Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    "The Ford 500/Mercury Montego, both being newly engineered models, were built at a newly remodeled Ford plant, and have experienced no first year issues."

C'mon ANT! Your saying there have been NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER??

(SEE BELOW)
    Quality Woes Plague Five Hundred, Freestyle and
    Montego Launch"
    September 28, 2004

Given that these models were launched (JOB1) on August
    10th at Ford's Chicago Assembly Plant (CAP), and were
    originally slated for shipment on August 23rd, dealers
    were expecting larger stock levels by now. However,
    shipments of these early units were halted with
    quality concerns, though many have since been cleared
    to leave the plant following inspections and repairs,
    though only at a trickle.

Internal Ford Motor Company documents recently
    furnished to a well known Ford enthusiast site,
    indicates that there are serious quality issues with
    the early-build Ford Five Hundred, Freestyle and
    Mercury Montego models. While the documents detail
    everything from build costs to assembly concerns, the
    most troubling area that these documents detail are a
    high number of quality issues plaguing the D3 platform
    vehicles.

According to the documents, these early D3s have
    possibly suffered from one or more of sixty-five (65)
    quality concerns, from defective platforms to faulty
    CVT gearbox and paint quality problems. In addition,
    employees at the Chicago assembly plant have been
    voicing their concerns on the message boards of the
    Ford enthusiast site since September 25, 2004.
    However, according to the source, the sheer number and
    serious nature of several of these problems is
    abnormally high, and potentially cause for
    consternation, particularly for buyers of
    early-production Five Hundred, Freestyle and Montego
    models.

For a company that has already been stung in the press
    and the court of public opinion for a high number of
    recalls and perceived quality lapses, fundamental
    component concerns like the quality of Ford's CVT
    transmissions have Dearborn executives and company
    loyalists alike reaching for the antacid.
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Sorry, Chuck1. I apologize. I didn't mean to offend. NV
  • Options
    Apology accepted!
  • Options
    pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    Hey Chuck, I have an early build Freestyle, and I haven't seen any of those 65 problems you mentioned. Looks like they got it right by holding the release until all was ready to go. In fact the Freestyle might be the answer to what they are looking for. More luggage room when the 3rd row is up, or use the 2nd row bench version to allow for lots of room in back, and it's also built on the same chassis as the 500 which got the highest rating and a Gold pick by the IIHS in the most recent crash tests.
  • Options
    "In fact the Freestyle might be the answer to what they are looking for."

While the Freestyle is about the same size as an Explorer, it really sounds like they need something larger than both of these vehicles. Who wants "three little ones" sitting three abreast, especially on long trips.... and then there is the luggage, stroller, baby bag, etc. issues.
  • Options
    lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    The thifd seat folds 50:50, so the vehicle will accomodate the kids & some luggage. Also, the 60:40 second seat allows two passengers & luggage.
  • Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    The Freestyle is about a foot longer than an Explorer.

You still won't have enough luggage room on long trips.

Mark
  • Options
    ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    All cars have issues, the issues that the 500/Montego/FS might have had, are not large enough to dignify a recall. Hence, it's not an issue. As in issue, I'm talking about the general build of a vehicle, with known problems that can cause a cocern to warrant a recall. Or one, where it's just "known" that a particular vehicle possesses a certain inherant problem.

Some examples...Hondas CRV's fires related to leaking oil onto a hot component in the engine bay. Toyota has it's engine sludge problem on the 3.0L V6, transmission failures on it's Aisin AW units, faulty rear lightbulbs. GM has the OHV piston-slap ticking problems in it's Vortec V8's.

The above stated are examples that have not prompted the manufacturer to issue a recall, but it's "an issue" to look out for.

On the above stated article (which I'm quite familiar in more ways than one), those were units that were built, under "build and hold". The article was released for the authors "gloom and doom" senario of the week. He fails to mention that this same senario takes place with all new vehicle launches, by ALL manufacturer's, even Toyotas. (And I even discussed that here, at the time it was published).

Six Sigma combed over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb and made sure that anything that wasn't perfect, would be held and rectified before release. It's like viewing a home your about to purchase, and the inspector gives you a list of things he had a problem with, yet the list was compiled as if were problems across the line...NOT specific unit related like it originally should have been.

This is a normal procedure for all newly engineered vehicles.

