Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

GM ENGINE KNOCK

Comments

• Options
    bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Allchevy is posting about how he is getting screwed by GM. You GM loyalists can try to minimize his problems, but buying a lemon seems to be mostly a phenomenon that unfortunate GM owners experience.

You can brag about how perfect your Chebbies are, but it doesn't help the present poster. Babs - Didn't you have to have your intermediate steering shaft replaced on your "perfect chev"? Didn't you have your rear rotors turned? Man, Chev owners sure have low expectations!
  • Options
    tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    If you are going to "spew" garbage like this statement...."You GM loyalists can try to minimize his problems, but buying a lemon seems to be mostly a phenomenon that unfortunate GM owners experience",.... maybe you have forgotten about the 3 million Toyota sludge prone engine problems. But then, you can always blame the owners of those engines for following Toyota's recommended maintenance schedule. GM has been willing to extend the warranty on engines that the owners complain about and, UNLIKE the Toyota sludge problem, there have been no recorded cases of failures from this knock. I don't think any one manufacturer has a corner on the "lemon" market.
    Tom
  • Options
    I know that you and ObywannaTundra keep posting about sludge. Did you or Oby EVER find a single case of sludge in a Tundra? If not, aren't you just posting BS? Just curious.
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    I havent heard any knock since middle of february when it was below zero.

Temps have been in the 80s the past few days. Smooth as silk
  • Options
    jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    Consider yourself lucky. Mine's been doing it in the heat as well!!! Guess I will be calling GM for the letter!
  • Options
    txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    no hits, no runs, no knocks! Strike that, it does run .........like a scared ape!
  • Options
    lauriet1lauriet1 Member Posts: 87
    Unlike Ryan, I had no knock at all when the weather was colder. Now, I believe I have the cold start issue, lasts about 30 seconds on first start in the morning. I'm still running on regular QS Oil (still considering a change to M1). My thoughts are: warmer exterior temp = thinning of the oil = drains more into pan overnight = tick on startup until oil is pumped back up ? ? ? I have 18,400 K miles on the truck now. I've asked the Service Tech a couple of times about the knock problem just in general conversation and he said he hasn't seen any 8.1 L motors with the knock problem. The 5.3's and 6.0 yes, but no 8.1's yet. Looks like I'll be the first. I will discuss it with them and show them the printed home page from gmpistonslap.com, get it on record and call for the warranty letter. That's about all I can do, and I'm not gonna spend alot of time worrying about it. I really like the truck and look forward to testing it's hauling capabilities this summer!
  • Options
    When a GM owner posts about their GM lemons, certain GM lemon owners disappear! Many GM owners have owned (or currently own) lemon Chevs and yet they cannot get any help! Certain GM owners are more involved posting in Toyota topics about how great their Lemon Chevs are!

I think that many of these unfortunate GM lemon owners could be a wealth of information to this topic. The sad thing is that they choose to stir things up Toyota topics instead.

That being said, my father-in-law bought a knocker. Certain Chev lemon owners do not want to help. What should he do?
  • Options
    Tell your father-in-law to take his Chevy to the dealer and have them verify the "knock". Then have him call the 800 customer service # and ask for the extended warranty on his engine. Then tell him to drive the truck with normal maintenance and I'll bet he will wear out the other parts of the truck or get tired of it before his "knock" causes him any problem. And, He'll be able to out tow and out haul your Tundra while he's at it.
    Tom
  • Options
    "I'll bet he will wear out the other parts of the truck or get tired of it before his "knock" causes him any problem."

Buying a truck should not be a gamble. Why should someone have to "bet"? If the dealer told him when he bought the truck that the truck will sound someone is hammering on the block but the he "bet" it wouldn't be a problem, do you think that he would have bought it?

The saddest part is that when he tries to rid himself of his lemon, he will get chump change for it. Who would buy a truck that sounds like it is about to explode? If he tells the prospective buyer that he "bets" that it isn't a problem, do you think the buyer will go for it?
  • Options
    I "bet".
    GM has backed up the "BET" with a 100,000 mile warranty.
    What's the gamble?
    You get a great truck that will perform with anything in it's class and out perform many that CLAIM they are in it's class. You get a 100,000 mile warranty on the engine, which far exceeds anything the foreign manufacturers are offering. And, you know, if a "knock" hasn't caused any harm by the end of 100,000 miles, I don't think it is really a problem, do you?
    Tom
  • Options
    Another well said post. Go over to the Tundra problem topic if you want to get a laugh!
  • Options
    ROTFLMAO!!

