West..

GM management is based on a four year cycle and the only thing they are good at doing is changing the game plan while digging a deeper hole. Olds has cost the stockholders some $3billion in costs and management feels good about wiping out a division to get refocused; personally I think they are a little late and have started the decline to extinction..

Did you all see the new Infiniti I-30 2002 model will have the Altima 3.5 engine. The pricing difference between the two models starts to sound like GM branding--maybe the French Govt thinks GM is growing..

The last time I looked the Intrigue was still in the garage..mine.. Taking bids..
  • Options
    one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    I made this point in one of the posts that vanished but I'll say it again. I doubt it will come back.

In any case, I personally think the Olds engine is the better of the two because it still has room for improvement... in a good way. The Intrigue puts out 215 HP and 230 lb/ft of torque. The luxury Acura RL has the same displacement and cranks 225 horses and 231 lb/ft of torque.

The numbers are similar although the Acura puts out 10 more horses and 1 more lb/ft torque. But here's where the Olds shines: the RL uses variable valve timing and the output is only marginally higher. The Olds doesn't use ANY high-tech toys to do the same thing! Instead, Olds engineers went with a longer bore stroke. The principle is exactly the same as using a longer screwdriver or wrench vs a smaller one. More power, easier to move the screw. The result is that the Olds 3.5 allows similar power to the VVT-i RL without extra stuff.

Now, just imagine how much more power the Olds 3.5 would put out with VVT-i?!!! Then ask what Acura has to do to increase the output of their engine. In any case, if the Olds engine received the same modifications that the Acura engine uses/will use, the Olds engine will always put out more power.

Ironically, Wards Autoworld feels the same way. That's why it didn't make it on the list the third year. They feel that it is indeed a great engine. But they also feel that GM needed to push the envelope more.

But GM will probably kill it after 3 years of real road testing. So don't expect to see a VVT-i 3.5 w/250 horses. Ain't gonna happen.
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Ok just finished putting on the rear one, time to go gas up and test it out.

I just read a nice post from sp01 in the "Ugly New Cars: Why?" forum.. check it out.

Totals
  • Options
    I think Olds/GM would have done the Aurora better by if they did do something more with the 3.5L in that application to hit the 250hp mark while keeping the 3.5 pricing. That with a 5 speed auto and perhaps they would not have really needed a 4.0 model.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
      #2301 of 2301 Strut Tower Brace by vcjumper Apr 13, 2001 (04:44 pm)

Ok just finished putting on the rear one, time to go gas up and test it out. Took about 40 minutes, would have taken less than half an hour if I didn't have to relocate some audio equipment.

I just read a nice post from sp01 in the "Ugly New Cars: Why?" forum.. check it out. I have to agree with the top 7, they all have something that makes them pretty ugly.

Totals: sp01 "Ugly New Cars: Why?" Apr 9, 2001 2:01pm
    vcjumper - the link you used would have allowed someone to be logged in as you, so I removed your post, copied it here and fixed the link.

The best thing to do when linking a post is to right click on the post number, copy the link, and then paste it into your message. This way, when someone follows the link, they arrive logged in as themselves. I think you copied the link from the address bar - that was the problem.

Hope this makes sense - sorry I had to delete your post, but you don't want people running around posting as you! :-)

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • Options
    ghostzghostz Member Posts: 19
    Congrads on your Formula. Sounds like you got a great price. I just traded my '99 pewter-metallic Z28 for my '01 Intrigue. Miss it like heck this time of year. Good move to replace the GSCs. I never like them much. I had drk gray cloth in Z and it was confy- I never really missed the leather and saved substantial $$. I recall the WS6 package is mostly appearance anyway, so your're better off saving the money for mods. They've refined the LS1 since it was introduced in '98, and I think you'll have good luck with it. Given the prices, I might not be able to resist buying a Z or TA in '03.

JR
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    ;->
  • Options
    Well first, thanks Pat for taking care of my errant link. Wouldn't want a bunch of Intrigue owners posting as me and not knowing it :-).