A recall was recently released a few weeks ago under: 05V515000 which pertained to a strap that could corrode, for the fuel tank bladder. This is something otherwise unsuspecting and not something a customer would complaint about, rather, the supplier altered the part in a way that didn't meet Ford's criteria, therefore Ford issued a recall for it.

As for issues that are driven by customer complaints, there hasn't been any really to substantiate investigating by NHTSA for a recall.

The fact remains that 500/MGO/FS were surveyed by JDPower, and rated in the top 3 of it's segment on Initial Quality. Hence, the majority of the issues were ironed out prior to the vehicles being shipped. Granted, there's always some that will develop the issue after the customer has bought the vehicle.
  • Options
    littlezlittlez Member Posts: 167
    gorathlives:

My wife and I just bought a 2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x2. Great new interior, 50/50 split-fold third row seat (you can get power-fold), easier access to the third row by flattening the second row seat closer to the floor, great ride and handling, Roll Stability Control, etc. We have two young children, but my 7-year old is always having friends over, so the third row is used quite a bit. Plenty of room for the kids and plenty of cupholders. Anyone who says the third row seat is cramped needs to sit in other third row seats in this segment. We did and we felt like it had the most room.

I heard the 2006 Mountaineer has all the underpinnings of the 2005 Lincoln Aviator. I drove one for a year. Great vehicle, too. If the 2006 Mountaineer rides anything like the Aviator, it's got to be a winner, also.
  • Options
    "The third seat folds 50:50, so the vehicle will accomodate the kids & some luggage. Also, the 60:40 second seat allows two passengers & luggage."

Yes, two CHILDREN IN THE MIDDLE SEAT AND ONE IN THE THIRD. And the 3rd seat folding in half is of no use if someone sits back there (even a child) because it is CONFINING! You want the kids NOT TO SIT NEXT TO EACH OTHER ESPECIALLY ON LONG TRIPS!! (Yikes!)
  • Options
    fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    minivans have garnered such an "uncool" reputation (much like split-level homes here in the Northeast in the late '80's)- just too many of'em and they all look about the same. But- they both are the most efficient designs in terms of space utilization and value per cubic foot/sf. We're on our 3rd Ford SUV (97 Explorer, 2000 Exped, 2005 Explorer), all V8's, and we've bought them as much for towing than utility (4WD handy for boat ramps, and all the snow we get). We have 2 older kids and all their assorted friends, so a 3rd seat is now a neccesity. And overall, we've like the SUV's; although my 5'1" wife grew tired of the Expy due to it's excessive size- she scrubbed every curb from Cape Cod to Maine! With gas prices what they are, and where they are headed, if I didn't need a stout tow vehicle I wouldn't own a (true) SUV. Maybe a crossover,w/3rd seat- but they are still a compromise in terms of sheer space and convenience. It's a tough call to buy a new vehicle based on capacity and seating, etc, but thats what both classes are about, essentially. And I really don't feel very cool driving an Explorer, either- they're a dime-a-dozen where we live. BTW, we had a '95 Windstar mini-van when our kids were little, and while mechanically it turned into a POJ, it was a great choice for us space-wise. Best of luck with your decision.
  • Options
    Mini vans may be space effecient, but the only minivan that did not score a poor in the rear impact test by IIHS is the Ford Freestar.

The head rests in most minivans are completely unfunctional.

The way I see it, getting rear ended is about the only type of accident I cannot control other than geting slide slammed by someone running a light or stop sign.

Mark
  • Options
    "The way I see it, getting rear ended is about the only type of accident I cannot control other than geting slide slammed by someone running a light or stop sign."

I hate to tell you this Mark, but you can't control an accident-that is why it's called just that--an accident!! I have no doubt you a very good driver, but I have to tell you there are many yo-yos out they that can rear end you-sandwich you (i.e. side impact at an intersection). So in reality-the only control you have is over yourself. I guess I am suicidal, I don't even consider the crash ratings when I buy a car. But maybe if I had "little ones" as passengers I would!
  • Options
    An ACCIDENT is when your car is struck by a meteor. All else is DRIVER ERROR!
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    What do you mean by "the underpinnings of the 2005 Aviator?"...wouldn't the 06 Mteer be structurally identical to the 06 Explorer, except for AWD instead of on demand 4WD???
  • Options
    If I hit somebody head on, rear end someone, hit an obstacle, or side slam someone, It really would be my fault unless someone pulled out in front of me with out leaving me a way to avoid an accident.

