Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Brian,

You need to understand that Edmunds.com does not permit promotion and solicitation on these boards. Because most of the sites you listed may be of general use to our members, I am allowing your post to remain on the boards.

In the future, you should be advised that posts containing solicitation and promotion of products and services are explicitly forbidden by the Town Hall Terms of Use which you should carefully review before proceeding.

We have many members who are in the automotive business who contribute very useful information on the boards without crossing the line into promotion and solicitation. Welcome to the boards and we're looking forward to hearing more from you!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs

• Options
    1800950chev1800950chev Member Posts: 3
    Which browser are u using? and what version?

Sometimes AOL's search engine corrupts things...

Try typing the address manually up in the address bar/box....for example:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

Let me know....

Sorry Tidester,

That should've been a no-brainer.....

I was simply trying to help the consumers....

It won't happen again, sir.....

Am I allowed to give our Customer Assistance number....it's already in my alias actually...

Chevrolet New Product Info 1-800-950-CHEV

Chevrolet Customer Assistance 1-800-222-1020, prompt #3

GM Buypower assist/navigation 1-800-462-8976

If you call any of the above numbers, they will also be able to assist u on other GM Brands...

Later,

Brian......

• Options
    ducatist4ducatist4 Member Posts: 28
    Our incident occurred in the summer with high winds, 40 mph, and hot day. I suspect this played a part. A couple clues I used to convince our dealer it was not vandalism were:

The glass was broken in, but very few pieces were more than 8 inches from the rear hatch. I would assume if someone had taken a bat to the window that some pieces would have made it to the rear side of the back seats or even further forward. There was no rock, etc. found.

When you hit a window in the center with a ball or bat, the center breaks into small pieces, but the pieces get larger and larger more near the periphery. In our case, there were 2-5 mm pieces all at the edge. This makes me feel like it imploded.

Finally, the car was in broad daylight, in a open hospital parking lot, with security.

My dealer was Billion Automotive, Sioux Falls, SD, Oldsmobile,Buick.
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I don't know why any of you still say this, but the Explorer no longer has a "rolling over and killing the driver" bug. That was the last-gen. models due to bad Firestones and a short, skinny SUV that wasn't all that stable. Couple that with owners who thought their new Explorer was just like the car they had before, and when the tires blew, they freaked and most likely did some improper moves. The end result-a rollover.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like Explorers let alone most of the poorly built Ford vehicles. We actually have a Chrysler 300M. My point, get over the rollover Explorer issues and what caused them!
  • Options
    dshepherd3dshepherd3 Member Posts: 194
    my bad, wrong site id, should have been nhtsa.gov fairly easy to navigate to recalls and bulletins
  • Options
    acl1966acl1966 Member Posts: 24
    Sorry I'm a little late with this question but I just read the posts from iexplore2000 and others concerning the Onstar Personal Calling issues. I have a 2002 Envoy SLT with the DIC. I live in the Miami, Fl. area and so far personal calling is not yet available to us folks in the "sunshine state." I was not aware of the readout on the DIC when making calls, so this was quite a nice surprise to learn this from all of you. My question? What about Virtual Advisor. Does that also read out on the DIC? I hope when Onstar can finally connect that feature on my vehicle, the DIC will work properly. To iexplore2000, can you post the bulletin number the service tech used to correct your problem. It will be good to have just in case my DIC doesn't work when Onstar makes personal calling available down here. Thanks again. Also, for all you Envoy owners out there, I just received a GMC Envoy travel kit from GMC promotions. Looks great. It's a cooler and first aid kit, complete with umbrella, flashlight and tire gauge. It comes in either pewter or oak leather with "Envoy" embroidered on the top. I think there is one available for TB also. Nice addition for the triplets. If anyone is interested, I'll post the website.
  • Options
    tulsahogtulsahog Member Posts: 64
    Will repeat previous post. Looking for serious comparison, not the "rollover" reply I received.

I have had two Explorers which were good vehicles. I like the Envoy, but am concerned about all the problems posted here.

