Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A newspaper reporter is interested in interviewing shoppers and recent buyers who are interested in side-curtain airbags. It doesn’t matter whether you bought a vehicle with them or not. If you were interested and at least searched for a vehicle with them, she’d like to talk to you.
    Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Wednesday, July 7, 2004.
    Thanks for your consideration!

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • Options
    claraclara Member Posts: 17
    Thank you and everyone else on this forum for the wonderful advice. I bought my odyssey EX-RES in redrock pearl(the color I always wanted)last night. I paid 23,700 for my van. The people on this site gave me the information and the nerve to negotiate a good deal with confidence. I dealt with Criswell and my salesperson was very straight forward and pleasant. Thanks to everyone who posted and good luck to everyone in their purchase.
  • Options
    lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    Grear deal! But Edmunds shows $25448 for invoice for EX-RES, no leather. ??
  • Options
    claraclara Member Posts: 17
    Yes, I know what Edmunds shows. The site includes destination which I forgot to put in and also does not include 500 dealer cash and 900 hold back. With destination I paid 24190. I wish Edmunds had the incentives down. I knew about it from a previous post on this forum. Thanks Larryhang for posting the incentives.

I decided not to do leather after I saw my kids playing in my current car with match box cars and crayons I realized that I would be covering the seats anyway and would never see or feel the beautiful leather. This van is really for transporting 4 young boys. My next car will be a pilot(something like it)with leather.
  • Options
    bean566bean566 Member Posts: 1
    I leased an EX-L for 24 months. Over the term of the lease, the total of the payments will equal $7,467.46. Up front costs, which are included in the grand total, were the first month's payment of $301.79 and Title/Registration of $224.50. Taxes, which are 5% in MA, and whatever else you can think of are wrapped into the monthly payment. Not sure we will buy the car after two years, but the residual value (based on a cap cost of $25,276.00) equals $19,706.40.
  • Options
    xfactorxfactor Member Posts: 78
    Appreciate any comments.

I have a 99LX 104,000 miles, 1yr old after market DVD, roof rack. Perfectly willing to wait 2 years and negotiate for 2006 Odyssey or Sienna or Quest or if something else is out there.

From an economic perspective willing to change out the HO LX for a 2004 EX-L with DVD.

Brief 10 minute negotiation Dealer 1st offer absurd Where we are now.
    My offer Price+dst $26,980
    Dealer Response$27,470

My offer Price 7yr-100,000 war-$960
    Dealer Response 1,000-1,400

My Offer Int 3.9%
    Dealer Response 3.9%

My offer Tags etc ???204.5-Tire tax & doc fee sound like Bull
    Dealer-NY doc fee $95, new plates$87 NYI $10 NY tire tax $12.5-Total$204.5

Sales tax (8.25%)
    My offer $2,305
    Dealer $2,348-$2,382

Trade-in
    My offer $10,000
    Dealer Offer $5,000-$8,000

The trade-in is most likely a deal killer from my end.

Edmunds TMV-trade-in on a 99HOlx 104,000 miles, excluding value of after market DVD (If any).

Outstanding - $10,719, Clean $9,856, Average-$7,802.

The Van has new Michelin Hydroedges on. Never in an accident, all service done by this dealer.

Dealer called and wants to see Van (Did not have it with me).

Comments on trade-in value, price dealer is asking, Honda Care 7year- 100,000 price suggestions.

Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Those high miles KILL the value of your trade Odyssey. Yes, I know what the "books and guides" show and I know it's "all highway miles" and it's been dealer serviced.

I don't doubt it's in great shape.

It's just that these are near impossible to sell with those high miles and the dealers know it and are offering you accordingly.

You can always run an ad and try to move it yourself but the high miles will be an instant turnoff to most shoppers.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    I concur with isell on this one. IMO, whenever you get over about 75k miles on a vehicle you are much better off selling the car yourself; otherwise you'll definitely take a beating on trade-in.