I feel like I at least have a chance to take evasive action. If someone is going to rear end me, there is not much that I can do.

I've gotten rear ended before by some one who rear ended a car into me. :(

Mark
  • Options
    I've avoided/prevented being rear-ended numerous times in the last 41 years. Situational awareness prevents most (not all) so-called unavoidable "accidents".
  • Options
    electricdesignelectricdesign Member Posts: 681
    I got rear ended once just sitting at a red light behind another car, when this jerk flies up behind me, plows into the back of my car, and knocks me into the car in front of me. I was knocked into the back seat. Nothing I could do about that one.
    I also rear ended another car, I was driving my 93 Explorer down the highway at about 55, and without warning, a car stopped on the side of the road suddenly backs out onto the road, plows into the side of my right rear door, and he rips out my rear axle, I fly down the road sideways with no brakes and no steering control, into the back of another car. Nothing I could do about that one either. I think it was a case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time.
  • Options
    Drivers who think they can avoid all accidents are in denial! And I don't mean the river (i.e. DA Nile)
  • Options
    "I guess I am suicidal, I don't even consider the crash ratings when I buy a car."

Finally, something we agree on, Chuck - you cynic you :P
  • Options
    I agree with the "all" part, but not the "accident" part.

I believe that MOST ctashes can be prevented. It's not likely that the rear-ender while stopped can be avoided.

Is it possible that a higher level of situational awareness could have avoided the crash that occurred when the car backed onto the road?
  • Options
    Although we're getting off-topic a bit, I thought ya'll might get a kick from this: Years ago, I was rear ended by a car that was also rear-ended. I had a '65 Chrysler Newport, the car that hit me was a beautifully restored mid-60's Mercedes (this was around 1975). The huge chrome "wings" of my bumper crushed/shattered the vertical glass-enclosed headlamps of the Merce; my trailer hitch destroyed the entire mesh-steel grill, and the rear of the Merce was totalled. Woman that hit him: falling-down drunk, luckily no one was hurt. Damage to my Newport: none!
  • Options
    2k1olds2k1olds Member Posts: 98
    I am looking to purchase a 2000 XLT 4 x 4 with 74000 miles on it. Looks very clean and taken care of. What kind of problems should I be on the lookout for, and what questions should I ask before purchasing?

Thanks for any input
  • Options
    Finally, something we agree on, Chuck - you cynic you

It was bound to happen......
  • Options
    IMHO
    Ask: What engine does it have?
    If he answers anything but a V8, say 'No thanks'.

Reason: The V8 engine & Transmission are MUCH MORE reliable, they will last well over 200,000 miles with proper care.

Maintenance: Mobil 1 Syn motor oil and Mobil Syn oil filter every 7,500 mi and Auto Trans filter and fluid flush every 30,000 mi. 4 wheel drive is more expensive to maintain at high mileage.

References: I've got 2 of them, a 1997 XLT V8 with 142K miles and a 2000 XLT V8 with 112K miles, both are 2 wheel drive and both run like brand new.
  • Options
    2k1olds2k1olds Member Posts: 98
    It is the 4.0 V6. Why is this engine unreliable? Too much weight for that little of an engine? V6 owners feel free to chime in here.......
  • Options
    pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    I've had 2 V6 Explorers and never a problem with either. About 70k on the 1st, 45k on the current. If it was maintained, I don't see a problem, but I'm certainly not an expert here. If it was used for heavy towing, or if you plan to, it may be a different story.
  • Options
    ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    The Cologne 4.0L OHC V6 unit has been very reliable overall, it's not a troublesome engine. The only issue noted was a few years back, pertaining to the plastic manifold which would crack. Ford extended the warranty on that part if it were to fail. But as the whole engine itself, it's reliable if properly maintained.
  • Options
    03mercowner03mercowner Member Posts: 7
    Bought an 03 Mountaineer Premier AWD (V8) used in March 2005 with almost 19000 miles. Wasn't impressed then by the looks of the BF Goodrich Rugged Trail A/T M&S tires, but they had enough tread I thought to go through Summer and into Fall. Never felt "secure" on wet roads with these tires, and now that Winter is here, I'm researching what is available to replace them (at 23000 miles). They are 245 65 R17.

Has anyone else replaced their OEM BF Goodrich tires on their Mountaineer? What did you choose?