Would appreciate it if someone who also considered the 2002 Explorer would comment on their experience on the quality of delivered Envoy as well as experience over first several weeks.
  • Options
    scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    First, my post on the Explorer and the rolling over bug was to be taken for nothing more than the sarcasm that it is.

However, it could still very well have a tipping over problem. One theory is the close ratio steering of the Explorer. You always read how the Explorer drives like a car, but that's not always good. If a driver makes a sudden, panic move, that's all the more the front wheels turn. It makes it easy to steer beyond the limits of an SUV.

Anyway, I'm not overly convercened about the new Explorer and tipping over. I never needed to evaluate it fully, as there are too many other things I don't like about it.
  • Options
    chootschoots Member Posts: 21
    Thanks dshepherd3, The new url worked like a charm.
    I will take the TSB number to the dealer and see what happens.
    Thank you for your help.
    Carl
  • Options
    richardcoulsonrichardcoulson Member Posts: 88
    I test drove a trailbazer ltz yesterday. I noticed that the foot area for the driver is wider and roomier that the old blazer. However, I also notice the the foot area on the front pasenger side seemed narrow and tended to force my left foot over to the right. My left knee also won't clear the left side of the dash that protrudes forward. I am 6' 2'' tall. Has anyone found this to be a problem, particularly on long trips?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    I looked at almost every mid size SUV before buying the Envoy. Compared to the Explorer, the choice was pretty easy. First, I did not need the 3rd row seat, so that didn't rule out the Envoy. Since the Explorer 3rd row is pretty worthless except for very small kids or midgets, I would not have bought it even if I needed a 3rd row. Second, the Envoy I-6 outperformed the Explorer V-8 and gets better mileage. I DO NOT get 21 on the highway, but do get 19-20 with the 4.10 axle. Combined city/highway driving gets me an average of about 17. Third, the Envoy drove and rode much better in my opinion. Also, in my opinion, the Envoy KILLS the Explorer in the looks department, both inside and out. Once again, these last two subjects are strictly personal opinion. The Explorer looks like a "farmer's go to town truck" and the Envoy looks like an elegant, upscale, and high tech vehicle. I have had a few minor gremlins, such as the wandering mirrors, but nothing else. I have only been to the dealer twice in 7 months and 10,000 miles. Finally, my SLT Envoy had more features for the same money as the high end Explorer. Since I tend to keep a vehicle for a long time, the driving, comfort, appearance and features advantage of the Envoy made it a no brainer. That opinion goes in a comparison with the Acura MDX (glorified minivan) and the Mercedes ML (pregnant roller skate). The Explorer was never even close. If I had to buy a FoMoCo product, it would have been the Mountaineer or I would have waited for the new Lincoln Aviator due out this Spring. However, I agree that many may find the Explorer more to their taste. That is fine with me. That is what makes America great. We can all or almost all get just what we want! Good luck in your decision.
  • Options
    garykinggaryking Member Posts: 47
    tidester,

The title of this forum is not "3 similar SUV's from an unnamed automaker", so why are you complaining about someone posting links to GM sites in a forum dedicated to GM products??

I have seen the "Thought Police" completely destroy several other busy & healthy forums here at Edmunds.

Don't do it to this one.
  • Options
    tulsahogtulsahog Member Posts: 64
    Hardhawk, your observations are right on. The Envoy does have the advantage in appearance.

Thanks,
  • Options
    cwhawkcwhawk Member Posts: 38
    I have read all the posts and cannot find anyone who is getting the mileage that GM lists. My TB gets 14.5 in combined and 19 mpg on all highway. My 1997 Blazer got 19 combined and 23 highway in the exact driving routes and conditions. The EPA ratings are only 1 mpg apart. So, I expected better. The GM reps. recently have given several alternative sites on the web but no real assistance. I want to know if ANYONE has had GM make any adjustments that resulted in gas mileage CLOSE to the EPA ratings? If any GM reps. read this, give us some real help, not GM propaganda. Every owner is complaining.
  • Options
    tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    I wouldn't take the problems and what not here on this board for a 100% accurate feel for the triplets.

This board more than others in many cases has problems posted but then there's only so much talk about how great our vehicles are that even a group of satisfied owners can take.

