Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    They make DXes, but not many. A search revealed only 2 new DXes within 50 miles of me (actually both were fairly close by)--one stick and one automatic. There were many more DX-VPs than DXes.
  • Options
    texastownhalltexastownhall Member Posts: 22
    I have owned Civics and Accords in the past. Generally similarly equipped Civic and Accord are about $3000 difference.

I can handle mid-size car but with a long commute, I want to be little more frugal but still have some fun and more importantly reliability.

2009 Civic prices, it appears that if I compare the price of DX-VP or LX to a similarly equipped 2009 Camry, they are less than $1000 difference.

I dont' understand. Camry competes with Accord and Civic competes with Corolla.
  • Options
    crazyflycrazyfly Member Posts: 61
    Difference is due to perception, perceived quality and resale value.

Honda has started its Annual Clearance Sale. Which means you can get the civic for a lot less and the price difference b/w Civic and Camry would be more. But then you can also get an Accord LX (with VSA) for the price of a Camry.
  • Options
    lali3lali3 Member Posts: 16
    Anyone recently purchased in pittsburgh area, if so please share dealer name and also price paid.

Thx
  • Options
    jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    If one looks at the prices posted for the last month or so the Civic

LX auto 16000
    Ex auto 17600

is about the average price paid for these vehicles. Including destination and dealer "doc" fees.

Anything significantly less is icing. You may have to send emails or faxes directly to 30 or more managers last week of the month to to find 4 or 5 that will quote that aggressively against one another. From the posted prices it seems unlikely, at least this month.

That said, a 16900 purchase price with 10% loan and credit score of 800 means little.

The $4000 cash for clunkers vouchers your gov't is putting out is probably increasing new car sales 10-20% this month in different regions. There are only about 275,000 vouchers available vs new car sales of about 900,000/mo. This has jacked up prices a bit in varied areas.

This puts the odds further against you.But who knows? you may find one desperate enough to chop off another $600-700. Or overallow your trade that much.

Good luck
    --jjf

Would you call me crazy for trying to get a Civic EX sedan automatic for $16950?
  • Options
    ccm226ccm226 Member Posts: 6
    Yes, the three I was primarily quoting against each other were Boch, Herb Chambers and Prime. There were some others in metrowest as well that were involved as well in similar price bracket. Those first three all seem like they would particularly really like to take business from one another; I'm sure others would too. ;)
  • Options
    redredrabbitredredrabbit Member Posts: 44
    I decided to go to the dealerships today in hopes of getting better quotes by showing them that I'm a serious buyer.

One of the dealerships wanted to sell me a "new" Civic with 190 miles on it already. They claim that it was a dealer trade that had been driven over here from another state. Is this normal practice? How should I approach this in the negotiations?
  • Options
    jjh220jjh220 Member Posts: 12
    RRR, what strategy are you using while negotiating? Did you get any good online quotes before coming in? Do you just go from one dealership to the next asking for prices?

IMHO, the way to go is not to ask "what kind of price can you give me?", it is to say "I want to buy this car for $xx,xxx today, so sell it to me". How do you come up with xx,xxx? I would look through this forum's messages for the past 2 or 3 months and find the lowest price the trim you want (EX Sedan, right?) sold for anywhere in the country. Then start going to dealerships and demand this price ($xx,xxx) or this price - $100/$200/$300/etc if you are feeling ambitious.

The end of the month is coming up too so keep that in mind as well - that's when it's easier to make a deal (which is not to say you should wait to buy before then). Stay firm on what you want and adjust your demands downwards only when going to the next dealership. If you keep a good working relationship with the dealers you haven't bought from, go ahead and visit them a few days later and try buying a car again, armed with the knowledge you've accumulated from multiple prior dealer visits. They are certainly not going to tell you to go away - they'll welcome you back with open arms.

My advice: if you want to go for the lowest possible price, avoid the 190 mile Civic. You have nothing to gain by buying it. They won't be able to sell it for any lower than they would a 5 or a 10 mile Civic. I would imagine it is quite normal for one dealer to sell a car to another dealer and then drive it to their lot. Putting it on a flatbed and moving it that way would just create an additional cost they'd have to pass on to the customer.
  • Options
    bsmurfbsmurf Member Posts: 1
    I do not think that a price of 16950 is too crazy. I'm in the market for the same car, and I think I'm shooting for a price around that too. I'm aiming for 19000 out the door, which in California works out to be about 17000 negotiating.