You kinda call 'em like you see 'em, don't you?

LOL
    Tom
  • Options
    nomoregmnomoregm Member Posts: 158
    Some people posting here are either in serious denial, or they are sleeping with the enemy--GM. I am so tired of hearing the Toyota-sludge comparison. Toyota is backing up their warranty: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news02/toyota_sludge.html. GM is not. No comparison. Do your homework before you post, please. Japanese replace, Americans DISGRACE! Further, It would be nice if those who are "On the floor laughing your asses off" would get off your [non-permissible content removed] and provide some links that back up your statements/opinions. The way you kiss GM's "[non-permissible content removed]" leads me to believe you are biased for some ulterior reason, i.e., you work for GM? BTW, next time you find yourself OTFLYAO, reach down and pull your head out of it.

P.S. After you read the attached link, note that it quotes an article from Automotive News, a respected and popular American periodical highlighting Toyota's "serious misstep" for blaming American consumers for its engine problems: http://www.autonews.com/search.cms. I've yet to see Automotive News, however, pick up on GM's Knocking issues. Is that normal also? Sounds like collusion to me.
  • Options
    edetoredetor Member Posts: 12
    Gm did replace my engine with very little complaining on my part. The new engine has been in for 8 mos. with no problems & they gave me a 6yr, 100k zero ded warranty. Are there problems with some of the engines ,sure, but GM has treated me fairly. Toyota doesn't make a truck that will pull my boat so I couldn't even consider one. Please before you post get your facts straight.
  • Options
    I have not got a replacement, and I presume this site and all the others: LS1 knock campaign, Gmpistonslap.com, Pickuptruck.com (knock forum), etc., would not exist if the rest of us got new engines as well. So what are you talking about? Why do you suppose you got taken care of and the rest of us have not? Do you work for GM? Have connections? Which of my facts are you contesting?

This is not a hauling-specification debate between GM and Toyota. It's a warranty issue. I'm real happy you got a new engine. That's a fact. We have got pure [non-permissible content removed]. That's a fact. I don't own a Toyota. I wish I did. I own a 2001 Camaro SS 5.7 liter that I can hear knocking from inside my house (windows closed), while my wife drives it down the street. That's a fact. Give me a F'n break, Dude.
  • Options
    losangelesemtlosangelesemt Member Posts: 279
    Boy I'm glad to see that not all GM owners are in denial or lost their rationality. I honestly feel bad that a major corporation like GM could put out such poor quality stuff and then turn their head when it's brought to their attention.

It makes it a lot easier to acknowledge the fact, when someone such as yourself who owns a GM lemon can step out of loyaltyville and give an honest take on it. Toyota isn't necessarily the answer for all, because we know that they don't cater to manys needs in a truck. I sure get tired though, of all the GM truck owners who would rather die than admit there's something wrong with some of these trucks.

Hey BTW, I hate to laugh man, but hearing a car knocking as it goes down the street from inside the house gets a chuckle out of me. I myself have had a GM or two that you could hear down the street lol. At least there's someone in here that isn't afraid to put GM in its place when it needs to be.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Loyalty has absolutely nothing to do with it. If your truck doesn't knock it doesn't knock. Mine doesn't. I listen to it every morning and hear absolutely nothing that resembles a knock. If it did I can understand being pissed if I was ignored. Then again, why are you getting ignored?

I sure get tired though, of all the GM truck owners who would rather die than admit there's something wrong with some of these trucks.

That's real good. For someone who drives what you do, you sure pass it around now don't ya?
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    This group has to STOP digging at each other NOW.

If you want to disagree about trucks, that's not a problem. If you want to call each other liars and take personal shots at each other it IS a problem and you need to take it somewhere else.

If you can't restrain yourselves, you're putting your access to these forums at risk.