I've had my share, but resolved them all to a point that I'm still 100% satisfied with my LTZ.

TULSAHOG WROTE:
    "I have had two Explorers which were good vehicles. I like the Envoy, but am concerned about all the problems posted here. "
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That's a bit over the top.

First, the post in question was not removed from the board, in case you didn't notice.

And, second, all of us agreed to Edmund's Terms of Use when we signed on and the TOU specifically forbid promotion and solicitation.

Finally, my post was simply a reminder of the second point.

There is a major difference between talking about products from whatever manufacturers and attempting to sell items or services in order to bolster your own personal sales record. I am sure you can see and appreciate the distinction.

The expression "thought police" is intended to inflame, overlooks the reality of message boards and ignores the fundamental agreement people make when they sign on. As such, its use is less than productive.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    envoyenvy1envoyenvy1 Member Posts: 22
    My envoy is still early in the break-in period (501 miles) and although I've had 0 problems and am very happy with the vehicle overall, I'm only avg. about 15mpg. I would assume part of this is just break-in and will probably get better after some miles are put on, but I'm concerned about the postings concerning high rpm shifting since I've noticed mine also shifts at around 3000 rpm (1st & 2nd). Someone mentioned a TSR about the high shifting problem, but I'm curious what everyone is seeing associated with RPM/shifting (normally) and what everyone is considering high rpm? Appreciate the help
  • Options
    dshepherd3dshepherd3 Member Posts: 194
    Just some thoughts here, 1st the epa fuel ratings assume the std 3.42 differential, also the ratings are at 60 to 80 degree temps, at 55 mph. So we should look at the overall conditions applying to everyones fuel mileage results.
  • Options
    Alan,

Could you post more info about the Envoy travel kit you mentioned? I always need more ...
  • Options
    shapiro3shapiro3 Member Posts: 11
    Just thought I'd post my gas mileage experience so far. I have a 2WD Envoy with the 4.10 ratio and I am getting about 14 or 15 mpg city (with a heavy foot) and anywhere from 19-22 highway (usually 21 with mild hills). My Envoy has about 1600 miles...and so far no issues whatsoever except for the license plate paint problem.

A quick question: I just changed my oil tonight, and when I got the filter at Auto Zone the computer said PF59 but the filter on the car was a PF58 and that is also what the manual shows as the filter. I remember reading some posts a while back about the filter, but I can't remember what the consensus was. I went ahead and put the PF59 on the vehicle since it appeared to be the same size.
  • Options
    I believe the consensus was that they both work, but the PF59 is better because it has an anti drainback valve or something.

Someone questioned why GM was being cheap and using the PF58 but I think this is a non issue for the most part.

Use the PF59 and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    iexplore2000iexplore2000 Member Posts: 237
    Hi Acl1966...

I am actually going back to the same dealership tomorrow morning (Monday) to take in my 2002 Grand Am GT1 for service.. the steering wheel shakes at speeds above 55 mph and it only has 1,500 miles on it! Anyhow, I will ask my service advisor for my Envoy paperwork.. they didn't have time to complete it on Friday and mentioned that they would mail it to me.. Hopefully he should be able to provide me with the specific technical bulletin for me to post to this board for you. I thoroughly tested the personal calling and my nametags are displayed in the DIC in addition to the numbers that I ask the system to dial.. displaying one digit at a time.

Now.. I did setup my virtual advisor online but when I spoke the command "Virtual Advisor," the system said "connecting to onstar virtual advisor" and after a couple of beeps, it errored out and said that it couldn't connect to my account and that I should press the blue onstar key to speed to an advisor.. Well, after this last traumatizing experience with the onstar I decided to post-pone my call. Maybe I will try again tomorrow.. Wish me luck and I will post the info as soon as I have it.

Thanks!

Dennis D.
  • Options
    I have a digital camera, and would love to know how to post pictures on this forum.
    Thank you for any help that you can give me.
    Carl
  • Options
    acl1966acl1966 Member Posts: 24
    To: iexplore2000, thanks for your reply. I think from reading your previous posts, we have the exact same vehicle. Envoy SLT 4WD W/1SK-Professional Technology Package, Black W/Dk. Pewter. I've had mine almost 6 mos. (Sept) with no problems, so far. (except I have no personal calling). Maybe Onstar will feel sorry for us down here and hook us up soon. Thanks again for enlightening me on the DIC. Nothing mentioned in the owner's or service manuals.

