Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    gwlkzlgwlkzl Member Posts: 4
    Was your OTD price including the 4% VA tax?
  • Options
    sunnfunsunnfun Member Posts: 168
    27500 including accessories
  • Options
    And did include the 4% tax
  • Options
    edman2edman2 Member Posts: 10
    I am very interested in this car. I think they are a fantastic improvement over the bland looks of the older Hondas. My problem is this: It has just come out and I wouldnt imagine they would want to make a decent cut in the retail price. The one I'm interested would be the top-of-the-line 4 cyl. coupe WITHOUT the Navigation System.. When I looked up the prices on Edmunds...it stated that there were no additional options on this model...HOWEVER...they start quoting after-market prices like $500 plus for a front end guard, etc. etc.,etc. and even an extra charge for splash guards and body side mouldings. This kind of ticked me off. Does anyone know anything about this and should'nt I wait a few months until the stock of vehicles goes up and it may be easier to get a decent price?? I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks...

Edman 222
  • Options
    He'll take whatever the credit limit is on your Credit card. If your Credit is good. consider going to the Credit Card Compay and ask for a higher credit limit. Having been a Banker for several years, I wouldn't recommend buying a vehicle with a credit card....the bank may charge you the high interest just as if you were using cash....Better check that out...Interest could be as high as 15%.......
  • Options
    He'll take whatever the credit limit is on your Credit card. If your Credit is good. consider going to the Credit Card Compay and ask for a higher credit limit. Having been a Banker for several years, I wouldn't recommend buying a vehicle with a credit card....the bank may charge you the high interest just as if you were using cash....Better check that out...Interest could be as high as 15%.......
  • Options
    colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    With all due respect to everyone . . . purchasing a car on a credit card is sheer madness, unless you pay it off in its entirety upon receipt of the credit card bill on the 1st billing cycle.

If you need to look at applying a new car purchase to a credit card, you have no business purchasing a new car. Don't use a credit card for any major purchase, the interest rates will eat you alive. There is far cheaper money out there, the cheapest being old fashioned cash, i.e. do not finance at all, save your money and pay cash.
  • Options
    exshomanexshoman Member Posts: 109
    Never say Never.

I paid for my 2006 Accord on my Visa, and got 2.9% for the life of the loan. 2.9% ain't half bad. Figure I'll pay it off in about 4 years.
  • Options
    amad1amad1 Member Posts: 123
    I just received and offer of $237 over invoice on the 2008 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L(standard features, black ext.) AT. I'm the Silicon Valley.
  • Options
    parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    On the other hand, if all goes well, two friends have helped each other out!
    But I also agree with your comments and that's why I like the idea someone gave earlier regarding getting the Carmax price and adding about $1000 to it. Sounds fair to me.
  • Options
    tsx200tsx200 Member Posts: 16
    I received the quote from my local Honda dealer for 08 EX Sedan I4 auto for $21,290 + TTL. The price include dest & handling. Is it a good price? I am in SF bayarea.
  • Options
    Amad..was that for the 4 or 6 cylinder..?? I'm assuming no Navigation System.
    live in upstate New York and we have about 4 Honda dealers around here.....
  • Options
    tsx200tsx200 Member Posts: 16
    Sorry! the price is $21,190 + TTL
  • Options
    That was for the 4cyl. No nav.
  • Options
    Amad...are you saying that you purchased a Coupe or a Sedan??... I don't think you can get a 2008 EX 4 coupe for 21,190...if you could . I'd go out and buy one right now....
  • Options
    You said you got a "2008 EXL V6 4DR W/O Nav. After adding splash guards, wheel locks, sun roof visor, pin stripes, and door and fender guards, I had $27500 OTD. I went with Metal Metallic and grey leather. "