I have to say for a $20 piece of metal, the brace does make a nice difference. The steering response just feels quicker and it is hard to describe but the rear end feels tighter. Now I can't wait till I get a front one put on. Then I'll have to work on making it oversteer!
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ;-)
  • Options
    david161david161 Member Posts: 20
    An article in the Washington Post, April 12, says that parts and repairs for Oldsmobile shouldn't be a problem because Olds shares parts with other GM makes. The only exceptions, the paper says, are engines and suspensions on the Intrigue and the Aurora. That's a pretty big exception, and it's got me worried. The article goes on to say that, according to GM, Olds buyers are "basically assured" they can get any part for "at least 10 years". That's supposed to be reassuring? A car as expensive as the Intrigue ought to be good for more than 10 years. I certainly thought it was when I bought it.I bought it intending to keep it as long as it would run. GM is letting its customers down badly if it does not stand fully behind the car for its useful life and not just "basically" (whatever that means) for ten years. That limited assurance would give me great pause before buying today.
    The main theme of the article is that Oldsmobiles are flying out of the dealerships because of all the incentives.
    www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7649-2001Ap11.
  • Options
    yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    A 10 years old midsize car, with about 100,000-120,000 miles, costs about $1500. Does not pay to replace engine, if it fails...

By the way, Intrigue with the 3.5l engine is optimized for highways. Probably the best midsize car for those who make 25-30k miles per year. It will be 250,000-300,000 miles after 10 years. For mostly short trips I would prefer the older 3.8l engine, available with Chevrolet Impala / Monte Carlo, Buick Regal, and Pontiac Gran Prix.
  • Options
    I would suspect that, if you choose, aftermarket parts would still be available. How extensive those parts will be remains to be seen. I suppose it would depend on the volume the Intrigue will have sold by the time it is discontinued. For myself, I will be using aftermarket parts if I get another Intrigue unless it is for major components like the engine and the tranny. But if GM stays true to form, engine and tranny problems should be minimal to non-existant.
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    No, the interior came from a totaled TA in Alabama. As far as the tires go, I'm not mounting a set of 275's, only 245's, which is what comes standard. The tread width and outside diameter will remain the same; the wheel is bigger and the sidewall slightly shorter. I'm also investigating a 255-45-17; it should have about the same sidewall height as the 245-50-16 that is currently mounted, although it will have a slightly larger diameter and will throw off the speedometer a little. As far as the suspension handling the 17's; the Formula actually has the same suspension as the TA, just not the extra bodywork.
    Ghostz... The WS6 package is no longer available on the Formula, only the TA. It consists of 17" wheels and tires, power steering cooler, and Ram Air induction. But, yes, you're right, I don't think it's worth the $3600 they charge for it. BTW, if you want an F-car and wait until 2003 you may be searching for a leftover 2002... GM is not planning on bringing the F-body up to crash standards which change on January 1, 2003. This means no more production after December 31, 2002. The LS1 was refined some for 2001... it got the LS6 (ZO6 'vette) intake for better breathing and cam from the 6.0 liter truck engine for better mid-range torque. The 2001 also doesn't have EGR and they tightened the tolerances on the main bearings to prevent a cold-start rattle that plagued some '98-'00 LS1's. The exhaust system is pretty tepid, though. Once my bank account recovers, I'm probably going to do something about that.
  • Options
    ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    VCJumper asked if the CTS will use the Opel engine or the 3.7 Shortstar (Shortstar to be increased to 3.7L for 2003).

It will definitely use a 3.2L version of the Opel V6, probably with 230 hp. Eventually there may be a supercharged version with 270 hp.

The Shortstar will start to replace the 3.8L OHV across the board. The Grand Prix will get it for 2003, then expect to see it in the 2004 Regal, 2005 Impala, etc. when each are redesigned and put on the "Mid Lux" platform.