I'm running into the same problem with my wife's 4wd 4runner. But I've got a double-whammy from a trade-in perspective; over 100k miles AND a 5-sp manual. Dealer's won't touch it with a 10' pole.
  • Options
    subdocsubdoc Member Posts: 1
    Just bought the EXL the other day with the 7/100,000 warranty and paid $200.00 above factory invoice for the entire package. I did not want to wait for the 05 Odyssey because after seeing the spy pictures, I like the way the 04 looked. Looked at the Sienna and Highlander but really favored the Odyssey. The Toyota dealers were really not interested in dealing much as compared to the Honda dealers.
  • Options
    droldsdrolds Member Posts: 4
    Hello, I am also in the market for a EX-L, I have been contacting local dealerships and getting quotes, so Sunday I decide to travel down to my local Honda dealer and to my great disappointment they had marked EVERY Ody on the lot with a 995 dollar "Protection Package"......I simply won't play that game, hopefully during the week I will be able to find a Honda dealer in the Chicago area that will shoot me a straight deal, BTW.....the best price so far for a EX-L is 25,400.00.......Hey Subdoc what was your total cost including the 7 yr.100K warranty?? Thanks.
  • Options
    chazzcage2chazzcage2 Member Posts: 11
    Well, I took the leap and bought an '04 EXL+Navi in Maryland for $26,800 which included mud guards, wheel locks, and most importantly the updated Navi-Disc which sells for $185. Got the Silver color and got it at 4.04% for 5 years.

We also have a '99EX which we bought brand new in '99 and it has 95,000 miles on it.

I was torn on getting an '04 or '05 but do not think the '05 even with the bells and whistles will warrant me paying MSRP again like I did on my '99. My main thing I wanted was Navi. I figure and HOPE this will be our last car that will not be a hybrid and by then maybe their wont be such a premium on them.

Really was prepared to wait up to another 6-9 months for to buy but I took the wife to work today and she new I really wanted it so after work she wanted to stop and look. That was the most expensive "take your wife to work day" I ever had.
  • Options
    iluvualliluvuall Member Posts: 5
    Hey folks,
    Clara--you got a great deal on your Odyssey. My whole deal was done via email at DC/VA local dealership. I posted query via Edmunds and got replies from 4 dealers. I simply went to the lowest quote dealer (Landmark Honda in Alexandria) and over emails they offered me another $200 discount (total $700 less invoice) if I could come in soon. The car I wanted was EX-L/DVD and based on their online inventory they only had 2 left but not in the colors I desired. Last Friday sales person called me and said that they sold all their EX-L/DVD on June 30 but she could offer a similar deal with EX-L and would arrange for a after-market DVD installation at MyerEmco. She said for similar price difference we could get a 9 - 10" screen instead of the factory 7". I called Myer Emco and the price would have been 1399 (on sale) + 120 installation (Audiovox 9", 2 wireless headphones). Labor is lifetime but product only 1 yr. I had to think about this since with the factory install I would be covered at least 3 years and with extended warranty upto 6/75K or 7/100K. Anyway I made the deal with van they had in stock. I did not even bother negotiating further because of their straightforward way of presenting me the best price sight unseen. The paperwork was 5 minutes but the financing guy spent over 40 minutes trying to convince me to buy Honda's extended warranty ($960 6yr/75k) and I did not bite. My wife got the color she wanted (Black). I think that they would easily go lower. My price for the EX-L was 24932 + Delivery+ Taxes + Tags + 289 Dealer fluff. I will say that all dealers emailed prices of invoice or lower and I would go this route again next time. The same day I got the quotes I went to the local dealership without letting them know what I knew and their "best" price was $2000 over...what a lark. They said that unless I was willing to deal with them seriously they could not give me a better offer since I could walk away and get a counter from another dealer. Tell me anyone if you have been able to walk away from a dealer with an signed offer from a dealership. The "other" dealership always want something in writing and the first thing they do is take the paper away. I called them back the next day and I told them I got an offer much less than theirs and they immediately said to bring in copy of the email. I said don't worry, I am not playing into their game.
  • Options
    Funny how that works...from both sides too!