If I can still do math, I get 26442 for the car and 1058 for the 4% tax. Given that invoice including dest is 26051, you got all the options, valued at about $800 for $391. Do I have this right? Sounds like a great deal.
  • Options
    I think your close - looking at my paper work, the car was 25966 (including Dest of $635). Add in all the other stuff like TTL ,etc it was 26941 before extras. I got the accessories for about 500 and then the tax on that so it all added up to 27500. They get you in the extras because the cars was at cost based on my calc's and initially they wanted 1800 for the extra's. I saw others on here that got them for 200 and 210 so I knew 1800 was crazy. My guess is they make their money on that stuff because they were not moving a whole lot.
  • Options
    jdubs101jdubs101 Member Posts: 1
    Is it realistic to pay invoice + destination charge for this car, or am I living in a fantasy world? Edmunds has invoice incl destination charge at about $28039. I am in the NY Metro Area.

Thanks
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Yes, it is realistic! You should be paying around that amount. Even my dealer said they are willing to go invoice on the sedan, but not the coupe, due to demand. Even at that, you should be able to do invoice on both models, just depends on your location, demand.
  • Options
    [Amad...are you saying that you purchased a Coupe or a Sedan??... I don't think you can get a 2008 EX 4 coupe for 21,190...if you could . I'd go out and buy one right now]

I was quoted a price of $237 over invoice for the 4cyl Accord 08 Coupe (black) EX-L (AT) with only the standard features. I haven't purchased it yet. I need to test drive. The one thing that concerns me about this car is that its so big.!! I really don't want a car with a big body, kind of a road hog. I noticed that a lot of car makers today are making fat cars for the American market I guess. I this doesn't offend anyone but Americans are just too fat. So I guess we need fat cars. :confuse:

I'm also looking at the08 Accura TSX which is little bit sleaker in design.
  • Options
    If the demand in your area is high, wait. This should change as the economy weakens there will be more of buyer market than sellers market.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    It is more of a supply issue with the coupes than demand.
    The demand for coupes is less than demand for sedans, but they make so few coupes that they are in low supply nonetheless.
    Coupe demand is faddish and they are very concerned about oversupply once the coupes are no longer the coolest, newest thing.
    Demand for sedans stays more constant over the model run.
  • Options
    I didn't want to spend the money on it but the same dealer was offering this car OTD for 28100 (VA tax is 4%). That does not include the extras but I bet you could get this OTD for 28500 with everything.
  • Options
    jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    In VA this can go for 27600 or so OTD.
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    The demand is not high at all in my town, as there are hardly any out on the road. The dealership is not known for good service or good prices, so that may play a huge roll. I am in no hurry.
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    I am in no hurry.

That attitude almost always leads to a good deal :D .

Unless you are at the end of your current lease, have a car ready to die, or just had one "totalled" by your insurance company, then I would wait for better prices and/or better lease and loan numbers.

If you have to have a car now, a lot of the competitors are a lot "hungrier" for your business and might worth a look, though some Accords now are going a lot closer to invoice that earlier in the model year.

Dennis
  • Options
    crw1crw1 Member Posts: 3
    EX-L w/out Navi. Paid $24,816 before T+L. Great buying experience with the dealers. Feels like we did OK!!
  • Options
    miltiadesmiltiades Member Posts: 16
    thank you very much for all the specifics - very helpful - nice you took the time.
  • Options
    Can you give me the dealership name? I'm in Portland but would make the drive....
  • Options
    crw1crw1 Member Posts: 3
    Renton Honda
    Renton, WA
  • Options
    irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    LOL! I've got to quit reading this forum while I'm eating!
  • Options
    gtr4megtr4me Member Posts: 7
    That is correct, there is a Honda Advertising Charge anywhere from $80 to $250 depending on the region you purchased your car. All you, please include whether your car is Sedan or Coupe, b/c most dealers price the Coupe a lot more than the Sedan. Thank you!
  • Options
    gtr4megtr4me Member Posts: 7

2008 Honda Accord EX Auto
    Sale Price: $22,780.00
    Out The Door: $24,247.05

I know the sale price is 1000 higher than the invoice, but this's the best deal so far I got...
    If I pay with cash, do you guys think I can get lower price?

