Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,966
    ...take over for the Chevelle Super Sport? Some of those were pretty hairy...well, by 70's standards, at least!
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    I don't want to get off track here because it is the Impala board. The Laguna first appeared I believe 1973 and ran until the end of 1976. Special front end distinguished it from other Chevelles. 350 or 454 could be ordered but horsepower was WAY down. 245 hp for the 454. You could order special instrumentation but that was about it to distinguish from other Chevelles. I believe the front end was more aerodynamic and approved for Nascar at that time.......Back in 1975 I almost bought a brand new one that I saw on the dealers lot...
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    IMO GM is not going to get anywhere with SS badging on the Impala since it is in the large family car category. Sport sedans tend to be smaller like the Mazda6. I keep hearing the SS is coming in 04 but will be surprised to see it. Just my opinion.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    I believe the SS is coming out in '03 and will be shown at some of the auto shows. Most likely Detroit in January.

Grand Prix will be available for sale in the March/April time period.
  • Is there room for an Astro SS ???? It is rear wheel drive. With a little aero styling it might get out of it's own way. Enjoy the ride
  • atbearatbear Posts: 322
    "All of the differentials you mentioned would void the warranty and have become available just in the last year. Not something I would do to a car under warranty.
    There is also a 3.69 gear available."

You can get 2.93, 3.29 or 3.69 gears. These gears will NOT void your warranty unless they cause a problem and the dealer can prove it. It is against Federal Law for anything to void your warranty unless is it the cause of the problem. Check out the Magnuson Moss Act. BTW, these LSDs (esp INTENSE) are heavy duty and will not fail.
    "....voiding warranties: Recently I was at a Pontiac Buick Dealers at the service department and a young guy was arguing that he had problems with the brakes on his 2001 Sunfire. He had sort of turned the car into a tuner with 18" wheels and tires etc. The service advisor told him his warranty was void on the brakes, front and rear suspension components because the brakes and suspension was designed for I believe 16" wheels. Also told him he could void the complete warranty if the 18" wheels and tires were higher profile then the factory installed 16" because his odometer/speedometer would run 10 to 20% slower and indicate a lower mileage then true.. WOW!! I also read that having a remote starter installed other then by the factory would void electrical components originally covered under factory warranty. Tuners with new cars beware!! That factory warranty on your car wasn't free its built into the price of the car when purchased. Hate to throw that away!!"

Warranties CANNOT be voided by a mod, unless that mod is what caused the problem, AND they can prove it. It is federal law - Magnuson Moss Act.
    "Looks like there is no Impala SS and malibu has been downrated from 240 hp to 200 hp. Guess the tranny couldn't take it.
    Lots of news from all the divisions.
    Check it out quick before GM deletes it."

Where do you see there will be no Impala SS???
  • bh0001bh0001 Posts: 340
    It took me exactly 19 months. We'll see how long it takes me to get to the end of my 160,000km/5year extended warranty!
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    HA!

19 months.

I wish.

My 00 LS has 110,000 MILES on it. I think I hit 36k miles at about 9 months!
    No Impala SS at the show.
    Besides the SS, I don't expect that the SSR or whatever the Chevy retro truck is called is going to be produced en mass, either. They will make some to parade around the county to get free publicity but the possibility of breaking even on a production run is dwindling due to the weak economy.
    "No Impala SS at the show."

Gotcha.... I think it's supposed to debut in Chicago.
    cheersandgears.com has deleted the link so I deleted mine also. Apparently this is embargoed info and is not for public consumption yet.

Don't want to get Edmund's in trouble so I got rid of it.

If you want to search for it on your own you can go to media.gm.com and give it a shot.
    No mention of this car being at the following 2003 auto shows:

Los Angeles auto show: Detroit: Chicago: New York auto shows: The only Chevys mentioned at these shows are the new Malibu, SSR and Belair concept.

I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't axed this Impala SS (again!) Might have to wait until 2006 when the NEW IMPALA arrives......just my thoughts

I did some calculations. If you have averaged say 30 miles per hour with starting and stopping. You have been in your Impala about 3266 hours. That leaves about say 9 hours that you have actually been at home in the last 2 or 3 years. More then 4 times around the world. Almost half way to the moon. You are 2,847 miles short of the odometer reading on the Columbia Space Shuttle, but I am sure you will pass that! Hopefully when you sell your Impala it goes to a nice car retirement home where it can get the rest that it so rightfully deserves....................... Just some light humour!!

ps: My 2001 LS just turned 16,000KM was I excited!!