To: garyking concerning the GMC Travel Kit. I stumbled onto that website by accident and took a chance and ordered one. The site is: http://fulfillment-force.com/chevgmcpromm.html

I received the kit 4 days after ordering it and was pleasantly surprised in the quality. I got mine in pewter w/Envoy embroidered. The cooler bag is approx. 1 ft. cube and looks like real soft leather and has an umbrella w/GMC logo attached. The Envoy logo is on the zippered lid of the cooler. Also included is a GMC travel map which goes inside a net attached to the front of the cooler. Inside the cooler bag is another pewter leather zippered bag, which contains the first aid kit, flashlight and tire pressure gauge. The cost for the whole kit was $40.00, which I thought was very reasonable for the quality of the product. Everyone who has seen it thought it was really nice. Looks like something you would see in a Cadillac or Lexus. The picture of it on the website, which shows it in "blue" does not do it justice. The pewter (grey) color matches the Envoy's interior color. It's available in tan, also. Hope I described it as best as I can.
  • Options
    osu98osu98 Member Posts: 6
    That part number is for the pair of running boards. They were very easy to install.
  • Options
    osu98osu98 Member Posts: 6
    This is the first new vehicle I have owned. I want to keep the paint looking as good as it does now for years to come but am unsure what products to use. I notice from this board that most of you have owned several new cars over your driving lifetimes. Do any of you have a suggestion for a good wax for my Pewter TB? I live in Atlanta and hopefully the weather will be nice enough to wax her soon.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    The absolute best on the market is Zaino. Theire products provide an unmatched shine and seem to last forever. We on the Chrysler 300M board are Zaino experts and you just have to take one look at the pics of our cars to see just how great Zaino is.

Check it out:

http://www.zainobros.com

• Options
    c2h6oc2h6o Member Posts: 32
    osu98:

I have a black and light pewter TrailBlazer LTZ. Part of my research into the vehicle before I purchased it was also looking into waxes and polishes. Never had a black vehicle before, and I knew that if I didn't care for it properly it could look pretty bad pretty quick. A LOT of people out there agree with beach15 that Zaino is the best way to go. While Zaino polishes are a multi-step process initially (done properly), the results are worth it. And future applications are faster and easier than traditional waxes. (Zaino isn't a wax - rather it's a polish. Subtle distinction, but a major one!)
    Zaino is the only polish I've put on my TB (although who knows what the dealer put on it - the down side of buying off the lot!) and the shine and durability was well worth it.
    I was able to Dawn wash, clay, Z7 wash, Z6, Z1, Z2/Z5 (two coats) both my TrailBlazer and my wife's Grand Prix GT in a weekend. With the new ZFX it only would have taken one day. So the time of application really isn't an issue (some people say it is since it takes longer to dry than waxes - but the ZFX really speeds up the dry time).

Check out the Zaino home page mentioned above.
    There's also an Edmund's Townhall board under "Maintenance and Repair" - Zaino Car Polishes

-Jason
  • Options
    I have used a polymer glaze called Astro Shield on every vehicle my family has had since 1970. A more well known glaze that is very similar is called Liquid Glass. LG is a lot more expensive.
    The Astro Shield requires two coats separated by at least 6-8 hours for the initial application, but only one coat per application after that. I have used it on boats, cars, trucks, vans, etc. and have never seen anything I like better. I had a car detail summer business when I was in high school and college and Astro Shield was all I used. I have used it on every color imaginable and on the newer clear coat finishes. I have used it on my Indigo blue Envoy and it is simply stunning. It would be a very easy job on the Pewter color as it is much lighter than my Indigo is. I buy the Astro Shield wholesale directly from the manufacturer in New York as no one around here sells it. I usually apply twice per year but it can easily go once per year and still look great and continue to bead up water. A really great product as far as I am concerned.
  • Options
    icojonesicojones Member Posts: 61
    Is Astro Shield used in addition to a wax, or instead of wax?
  • Options
    It is used in place of a wax. It removes small amounts of oxidation, tar and bug residue, but is not like a heavy duty finish cleaner.
  • Options
    My dealer called & said my new Envoy SLT just arrived(yay!). I told them to put on mudflaps, but they said that since I got the running boards, they can only put mudflaps on the back but not the front.