A smaller DOHC V6 will debut in the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu, when it goes to the Epsilon platform. The Grand Am and Saturn L series go to the Epsilon platform for 2005.
  • Options
    etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    I(and many others here) hope you are correct about the 3.5 DOHC V6. Some here have cited articles that GM will drop it, but it makes sense that they replace the 3800 with it as I seem to have remembered a while back that GM was planning on phasing the 3800 out over the next few years. It's been a good workhorse, but I think the 3.5 is more than ready to fill it's shoes. Kind of like when Chevy replaced the old LT1 V8 with the new LS1 in the 97 Vette. I would like to see the 3.5 in the new Catera, but I'm sure Cadillac knows what they are doing. Actually, the current 3.0 is fairly responsive and a 3.2 version should be stronger and from what I've read, the new CTS will be lighter and have a 5 speed automatic. Remember guys, BMW's inline 6 doesn't break any horsepower records(well maybe in M3 form) and yet the 3 series and 5 series are still pretty quick. If I'm not mistaken, in Europe the six is even offered in the larger 7 series.
  • Options
    Here we go again. I was just in the Aurora thread and a guy there just got a 99 fully loaded Aurora with about 45000 miles for $15,900. And this was from a dealer. While that is a little high mileage for a 99, thats still under factory warranty and a heck of a good price on a 2 year old car that stickered for 40K. So when the lease expires on my 98 this summer, once again do I want to get a brand new Intrigue or a 2-3 year old Aurora or possibly a Cadillac. The only negative thing to the Aurora(and pre 2000 Cadillacs) is they require premium unleaded and gas seems to be going up by the day. Regular unleaded is now up to 1.50-1.55 a gallon. Thats more than I paid just Wednesday night! This has to stop.
  • Options
    One reason that the 3.5 (3.7) will replace the 3.8 is that it is easier to meet emission control standards with a DOHC engine than with an OHV engine. Also, look for gasoline to hit $2.00/gallon in many parts of the country this summer. Gas at my local Shell station is up 18 cents in recent weeks.
  • Options
    tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Why not consider a Bonneville? There are some great deals on 2000 models - both used and a few left overs still kicking around - see E-Bay = usually a good assortment of SSEi and SE models.

I bought my 2000 SE for just under $16K this January. It's got the 3.8 series II, the nice buckets and console, a great ride, 30 mpg on regular gas - how can you beat it?

Just a suggestion - I'd love an Aurora too - wish could have both!

Ken
  • Options
    Welcome to the thread. Where are you getting your information about the shortstar not being canned?
  • Options
    Glad you are enjoying your bonnie. For me the G bodies just don't offer enough interior room. The intrigue actually has more usable interior room than the aurora.
  • Options
    swagledswagled Member Posts: 195
    If the Shortstar lives on in the GP, that will be a good thing for Intrigue owners who want to rig up their cars. For example, last time I looked, you could get a K&N filter for the 3.8L Intrigues, but not for the 3.5. I'd expect the performance aftermarket to take this engine line more seriously if GM does.

Regarding parts. Even in the worst case scenario, (and the 3.5 is an engineering dead end), you could get reconditioned parts from junkyards in a few more years as Intrigues start showing up in them. It's even possible that the Intrigue could have enough of a cult following (sort of like the Corvair, or the El Camino) to keep a fair number of them maintained, despite the unique parts content. There's always a group of people out there who want to be "different" from the crowd...

The real key is how long do you want to own your car and how much inconvenience you're willing to put up with while owning it.

Final comment, although the 3.5 is a well thought design with a lot of potential, I'd agree that it's a bit diminiutive for the base Aurora. This is not the price range for "adequate" performance.
  • Options
    Automotive News (automotivenews.com) reported the Shortstar will replace the 3.8 across the board several years ago. The plan was always for Oldsmobile to have exclusive use of the engine for the first few years, then it will be used by other GM divisions.
  • Options
    OK. But that was several years before Olds was put to pasture. What is GM planning now? Rumors, rumors, rumors....
  • Options
    I wonder if the 2k1 aurora wheels will fit on the intrigue
  • Options
    Looks like the Aurora wheels would fit judging by the specs.

Would have to find someone who wants to sell theirs though as GM charges what, $350 or so a wheel for replacements?
  • Options
    Spy Photos::

The wife and I were talking about the new mid-lux platform. She recommended waiting to get one of the cars from the mid-lux platform. But I pointed out that if I don't like the look of the new cars I blow the chance to get the Intrigue I want.

Therefore, has anyone seen any spy photos for any of the cars on the new platform? We've been talking a lot about the engine but don't know what the cars look like. I'm afraid that the spec sheet will look great but the implementation will be crappy. Reference: Pontiac Aztec.
  • Options
    one2one: Don't know if this is a midlux platform car, but it is beautiful. This pic came from the 2003 catera cts thread.Check it out.
    www.aint-it-cool-news.com/image/m2cadillac2.jpg