I have contacted 13 dealerships with an average offer from their end of about 18100 before taxes and fees. The highest offer is about 18700 and the lowest offer is about 17700. I will send out a counter-offer of 17400, and hopefully 5 or 6 will accept. After that, I will see if one dealership will undercuts another by 100 or 200, and other dealership undercuts that one....until I reach about 17000.

So yeah, if you plan out a good method, I think that 16950 is possible, depending on the area that you live in. They really want to get rid of their 2009 Civic models, and it is getting towards the end of the month.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Dealer trades happen all of the time and 190 miles is nothing in the life of that Civic. It doesn't make it worth any less money.

But, if that bothrs you, I wouldn't buy it. 90% of people wouldn't care.
  • Options
    mikester007mikester007 Member Posts: 1
    So yea after getting so many quote from the dealers, the lowest that I've received was $22,991 for the vehicle including destination charge plus the tax, title, and the other fees. So is that a good price or can I go lower since I'm planning to buy one tomorrow and I'm really stress out from worrying too much =/
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    What are members here paying for the Si sedan?
  • Options
    carbuyer88carbuyer88 Member Posts: 11
    Hi,

I am looking at buying a 4 door LX - auto.

the best price I have got so far is 15,800 (excluding tax and doc)

But this will not be eligible for the 2.9% APR.

Can any one tell me what will be the best price if I want to have the 2.9% APR and the dealer you have got it from?

Thanks
  • Options
    jayvikingjayviking Member Posts: 5
    Just put a down payment on one yesterday
    heres the breakdown:

18,736 car
    670 destination
    1625 NYS Sales Tax
    230 Registration fees
    199 Dealer fees

total= 21,463 - 4,500 CFC = $16,963

***The C4C program has been delayed till Monday the 27th, so I can't pick up the car till Monday

Oh the dealer is giving me the credit AFTER sales tax is applied....Does anyone else have a dealer that is applying the rebate to the MSRP?
  • Options
    redrover1redrover1 Member Posts: 16
    I just helped my daughter buy a new civic lx today. They would not do the 2.9% financing if they were giving you a really low price. They said the dealer incentive of $1000 to the customer is not eligible. I got this from two dealerships. If she wanted the low rate then the car would cost $1000 more. She was planning on doing the 3.9% for 4 years so had to scrap that. Instead they offered her 4.74% which is just a little less than the 3.9% she expected. Not sure if this helps you but I would check around on the financing and then see what Honda will offer you. It may be better to be a little higher on the financing than to give up $1000.
  • Options
    I want to thank everyone on this board who has posted their experiences and pricing ESPECIALLY jjh220. I live in MD and my daughter needed a new car. She currently has a 98 Civic with 164,000 miles. Now seemed a good time for a new car because pricing is so low. I found this forum and began to read and read and read. I was really impressed with jjh220's experiences and his or her template for an internet letter to dealers. I had my daughter read it and she used it. She ended up getting quotes through Edmunds (she just started this process this week) and I think ended up with 4 quotes. Just like jjh220 said Ourisman Honda said where did you come up with those figures. Anyways she sent a few emails back and forth with someone from Jim Coleman Honda and also ODonnell Honda. Jim Coleman had the lowest quote at $15,800 which included freight but nothing else.

Today we first went to Carmax to see what they would give us for her car. $1200. That was the low end of what I thought it would be but perfectly acceptable. We then went to ODonnell Honda in Ellicott City. The person there would not go lower other than to discount the destination charge from 710 to 670 because the vehicle that we test drove had 670 and his quote had 710. I don't remember what they offered but I think it was about $16150. They add no accessories to the car unless you want it and he tried to talk us out of Jim Coleman saying they add them on every car so you have to pay for it. We said thank you and left.