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• Options
    wtodd2wtodd2 Member Posts: 3
    Have a 2000 Silverado with a 5.3 and 36K miles. Noise occurs on cold start. Has been getting increasingly loud and lasting longer. Especially loud after cooldown from hard driving. GM service bulletin 01-06-01-028 covers issue. The noise goes away after a few minutes. I'm sure that my problem is piston slap, as it goes away when piston warms up and expands. The GM bulletin 01-06-01-028 states that this doesn't effect longevity, but I would suggest you all get your omplaint on record, prior to warranty expiration. Also, based on the noise I heard in a friend's 5.3 (rod bearing knock) all 5.3 knocks are not the same. His does not go away when warm. His dealer told him it was the piston slap problem which did not require any attention.
  • Options
    Last I checked, we haven't "fully" relinquished our American rights to free speech and expression. Some communist (not calling you one), lawyers are pecking away at those rights, however. If I want restraint, I'll got to China.

I have spent many hours at numerous GM dealers, internet sites, forums, publications, and engine builder's shops, etc. When someone comes in here unprepared, laughing, going off-topic (my truck's bigger than yours, etc.), and attempting to extenuate what we have virtually proven to be real engine defects, I'm going to debate them.

Further, I don't recall anyone being called a "liar" as you infer. Perhaps that's your interpretation/opinion. Everyone has an opinion--it doesn't mean they are "liars". In your attempts at diplomacy, you only incite. I had suggested that the laughers support their "opinions" with up-to-date, factual data/links and references so we can learn from them intelligently.

I stand by my statement that anyone who thinks knocking pistons/engines are "knormal" either sells the engine or is indeed, "knuts". I learned that when I was 5-years old. Ask any certified "independent" mechanic. You should know that GM themselves "initially" agreed and replaced or repaired some engines--research: http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/gmpistonslap/index.html. "Big Daddy's odor of mendacity".

I will not restrain myself in our pursuit for warranty coverage. Spirited debate is the "engine" of justice and I welcome all contributors. "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen". And if I'm "knocked" off my soap box, I will climb back up. We will not be silenced.

Sincerely,

Nomoregm, 2001 Camaro SS 5.7 SLP all over, $29,900.00 hard earned.
  • Options
    I think i'll stick up for my right to laugh any time I choose. It is too bad you have a problem with your Camaro. Why are you blasting us in the pick-up boards? I have a 2001 6.0L GMC that has the cold start "tick". Already have the 100,000 mile warranty. I believe I would have an attorney if I was as upset as you. Maybe you do. BTW, the ROTFLMAO wasn't directed at you or your problem. Sue 'em, or trade it off and take your lumps. Just don't blast us for expressing our opinions. Start your own web site if you want control what gets said by everyone except you.
    (expressed by a NON-GM employee who has no relatives or friends who work for GM, and who does not know one single person who works for GM, and who owns not one share of GM stock, and who does no work for any subsidiary or supplier to GM, and who knows no one who does.)
    Tom
  • Options
    Well said again.. And you are correct, I call em like I see em!

As far as engine knock.. My '01 1500 5.3 ext cab does have knock. Upon complaining to my dealer, I was told that its 'normal for this engine' and the engine is 'running to spec at this time'. I know that this is bs but I plan to call GM and get the 5 or 6yr 100K mile warranty. I also plan to go to the gm piston slap site and register.

I agree that something should be done, I just don't see mighty GM doing anything about it though. After all, the Silverado is there top selling vehihcle and people (myself included) continue to by them. The only way they will do something is if people stop buying them and go to Ford, Dodge, or Toyota. I mean look at it from there standpoint. Why spend a bunch of $$$ on fixing it when they keep selling??? Do I agree with this concept? Absolutely not. If enough of us gripe and complain who knows????

My two cents anyway....
  • Options
    I have never asked anyone to leave this site or challenged their right to speak--only what they chose to say. Please don't do it to me. I was sorry to see that some of you came here to Yuk-it-up in the face of owners with serious engine defects/KNOCKS and I stand firm--that was lower than an ant's balls. I didn't like it and I'm sure I'm not alone. I'll say it one more time because I don't think you heard me: TOYOTA, FORD, SUBARU, AND JEEP ARE TAKING CARE OF SLUDGE AND KNOCKING ENGINES. GM IS STILL SCREWING US, YOURSELF INCLUDED--WAKE UP. IT'S THE WARRANTY, STUPID. WE DON'T WANT THE XTENDED WARRANTY THAT YOU SETTLED FOR!

