Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• Options
    tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    The UK site for MB seems to have some unusual, yet interesting features...

Main: http://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/pc/range.html

C-Class specific: http://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/pc/saloons/cclass/newc/index.html

Tarik

• Options
    rmelkrmelk Member Posts: 5
    Add me to the growing list of owners with a key that doesn't open or close the doors, but works in the ignition. Are the replacement keys better, or do they too fail after a period of time? Has anyone had a failure with the key in the ignition resulting in the car stopping?

Re: the radio reception. Mine works extremely well. Judging from the problem I had with my ML320 your antenna probably isn't connected. I had lousy reception in the ML320 until they replaced the headliner and connected the antenna. Now it works great! MB will tell you that you don't get great reception with their antenna, but that's just an excuse.
  • Options
    radman2000radman2000 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 C280 with 82,000 miles. With summer weather here, I noticed a few weeks ago that it didn't seem to be cooling very fast. After playing with various climate controls for a few days, I determined that the ventilation system isn't blowing the volume of air that it used to. Even with the fan on "4", I'm just getting a little air out the main vents. I've also noted the following:

1. With A/C on, air is cold--not a problem with compressor.
    2. Fan SOUNDS like it's operating properly (gets louder and blows more air, though still not much, at higher settings).
    3. Not blowing a lot of air regardless of panel setting (recirc, defroster, floor vents, heat on, A/C on, etc.). Panel controls all seem to be operating properly (air gets redirected, changes temp, etc.).
    4. Volume of air doesn't change with windows open.

Could there be a blockage somewhere in the system? The car is garaged and I live in the desert (no leaves or needles). There is a fair amount of blowing dust, especially in the spring. Could it be that the pollen filter is clogged? Where is that filter, anyway? I think they replaced the filter at 60,000 mile service. Is there something that otherwise regulates the amount of air entering the car? Anybody have other suggestions for repair/diagnosis? Any help would be appreciated.

Radman
  • Options
    zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    nice sight tarik... thanks!
  • Options
    nankynanky Member Posts: 75
    I had a similar problem with my Honda Accord sometime last year. The diagnosis was a weak fan motor. Once the motor was replaced, the problem went away and it has been working ever since. With mine, symptom #2 led me to believe the problem was something other than the fan. With time, the airflow got weaker and the motor got louder. Hope you find a fix soon.

Good Luck.......
  • Options
    mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    You should be able to eliminate different airflow paths. The 320 has a separate console button for the charcoal filter. Also you have a separate button for outside or recirculated (inside) air. If changing the charcoal filter button only changes the airflow volume significantly then that's the answer. If recirculation button changes airflow volume then the one of the vents is blocked. If no combination changes it then it's probably in the fan, motor, or fan housing. Guessing, I'm no pro.
  • Options
    tsm123tsm123 Member Posts: 3
    Had my 2001 C240 in for service to have the hinge on the driver's door tightened; it was loose and making a clunking sound when the door opened and closed. The service advisor said they'd seen that on a few other 2001 C classes, fyi.

While there I asked about the remote unlocking feature of my tele-aid as I have a pre 59000 VIN. Lo and behold, the service advisor said they had just received notification about a fix in the works for this problem. That's the good news. The bad news is they tell me my car needs a wiring harness and the part is on nationwide back order, so not sure when it will be fixed. I'm number two on the list at this dealer to have the work done. But at least they've acknowledged the problem at a local level and seem to have a plan in place to start to address it. We'll see how it goes.

Has anyone else heard about this? I know there were a number of us affected by this issue posting some months back, just wanted to give everyone an update on what I'd learned--since this board has been such a great source of information for everyone. . . .

One last note--had them check on the vibration when tires have been sitting overnight at 35-40mph that others have noted. . .the shop supervisor said the situation is normal and they all do that, a characteristic of low profile tires. Hmph. . .don't have the time or inclination to have the drivetrain replaced (as someone who posted earlier was pursuing) and since it goes away once the tires warm up, I'm letting it slide for now. . . but at least I've documented the problem on my car.
  • Options
    diwc240diwc240 Member Posts: 172
    Maybe we need heated blankets for these low profile tires ? I know when the F1 / CART / INDY cars are waiting in pit row before a race or a rain delay, they place covers (heated ?) over their racing tires...(maybe it is just to keep the rubber dry). You sure see how a cold Indy 500 racetrack affected those cars last Sunday !
  • Options
    kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    You could try this to prove that it is the problem:
    get 3 jack stands and jack the car up one night.
    If you drive it the next day and it has no vibration, you might want to look at replacing the tires...
  • Options
    robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    Tim,

Thanks for your update. My zone rep has the update harness but has failed to deliver to my dealer here in Illinois though he told me this a month ago. I hope you're right but my enthusiam for this car is rapidly waining. (8 trips in for all the problems covered in this web site.)(6 months old with 6400 miles) Interestingly we also have a new Lexus in its first model year with only 1 visit back . I'm not sure MB has a good handle on this car or the S-class either. In 6 months this 320 is going to be traded. I just don't have the time to keep chasing these gremlins.