We then went to Jim Coleman Honda in Clarksville, MD. The salesman was young but very personable and nice. My daughter told him she wanted a basic LX with no accessories. He said what if they were free? We test drove a car that made some noises while on the highway so we had to test drive another after that. When we talked money he said he would have to have this approved . I don't remember how but we decided to lower our offer from the amount that she offered in her email and he had accepted. He and the the other dealership told us you can't have a low offer and the 2.9% financing. It was either the $1000 dealer incentive or the financing deal. I did not know they still had a dealer incentive (everything I had read here sounded like it was a previous offer that ended a few weeks ago). We offered $15,700 which would include the freight charges. He came back and said it was accepted. (so much for the other dealer and his high price!). When my daughter mentioned her friend bought a car from them 2 months ago he said they had some deal where my daughter got $100 off and her friend got $200 in I think services!.

Soooo. Final price was $15,600 which included destination. Also the car had pin striping (which she would have preferred not to have), mud guards, door edge guards and wheel locks (I once had those and thought it was a pain to remember to give the little doohickey to unlock the wheels when we left the car for service to rotate tires).

I feel she got an excellent deal. They would not give much for her trade in ($500) because the guy said he heard some noise from the transmission. So we will sell it at Carmax who did not hear it..

Thank you everyone for all your help especially jjh220 whose experiences and template of what to say in an email was an enormous help.

In case anyone who reads this is new.. look at message #8735, 8736 and 8804 that jjh220 posted. Great info.
  • Options
    jikjik Member Posts: 144
    which dealer in chicago?
  • Options
    srav1srav1 Member Posts: 40
    Hi Jayviking,

Sounds like a good deal... looking for similar. Would you mind sharing your dealer name? did it take a lot of negotiation?

Planning to buy a Civic EX-L with the cars.gov program... anyone else mind sharing their EX-L w/Navigation deals.

Thanks...
    Srav
  • Options
    ianshenianshen Member Posts: 1
    hi all,
    i am looking for a honde EX or LX coupe in seattle
    anyone know which dealers better?
    i went to honda lynwood yesterday, the prise they gave me was 19285 for
    EX couple + all fess, is that a good deal?

thanks so much.
  • Options
    cwolf2007cwolf2007 Member Posts: 3
    Looking for a Civic LX Sedan for a family car.
    Received some offer around 17710 OTD.
    Is it a good price or just average?
    I search the true car price look like Actural Dealer cost is 16346
    and factory invoice price is 17711.
    I know I should add CA tax (9.75%) and have no idea tag and plate and any extra should add.
    Could you give me an idea around how many should I add on top on tax?
    Thanks
  • Options
    It is hard to know if that is a good price because living in another state none of us can compare what your state charges (I live in MD and my sales tax is less than yours and my tags and license plates may be more or less. You have to compare apples to apples). If you list the price of the car including destination we can tell if it is a good price or not. Also if you want any extras or dealer includes them mention that too. You can read a lot of pages on this forum and get an idea at what would be considered good for the car + destination. Just as an example if you read my previous post you would know that my daughter just yesterday bought an LX including destination charges for $15,600. It did include pin stripe,mud guards, wheel locks and door edge guards but based on what I have read we did not really pay for them . Her OTD price would be meaningless to you because our sales tax is lower and her tags and licensing costs are MD prices not CA prices.
    Hope this helps you and good luck in your search.
  • Options
    hfaucetthfaucett Member Posts: 1
    Picked up a royal blue pearl Civic LX 4-Door on Saturday in the Indianapolis, Indiana area for $16,278 with the $1,000 off. The dealer applied the Cash for Clunkers $4500 as a trade-in amount, offsetting the dealer price. Great transaction, happy with the price and ease of walking out the door having paid approx. $12,500 with TTL for this car. Probably could have haggled with multiple dealers to bring the cost down $300, but would rather enjoy the rest of my weekend and have the car color my wife wanted.
  • Options
    do you mind sharing the dealer name? Which was your clunker?
  • Options
    swimmerukswimmeruk Member Posts: 4
    I got a civic ex-L with manual for 18,663. I think this is a pretty good deal... Goet ride of a 96 jeep cherokee with 134K for the clunkers deal. I was however surprized that they taxed the full amount before the trade in. That is a swing of 315 dollars... but it was still a pretty good deal...
  • Options
    gotkrus1gotkrus1 Member Posts: 3
    I haven't been able to get a quote under $17,800 in LA County, California. Can you tell which dealership offered you this price? My email is huynhcar@gmail.com. Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi Redrover,

Sounds like your daughter's got a great deal! And thank you for the high praise, I am glad my experience has been of use.