Since you asked me to leave, hear this: You have a "Tick"? Go find a GM "tick" site and laugh with them. This is a "Knock" site. It's titled, "GM Knock Site" and it's not limited to pickup trucks. It's not the Tundra vs. Siera site either. If I mention another auto maker, it's specific to reliability and warranty integrity. Specification comparisons don't help anyone here.

If I had a little tick instead of a big knock, I wouldn't need to come in here for valuable, relevant updates from knowledgable participants. It's just tiring trying to weed through all the BS.
  • Options
    Do you have an attorney? I think it would be a good idea to let him speak for you.
    Tom
  • Options
    BTW, I did not ask you leave. Only said if you want to control what gets said, start your own web site. Please try not to put words in my statements that are not there.
    Tom
  • Options
    Also, I never said I settled for the extended warranty. I said I already have the extended warranty.
    Tom
  • Options
    The only knocking I see or HEAR is from non GM owners.

nomoregm

I often wonder about people who in their bio refuse to give out any info on themselves. Let's just say it lends to your credibility. I find that people who like to troll these boards have a bio similar yours. Posts like this,

GM IS STILL SCREWING US, YOURSELF INCLUDED--WAKE UP. IT'S THE WARRANTY, STUPID.

also lend to your credibility, or lack of it. What you're stating is that people not agreeing with you is stupid. Think you may want to read, HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE.
  • Options
    I would need to hire a "dream team" of attorneys and forensic psychiatrists just to understand and verify your specious contributions. Besides, one bloodsucking-corporation's fangs in my wallet is enough for me otherwise we'd all have attorneys--thanks for the legal advice. Let's just disagree and leave it at that. Happy ticking.
  • Options
    Thanks for quoting me. It lends credibility and the quote is true (I wish you quoted the entire upper-cased statement tho--it would have been more accurate and relevant). You'll find the references in my previous posts. The "stupid" usage is actually a pun on the same popular quote that Bill Clinton used to get re-elected, "It's the economy, "stupid". Was he insulting America en masse when he used it? I'm sorry you missed the connection and I meant no offense to either Tom or my other detractors. Frankly, I feel very stupid for having purchased a GM product, hence my moniker--Nomoregm. The truth hurts.

I choose not to post my bio as a security option. I would hope you'd respect that as I would for you. I wouldn't believe them anyway if I were you. I'm flattered, however, that you took the time to research me.

I make every attempt to support my opinions here with facts and references. I've invited anyone to debate me on the facts and have tried (unsuccessfully at times) to avoid the emotion and anger that we all justifiably feel. I make no claim to be an engine expert--I've expressly stated otherwise in previous posts. I do, however, know how to research an issue and I know when I'm being buffalo'd--most of the time.

Perhaps we all need to channel our anger where it ultimately belongs--at GM's unwillingness to honor our warranties. Not all of us are having the same serious knocking problem that I and many others have. Those that don't, take issue with the way that we have been "bashing" GM. I make no apology for that. I'm thankful there are some people out there (like John and Emer) sticking there necks out with some great sites trying to get a fix for us all. I support them 100%.
  • Options
    Well I'm happy to hear that your GM hasn't posed you any problems. Gathering past comments from others, I'm guessing your past GM truck wasn't so trouble free. You seem to think I have it out for GM, not necessarily. Should we find out that Toyota had wrong doing in their sludge case, I hold the same unsatisfaction with them.

I know theres plenty of people in here with knocking/pinging/ticking engines who have put miles and miles on them with seemingly no consequences, and thats great. Like Nomoregm though, I'm not going to settle and say that there isn't a problem with the quality. I've owned almost all GM and primarily worked on GM in the shop over the years. I've formed my own ideas of what is and isn't acceptable. From what I hear in here and from others, these engines and the complimenting service from GM are sub par.

Just to ease your mind a bit lol. My roomate was exiting his Rado the other day and with no extraordinary effort, the door handle snapped in two. So we go to fix it and on the way to auto parts, truck dies ... his fuel pump went out. It gets towed to shop. While I'm there I see a very sharp looking dark blue 02 ext. cab Rado. Guy walks out to get in and come to find out, its my old auto shop teacher from high school. I almost fell in love with the truck right there.