Best wishes
  • Options
    cre8torcre8tor Member Posts: 2
    Well,

I just got off the phone with the dealer and he says that my c240 is "On the Water" and should arrive by June 16th.

Could someone possibly list the current issues/problems that they are aware of with the 2001 c240?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Jeffrey,

Have a look at Post #2 in Photo Gallery (link at top of this page) Photo #21 of 42 or this link should take you directly to the Table:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1508702&a=11393668&p=41624815&Sequence=0&res=high

Last updated back in mid Feb.
  • Options
    15,000 miles... still trouble free
  • Options
    nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    Actually, they sell little curved wheel "rests" that you can park on that are supposed to eliminate flat spots. I've seen them in catalogs, but I forgot who sells them. Check out the flat spot problems with those run flat tires in the Lexus SC430 group....
  • Options
    sirus32sirus32 Member Posts: 55
    Yesterday I left my C240 with the dealer to correct vibrations I felt between 30-40mph.

I gave all the information I received from John(jrct9454) about tires and vibrations to my service manager.

If you remember, the service manager tested all 2001 C's(240&320)on the lot. Each had the same vibration between 30-40mph and each had a different manufactured tire. The service manager figured it had to be the drive shaft, since older E classes had defective drive shafts that caused vibrations.

Anyway, to make a long story short. They replaced the drive shaft, but it didn't fix the vibration.

After reading the Town Hall documentation I copied regarding tires and vibrations, the service manager order and installed 4 new Michelin MXV4 Plus tires on my car. Problem solved, No vibrations!
    I'm not sure what the tires cost, they were covered under warranty.

Thanks John for all your insight and education!
  • Options
    maabmaab Member Posts: 41
    Has any one seen or heard over the grape vine on a possible C convertible? Eventhough E convert exits, it's just too expensive and speaks "empty nester". SLK is great, but again $$ and speaks "mid-life". I have nothing against these fine cars and love to own one. At this momement, I think BMW has a corner on a 4-seat, perf., convert car (with SAAB and Volvo chasing).

I'd rather see a C convertible than the upcomming C Coupe.
  • Options
    John R, alias jrct9454 was right!!! Thanks for letting us know Erich. I think we all learned something from your (and John's!) experience. 1st....experience and wisdom always win and 2nd.....just because they are the dealer doesn't mean they have the definitive answer (sad)
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    I am pleased that your problem seems solved, and of course happy that my [very expensive] experiences in this area were helpful.

As I mentioned before, it is rare for dealer personnel, even with all of their training, to have all that much real-life seat-time in their own new car lineup. Your symptoms sounded classic to me, but dealer people are led by their training to look at mechanical explanations before tires...whereas it is my experience that tire choices make more difference to the way the car feels than any other single piece of equipment.

Anyhow, hope the car can now live up to its potential to please...the chassis deserves better than the Conti and GY tires that are so often the OEM choices.
  • Options
    where does one get the wood knob?how much?

i just get why people are concerned about the comvertible,or the coup,or the model"speaking" to strangers passing on the street????
    buy what you love! enjoy it! its your life!
  • Options
    cticctic Member Posts: 291
    That's the CLK! It's based on the C chassis, not the E.
  • Options
    Performance Products 800-789-1891 $99 part #WDS-88881000
  • Options
    I was just told Performance Products web site shows the price at $79. Couldn't find it so can't verify.
  • Options
    404c404c Member Posts: 146
    Is this place dead or what?! Is everyone out driving?
  • Options
    varigvarig Member Posts: 99
    Does anyone know when AWD (4Matic) will be available on the C-Class. Is it going to be this year (MY2002) or next year (MY2003)? I asked at the local MB dealership and they said that all the models would eventually have it but they have not heard of a definite date yet.

Also would appreciate comments about the comfort (especially back seat) of the C on a long road trip. Although the E-Class has more room and available 4Matic, I'd like to save $10K with a C if I could.