Ninety five percent of my driving is around town on paved roads, but I do have a country lane on a slight grade I travel twice daily (to and from work, and usually the last road in the township to be plowed after a snow storm).

I don't really want to go with an all terrain tire with a more aggressive looking tread.... would like to find something though that is decent in snow, has better tread life, but not sacrifice handling and noise level. When I say snow, I'm just talking 3 to 4 inches of unplowed snow... this is probably the most I would get caught in unexpectedly (as if let out of work early to make the 8 mile drive home because winter storm has started). If it's 8 to 10 inches fresh snow, I'm not driving anywhere until roads are plowed... or I'll drive my 96 Explorer AWD V8 with the Wrangler ATs.
    I've narrowed it down to the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza only by good reviews I've read and photos. Going into the tire store today to just have a look. The BF Goodrichs I have have 29.9" tire OD, Section Width 9.6" & 696 REVS per mile, the Alenza would be 29.4", Section Width 9.5" and 709 REVS per mile ... I'm guessing everything on these cars is computer syncronized, is this difference anything to be concerned about? All the other specs are in line.

From what I read, the Alenzas are being put on some upper end SUVS (Navigator, Suburban, Lexus, Tahoe).

Any thoughts, recommendations welcome!
  • Options
    The 2000 is the style that had the Ford/Firestone problems...I do not know if it was the tires, Ford's design, Ford's reco on Firestone tires, or whatever...

While folks may like theirs, can't you find something 2002 or later within your budget, considering they depreciate like a rock???...maybe I am silly, but I would just avoid any pre-2002 Explorer, IMO...
  • Options
    I little further explaination. I am sure that there are many v6 owners that are very happy with their vehicles and have no engine or transmission problems, BUT there HAVE been several notable KNOWN ISSUES with the v6 engine and the v6 transmission. I've been reading these forums for 5 years and I've read of many complaints about the v6 engines and v6 transmissions. Most noteable is the timing chain issues with the V6 engine. First off, the whole thing is a bad design, with one of the chain cassettes behind the engine against the firewall, requiring removal of the engine to replace it. Next was plastic intake manifolds with leaking o-rings. Then the transmissions had things going wrong with them and bad solenoids, etc. It seems like a lot of trouble and complaints to me. I bought my 97 and 00 both used, with high milage and now with much higher milage on them, and I don't expect to have any trouble with them, and I expect to drive them til they have 200,000 miles on them. I buy them at about 6 years old and I have to drive them for 6 years. I look for long term reliabilty.
  • Options
    Wanted to post actual mileage readings on our '05 XLT V8 w/tow pkg & 3.73 gears now that it's past 2000 mi Around town: 14 Highway: 18
    Exactly what the epa sticker rating was. The highway is at 65-70 mph, no more. I'm hoping as it wears in those #'s will improve a little. BTW, this is a great tow vehicle- I had a '97 Explorer 5.0 V8, a 2000 Expy 4.6 V8, and this '05 is better than both, with no rear-end sag like the '97 and better power delivery than the Expy. So far, no problems to report but it's VERY early still!
  • Options
    "I don't expect to have any trouble with them, and I expect to drive them til they have 200,000 miles on them. I buy them at about 6 years old and I have to drive them for 6 years. I look for long term reliabilty."

IMHO your very lucky if you can have 200K trouble free miles. If you look at some of the posts on the "problems board" you will see many vehicle with high miles, but with the owners chasing "gremlin problems" that can't seem to be diagnosed,and therefore can't be fixed.

I get rid of my vehicles just before they hit 100K and let guys like you deal with the problems that are sure to come.

