Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    I just posted this in the C-class owner's club photo gallery. Check it out:
    drew_ "MB C-Class Owners: Photo Gallery" May 22, 2001 11:50am
  • rogerr2rogerr2 Posts: 2
    Hi guys, I am new to this board and am just amazed at the amount of knowledge and sharing that goes on here. Keep it up!

I am interested in a C240 2001 with Auto, C2, Metallic Paint. Invoice is 31545, MSRP is 33860. Dealer wants MSRP. I know some people on this board posted that you can find this car for 500 - 1000 over invoice. Where? In NY/NJ area, they do not want to talk about anything under MSRP for the C240 but are willing to discuss the C320 and the ML and the Es.
    Would any folks that bought recently mind sharing / advising what price they paid recently and if the MSRP for this model is fair? Or should one wait for the 2002?

Thanks in advance.
  • benz747benz747 Posts: 91
    I would go for 2002, as you are paying MSRP in any case (hopefully prices remain same) what wondering me is I have seen 2001 Per-Owned on dealers lot with 9K miles and they are charging little less than MSRP !!!!!!!! no LOGIC why one would go for a per-owned if the difference is not subtential ?????
  • zmeenowzmeenow Posts: 341
    i agree... though it seems to be a great sign that the car is holding its value due to high demand.
    I guess theres always a possibility of waiting a bit to see if the dealers "drop their drawers"a bit as the 2002 model yr gets closer and closer.The radio is already running ads promoting yr end prices on mb's
  • rs64rs64 Posts: 64
    I paid invoice + $800 for mine 2 weeks ago. 2001 C240, auto w/ sport package. (See if you can get to the internet department or fleet mgr.)
  • cticctic Posts: 291
    Who or what is the fleet manager? What does he do? People seem to be able to get good deals from this guy. So why isn't everyone getting their cars from him?
    Are you sure they have commercials for year end discounts on C class ?
    I have booked 2002 C 240, with C2 and Auto Tx (MSRP) the dealer only willing to throw CD Free !!
  • rogerr2rogerr2 Posts: 2
    Hi RS64- you mentioned paying Invoice + 800 2 weeks ago. Was this in the North East? When you went in did they start with MSRP and bargain to your price?

Thanks in advance
  • zmeenowzmeenow Posts: 341
    they didnt mention the c class specifically,no.but as it gets closer to yr end.. and if theres inventory... especially in harder to sell colors......
    Rogerr2, this was in Southern California.

ctic, you are kidding, right?
    No, I'm not! Everyone just ignores my question so I've never found out!
    I think the hardest part is finding who the fleet manager is at the dealer. The people on the floor won't help because they don't want to lose the deal.

I have bought 4 cars the past 3 years and the internet sure made it easier.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,367
    This term gets used, too loosely it sometimes seems, to refer to the guy in a high-volume dealership who, in the "olden days" was in charge of selling to businesses and individuals who were in the market to buy more than one vehicle at a time, or some number of cars and trucks over a year of so.

Lately, the term has become synonymous with that person in the dealership who has the sales responsibility for "affiliated organizations" like credit unions, company organizations, membership clubs, the internet, etc. The assumption here is that no one individual buys more than one car at a time, but the organization brings in enough buyers to justify some level of discount, e.g. AAA Buyer's Program, AARP Member's Program, etc. Often, in my case, this has been code for "find somebody in the dealership who is realistic about price and the marketplace."

At high-end dealers like MB, BMW, Lexus, etc, there is no tradition that this position exists, or that the dealership has any interest whatsoever in these kinds of sales. However, in competitive urban markets, it is not unusual for someone to wear this hat. Finding said person is the trick.
  • johnny2000johnny2000 Posts: 38
    Hi All,

In order to find the "fleet managers" try to visit your dealer's website and fill up a Quick Quote. The person who is gonna contact you via email or phone is the Fleet manager or his/her associate. That is how I have found a deal on my car. Oftentimes these "managers" are like JRCT have mentioned sales people with volume sales to membership clubs (Costco, AAA,Rental Car Companies and the like). They are also called, or they call themselves Marketing Associates or Marketing Assistant Directors. So, regardless of the labeling youcoud find out by using hteir website or use the old fashioned way, call and ask for fleet managers. Receptionists know who you want to talk to. Another way in finding these people is to talk to rental companies' managers like Enterprise here in Los Angeles and Budget who specialize in renting some MB cars and ask them of a contact person they recommend to get a deal on MB. I have tried it too and it worked for me.

Good luck to you all. JRCT I always enjoy reeading your comments, please keep up your positive cntribution.

Cheers
  • yanksfan1yanksfan1 Posts: 7
    I have been looking for a new vehicle for about 2 months and narrowed it down to the 330i and C320. For the same set-up the Mercedes is $45,000 and the BMW is $43,000. The BMW dealer is offering me $2000 off and 5% lease financing for 36 months, bringing my payment to roughly $610. The quote out of the Mercedes dealer was $710! $30 can be explained by the MSRP difference, the remainder is the dealers unwillingness to move at all! I told him I prefered the C320, but it is not $80/month better than the 320. Can anyone out there help me with two issues:
    1) Help me understand why the C320 is worth the extra?
    2) Where can I get a better deal? Here is what the $710 is composed of: 67% residual, 8.41% effective interest rate, $500 off MSRP.

I have never purchased a Mercedes while I have owned BMW. I told them this fact, but they don't seem to give a crap if they garner a new customer.
  • ralphh1ralphh1 Posts: 5
    bmw and mercedes tough choice. I owned a 1999 bmw 328i followed by a 1998 slk 230 (which i sold with 11000 miles last week) new 2001 c240 with c1,c2 and c4 package with bose addon...
    both vehicle's are fine auto's....if you want a VERY sporty ride..BMW is your only choice..for a controlled "luxury/sport" ride Mercedes.
    I bought my car using www.autobytel.com...after visiting two dealers bought the car for 1000 under msrp and they dealer traded the car...purchased vehicle in pennsylvania, live in ohio....saved 2500 considering my trade over what i found in ohio...\
    just food for thought.
  • jayonejayone Posts: 25
    Hi just visited my dealer for a squeeky accelerator. I also experienced an odor problem. I dont know where its comming from but theres a stronge smell of some sort of fluid. Waiting to find out , is anyone else experiencing these problems!
    That dealer may be able to sell all the cars he has, he may not have any incentive to lower his price.

Answers

1) It depends on what you want. In another forum I was talking about the Honda Accord. The C320 or the 330i is not $20000 more car than the Accord either. Nobody needs a Mercedes. You have to decide whether you want to pay $80 more for one car or the other.

2) Shop around the other dealers in your area. Some people have managed to get very good deals.
    anybody have an idea about when will 2002 prices will be out, I checked on edmunds and found only Acura to come out with 2002 pricing
  • 2002mbenz2002mbenz Posts: 7
    I wanted to purchase 17" 5 spoke rims from MB to put on a C240. Did any other members do this as well? Any recommendations as to whether I should go this way. The rim will definitely have to be from MB.
This discussion has been closed.