We got to talking and I told him I'm looking for a Tundra. He's a die hard Chevy guy, I think thats all I've ever seen him drive the last 10 years. He was telling me that he was happy with truck except for piston slap and cold start clatter as he called it. He then points over to the rack and I look and notice theres 4 total vehicles. 2 Sierras, 1 Rado, and a S-10. Even with all that said, I tell him, if the Tundra doesn't work out, then Rado is next on the list. We agree it's a nice looking truck, and go our ways. I'm probably not as anti GM as you would think.
  • Options
    Very rational post there, I agree wholeheartedly. I'm all for people supporting good products. Yet this is where my loyalty view comes into play. There will and always have been people who stick to a brand, almost no matter what. Those of us who work on cars, construction, etc. , have our likes and dislikes with brands of tools. If it's junk, we don't use it for most part.

Some of the auto products put out lately are lacking quality. This isn't specific to GM at all. I apply the same concept as I do with tools and much else. If it's junk, I don't use it. I'm not gonna say a knocking engine is necessarily junk, because theres other pieces to the engine puzzle. Yet even with all the complaints of knocking and so on, GM still rakes in an overwhelming amount of the truck market. Getting them to give extended warranties is great to ease individuals minds I suppose. Like you say though, I'm not sure if it's enough to make them more responsible overall. As long as the sales figures remain somewhat constant, what are they really losing ???
  • Options
    I'm a believer that if something's broke, fix it. Any problems with my truck became the dealer's problem also as I've been known to be a squeaky wheel. After serving some amount of time on this earth, I've come to realize that life is too short to make a mechanical vehicle who's problem may take too much effort on my part to resolve. If I believe that it will consume much time and emotion, I would cut my losses and dump the junk. If GM were to replace your motor at this point and time, there are no guarantees of getting a nonknocker. In fact, looking at the odds, I'd say it's pretty good that you would get another knocker. When I start my '00 Denali with the 5.7, I do hear the knock. Does it bother me? No. Simply because it's on a 3 year lease through GMAC and I'm definitely walking away from it at the lease end. It's ok to carry a crusade. I'm just wondering if it's time to move on.

La

My point is this. Everyone is entitled to post their opinion whether it is supported by fact or not. My thing is there is nothing to be gained by bashing GM. Whether their QC is or isn't acceptable won't matter much until you decide whether you'd buy one or not. However, to come here and fan the flames, well, I find that as a nonproductive use of time. I usually don't comment much on other people's problems simply because I think I have enough of my own.

The poster who had the long list of problems with their GM vehicle should've research their options earlier. At this point, with the vehicle being out of warranty, I'd simply dump it and move on. Some say it's not economically feasible to do something like that. For me, my well being is more important than a vehicle or money lost by dumping it. I'd consider it the cost of a lesson learned. Remember one thing when and if you do purchase that Tundra. Toyota service ranks among the lowest in terms of customer satisfaction.
  • Options
    Everyone is allowed their opinions. But we'll just have to agree to disagree on this: We need to support our thesis statements with some empirical knowledge or references if we want to be taken seriously and avoid being challenged. That's beginner's English.

The very title of this forum suggests a fire storm of dissatisfaction. If I fan the flames, I try to back up my statements toward a productive end. I believe that there is something to be gained by questioning GM, and telling our stories. A deal is a deal and they have reneged. The same is true for any car or truck maker who follows suit. I purchased the car on the strength of its engine--it's my second new GM (first was a 305 that ran like a sewing machine well over 100k).

I did plenty of research before buying but curiously, I found nothing on the knock issue. Forums such as these are not on the cover of any web pages that I've found. All the hype is. Consumer Reports and Automotive News have not reported on this to my knowledge. Do you find that strange? These quirks interest me greatly and I like to bring them out in the open and discuss them. If I sold my car (it's for sale), tomorrow I would still post and follow this issue. I like cars.

The media is taking a back seat on the whole deal. Dare I suggest that the major corporations are in collusion with the media? Would the media turn on Big Business and risk losing all those advertising dollars? I learned today that the LS1.com internet petition has been dropped and nobody knows why (at least one of their sponsors is a GMC dealer). Have we been silenced there? I hope its back up soon, my name is on it. Is yours?

I share your grief and I too realize the physical and psychological cost of holding on to one's principles. It doesn't mean you give them up. My second car is a '97 Nissan. If Consumer Reports (I'm guessing that was your source as you supplied none), a domestic magazine tells me that a foreign make lacks in customer service compared to others, I question their sources. And if they are such an authority, why are they silent now? I wonder.
  • Options
    Did they have anything to do with the LS1 petition being dropped? If I was betting my last dollar I'd have to bet yes. They own an army of attorneys. All it takes is one phone call to end it. Major corporations in collusion with the media? That's kindergarten to them....now let's talk about the halls of Congress.