Anyone out there with an Envoy with running boards that can confirm/deny this?
  • Options
    envoysleenvoysle Member Posts: 20
    Well, I have an SLE 4x4 with the hard mud flaps and runnings boards and they both have been installed by the dealer with no problems.

So I deny what your dealer told you.

2800KM on it, so far so good. No noise, no vibration. Tight fit & finish. Perfect!
  • Options
    sstradersstrader Member Posts: 15
    My Envoy SLT came with running boards and the dealer added the formed GMC mud flaps without a problem.
  • Options
    I saw the messages today o2/18 about the Travel Kit, went to the site, ordered a pewter one, got a call a few hours later, lady stated that the pewter was gone, only had tan color left, did I want that. Not with a Pewter interior Envoy.

Looked like a nice kit though.
  • Options
    I have seen numerous posts here about going to gmpartsdirect to get things like floor mats, mud flaps, etc. Now my question. Where the devil on their site do you find things for a 2002 Envoy. I can't find a listing under the Vehicle heading for the Envoy so where do I go on this site for my SUV.

Thanks
  • Options
    Bummer. My interior is pewter too.

Thanks for the heads-up though.
  • Options
    g4davidg4david Member Posts: 4
    I have the Indigo Blue Envoy, and although beautiful color, it needs to be washed often. So I was looking for opinions on what product to use and what kind of mit/material to use. Also, what do you use to dry with? I'm trying hard to prevent those light scratches that appear with time.

Thanks
    David
  • Options
    You need to email gmpartsdirect and ask them the part number of whatever you want to order.
    I found no way to navigate to anything for my Trailblazer, but they do have the stuff. I got all weather floor mats and they're good. They're rugged but not too rugged and I've heard of fit problems with the aftermarket ones.

As for washing, use a terrycloth towel or mitt, not a sponge. With terrycloth, dirt particles get taken up into the nap and are less likely to cause swirl marks.

Also, note that the bottom part of the vehicle gets much dirtier than the top. You may want to use 2 buckets, one just for the bottom. Wash the bottom with one bucket then use the other bucket to finish off the truck. This avoids spreading dirt particles all over.

As for drying, a chamois is probably best but remember, it's just going to get dirty again.
  • Options
    Hey Gang,

As promised, I was able to obtain an actual copy of the service bulletin issued by On Star on the reconfiguration of the control module to work with the DIC. I will post general information about the bulletin, but it's an actual two page copy that I can scan and e-mail to anyone that may request it.

On my service invoice, it states:

"CK Operation of onstar system was not activated onstar reactivated system, used phone to make a call. Worked ok but no phone number were stored in the directory. Called onstar about display not working, on star said vehicle does not have display option. Called TAC to check if info was correct, TAC advised call on star. Called on star, advised to call RTAC. TAC advisor supplied bull 01 08 46 002 to correct problem. Performed bull, system working."

Okay, if most of you out there are like me.. reading "service lingo" can give one a quick headache, but I wanted to post it exactly how it displays on my printed invoice.

Now the actual bulletin itself is labeled: Info -- programming of Replacement On Star Vehicle Communication and Interface Modules (VCIM) # 01-08-46-002 and it goes into two pages worth of detail on how the tech can reprogram the module to work with the specific options on several cars/trucks listed on the bulletin. I will scan this into my pc system tonite and if anyone needs to have a copy e-mailed, please let me know and I will be more than willing to e-mail it to you.