For me, i very much like the new 2002 altima, but i am still leaning towards another intrigue. It just has more room than just about any car i have been in.
  • Options
    No pictures or specifications have been released for the Midlux platform. Regarding the Altima, it will be almost as roomy as a Ford Taurus or Chevrolet Impala - which are rated by the EPA as full size cars. The interior will have 103.3 square of room and the trunk space will be 15.6 square feet of room, for a total of 118.9. Full size cars start at 120. The Oldsmobile Aurora has 104 sq ft of interior space and a 15 cubic foot trunk.
  • Options
    Re: Interior space. Although the Intrigue is good, I will admit there are smaller (import) cars that feel as spacious. It's little things that add up to an overall effect. The Intrigue has a large-ish middle housing between the seats, and there is some kind of horizontal bracing on the floor underneath the front seats -- I notice it when I pull a leg towards me, and try to angle a foot slightly "under" the seat. You can't recline the front seats as level as I've found on imports. (Thicker seatbacks prevent this.)

But interioir room was one of the main reasons I went for the Intrigue over the Alero. Dimensionally, both cars are pretty close, and the Alero isn't a small car. But it just felt more confining inside. My head could easily "clunk" against the left side glass, or brush the roof if I lean forward. For some reason, climbing out of the car felt uncomfortable.
  • Options
    Can GM jump-start Cadillac? Front Page, Sunday Detroit News/Free Press and the hype around the CTS. There is also considerable excitement about the totally new plant in Lansing, Mich and GMs venture into "Lean Manufacturing"..The pile of rubble started with the Cimarron, Allante, Catera, and through the Escalade. By bits and pieces the Caddy Division has come apart..Cadillac could become the next "dot com".

GM operates with little flexibility in their system and if they misjudge something it takes four years to phase it out. What we will get from them is a copy of a current BMW, Lexus, or Mercedes..Since I am a Caddy owner my hype factor should be bubbling over; but I assume all we have in store for the RWD is some warmed over Opel derivative like the current tank called "Catera".

Took the wife's Northstar for the 100 mile run to our Easter brunch and forgot how smooth it was at speed compared to the harsh/loudmaster critter called Intrigue. Not that I am a big Caddy fan but my GLS is sheer commotion..Maybe there are some medical benefits available to Intrigue owners..

Let's face it sportfans---the car is fun to drive but the quality of refinement is missing, and dealer assistance in troubleshooting since the Dec announcement is really shameful.. This is the week I may cancel my extended warranty w/o penalty..

Has anybody heard from rbb2 and his rackety Intrigue?????The last fix his dealer came up with was to deflate the tires!!!!surprising statement after the Ford/Firestone fiasco!!!!
  • Options
    71ss, We've been over this before with you. The Intrigue is no Caddy. Olds doesn't even try to pretend that it is. Of coarse a Caddy is going to be smoother and quieter, thats what makes a Cadillac a Cadillac. And the Cadillac is considerably more expensive than an Intrigue too. I'll admit the road noise is a bit high, but trust me there are many worse offenders out there. If you want a smooth ride and a quiet drive, go for a base Deville with the Michelin tires. As for the new CTS, I have alot of confidence in it. First off, the current Catera is not that bad of a car. It is no Cimmaron. It's biggest problems are it's bland styling and hefty(for it's size) weight. Both of these issues should be resolved with the CTS. And while the current one is very close to the Opel Omega, thats no worse than Lexus selling warmed over Camrys as ES300s. The Omega is no Cavalier class car.

swagled, I like the idea of the cult following. Don't know if Intrigue owners will be as cult like as El Camino or Airstream trailer owners, but you must admit, we are an active and vocal bunch. Just look at the number of posts on this thread and before when Edmunds would start a new thread after about 500 posts, we were up to 7. I don't think owners of Tauruses, Camrys, and Accords are anywhere near as enthusiastic about their cars. Too bad GM didn't realize that. Like an old Cinderella song from the 80s says; you don't know what you got till it's gone. Anyway, hope all had a good Easter.
  • Options
    etharmon: Its been a long time since someone quoted a line from a hair band. I miss the eighties, it looks like teenagers are going through their parents cd collections and learning the "old school" metal. LOL.