Setting new records.
    6,666 vehicles produced this week.
    248,676 for the calendar year 2002.
    That is versus 214,025 last year.
    Looks like they will hit 250,000 vehicles unless they break for Christmas.
    That is within a hair of the cavalier's production.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,966
    ...the space shuttle orbits the earth every 90 minutes, at least it does when it services the Hubble Space Telescope. It's racking up about 50,000 miles every three hours!

Still, 110000 miles on a 2000 is ALOT of miles. I put 13,000 miles on an '86 Monte in 3 months once, back when I used to deliver pizzas. I'm glad I didn't keep that rate up for 3 years!
    Ya I know my numbers were off on the space shuttle. (just some humour) Maybe he delivers pizzas?
  • garypengarypen Posts: 1,482
    Chevy sells more than 250,000 Caveliers a year? Holy moly! At least half that has to be fleet/rental sales. Has to be. Ain't no way that a quarter million people are buying Caveliers every year.

Those Impala numbers are probably 40% fleet, as well. I'd bet cash money it's at least 30%.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    The 110,000 mile Impala owner here again. Nope, no pizzas delivered...I chase roller coasters and do some government work in the car! It's been to Maine, Florida, Missouri and all points in between, from its base in West Virginia!

The Impala is a fine car, it's only non-wear repair so far has been a headlight switch (it has had brakes and tires).

It will probably be replaced by an SS or a Pontiac GP GTP (2004) or even a Mazda6! Don't know yet.
    Its good to know that you have been happy with your Impala...all along you have given us updates. Thats important for other Impala owners to know how dependable this car is. travelling as much as you do RELIABILITY is near the top of your list of priorities..I am sure!!
  • I was just going to post a message asking if remote starters voided the warrenty. Ugg, thats stupid. Does that mean only the dealership can install one? Or not even that?
    Read your warranty book that came with your Impala. It explains that within the first few pages...
    Can't understand why GM makes engines with odd fill capacities, e.g. 4.5 qts. on the 3.8 engine with the filter. Why don't they make it a nice round 5 qts. so you can just empty the jug?? Any opinions on whether adding the extra .5 qt makes any diff?
    "I was just going to post a message asking if remote starters voided the warrenty. Ugg, thats stupid. Does that mean only the dealership can install one? Or not even that?"

Did you read my post? Will not void the warranty unless it caused the problem on the warranty claim.
  • All I can say is WOW I really love this car. I brought the 2002 LS Sport with all options. The car is absolutely beautiful! The car is just phat! Love the heated leather seats and the diamond cut wheels. The radio kicks azz too so they must have fixed the problems found in the 00 and 01 model years. I still want to add a subwoofer just cause the trunk is so big anyway.

It is fast too I don't care what anyone says. Where can you find a big car like this that can keep up with most of the cars on the road and gets this kind of gas mileage? It should be even better with a Thrasher CAI and a better exhaust setup. When you look at everything that this car has it is very hard to beat. Sorry rice boys.

What about traction control? Will I get better acceleration off the line with it enabled or disabled?
    Congrats, man! I have a 2002 LS. I agree the heated seats are cool and the Radio is adequate. Power is respectable.

About the Thrasher CAI and Exhaust: Get exhaust if you want deeper sound/tone, but you won't get any performance from it. Same with the Thrasher CAI, you won't see much performance from it. I would suggest against the Thrasher CAI. I had it and sold it. I now have a Custom Fenderwell Intake that I made myself (easy) for about $30 plus filter and it is much better than the Thrasher. Better performance. Just intake and exhaust won't give you much gain, but you will breath a little easier on the highway. Also intake is neccessary if you have plans for other performance mods. Let me know and I can send you my directions for the Fenderwell Intake (FWI).

For the track, you want your Traction Control OFF!! It robs a ton of power from the engine. This is big!

Look on the Accessories & Modifications board for my Mods present and future. Email me or post if you have any questions. Good Luck!
  • Thanks for the advice. I will check out the MODS forum. It sounds like you really know your stuff. If you don't mind I would love to get a list of your mods and your directions for the Fenderwell Intake. My email is mreina@si.rr.com
    Toyota Car sales in the United States for November 66,171, Ford 59,143, Chev 46,470. For the FIRST TIME IN US HISTORY an off shore manufacture will be #1 in car sales in the US for this year 2002..... Year to date Toyota car sales 774,000, Ford 724,00, Chev 682,000.......

Truck sales Ford and Chev still out in front. To date 2002 Ford truck sales 3Million. Chev 2.8M Toyota closing every year this year 1.5M... It goes to show American manufactures are falling behind even if their quality is getting better...From 1957 to 1966 Impala was #1 in sales every year except 1958.... The times are a changin'...............