What was your impression of the delivery process? Was the car blemish free? Mine had some issues but perhaps I was simply unlucky.

And by the way, regarding the pin striping - I was told by my salesperson that it comes off very easily with some help from a certain tool (I think he said "heat gun" but not 100% sure). If you give the dealer's service department a call, I am sure they won't mind telling you - or might even offer to take it off themselves.

Cheers,

J.
  • Options
    titus35titus35 Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up my Civic EX-L Coupe (auto). I paid just under $19,400 (not including tax) and got $4500 for my clunker. Dealer was having all kinds of problems sending clunker documentation to govt. I guess it's chaos-- imagine that. I think the money is going to go fast and I had to agree to return the car (or make up the difference) if they are unable to get reimbursed for my clunker. That will make for an interesting negotiation as I'm sure they won't want the car back-- especially with a bunch of miles on it.

Love the car by the way! I had been considering a Corolla and there is just no comparison in my opinion.
  • Options
    ashleyrm1ashleyrm1 Member Posts: 1
    Bought 2009 Honda Civic Coupe - LX automatic yesterday at Piazza Honda of Drexel Hill (Pennsylvania). Excellent buying experience. I had bought my Acura at Piazza Honda of West Chester several years ago and also had a great buying experience. Priced car at 6 or 7 dealerships over the internet (in both PA and DE), and Piazza was best price offered. $16065 (inc. destination). Delaware title fee (we don't have sales tax) - $435, Doc fees/temp tags - $130.00. Got $4500 for my 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE (cash for clunkers) and $50 salvage fee. Total paid: $12080. My daughter is one happy camper...
  • Options
    Getting offer of --
    LX auto
    16278 incl destination without tax, license, doc
    LX-S auto
    16828 incl destination without tax, license, doc
    is that good ?

indiana
  • Options
    Hi jjh220,

My daughter picks her car up tonight so I'll update you by tomorrow on how good a job they did on cleaning the car.

I'm curious, when you posted your experience you mentioned all the car dealers that sent you internet quotes but Jim Coleman was not mentioned. Were you saving them to go to in person in hopes they would beat out the other dealers?

I must admit that with this site and with your template and your "how to" guide on dealing with the internet quotes this was the least stressful car buying experience we have had. thank goodness we live in an area with an abundance of dealers!

As for the pinstriping, she does not hate it but would have preferred not to have it. It is probably best to just leave it on instead of tempting fate that they screw something up.
  • Options
    By reading back many pages on this thread you will see what others have paid. People have done better. If there are other dealers in your area you might get a better price because of competition. We got $15,700 (and then they took off another $100 because a friend had bought a car there recently). I have seen I think as low as $15,5 something. Our dest charges are either $670 or $710 depending when the car came in. I don't know what they are in Indiana. My price above includes the freight.
  • Options
    christine118christine118 Member Posts: 22
    Hi, anyone buy a '09 Civic LX automatic sedan in the NYC or Long Island area? So far, I see the local ads quoting them around $18,900. I really didn't want to spend that much. I'm planning on trading my husband's old truck ('97 Ford Explorer) on the Cash for Clunkers program which I was told at a dealership yesterday is eligible for $4500. I'm not too experienced with buying new cars...so was looking for advice. I'll try to read back and see if I find anyone whose bought in my area.
  • Options
    hxzzhxzz Member Posts: 7
    bought 09 civic coupe LX, 1.8L 4cyl. 5A with $17500 drive off lot price for our daughter. the dealer is Eatontown Kay honda (NJ). the dealer threw in 6 free oil changes valued at about $200. with Obama's clunker cash ($4500, we will miss our lovely 95 ford windstar with 200k+) and scrap back $100, our out off pocket cost is about $12,700. not too bad considering NJ's sales tax rate of 7%.
    bottom line: cost before tax is about 15900 (dest. incl)