Sorry...couldn't resist! :)

Happy shopping!
  • Options
    iluvualliluvuall Member Posts: 5
    I did not play any games. I went to the dealer with the lowest email price--plain and simple. I returned the courtesy of all calls and emails. I informed them that I got a lower price from someone else and they should remove me from their email list (some generate automated messages) and phone list as I am no longer in the market. I did not request for a counter offer. Edmunds service provided the basis of 4 dealers competing for my business. It's semantics I suppose that I played a game.
  • Options
    larryhstanglarryhstang Member Posts: 10
    Congratulations - Clara. Looks like we got the same vehicle (same color) except I paid 1800 more for the leather. You also got a good deal, too.

I'm sure you will like this vehicle as much as I do. This van is better than my previous Windstar in every way.
  • Options
    Sounds like a great deal. I have an offer for the same equipments for $27920 (with dest. fee), trunk tray, mudguards and wheel locks, plus $500 dealer incentive, $27420 out the door. Anyway, I paid MSRP ($26???) for my '00 EX and waited four months.
  • Options
    xfactorxfactor Member Posts: 78
    Thanks for the feed back Isellhondas and rorr.

I checked a few places and the trade-in value of $6,000 is about right. Edmunds trade-in value calculator needs an adjustment when it comes to high mile cars. The car is in great shape so I am torn between keeping it for another year or trading it in. I have done the 3rd party sale thing before and its not worth the hassle.

We average about 25,000 miles per a year on our primary family car so anything I buy will be around the 100k-125k mark when I look to buy.

In any event the trade-in issue killed the deal. The dealer came back and offered dealer invoice on any HO trim. I guess his thinking was get a HO ex DVD no leather to make up the lost trade-in $$$. Most likely will drive current HO for 1 year and compare the 05-06 HO to Sienna/quest/and decide then.
  • Options
    pete4123pete4123 Member Posts: 4
    Ex with leather
    Price including dest:25312
    Doc fee: 349
    Plus tag, tax and title

Did not have to work to hard, around an hour of negotiate. Sale person was pleasant to work with, not very many games. Would recommend dealer if you are willing to put up a fight, only one in the immediate area.
  • Options
    bill9bill9 Member Posts: 2
    I received email offers from 6 dealers and they are all quoting around $24,200 which is basically their invoice price. Can I do better and if so, how much better? Thanks
  • Options
    tx1962tx1962 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a quote from John Eagle Honds on Odyssey EXL w/Leather = $29,479.00 and EXL w/Leather & Navigation = $31,479.00. Salesman stated he would give me $2,000.00 off the prices listed above. By reading some of the messages out there, I believe I could do better. Would anyone be willing to give me some pointers in a good rebuttal price. Thanks!
  • Options
    b4catsb4cats Member Posts: 5
    Bill9,
       I purchased my new Odyssey EXL/RES the end of June for $1,200 below invoice. With the new 05' body style coming out soon and Sienna kicking their butt I think you should be able to purchase in a range $1,000 to $1,2000 below invoice because dealer gets 3% of MSRP at the end of the year and Honda runs secret $500 incentives back to the dealership to move old inventory.
  • Options
    I have quote for the same vehicle (EX-L with navigation) for $27920, at dealer's invoice, plus another $500 factory to dealer incentive and $300 worth of Honda accessories (trunk tray, mudguards and wheel locks). The price is included with destination fee and $20 documentation fee. It is $3060 off MSRP. And dealer is still making the 3% holdback. However, I got the quote from one dealer at the east coast (New England region), RI.

By the way, do you guys mean MSRP and not invoice? $1000-$1500 below invoice is a steal! I guess dealers can't afford losing money on this.
  • Options
    fdogs1fdogs1 Member Posts: 6
    hi,
    I've been tracking this site for a few weeks, I was wondering why dealers are selling used odyssey' for more than new? Also, if the 05 are a hit, do you think 04's or 03's will go down in price. Asking because I'm in the market for a used odyssey.
  • Options
    digitalusadigitalusa Member Posts: 2
    For anybody interested in leasing,this might help you out.
    Just leased Oddy '04 Ex-Res,24 months, 15k miles/yr, SIGN AND DRIVE, for $310.-/month.
    At Lanier Honda in GA.