That's a good price for the Coupes. I would think only Southern California could squeeze a deal with this one. Congrats!
  • Options
    How can the dealer justify and advertising charge? Is that a ripoff charge?
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I've never heard of such a thing as an "advertising charge"

Given the prices it costs to advertise I guess some dealers are trying to add these to the prices they charge?
  • Options
    Some local dealers stick a "gross receipts tax" on top of each deal - without disclosing it up front. This is in addition to a hefty doc fee, etc. The local city and country can charge a business tax based on the gross receipts of the business - this is NOT a tax that is levied on the consumer and not one they are "supposed" to pay. The cleaver dealers just stick it on the deal and expect folks to pay it since it is a tax. The dead giveaway is that they usually charge sales tax on the "tax" they add, which means clearly is NOT a real tax on the consumer but just the greedy dealer making extra money.

When the time comes to pay the tax due on the business, instead of paying out of the profits as they should, they have all this extra money that suckers, I mean customers have paid extra on each deal.

I have seen ad fees on other invoices in the past, but not on a Honda - but I don't get too see too many actual invoices. In my case, the dealer was offering me a car for $0 profit so they showed the invoice and then took off holdback to give me the price.

Dennis
  • Options
    sigp226sigp226 Member Posts: 16
    I am in the Silicon Valley too and will pull the trigger any time on a Accord. If you are ready to pull the trigger, we may go to a dealer together and buy 2 at the same time. The dealer will love to sell 2 cars at the same time and should be more willing to lower the price.
  • Options
    I had this in one of my emails when I started looking around for my car. This is not the right trim level I was looking for but you get the idea. It was nice of the dealer to give me this info and maybe it can help somebody else. (On a side note I ended up going with this dealer once we worked out the details on the car I wanted)

MSRP: The Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price or MSRP represents the selling price recommended by the manufacturer for the vehicle you are considering. MSRP on your vehicle is $26595.00

Invoice: The price the dealer pays to buy a car from the manufacturer, exclusive of hold back or other discounts. Very seldom is this the bottom line of the cost for the vehicle to dealers. Invoice on your car you are considering is $24162.98

Dealer Holdback: An allowance paid by the manufacturer to the dealer to allow the dealer to purchase a vehicle for less than the invoice price.Dealer holdback on the vehicle you are considering is $517.20

Dealer Cash: An incentive to a dealership from the manufacturer to assist in selling a particular model. The dealer cash that is available on the vehicle you are considering is $0

Plus they had a buy today and get $500 off discount at the bottom of the email.
  • Options
    lambulambu Member Posts: 16
    Let me know if any one heard of good deals in tampa bay area!
  • Options
    mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    I guess it depends on where they are trying to charge it. For example, several dealers that are located in one geographical location have an co-op advertising fee that is added to the dealer invoice at the factory. It is a fixed fee that covers the cost of group advertising in the weekend newspapers, radio and TV spots as well as web ventures, like www.twincitieshondadealers.com

Here in the Minneapolis/St Paul metro area, the co-op advertising fee is $200.00 added to each vehicle invoice at the factory. It is a fixed cost and I have on plenty of occasions pulled the actual, non-photocopied dealer invoice as proof.

To quote edmunds.com in regard to advertising fee's:
    "The invoice price does not include any fees that may be charged by the manufacturer to dealers in a particular area of the country, such as local advertising fees, dealer association fees, or docking and storage fees. Edmunds.com does not track or provide such local fees.

If a local fee appears on the invoice, it is an actual cost that the dealer paid to the manufacturer when buying the vehicle. In other cases dealers may choose to write in their own ad fees on the consumer sales contract. However, in either case these local fees are a part of the dealer's cost of doing business."
    [emphasis mine]

Now, if the dealer does a line-item charge on a purchase contract, I would question how legitimate that charge actually is.
  • Options
    twa727twa727 Member Posts: 22
    Back in October of last year, I paid $4400 for my 1993 Honda Accord. She was brillantly maintained, and garage kept if I had to guess. Not a bit of rust on the body anywhere, extremely clean engine, recent oil change, new serpentine. Interior shows almost no wear at all, looks like brand new.