Of course, the problems are minimized if you have an Accord or Camry!
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    chuck... not too many people are cross shopping camcords and explorers.
    with all the millions of explorers sold, there are of course what seems like a lot of owners posting problems.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Both my 97 XLT V8 with 3.73 rear axle and the 2000 XLT with 3.55 rear axle gets about 14 mpg in town and about 18 on the road, if I drive it "normal", which is very rare. It's usually pedal to the metal, slammin on the brakes, stompin the gas, in all this city traffic and intercity bridge traffic, getting about 13 mpg. The only time it can be driven normal is on a road trip where it can run on cruise control for hundreds of miles.
    What I mean by the low maintenance is NO HEAVY Maintenance, and not much of it, such as any major engine work or any major transmission work. I'm getting too old for that stuff anymore, I don't want to be pulling any engines, pulling any heads, or pulling any trannys. What I mean by low maintenance is LIGHT maintenance. I can handle a water pump, radiator, brakes, alternator, starter, easy stuff like that. The 97 XLT has required a few things that I considered to be quite minor, such as replacing the Radiator, cost about $180 at parts house. Also replaced the multifunction switch, a common problem on the Expl. That is so easy to replace, it's almost TOO easy! And only on $65 out of pocket for the part from the Dealer, not bad. Another minor thing that had to be replaced on the 97 Exp is the Cruise Control Switches, the plastic parts just started to disinegrate and fall apart, I thought it was a very odd, an uncommon failure. I replaced that easily, but it requires a higher skill level, as the Air Bag has to be removed, and the steering wheel has to be removed. Parts were $65 at the Dealer. I think most mechanics can do it if they are smart enough to disconnect the battery and wait five minutes before they start on it, and if they have the correct steering wheel puller and know how to use it. But I could NOT recommend that the owner do that repair, as the Air Bag is potentially dangerous.
    I worry a little about the 2002 on up models because of all the whinning rear axle problems. We are due to replace the 97 Expl in 2008, and that would put us in the market for about a 2003 model. But if I find a 2003 with 100K on it, and it runs quiet, it will probably hold up. If not, I could rebuild the rear axle, I did on the 97. The rear axle is about the heaviest work that I would be willing to do now. OR we might have to make a more fuel efficient choice of vehicles, depending on the price of gas and the economy at that time.
    Overall, I think the V8 Explorer is a joy to drive, has a very strong engine and transmission combination. My V8 is the 5.0L, an engine with a time proven reputation, as well as the 4R70W transmission with an excellent reputation. It's powerful, smooth, and I Love it. I believe the 4.6L V8 are very good also. But I think when I am ready to replace the 2000 Expl in 2011, I'll likely have to make a more fuel efficient choice. I'll have to wait and see what that will be and how the economy is at that time.

Chuck, I don't think there is ANY comparison between a Camry or Accord to an Explorer, they are just two different type animals.
    And, I don't have any Gremlins! No Check Engine Lights! But I did have a Flat Tire.
  • Options
    "ANY comparison between a Camry or Accord to an Explorer, they are just two different type animals."

Didn't mean to say that the Accord and Camry were similar (to the Explorer), just wanted to state many people get a lot of miles out of vehicles such as these with few problems because of build qulaity.......
  • Options
    explorer05explorer05 Member Posts: 14
    i live in a very snowy area so i have instelled blizzak dmz3 on my o5 limited...i went with 16 inch styled steel wheels..though that creates another problem..the TPMS light is on! oh and i love the tires in the snow/slush/ice..great tire
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You may enjoy this thread about a $3,000 error in favor of the car buyer (although Kirstie is trying to get people to move along):

tamaraster, "Any Questions for a Car Dealer?" #14959, 13 Dec 2005 8:19 am

Steve, Host
  • Options
    daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    Interesting discussion. If it were me, I would give the dealer his $3000. I would never, ever give a penny more than agreed to, but I would still be honest if they made an error in my favor.

A while back I traded in a wrecked car with the agreement that the dealer would get the insurance check (it was a $3500 repair on an almost new car worth about $40,000). Well, the insurance company came up with some bogus weay of weaseling down the check to the dealer. After about two weeks of haggling, the dealer let me know that this was going on. They stated right up front that they understood that this was THEIR problem. But it wasn't right and I turned up the heat on my insurer and the dealer got his money. Will it get me a better deal next time? Probably not. But my reputation is more important to me than beating up a dealer (or even merely passively letting him get screwed over in my case).
  • Options
    daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    I see that both Explorer and Fusion are nominees for the North American Car of The Year. I like both. That being said, isn't that type of contest like having a beauty contest for women who weigh over 300 pounds? Yeah, someone becomes the "beauty queen", but would you REALLY wanna see her in the centerfold of Playboy!