This forum has been superb...
  • Options
    Trouble is, in 24 months, people will return wanting another one for the same payment.

Seriously, fantastic leases that won't be repeated.
  • Options
    jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    As interest rates rise you are probably right but anytime supply exceeds demand the price drops. There is a lot more competition in the van market today so the demand for the redesigned Ody will peak a lot sooner. I would bet that there would be some good deals 24 months from now.
  • Options
    Funny, people will take advantage of this current lease and think they did just O.K.

I wouldn't expect anything even close to this one in 24 months!
  • Options
    kimo9kimo9 Member Posts: 71
    Hello......
    I have an 04 odyssey with 10K miles on it (bought in Nov of last year).

Can I still buy the extended Honda Care Warranty?

Also, when I sell the van, is the warranty transferable?

Thanks for any insight,
  • Options
    Yes. You can buy it from the same dealer or any Honda dealers or any third party company until the factory warranty expires. Check around for good prices. The prices are probably higher than the initial offer from the finance department of the same dealer. The coverage is nationwide. Yes. It is transferable which add value to the car when you sell it or trade it.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A reporter is interested in hearing from anyone who really exhaustively debated between this car and a competitor, weighed all the pros and cons,
    etc. Please respond to sbreckenridge@hearst.com or jfallon@edmunds.com with a few details and your contact information no later than Wednesday, July 21, 2004.

Thanks for your consideration.

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • Options
    johndegjohndeg Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Just purchased my 04 Odyssey. All I have to say is watch out for all the dealer invoice crap that out there. The MSRP \on the van was just shy of 30K Numerous dealer were going to give me the "dealer cost of $27,700. I held out a while an negotiated a better deal. I live in Northern NJ so there are many dealer within a 30 miles radius. I already had a car so there was no rush (PS if u r in a rush be prepared to overpaid)

I ended up paying $26,470 plus tax 99 NJ Reg and 104 document prep fee. I got the color I wanted with no hassles.
  • Options
    pgillpgill Member Posts: 84
    Can you post which dealership you purchased your van? I am looking to purchase the same van in Northern NJ. Thanks.
  • Options
    lotharlothar Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday I ended a 3-day negotiation on an '04 LX. Time consuming and stressful...even with considerable research and buying "tips" in hand. I live in southeastern Wisconsin and bought at a Milwaukee-area dealership. I got the price to 22,900. Added CD and Keyless for an extra $650...even though I tried hard to get them to throw both in (they initially said that they would cost an extra $800 plus). I wanted them to pay off the remaining 7 mos. of my Accord lease, but they would only pay 6 mos. of this (coming out to just under $1500)---this was another sticking point. I have a feeling when the '05's start arriving I'm going to see better deals on the '04 and start kicking myself for not waiting a little longer to buy (i.e. EX model being sold for what I paid for the LX or lower prices for the LX). On the other hand, I didn't want to wait too long. Purchased the Odyssey over the Sienna because we are so used to Hondas...felt very comfortable. Plus price was a factor and there wasn't a lot of wiggle room at the Toyota dealership. Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated.
  • Options
    abcguy28abcguy28 Member Posts: 10
    Just purchased our first Honda ever, the 2004 Odyssey EX-L for $24,767 + TTL. Did everything over the internet. This dealership was willing to match a quote I received elsewhere. Willing to give same price to others. They have quite a few Odyssey left. I got the Silver color. This is the second vehicle (other was a Hyundai) I have purchased via internet after utilizing the info I've read on these forums. Thanks.
    I also had a quote for EX-L with DVD for 26300.
  • Options
    rbell2rbell2 Member Posts: 180
    Congratulations on the price. Does that include delivery and any added doc fees?? If it does, that is probably the best price I have seen on this board for an EX-L. I paid $26,700 in 9/03.