Thanks
  • Options
    michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    I returned a C320 to the dealer purchased in Dec on which the shift knob was Laurel wood, the same color and marble texture as on the console and door panel. It looked exactly like the pic on messages 3317/18.

I just picked up a new C320 a few days ago with a shift knob that is Laurel wood, but has no texture and appears as being solid black. I contacted the dealer and asked if I could have my old shift knob back. They said I could, but it would cost me approx $100 to switch knobs (maybe a bit more) for the labor and would require a service appt and the car being left there.

Are the new C320's coming in with black knobs? Does it take that long to replace the shift knob that I could not wait for it? Does the price sound fair? Would I be better off buying a new one and bringing it to the dealer to install rather than switching knobs?

My thanks.
    Miki
  • Options
    tomsky3tomsky3 Member Posts: 48
    I purchased on all burlwood shift knob to replace the original on my E430. I went over to Mercedes service and asked the guy to show me how to install it. He installed it himself, taking about 30 seconds. There was no charge. I can't see how they could charge you $100.

All he did was to rotate the bottom cap on the origina,l clockwise, and then firmly pull it out. To install the new shift knob, he did the reverse.

Jack
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Jack, the C-class's shift lever is different than all of the other cars since it has a leather boot on it.

Miki, congrats on your new car! What a laugh; I doubt it's that difficult to remove the shift knob. There is probably some sort of ring at the base that you can twist of the shifter (that chrome piece is suspect), and then pull off the knob. For now, perhaps you should just take the original knob back and then maybe Tony (hoppyeng) can provide us with the instructions as to how he switched his shift knob.

Varig, as mentioned previously, the C-class 4-matic sedan and wagon will only be available late fall of 2002, along with the S-class 4-matic. I wish it was this fall, but according to what I've heard from various sources, the system is still undergoing the final stage of tests to make sure that it is troublefree. It will be available in Europe by spring of 2002.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    hoppyenghoppyeng Member Posts: 25
    Purchased from Performance Products (800-789-1891), part #WDS-88881000, for $79.20. Website is www.performanceproducts.com. The wood is excellent qulity, same Laurel wood as Mercedes. Made in Germany.

See Message #3317 for pictures.

Replacement is somewhat easy. 1st, pull off the chrome base ring panel holding the leather sleeve. Pry it up with your finger nails, no screwdriver or metal objects.
    2nd, pull the ring panel and leather sleeve up to expose a platic nut (shapes like a cone) which secure the knob. Twist it counterclockwise and then pull the original knob off the shift rod. (may need to force to pull it out.
    3rd, replace the original know with the wood knob. Make sure the chrome panel is put back in the righ position. (one side is straight and the other is
    curved a bit) It needs to match the opening.
    4th, push the wood knob (with leather sleeve attached down the shift rod until it stops and will not twist sideway. Install the cone nut to secure it.
    5th, snap the chrome ring back in place.
    You finish.
  • Options
    sakharesakhare Member Posts: 1
    a) Do dealers negotiate the price on a MB, or is it pretty much the MSRP ?

b) Is there a wait to get a 2001 car?

Thanks for any replies.
    Sanjay Akhare
    (newbie to MB and this forum)
  • Options
    Thanks Tony! Miki, see what your dealership wanted to charge you $100 for?! A 5 minute job!

Drew
    Host
  • Options
    >Thanks Tony! Miki, see what your dealership >wanted to charge you $100 for?! A 5 minute job!

My thanks, too, Tony -- I will bring your post to the service department :)

Drew -- Consider, however, that they have to remove the old shift knob from the first 320 and the new shift knob from the second 320 and then put the new shift knob from the second 320 on the first 320 and put the old shift knob from the first 320 on the second 320. That's got to take at least twenty minutes :)

Miki
  • Options
    maabmaab Member Posts: 41
    I forgot about CLK, but price wise, it's not competitive when you compare it to 3 series. It seems to be in the league of E class.
  • Options
    benz747benz747 Member Posts: 91
    Sanjay - welcome to this forum, this forum is full of information, to answer your question about MSRP - yes they still charge MSRP on C 240 but ready to negotiate on C 320s, although some folks manage to get their cars below MSRP, but you have to be lucky for that to have that CAR sitting on dealers lot and with non-demanding color on it, try some Internet buying sites and if they have dealers in your area you might get some 2001s with $500 off MSRP -
    I booked 2002 of cource MSRP, only I could get free CD from my dealer which is anyway a common feature now

to answer your second questions - 2001 models looks like to be already sold out (subject to last minute cancellation) - 2002 will be in production line in June 2001

rohit
    dublin Ohio
  • Options
    nutternutter Member Posts: 7
    A press release states that the price of the C-Coupe will be $24,950.
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Yeah, the MBUSA website has all of the details, including pricing and std equipment. With destination, a 6-spd base car is going to be roughly $25.5; with paint and automatic, figure somewhere around $27.5k as the real base. Looks like we are going to finally get a version of cloth upholstery as std in the USA. The option packages are pretty much the usual suspects at the usual prices.