Bottom line is I don't give up on principles very easily, but I do know when to stop banging my head against the wall. There are a ton of auto and truck manufacturers out there. Hopefully one has the vehicle you're looking for. If I was to buy that type of car today, I'd probably opt for the Viper or the Vette...second childhood ya know.

Oh and btw, I've signed up on most of the petitions at ls1 all cept this one cause I haven't visited their website on a regular basis for awhile now. And when I do visit its usually at their anything goes topic.

The info regarding foreign dealer's service department was taken right off of Edmund's just can't find that link. I was particularly interested in following that Toyota sludge topic....course till it got shut down...makes you wonder doesn't it?
  • Options
    allchevyallchevy Member Posts: 28
    I agreed to pay a large sum to GM and continue to make monthly payments on a 2001 truck.It was designed to run quiet on the dealers lot by a teflon coating being applied to the pistons that easily wears off in a short time.
    The cylinders with marginal specification clearances then began to knock.
    This reminds me of the old story of the unreputable used car lot dealer adding sawdust to the rear differential and loading the engine up with STP just to trick people into thinking they were buying a normal car.
    Only instead it's one of Americas largest corporations!Are our lawmakers and elected representitives being funded by campaign contributions by mighty GM so they will look the other way??
    I've kept my end of the deal making the payments agreed on, but as my truck engine eats itself from the inside, GM states this change is "not desirable,but normal and characteristic"
    Enron and Big tobacco had the same attitude.....
  • Options
    I remember when they used to put sawdust in the rearend to quiet it down.
  • Options
    The movie Used Cars comes to mind
  • Options
    I tend to agree with your last post or two. Funny as it sounds, I've made my mind up on the Tundra, but the Silverado would take second I think. I could care less if the magazines place Dodge or Ford ahead of either and vice versa. I don't believe the knocking problem of GM is in the best of craftsmanship. Although, I'm not aware of too many people that have had failures due to it. In the shop we would rebuild them, but I can only recall a few knocking engines ever that had prematurely failed or seized.

With your easier going attitude, it sounds like you live in the Carribean or something. I think Americans for most part will take issues to heart and demand resolution no matter how small an issue. To each his own as far as how much effort in vs. benefit there is to gain. If it's a matter of principle then so be it.

As I've stated before, I do believe Toyota has a ways to go before they're considered at the top of customer service. I solely say this based on the experiences of OTHERS. I admire their recent sludge warranty, maybe it came a little late but better late than never. We'll see what lies in store next year for the "bigger" Tundra. Otherwise, that Silverado remains tempting.
  • Options
    Perhaps we all need to E-mail our local media investigative-team as I just did. (got the idea at gmps.com, message board). Let's see if they respond. I'll let you know. I tried real hard not to sound pissed off.

You know how serious and outspoken I am? Would you believe that a close friend of mine just purchased a new Silverado, 5.3? It doesn't knock--yet. Think I need to read that "How To Win Friends And Influence People" book real soon. .

I know another friend (I have two, Oby), who has a 1-year old slaperado with about 16k and it just recently started to "tick"--hmmmm....

"What we got heah is a failya ta cumunikyte. Some men ya jus kaint reach".
  • Options
    I have 2 friends with 99 gm trucks

1 chevy and 1 gmc. All 4wd ext cabs. Each over 100K miles. Neither has had any problems (other than normal maintenance) and 1 has the engine knock
  • Options
    minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    Don't know how to break this to you, guy, but this is a private service. What does "free speech" have to do with it?
    -- Don
  • Options
    minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    Still put sawdust in the rear end to quiet it down. But only when I'm selling.
    -- Don
  • Options
    Yeah still remember that good ole sawdust. Never knew why gramps kept that thing around. Now I do. Works like a charm 'cept when they try to drain it. Course this was on a '55 Merc like ole Broderick Crawford used to drive.