Also, in my previous post (3984) I had mentioned that the Virtual Advisor stuff was not working. Well I had a rude awakening today because when I actually key pressed into the On Star center today, they stated that they had my current location but my account info did not come up in their system. To make a long story short, they mentioned that my system was not configured and that I needed to take it back to the dealership. A little heated over this, I quickly returned my truck back to the dealer and the service manager quickly found out that when they reprogrammed my system last Friday, they had to have On Star update their system to reflect the new codes?? On Star had dropped the ball in doing this. After a quick call to On Star, the service advisory was able to get them to handle whatever needed to be taken care of on their end. So now all of the features of my On Star are working correctly. If you need to have the service bulletin performed, be sure that you can actually reach On Star once they are finished with your vehicle.

Good luck and thanks everyone!

Dennis D.

IExplore2000@aol.com
  • Options
    Hi G4David...

I have the Magnetic Red Metallic Envoy SLT loaded to the gills ($38,415) with the SLT Professional Technology Package (DVD & Stuff).

What I have used to wash my vehicles in the past is the Zymol Car Wash liquid. It's relatively inexpensive and leaves a nice shine on your vehicle. I have been using this product for a number of years and I noticed around 1998 - 2000, the product was becoming extremely hard to find. I would end up ordering off of the internet in order to be consistent with my vehicles. Now, I guess the product is becoming pretty popular again because it is turning up at a lot of stores. You can now find the wash at Pep Boys or most auto part stores, Walmart, Meijers, etc. It runs about $5.00 a bottle and works very nicely.

Also, I use a lambs wool mit that I recently started to find in some of your "higher-end" auto parts store. The mit runs anywhere between $8 to $15 and the quality is exceptionally good!

For my wheels, I will normally use the Eagle One A to Z wheel cleaner or the new one by Meguirs.. I think that it's called "Hot Wheels." I utilize these agents first to break away the break dust and other road film, then I will clean each wheel with a terry cloth towel, warm water and the Zymol car wash liquid. Also, for the tires, my dad introduced me to the Castrol Super Clean product to clean the tires.. It really does a good job! I will usually use one bucket full of water just to do the wheels, wheel wells, tires, tail-pipe, hitch and as far as my hand can reach underneath the vehicle. Then I will refill my bucket and start washing the vehicle. Oh.. one other tip.. there is a GREAT touchless car wash in my area that does a SUPER job with the undercarriage blast. I will normally take my Envoy there once a week just to get the undercarriage blast, especially since we are in the winter season and the roads can be nasty. To dry my Envoy, I invested in the California Squeegee/wiper blade and that saves me quite a bit on drying time. I don't know how much time you have on your hands, but usually my process takes me at least 2 to 3 hours to thoroughly wash and dry my vehicle, thank god for a heated garage with hot and cold water outlets!

Now.. what about waxing?? I've tried a lot of products from expensive Zymol waxes to Armor All products and my father is extremely partial to the Meguirs Professional Series line of car waxes and polishes. He has really good experiences utilizing these waxes.. you ought to see his garage and his cars.. they are brilliant! I like the Meguir products as well, but I wanted to try other products as well, just to see if I could find anything better. I recently bought the 3M line of products, but haven't used them yet. Since I bought my Envoy in late November, I haven't waxed it yet, but I am planning on shining her up this weekend. I will keep you posted on my finding! Since everyone is raving about the Zaino products, I am going to check out their website tonite as well.

Lastly, just for those who posted questions about motor oil and oil change intervals, heck.. I have been a BIG FAN of the Mobil One oil products so since 1998, my cars have had nothing but the Mobil One synthetic oils and EVEN the Mobile One Synthetic Oil filter. The Envoy uses the Mobile One Synthetic filter (M1-206) which runs around $11 or $12 here in Michigan & Ohio, and I use the Mobile One 5w-30 fully synthetic oil at $4+ a quart. I know that this can be expensive, but for a $30K vehicle, I can afford to do this just to give me greater security. Also, no ifs, ands or buts about it, I ALWAYS change my oil at 3K. I just seems fair to me and the vehicle, I don't want like to keep oil for long durations in my vehicle.. I kind of look at it like me drinking water or milk.. If the water is warm, I get another glass.. when milk spoils, I throw it away..

Good Luck and I hope that my tips may have helped you!

Dennis D.