If you can restrain yourself on options, this promises to be a true sub-$30k car, though what the dealers are going to order for stock could easily exceed that figure with all of the usual stuff they like to add. I'm thinking about an EU delivery on this car myself, but want to try one first. The latest iteration of the supercharged 4 cyl is SUPPOSED to be less thrashy and tractor-like than the version we saw in the W202 Cs and early SLKs, but I would have to try it before I can be convinced of this claim. In any case, an interesting package...
  • Options
    tblountmantblountman Member Posts: 4
    Hopefully this hasn't been brought up before but I have been off this board for a while. Can someone clarify how the keys are supposed to work with regards to the seat memory. It is difficult to find a true explanation in the manual and the service department is clueless. I have had my keys replaced once already for another problem. I thought when you have the setting on the dash set to "key dependent" each key would remember the last seat setting and it would return to it once that key was used. Now when my wife drives and I follow her I get crunched if I don't push the button on the door and stop the movement. Can someone tell me how it is supposed to work. Thanks
  • Options
    husky11husky11 Member Posts: 53
    Re: your question as to whether MB dealers negotiate the price for the C Class. My case is quite a bit out of date since I bought a 1999 C 280 in Sept. '98. Then, they drilled me for the full MSRP on the car, the options and the CD in the trunk. I wasn't happy about it but we wanted the car very much. And, after looking at it all this time, we like the car enough to forget about it.

Next time I will go through Costco or maybe try in other neighboring states.

I have been reading/posting in this forum since 9/98 and have gone through a lot of information. I would say that generally, the majority of buyers have paid the full price. There have been a few exceptions, but not very many. MB seems to have a captive audience when it comes time for a purchaser to buy a C class sedan - and they (the dealers) act accordingly.

All that being said, I now have 25,500 miles on the car and it has performed flawlessly from the beginning. Most others have also had good luck. That does not mean however, that there aren't problems from time to time. I suggest that you read through the last few hundred posts, if you haven't already done so, to get a feel for what has been going on with others.

Also, many buyers have had to wait for the car to arrive. I waited for two months and merely bought one that was already built and ready for shipment from Germany. If we wanted a particular color and options, we would have had to wait for about 6 to 7 months. But, we took the polar white color anyway and harranged about it for a while. However,now we like it. You can see it at night - even during the darkest hour.

Good luck in your decision!
  • Options
    Miki - -Congrats on your new car. How do you like the Obsidian Black? I picked mine up on Saturday and could tell the metallic difference once the car was parked outside. So far, the car is driving great and I am still taking time to go through the 350+ page owner's manual.

Has anyone experienced a ticking sound, more like a mild valve knocking sound, when the car is idling and if so, what was the fix?

Sanjay - Sometime ago, rs64 recommended Liquidprice.com It's a user friendly site where dealers place bids on your request. Some of the bids on the 2001s I have seen can be as low as $1,100 off MSRP.
  • Options
    Nanky: see Post #3287 by lancairman. This is the newest explanation for the "ticking" sound at idle.
    ------------------------------------------
    "#3287 of 3341 Clicking by lancairman May 28, 2001 (11:08 am)... With regards to the intermittant ticking noted in my car and several previously: This turns out to be a design defect--nothing wrong with the car, but the fuel vapor purge valve is hard mounted to the driver's side wheel well in the engine compartment. When it activates, you can hear the sound of the valve activation through the frame (sure enough, you can feel the pulse in the hard tubes emanating from the valve with your head under the hood and the engine on). My mechanic fabricated a rubber standoff for the valve which as almost-not quite-eliminated the sound."
  • Options
    Thanks for the information. It doesn't sound as if much can be done. The service folks want me to take the car in. I will do so to see what they have to say.
  • Options
    nanky -- I like the Obsidian very much -- even more than my plain Black. The Obsidian color has more depth; the Black was more sheer, and I could, at times, see scratches and spider lines through the layers of paint.