(Boy am I gonna get flamed, by BOTH the Ford enthusiasts AND the feminists, on this one).
  • Options
    Yes, I've run 2 of those Cologne 4.0L engines over 150,000 miles with -0- issues, not even a water pump change. They're plenty tough and reliable. But the V-8 will please you more, for about 1 less MPG.
  • Options
    dgldgl Member Posts: 8
    What kind of maintenance schedule did you follow? I rarely had a vehicle that had a water pump that lasted more than 70,000 miles.
  • Options
    jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    I think your right on target. I've heard few complaints about the V6. We have an 04 Mountaineer with the V6. It performs well and I have gotten as good as 22 (almost 23) mpg on the highway. It has plenty of power for running around town, but I'd be afraid to hitch anything heavier than my 5x10 utility trailer behind it. Not so much because of the V6 but because we don't have the towing package.

The biggest problem I have with the Mountaineer is the gas mileage. On average we get about 15 around town and about 20 on the highway. Most of our driving is local with the occasional road trip. I believe on these short excursions the V8 would have done just as well on gas mileage.

If I had it to do over again I'd have paid the few extra dollars to get the V8, and if I were looking at an 06, I'd definitely go with the new V8.
  • Options
    "On average we get about 15 around town and about 20 on the highway."

My wife owned an '02 with the V6 for two and a half years. Thats the mpg she got. Isn't that the same figures stated on the factory sticker? I said this once before and was slammed, but I will tell you I cannot account for some of the "legendary mileage" some claim on this board with these very same vehicles. It baffles me. If it's true....
  • Options
    wcf2alteregowcf2alterego Member Posts: 8
    a Volvo V70T [that would be an inline 5 Turbo] that cranks out close to 30 on the highway and from 18-20 in the city depending. Of course, it is a 2001 and built before Ford started pushing its inferiority onto the brand. I figure I can get everything in it that any of you ever put in those SUVs or yours. Each to their own I suppose. Someone has to support the executives at Ford and considering the company doesn't make any money on sedans they need it from you SUV drivers paying them 30% 40% per pop. That's to the factory, not the dealer.
  • Options
    wblake99wblake99 Member Posts: 18
    Why do people insist on comparing apples to oranges? :confuse:

My wife drives an '05 Volvo S40 T5 that would kick the pants off most cars on the road and gets around 33 on the highway and mid-20s in the city. So what, it can't tow anything and the trunk is tiny. That is why I have my Mountaineer with V8 and towing package.

You cannot compare a station wagon, which is clearly what the V70 is, to any truck based SUV. I see people driving around with their tall wagons with trailer hitches on them and I have to wonder what in the world they would tow with it, one jet ski? I could tow your wagon and my wife's car at the same time and the truck would ask if that was all I had for it to do!

As far as putting stuff in your vehicle, I guarantee that a whole lot more will fit in the back of my Mountaineer than you could fit in your V70.

The other side of the coin is that you probably paid the same or more for your V70 than we do for our SUVs and you need premium gas with your Turbo. In the end you will spend more money to own and operate than we will.

To each his own, but please compare apples to apples.
  • Options
    Why do people insist on comparing apples to oranges?

Because there are more similarities than differences? (both round, are fruit, have seeds, grow on trees, etc.).

People cross shop between all sorts of cars around here everyday. There's a CR-V v Accord board in the archives for example.
    More topical would be this discussion and it invites comparisons:

Station Wagon vs SUV

Steve, Host
  • Options
    If they agreed on $18K, but the paperwork said $15K in error, I think the buyer has a duty to speak up (if I understand the scenario correctly) as they did agree on price...ethically speaking, it seems right to do so...

BUT, most of us then ask the counter-question, if the deal was $15K, but the contract said $18K, and the payments were calculated by an $18K contract, would the dealer be ethical enough to call and say that the buyer was overcharged by $3K, come back and we will redo the amounts...most of us believe the dealer would never do that, altho we all want to believe the dealer would do it...YMMV...

If I missed the point of the post, then my post will make no sense whatsoever...it could even sound like a lawyer who "talks" just to hear the "sound" of his own (posted)voice... ;) :shades: ;)
  • Options
    There you are - maybe you can cut and paste that over in Any Questions for a Car Dealer?, but I think they've moved on. Don't miss the Boise car dealer thread over in Dealer's Tricks - bait & switch, etc. though. It's a doozey. :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    I believe the V6 is actually rated at 16 and 21, but I could be wrong. What hacks me about it is that the F150 Supercrew with the 4.6 that I traded for the Mountaineer got the same mileage. I figured smaller vehicle, V6, it ought to get a little better than the truck, and for the most part on the highway it does. However, I never got less than 15 running around town in my truck. Guess that's what I get for thinking. :confuse: