Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Si / SiR 2005 and earlier

Comments

• I owned a '99 Civic CX hatch (the stripper), and as I recall, the only other model (a DX) did not offer ABS -- I doubt Honda ever offered ABS on hatchbacks. The 2002 Si hatch may be a "first".
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    Yes, ABS was available on the '92-'95 Si hatch. It was not standard equipment, which makes it difficult to find a car so equipped. Good luck in your search!
  • As owner of 1992 civic hatchback, I still have my USA Civic hatchback-sedan sales brochure!
    1992 Civic Si hatchback has 'NA' for Anti-Lock Braking System.
    Only Civic EX Sedan had ABS as standard item.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    The Si hatchback did offer ABS in
    '94. It was an option, though a rare one.
  • d7subd7sub Posts: 12
    Where are the new CIVIC SIs? Aren't they going on sale soon? I've asked the dealers all around here in North Jersey, and none of them knew how to answer. Has anyone in UK test driven the 2002 SI? Please comment your opinion of your SI experience.

-davis.
  • sunilbsunilb Posts: 407
    first off: davis-- good question... apparently, the Si's have landed on our shores but haven't arrived at the dealerships yet?? Not sure why Honda hasn't announced a launch date.. you'd figure that might help sell this bugger.

Now, what about this: the CTR will be coming here (it's been mentioned in C&D and Edmunds)... so isn't this going to just slow down sales of this Si??
    From what I've read, the Si that we are getting is slower (albeit more relaxed) than the previous one, and has shoddy tires. Whereas, the CTR would remedy both of these issues and has body molding that actually make this vehicle look good (a rareity)!! Plus, the UK press has given high praise to the CTR, especially at the price they introduced it at.
  • For the record, the '93 Civic coupe had ABS as an option package bundled with the passenger airbag and 6 speaker stereo. I assume it was also an option for the hatchback. I know the hatchback had 4 wheel discs though
  • swinga7swinga7 Posts: 45
    why dont emissions laws allow cars like the type r to be sold jdm spec in the U.S. but does allow for 10 cylinder monster suvs? now which car is the danger to the environment here? the type r's get way better gas mileage than any suv, they are smaller and not a danger to everyone else on the road, and you cant tell me that a 4 cylinder engine produces more exhaust gases than an suv beast. Whats wrong with this country we live in?
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    The new CTR engine is quite clean, and may qualify as LEV here.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Posts: 1,339
    A local Honda salesperson who took my number several months ago called today and said they would be getting an Si "sometime this month - are you interested?". He then said it was going to be expensive - "$4K over sticker". I laughed at him, and said "Good luck - I'll never pay over list for any Civic". Car salesmen are the worst...

swinga7 -- darn good question.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    maybe at 4K over sticker they'd throw in a decent set of tires? ;-)
    Decent tires and wheels would be a start, but what I'd really like to see are car salespeople (and sales managers - let's give credit where credit's due) who aren't greedy leeches, interested only in hitting home runs off everyone coming onto their lots.
  • tommyp13tommyp13 Posts: 146
    Just wait until the stories start to come out about what BMW is going to get on new Minis as they slowly trickle in. Any markup on the new Si is going to pale by comparison.
    Not to defend dealers, but if people are going to have to have the new thing, then dealers are more than justified in fleecing them. You can't protect idiots from themselves. There's always Saturn... (now, that's a scary thought!)
  • d7subd7sub Posts: 12
    I was that close of buying an WRX at almost list price. Suby dealers are quite firm about WRX. I'm happy I didn't sign on the dotted line. I'm now looking into VW. I love Civics Si. Currently have a Civic '96 now. But I don't think I am those who would buy the same brand twice. I'd say VW just seem to have re-occurring problems in which Honda are not familiar with. I will have to take this risk though. hope luck will be on my side.
    -davis
  • shov6shov6 Posts: 177
    I was quoted a price a thousand dollars below sticker at a local Subaru dealership... And I wasn't even really looking to buy a WRX, I just wanted to drive it to see what all the fuss was about. What a fabulous car, though! I drove a 6-cyl GTI back-to-back with a WRX, and in terms of performance at least, the WRX has a clear advantage. I don't know why you are "happy you didn't sign on the dotted line." Look for a better price.

Not that either of these cars are even in the same category, performance-wise, as the Si. Nice as it is, the Si is totally outgunned.

-SHOV6
  • chem123chem123 Posts: 272
    The emissions aren't always the cause of use not getting "the good stuff." A lot of it depends on crash test results, US safety standards, carmakers who are scared of interfering with other car lines, and companies that don't see viable profit in bringing over performance-oriented cars (thank you general American car-buying public).
  • soberssobers Posts: 496
    It appeared on vtec.net today in the news/rumor section.
  • greenguygreenguy Posts: 78
    I think that Honda has priced this car about 1K too much. The sales man at the car show was saying that there will be a 4-5K premium above MSRP. OUCH! For that type of bread a loaded GTI, SVTFocus, GT-S, or even the almighty WRX could be had.
    Then again wait a few months and they could be had for 2-3% above invoice.
    Even at $19K, I'm starting to blink. When the local sales people started quoting $4K over MSRP, I had the best laugh I've had in months. For another thousand or so, I could drive down the freeway and get a WRX -- my local Subaru dealer has 18 in stock. I'm sure the Si will be a neat little car, but it is certainly not a $22K car by a long shot!
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    it's a $19K car judging by most of the reviews I've seen.
This discussion has been closed.