6363/1415/71ss: I posted this earlier today in response to one2one. But here it is again. Go to the "Cadillac CTS 2003" thread and click on the link in post #1. If it drives as good as it looks. Caddy has a winner.

swagled: There aren't any midsize import cars that feel as roomy as the intrigue. There may be some that have a little more rear seat room.
    None have the open greenhouse of the intrigue. For me, the intrigue has no blindspots and the windshield header is not in my forehead.
  • Options
    Is it just me or does the 2002 Camry look a bit Caddy-ish

Camry pic 1

Camry pic 2

• Options
    rbb2rbb2 Member Posts: 70
    71ss - I have had no more dealings with the dealership over this car and I refuse to. I have made the decision that we are going to get rid of it. Now I have to find a replacement. I want a bigger vehicle and am hesitant to get the new GM suv's. With gas prices going up and it being a first year model I'll pass. The Rendezvous looks like it might fit me quite well with all of it's features but again - first year models scare me. I may end up with a minivan. With a new baby it may work. Not crazy about minivans and I will sorely miss the more comfortable arm rests in cars vs. minivans but with the GM discount, $1000 rebate for being a Olds owner (I am afraid to get the Olds minivan because then I would have to deal with their service again so I will pass on the extra $500) and $500 on the GM card it's hard to pass on GM. These vans have been out a few years and they are offering .9% financing on the Montana. I want the Rendezvous but don't want to wait for it.

Oh, with all the rain we had today I noticed on the passenger side in the trunk I had a ton of water. My wife states this isn't the first time. Not going to let it bother me because the Intrigues days in my garage are numbered.
  • Options
    timmyvtimmyv Member Posts: 7
    Flickering Headlights .... Had the new alternator put in during February. Still had the problem. Brought it back, the dealer checked all conections and tightened the ground in the wheel well. Same problem - flickering headlights. Any ideas?
  • Options
    rbb2---sorry to hear the decision; but your dealer is not responding nor is Olds responding to anything..I think Olds will take the stand to stonewall as much warranty crap as they can. Don't know anything about the Rendezvous except I think it is an Aztec undercarriage with different skin..

bz4----saw my handle mentioned and anything connected with the CTS/Catera program is a waste of money, its hype babble..

etharmon-----we have been down the Caddy road a few times and somehow I get the impression you believe it is really the highest automotive standard..It's larger and quieter; but it ain't worth the dream of total excellence.. The local Pontiac dealer still has the 99 Aurora w/16k miles for 19,995.. It appears to be a straight car.. I would take the Intrigue down for trade; but he already has 2-99s on the lot. The Aurora is worth about 18k..

Filled up the Caddy, first stopped at a interstate
    BP station off I-94 in St. Clair county for the top price was 1.75/gal., assumed it was prem., however when I got to the pump it was mid-grade and the prem was 1.89/gal..Left the station and got down the road another 5 miles and prem was 1.74/gal..

The gas pricing is headed to recession for the oil companies along with OPEC have figured out the way to keep a tight control over inventories by holding back production using lack of refining capacity as the culprit..We are screwed and the ecomony will hit the toilet for the domestic guys since 50% of their sales are SUVs.. This sharp energy increase in the USA will gut things--too bad. The last eight years we were living in lalala land..
  • Options
    Don't know if I can agree about the uses of the 3.5 in other GM cars. I read the article in (I believe Wards) that said that GM was going to stop building the engine. It should be noted that the source for the information refused to be identified. That makes me wonder about the credibility of the article.

At the same time, bad news like that from whistle-blowers many times tends to be true, especially when the company either denies or refuses to comment on it. As some have said, it would be foolish to kill the engine after 3 years of road testing. As far as being too expensive to build... it's a twin cam for goodness sake!!!! Of course it's going to cost more to build than a pushrod that has been in production for almost 40 years!! If that's GM's reasoning, they must think we're REALLY stupid.

Plus, if you go to the official Intrigue site and read the News section, you'll see at the end of one article that back in 99 they said they were already at work on modifying the engine. If GM is working on a 3.2 engine, they would have been developing it at the same time as the 3.5. If the only reason they were developing it was for Oldsmobile, then that was really stupid and shortsighted. But they did make the 4.0 exclusively for the Aurora so stupidity isn't out of GM execs scope.

Only time will tell. As I said earlier, if they use only VVT-i they push the 3.5 into V-8 power territory. Save the 3.2 and 3.0 engines for smaller cars like Grand Am and Century.
  • Options
    yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    one2one: Century is not a smaller car. It shares its underbody with Intrigue.
  • Options
    redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    IMHO, the 1st gen Aurora looked great. Loved it. Driving it is less exciting than the Intrigue, though. And, once that puppy gets off warranty, look out.