good thing about this is no back and forth negotiation.
    went costco car program, submitted for quote, get one quote back from Danny of Kay Honda, that's it. $17500

the list price for sedan is about $200 above coupe, but Kay honda give the same price (lots of LX sedans in the lot)

great buying experiences. i recommend Kay Honda of Eatontown NJ, Danny is the guy to contact.
  • Options
    hxzzhxzz Member Posts: 7
    1hr 30m drive from NYC, NJ Eatontown Kay Honda, I bought Civic LX coupe for my daughter for $17500 drive-out price. (destination, 7% sales tax, $7.5 NJ tire tax, document fee $199, DMV 4 year new plate and registration fee all included)

don't forget to ask scrap back (about $100 to $150) for your clunker. free oil change at the dealer propabably does not make any sense to you but you can ask for something else (about $200)

I was told both LX sedan and Coupe are tha same $17500 drive away.
  • Options
    I am surprised at the price you got considering SE AT Sedan has

-- invoice incl freight 17528
    -- factory to dealer 1000
    -- 2 % holdback 380
    = 16148 which is the dealer cost.

What am I missing here ?
  • Options
    Read through many pages on this thread of posts throughout the month of July and you will see others paying similar. I don't know what you mean about SE as I don't know what it stands for but my daughter got a 2009 civic sedan LX AT. With the manufacturer to dealer incentives you can get it for less than $16000 which includes freight. They are hurting right now and have a lot of cars that are unsold and sitting on the lot taking up space. New cars will be in soon and they need to make room. Lots of good deals to be had.
  • Options
    Ok, we went to pick up the car. Her sales person was off but we dealt with someone else plus the financing guy. We looked over the car and it did not look like it was washed today. there was even bird dropping on the roof. They had a clean up guy come (they are outsourced and work for a different company) with a can of something and a soft cloth. He started cleaning up the spots. The bird dropping however he had trouble with. At one point I saw him take his finger and try to scratch it off. I did hear a little noise. When he was done, my daughter, who is tall (I am short) looked at it and could see little scratches. We notified the sales person who was helping us and he got the customer relations lady out . Also the 1/2 owner in the company (I don't know his name but very personable and we chatted with him for a while on Saturday. It was her sales person who said he owns 49% of the company) came out. Because we are selling her car to carmax and have til Saturday we just left her new car there and will pick up tomorrow after their guys buff it out and fix it . It was disappointing. We will try again tomorrow and I will update how it went. Lucky my daughter is tall as I would not have been able to see it for myself.
  • Options
    zman1021zman1021 Member Posts: 2
    I was quoted $16,525 (incl dest.) plus tax, title, license on a LX-S manual. Would it still be reasonable to ask for it at $16,000?
  • Options
    sorry meant LX AT not SE. Still in accord mind :)
  • Options
    lindy4lindy4 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a Civic LX sedan Saturday $16,750+ tax at Babylon Honda NY. Two weeks ago Edmunds had $1000 cash to dealer. This week it isn't on Edmunds. I beleive it it going away the end of the month but I still got it after it dissapeared from Edmunds. Luckily I had an old jeep and the govenrment gave me an additional $4500, so the cot to me was $12,250 + tax. Thank you all you taxpayers.
  • Options
    Hi redrover1,

Jim Coleman was one of the last dealers I sent a quote request to (it was somewhere above $16k + tax + tags). Based on what I've read on this forum it seemed quite a few people have reported getting good deals from them so I was unwilling to discount them so easily. I emailed Jim Coleman with the 2 lowest quotes I had by then and asked them to beat them. I got a reply from the internet manager saying that he will beat both of those quotes but no actual numbers.

After my visit to Pohanka, I've had a list of 4 dealerships who (I was reasonably confident) would be ready and willing to sell me a car for $15,600 with everything but the tax and the tags included. I still believe that a visit to a dealer in person is very helpful in order to get the very best price possible. I saved an additional $400 over Pohanka (and a free pin stripe that I actually got to like now) with Jim Coleman so I guess it was a trip worth taking for me. So to answer your question, I wasn't really "saving them" but I had a hunch that they would be willing to meet my terms. My original plan was to go to Sport Honda in Silver Spring after Pohanka but they've closed earlier on that day.