I have not driven this car enough to know if there are any problems or not. Drove it 100 miles on its maiden voyage on Sunday night. Sometimes I think there might be some distortion in the windshield, but not sure. I am also watching the temperature gauge -- it stays exactly where it should be (as illustrated in manual's pic) while driving on the freeway, but as soon as I get off it goes up slightly. There is no stop-and-go traffic to cause this, just slower speed. Since this is my second C320, I am more aware of differences. I also noticed the slight elevation when I drove the car home the short distance from the dealer in mild traffic.

I hope we both experience safe driving and no major problems with our new cars. On second thought, let me expand this hope to include everyone who reads this post!

Miki
  • Options

Don't miss the weekly MB Tuesdays chat at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern! All MB fans/enthusists/owners/potential owners are welcome to participate. Hope to see you there!

Click on the link below to enter the chat at the times above. Note that the link to the chat is always near the top of this page, just under the discussion topic title:

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

Drew
    Host
  • Options
    congrats on the new baby!..hope THIS one..is a good one!!!Let us know!
  • Options
    mtroymtroy Member Posts: 45
    Four visits to Auto Stiegler, three with advance reservations: each time: "Sorry we don't have any MB loaners, but here's a Taurus." I don't care that much, other than the dealer made such a big deal out of the MB loaner during the purchase. What a crock.

Recall that Visit # 3 was the oil change that they got wrong. Visit #4 was for a loose seat. Shop Forman: "It's supposed to be loose." Me: "That's ridiculous; the passenger seat isn't loose." Service Advisor: "We have to order the part; we'll send you a postcard when we get it in." Me: "Gee, isn't this a safety issue? And can't parts be shipped overnight from anywhere in the world?" Service Advisor: "Ok, we'll call you."

A week later, they call me. Me: "Please give me an appointment on a day when I can drive a MB loaner." Them: "Ok how about 10 days from now." Me: "Ok."

10 days later: "We're sorry we're out of MB's -- they didn't come back." Me: "Huh? What do you mean they didn't come back?" Me: "Whatever, give me my Taurus."

Later that day: no word on status.
    Next morning: Me: "How's my car?"
    Service Advisor: "Oh the factory sent us the wrong part, so we had to order another part."
    Me: "Does this mean I have to wait another 10 days?" Me to myself: "Yeah sure it was the factory's mistake."
    SA: "Oh no sir, we'll have it tomorrow."
    Me: "Then why did it take so long the first time . . . . Oh nevermind." "Say, can you call me with a status report tomorrow."

The next day: no status report. Me: "How's it going?" SA: "I don't know." SA 4 hours later: "It won't be ready today." Me: "Can I trade my Taurus in for a MB?" SA: "They didn't come back yet."

What horrible service. I can't wait to fill out the service evaluation. They did fix the seat.
  • Options
    cticctic Member Posts: 291
    Me: That is really bad service. Are there any other MB dealers in town? You don't have to service where you buy. Worse case scenario, get another service advisor.
    Me: I've never gotten a MB once as a loaner car in 2+ years of ownership and 2 cars. I got a Volvo once when I begged them, otherwise it's Intriques, Malibus, Exploders, etc.
    Me: I think there is a MBUSA number you can call to complain.
    Me: That dealer deserves a big fat zero on the service evaluation if you get one (70% of the time I don't). If you get a telephone evaluation make sure you deliver it in an Anne Robinson tone of voice.
  • Options
    ..a big AMEN!
  • Options
    johnny2000johnny2000 Member Posts: 38
    It is so sad to hear what you have gone through with your dealership. As stated by CTIC above, you can always go to another dealership and it is still free scheduled maintenance and free warrnty services anywhere you go nationwide.

My experience with loaners have been great for two reasons. First, if I don't like the car I speak to my service advisor or to my sales manager/or sales person. Second, I have also tried to go the other way by contacting the rental car company directly and inquire about their inventory. I have a great relationship with enterprise Rent a car here in the south bay and any time I needed a car loaner or even a car rental I get a special treatment.

The dealer's cost for renting the loaner for their customers is fixed at preset price of $50 dollars per day. oftentimes even that cost is subsidized by MB too. You have to ask for it though because they also have the option of giving you a ride to your home or work first. But if you ask for a loaner you oftentimes get it.

Cheers
  • Options
    fuzzofuzzo Member Posts: 88
    I was under the impression that the cars given by the dealers are free and the customer didn't have to pay for it (well pay for it directly at least... )

is this correct
This discussion has been closed.