Flickering headlight question - Anyone with this problem notice any signs of leaking above the alternator?
  • Options
    yurakm::: not that Century is a smaller car but it does use a smaller engine that it shares with other smaller cars such as the Chevy Malibu.
  • Options
    redly one-----The front side of the alternator is covered with oil film/road dirt???? I assume the valve cover gaskets are directly above it.

The alternator is in a very awkward location subject to lots of dirt from road condition and diffcult to replace due to underside of block.. Don't tell us that oil from the valve covegaskets is leaking onto the alt...

Got to be another Olds first..
  • Options
    Finally got a K&N Filter! :::

Dropped the wife off at work and passed an AutoZone. Noticed that the car would idle a little rough at times and was a little sluggish moving from a dead stop. Usually changing the air filter fixes the problem.

So I stop in and, of course, they don't have a filter the for 3800 Intrigue. However, I remember etharmon said that the Regal filter would fit. Plus the last time I was in Pep Boys I cross referenced the Olds and Regal numbers in the book. This store did have the Regal filter. I sized it up with a Fram paper filter just to make sure it was the right fit.

I must say, the K&N made an immediate difference. The idle smoothed out so much that, dare I say, it's *almost* as smooth and quiet at idle as the 3.5. Operative word: ALMOST. But it's pretty darn close. Maybe it's because of the even air flow the K&N provides. As far as increased horsepower, I haven't put it on the highway yet so I can't comment on that. But torque/low-end response seems to be improved. But that could be just because I'm using a clean filter. Also noticed the car started smoother. But I can't say that can be credited to the filter as I only turned it on once. And we all know how inconsistant the starting situation can be. Will expand on these thoughts later after some more driving.

b4z, you made a statement a while back about what to expect from the installation of a K&N. Can you fill me in again? I want to remember that you said that I might even loose horsepower in the 3800. Even if performance doesn't improve dramatically, at least I won't have to change the filter for a long time. At $8 to $12 bucks a filter, $40 for a K&N that won't have to be changed for 2 to 3 years turns out to be a bargain.
  • Options
    jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    vcjumper ::: 2001 Camry, on paper it looks a lot like a Caddy / 300M / Intrepid. I hope it looks better in person.
  • Options
    jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    current gas prices::: reg. 1.59, prem 1.75 per U.S. gallon, just a few months ago I was paying 1.45 for prem. So now it cost me an extra $4-5 per week to fill up. That not going to break me, but it really starts to irk me. You know ones own frame of pricing reference that it use to cost a person around $10 to fill-up, then it creeps up to 15, it pushes to 20 or more. Feels like the price has doubled over a short period of time.

It just chaps my butt, and I am certain it will get over the $2.00 mark this summer. And to boot Exxon/Mobil have one of their most profitable years on record. The BIG oil companies are just gouging the heck out of us consumers.
  • Options
    j_colemanj_coleman Member Posts: 143
    Hey, it's jgriff. When is the type S engine going to be standard equipment in the Honda TL and CL?
  • Options
    jjpowell2jjpowell2 Member Posts: 91
    Alternator/Flickering Headlights

We're following up with our dealership today. He was supposed to have talked to the zone manager on Friday to find out the latest news on the "new-new" alternator. I'll let you know what we find out.

Here's an interesting article that was in the paper this morning:

http://www.azcentral.com/business/0416oldsmobile16.html

• Options
    one2one: The K&N will increase the amount of air coming into the engine which will slow down velocity. You should lose a couple of horsepower and a lb or two of torque at very low engine speeds.

You will gain several horsepower in the higher rev ranges.

The same would hold true for a large diameter exhaust system.
  • Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Where is 1415?
  • Options
    The new Camary is beautiful; where do I sign up!!!

one2one-----You should get the SLP cat-back exhaust system and the Intrigue will really rock and rock..

jgriff-----Prices must go up every year 10-15% for the Petrol guys to increase earnings so we are headed to new heights..

jjpowell2----You are in the Tucson area???
  • Options
    jjpowell2jjpowell2 Member Posts: 91
    71ss - Actually the Phoenix area.

Update: The zone manager said there are many alternators floating around out there now that are the same update as the last one they put in our car. He talked to GM this morning and ordered one of the latest fixes directly from them. It should be received by 4/18......