IExplore2000@aol.com
  • Options
    cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    Over the weekend I noticed a flapping noise coming from the driver's side of the vehicle toward the front. It was hard to get a beacon on, since it was freezing out and I wasn't about to stick my head out the window, since it was only occuring at 65+ mph. After I got to my destination, I looked over the vehicle. Originally, I thought it was one of the baffles in the wheel well that was loose, but it wasn't. Afterwards,I noticed that there is a little rubber seal around the roof rack bar, and right in the front it's not glued down. There is a space of about 1mm between the rack and the seal. It doesn't happen all of the time, only in heavy crosswinds, but it's still really annoying! I'm thinking about having the dealer either glue them down or reattach so the gap disappears. Has anyone else noticed this flapping noise? Was it coming from that seal?
  • Options
    mooneyjpmooneyjp Member Posts: 4
    Anyone out there having a problem with mileage on the SLE Envoy 4x4. We are only getting 11 mpg.
  • Options
    That is what I am getting, 11 mpg with my SLT 4w/d.
    I blame it all on the high shift points, it stays in low and second gears way to long before shifting.
    Dealer says this is normal, it may be normal, but it is not right.
    Carl
  • Options
    axsysmanaxsysman Member Posts: 26
    I have an Envoy SLT 4wd with the 3.43 ratio. I have never gotten below 17 mpg average using the DIC. My current average is 19.1 with a 60% highway usage. What kind of driving are people doing to get 11 mpg? Please provide more info, are you towing a trailer? Driving back and forth to the grocery store? A little more description might help others compare their mileage with their driving habits.

I do a 41 mile commute each way every day, 33 miles is highway. I also average 5 to 10 miles per day during lunch (all city). Then at night I will generally put another 10 to 20 miles of city driving on maybe 3 to 4 times a week.

I still average 19.1 mpg, so anyone getting below say 14, must have something wrong with their vehicle.
  • Options
    cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    I am averaging just over 16 mpg in mostly city driving conditions with the 3.73. Anyway, that's what the readout from the DIC says after about 1000 miles, so I think it's pretty accurate. It's a big shock going from 30+ in my old vehicle (Ford Probe) down to 16, but the ride and power are worth it! My DIC had me at about 13mpg after 200 miles, so give it some time and your average should come up.
  • Options
    n2sjxn2sjx Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone checked their trans fluid level and found it to be low? If so by how much... I've check mine according to the procedure in the owners manual and found when the trans was hot, the level was only on the cold portion of the dip stick...

JK
  • Options
    I have 4WD Envoy SLT with 4.10 rear axle. I average around 17 MPG, with it going to about 19 MPG or so highway and dropping to about 15 MPG in town. I had hoped for higher, but figured that the 4.10 axle lowered the numbers from the EPA figures for the 3.43 axle. I love the performance of the 4.10 and it also helps when pulling my 3000 lb boat. When I pull the boat, I don't even bother to check the mileage. No need to get depressed. Of course, all the mileage numbers beat what I got when I had my pervious vehicle, a 2WD Dodge Ram 1500 with a fuel swilling V-8. Still love my Envoy!!!!
  • Options
    kismat_tradingkismat_trading Member Posts: 8
    Just finished racking up the first 600 miles on my new Envoy. On the first fill-up I averaged about 13 MPG! Now I am averaging just about 18 MPG. I credit this to the DIC feature of "Inst. Est Mileage". I started to lift my foot off the gas instead of riding it like I was use to with my Honda Accord. If you watch the display you will ssee your milage drop on acceleration and increase by leaps and bounds when you take you foot off the pedal. This may take some getting use to.

I think the mileage gets better with time and a bit of change in driving habits. Working in NJ and living in NYC has one definite benefit.. Gas is almost 25 cents cheaper in NJ.

Dheeraj
  • Options
    g4davidg4david Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Dennis D. for the tips, I like the two bucket idea, and I've used those squeeges on other vehicles to dry, just a little afraid to use on brand new paint.

My milage numbers are: 2wd, 3:73 gears, easy on the gas, 5000 + miles, City: 17-19; hiway (70mph) 20.5. These are actual numbers, figured the old fashion way. Towing 3500 lb boat ,13mpg.