La

Life is like a game of poker. Sometimes you just gotta fold em. The key to it is knowing exactly when. While I don't live in the Caribbean we do share the same type of weather in the 50th state.

nomoregm

Yes, you should read the book before talking to this friend of yours. Or at least wait till it knocks. One thng for sure, the service manager wouldn't be lying when he says ...they all do that. The 5.7 has been around for ages. Hasn't this been an ongoing thing with the 5.7 and it's pint sized brother the 4.3?
  • Options
    the 4.3s knock also?

Ive never heard of this
  • Options
    xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    My 99 had a small tick at start up - it has been gone now for about 4 months. I got GM to give me the letter - 6 year 100K engine only warranty - but do not think I will ever need to use it.

My 2001 Tahoe purchased 4/12/01 has never knocked. In fact it has not been back to the dealer for anything except the free oil change at 1,500 miles. This is the first time I have ever owned a car or truck that did not need at least one trip back top the dealer in the first year. I have owned mostly Toyota, Nissan and GM.
  • Options
    txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    Several 5.7's, a 454SS, a 4.3, a 4.8 and a 5.3 and no knocks! The 4.3 probably had the worst pinging.
  • Options
    ntaylorntaylor Member Posts: 13
    I have an '88 4.3 w/ 175K mi - no knock (bought it new). My '93 5.7 w/ 100K mi knocks a little during "pedal to the metal" accelerations (bought it used @ ~65K mi). Hopefully all of the recent engine issues will be settled in the next 3 years when my GM Card is max'd. I will also be watching very closely the new Diesel engine coming from Ford next year.
  • Options
    ntaylorntaylor Member Posts: 13
    "I have 2 friends with 99 gm trucks"

Wow, that's a lot of trucks for just 2 people!

(couldn't resist)
  • Options
    When your passenger (a 50-year old with auto experience), sits inside your car and says, "What the hell is that noise coming from the engine", heard clearly over the SLP center-mounted, hi-pro exhaust thundering to speed, I hesitate to say, "that's just a normal noise". I think the confusion here is that the noise is variable among owners and ranges from no noise to outrageous knocking.

If a dealer or a poster here says, "the ones that knock are just as normal as the ones that don't", again, I slap my forehead and say, "Duh, ya think?"

I'll take a non-knocker please. And I don't doubt that some here "might" be getting 100K miles out of a knocker but I wonder if your performance is poorer along with oil consumption, mileage and emissions, etc. Do tell.

Let's say we use the sound clip below as a water mark--which my 5.7 sounds like.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/gmpistonslap/PistonSlap.wav

Does that sound normal to you? If so, for what duration and at what outside temperature? Mine will go for 30 minutes at 30 degrees F. It continues, just-audible when hot. Nobody that has heard my car (incl. two engine builders) considers it normal and all tell me it is piston slap.

Oby, perhaps this has been an ongoing problem with the 350 but my sister's 74 Camaro didn't do it (xcept when I was in the back seat with a black-haired beauty). I've had friends that would beat on new 1980's vintage 350's that never had it. And why are these sites, forums and dealer complaints only popping up recently? Why are most of the entries at the LS1 Petition (now apparently silenced), from model years 98-02? (almost all 5.7 liter there).

(nomore takes deep breath...) Why are GM's own TSB's only now addressing the knocking (since about 2001)? Why have they only now proclaimed that 1 U.S. Qt. per 2000 miles oil-consumption is "acceptable"? Do you agree? Why did all the dealers admit there was a fix on order just prior to the "main office" issuing all the related TSB's except for one (3.1 liter engine): http://www.expage.com/gmtsbs The 3.1 liter is in the Malibu and GM is fixing or replacing those--why? Why am I concerned? I've had several GM service managers tell me it's because of the Internet. Is that it? Did the Internet cause Ford, Subaru and Jeep to have knocking engines also--whose warranties they honored BTW.

Didn't GM have an assembly-line strike in 1997? Maybe scabs and disgruntled assemblers don't cut good blocks. I don't have all the answers.

As far as the gambling analogy goes, I'm a crack blackjack player. I've read everything from Thorpe to Uston. I know how big a differece a small percentage can make. The Casinos don't offer warranties. GM, however, does. Casinos always pay their losses. GM, the largest and most powerful auto maker in the world, has (IMHO), found a way not to pay and they have egg (and lemons) all over their face.

minikin, I hope that you will speak your mind here freely as I try to. I'll continue until I'm removed by our gracious hosts. I hope I add some perspective here at least, before I stir the soup.

This discussion has been closed.