I do think $4400 was a bit much, I think I should've paid about $3400. Alas, I knew I wasn't going to find another Accord like this one, so I bought it.
  • Options
    mau831mau831 Member Posts: 1
    hey im looking around for a 2008 accord coupe LX - S automatic. The best quote that i have got till now is 21700 all inclusive. the msrp is 23395 and invoice is 21171 (all these prices include the 635 destination charge)
    Is this a good deal?
  • Options
    chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I feel I just got a fantastic deal. I just purchased a Gold '07 (brand new) Accord EX-L (4cyl) with every option except for Navigation and inc. Lojack. It listed for $25,679.00 and I paid $21,200.00 plus T&L.

There are a few left in other colors like I purchased.

It rides great. It's my first Honda in many, many years!!
  • Options
    "I just purchased a Gold '07 (brand new) Accord EX-L (4cyl) with every option except for Navigation and inc. Lojack. It listed for $25,679.00 and I paid $21,200.00 plus T&L."

Nice car however you got raped! this is way too much for an 07 and without navi? hmmmm.
  • Options
    Here is the supporting documentation for my '07 EX-L purchase -

(According to KBB.com)
    MSRP* '07 EX-L w/auto, w/o Nav
    *Definitions
    $25,835.00 (my car was stickered at $25,795.00.)
    Invoice*
    $23,466.58
    New Car Blue
    Book Value*
    What consumers are really paying for this vehicle
    $23,510.00

S0 - if I paid $21,200.00 ($2,266.58 UNDER INVOICE) - in theory I could sell it for more than I paid. I must of got so ripped off - I can't see straight!! And this DOES NOT INCLUDE Lojack, mudflaps, and wheel locks all included with that price. HMMM....

No financing...cash deal.

Your turn!
  • Options
    That is what they were paying for those NEW when the 07 was a current year model car. The private party value of the (now used) 07 is $21,460. So you might could get out of it what you paid if you sold it now used. Trade in is under $19k so you would lose a lot if you traded it today.

I don't think you did terrible at all, the new 08 model invoices at $24,062 and while most folks would think the new design is "better" or "more desirable" getting the equivalent new car, but last year's model, for $2,862 under the current invoice seems like a pretty decent deal to me. For sure when most 08 buyers are not able to down to invoice on the new Accords (yet), so you probably saved a good bit over $3k by taking the 07.

Down the road if you go to sell the car the 07 will always be worth less than the 08, but that difference is not likely to ever be more than the $3k you saved and is likely to be a good bit less with time. The only knock will be someone looking for the newer design would pass on your car.

The left over 07 is a tried and true design and should have few problems, the 08 re-do is likely to have more problems over the life of the car. Even Honda does worse after a redesign, but not nearly as bad as some companies.

The mud flaps and wheel locks don't add much value since they would be so cheap to stick on the car yourself. Never used Lojac and never wanted it - if you steal my car please do not get caught or bring it back - just let my insurance replace it. So that adds nothing to ME to the value but I STILL think you got a good deal.

Enjoy your new Accord :D !

Dennis
  • Options
    Dwynee,

Yours is a sensible post.

Thanks for your comments!
  • Options
    [I am in the Silicon Valley too and will pull the trigger any time on a Accord. If you are ready to pull the trigger, we may go to a dealer together and buy 2 at the same time. The dealer will love to sell 2 cars at the same time and should be more willing to lower the price. ]

Where at in the Silicon Valley do you reside? When do you want to do it?
  • Options
    just the greedy dealer making extra money.

Is there away we can gather them all together on an Island and nuke them!! :mad:
  • Options
    KBB price are not realistic dealers do not even use that as a guide.... too late now just enjoy the ride... still sore?