It's too bad your daughter's car suffered the same fate at the hands of the cleanup guys as mine did. I too was offered a free detailing if I made an appointment to come back later but I won't be taking them up on their offer. I have tons more confidence in my local detail shop in Rockville.
  • Options
    jimin327jimin327 Member Posts: 17
    Just bought a Civic LX-S last night. 16,700 negotiated price. Minus clunker rebate of $4500 and $50 salvage scrap value = #12,150 + TTL

How did I do compared to those who got the same model?
  • Options
    christine118christine118 Member Posts: 22
    Interesting lindy! I just got basically same price quote from Babylon Honda for same car. Now I talked to another dealer that would be maybe 25 min. drive away, and they said they could do $17,965 out the door including everything, with regular NYS tax, because I said I didn't want to be paying more than 18k with taxes and everything. I wonder if that was the right thing to say? I'm new at this! I would just have to pay the DMV pricing on that. I'll go to Babylon Honda later and see what it would come out to with taxes.
  • Options
    Just a suggestion - negotiations should be price of car + destination = price you are willing to pay. taxes are a percentage of that price. the lower the price the lower your taxes. Don't muddy up prices with extra fees. Also, get internet quotes and negotiate off of those. Read through at least 10 pages of notes on this thread to see what others have paid and how they went about it especially look at conversation 8735, 8736 and 8804. Lots of useful information if you look. good luck.
  • Options
    Hi jjh220,

She picked up her car today and all went well. they fixed up the scratches where the bird dropping was so you could not see anything. We did notice that the driver's side door mat had a grease spot on it so her salesman (he was there tonight) went and got another one from a different car.

About 30 minutes later I realized that no one mentioned about the wheel locks and where are the little devices to unlock the wheels? the salesman was not available so my daughter left a voice mail. He calls back a little while later and says we got the LX and that does not have alloy wheels so therefore no wheel locks. However he does remind us that he told us we were not going to be paying for the "extras" the dealership adds on. I was actually glad she has no wheel locks because years ago we had them on a car and once forgot to leave them with our mechanic when he was going to rotate the tires.

All in all they were very nice there but are lacking in cleaning up the car. Nobody even goes over all the features and how to use them . Luckily we live in Columbia so the extra trip back the next day was not bad. I see that for you living in Rockville it would not have been a good thing.

I must say that even though things could have been much worse they also could have been better.

Enjoy your new car!
  • Options
    pivzpivz Member Posts: 1
    Greetings,
    Very informative thread.
    I live in Atlanta, GA and want to know your opinion on the following deal: 2007 Civic LX Coupe, 32000 miles, clean carfax. Priced 11900$. Took it to the mechanic today - everything seems to be fine besides the rear tires, which are weared off. They made some noise when driving, but the dealer agreed to put new tires. The car is still on warranty.
  • Options
    There are some here who claim to get around 15500 which would be 648 below dealer cost almost 2000 below invoice.

LX auto sedan
    -- invoice incl freight 17528
    -- factory to dealer 1000
    -- 2 % holdback 380
    = 16148 which is the dealer cost.

What am I missing here ? Anyone?
  • Options
    You're not missing anything really. I think that dealer cost is not really dealer cost. they have a lot of cars on their lot and are trying to make room for 2010 models. Car dealers are hurting. There are only a couple I think that have gotten $15,500 or so. we got $15,600 (car + dest of $670). People should have no problem buying for under $16,000 right now as long as the factory to dealer incentive of $1000 is still in affect (or is that effect? :confuse: ).
  • Options
    thanks redrover1.
    The lowest internet quote i am getting now is 16278 (incl freight)

Now I know my target should be 15.7 or lower
  • Options
    You will always get your best quotes if they know you are ready to buy now. If your internet quotes are 16,278 then there is more room to negotiate. email back and say your interested in 15.7. Can they meet that? If not see what they offer and then email another dealer and say that you got an offer of x but are interested in y. Can they meet that? You can go down a few hundred dollars that way if you are in an area with a few dealers. Good luck.