For that price, it is hard to imagine anyone buying a Sienna with similar options for several thousands more (especially since the '04 Ody and '04 Sienna are essentially viewed as a "dead heat" by most consumers and car rating services).
  • Options
    extra330extra330 Member Posts: 2
    I just started yesterday on my shopping with edmunds help. Today I got a quote for 24777, another for 26126 and 2 other emails letting me know that someone will call me. The 24777 has an expiration date (7/17/04) but I don't think that will be a problem. Overall a good start I would think.
    I just need to find who has the color I want and go from there.
  • Options
    rxguyrxguy Member Posts: 13
    Which dealer was this? Does it include delivery and any added doc fees? I am looking in Westchester NY for an EXL and would like to use this a leverage in negotiating with my local dealers.

Thanks!

David
  • Options
    Quote of 24767 included delivery charges. Doc fees was $20, I think (I'm at work right now so I don't have the info in front of me.) Total out the door was $27079.99. Dealer also threw in wheel locks without my knowledge:) If you need more info, let me know.
  • Options
    extra330extra330 Member Posts: 2
    The dealer is Open Road Honda in Edison. I'm not sure what he includes
    with the 24777. In his quote he mentioned 28490 as the MSRP so I have a hunch his quote doesn't include the destination charge. I'll clarify that in a bit.
  • Options
    pgillpgill Member Posts: 84
    I got a quote from them before and their quotes never include the destination charge, apparently. They also charge $162 documentation fee and $121 DMV fee, both of which I think is a bit higher than normal.
  • Options
    rxguyrxguy Member Posts: 13
    With the $162 documentation and $490 destinations added this is in the same ballpark that I have been seeing...still a pretty good deal!

David
  • Options
    hbcsc153hbcsc153 Member Posts: 27
    Hi Steve or anyone:

Does anyone have the delivery checklist. I am picking up an Odyssey today.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Emil
  • Options
    zeemanzeeman Member Posts: 2
    I was able to negotiate a purchase price of 26,650 on an EXL-RES with Honda of Nanuet. Everything was done via e-mail and the phone. The experience was by far the best of any dealership I'd talked to in my pursuit of the Odyssey. The only extras on the number were TT&L (New Jersey Tax) which brought the OTD price to a shade under 28,500. I had several dealerships that played games with destination fees, etc. My sales rep was a straight shooter and he threw in wheel locks as well. They are definitely worth a try if you live in the Northern New Jersey/Rockland County areas. Use the Honda of Nanuet website in order to get a quote. Many thanks to the users of this website. It was a powerful resource in terms of negotiating price.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The link I used to have died. This one isn't specific to the Odyssey and not as detailed as I'd like to see:

Inspecting and taking possession of your new car

Steve, Host
  • Options
    khanhkhanh Member Posts: 4
    Can you tell me which dealer you bought it from. I'm in the market for one and I live in the Bay Area.

Thanks
  • Options
    buy_odysseybuy_odyssey Member Posts: 3
    I am looking for a nice deal to buy an 2004 Odyssey in Northern CA, Bay Area. I am looking for an LX model, but can go for EX if its within 25 K on Road.

Any leads appreciated
  • Options
    I purchased my 2004 EX-L last weekend from Winter Honda in Antioch. The Internet Sales Manager I dealt with was very straight forward. Met him and went straight out to the lot, picked the van and test drove it, came back and did the paper work. No haggling or games. He told me that he will offer the same quote of 24767 for the EX-L to others whom I refer. I was looking for the Silver color and they had quite a few on the lot as well as other colors. The total out of door price was $27079.99 (Your actual price may vary depending on where you live and your tax rate. I live near Sacramento.) I also purchased the extended warranty 7 years/75k miles/50 deductible for $1050 (negotiated from 1600.) As I stated, this is my first Honda and we like it very much. I have spoken to several Honda dealership and none were willing or able to match Winter's quote. If you would like the salesperson's name and number, please email me.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Congrats on the new Ody. Your email is marked private in your profile, but I suspect that Winter only has one internet person on staff anyway.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    jjuejjue Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking to buy a 2004 Odyssey EX-L in DFW area. Any recommended dealerships or sales persons?

Thanks!
  • Options
    johndegjohndeg Member Posts: 2
    DCH paramus!!! Just walk out the door if they ask for a penny more!! And leave your #, because they will call back!!