Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corvettes and all things about them

Comments

• starrow68starrow68 Posts: 1,142
    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050613/dem041.html?.v=5

Pretty amazing, say $70k with what you need to run on the track without any of the extra weight that might just slow you down. Of course that's in Blue, extra cost option!
    Randy
  • gbjerkegbjerke Posts: 158
    Randy--
    Agreed, a TON of content and I just hate drooling all over my keyboard with my absolute lust for this sled...and I will have one...just depends on how greedy (read instant gratification) I need here. Jump in early and pay list, or hang in there for the discounts/rebates.
    Of interest here is the fact that a number of dealers are selling at sticker..NOW!
    When the first Z hit in '01 it was sticker+. This one is a gonzo upgrade and to see the C6 version at sticker is a bit surprising. Suspect discounts will be early. GM is pricing real close to 911 territory and that is some serious competition from a resale standpoint as Vettes historically drop like a rock.
    I'd love to be driving one this fall...then again, next spring may not be all bad if I can save 5k+.
    I don't think the price is really the issue. I, at this point, don't know that I could handle this rocket. I put oversized rubber on my coupe and I have very little oversteer issue and although I pass most everything at HPDE's it is still something that a modest driver can control. This C6 Z06 is a race car for the street and I'm thinking many with money will take it out and wreck it very soon. Like the Carrera GT that lost it at Pomona a week ago I think this may just be too much for many who have the money but not the skill. Call me a kill joy but I'd want to be very careful in one of these and I'm not sure I'm all that disciplined. Think I'll watch for a bit and I'm guessing that there will be some garage queens that sit around mostly for a year and may be on the market, of course there will be lots of buyers.
    Randy
  • jmessjmess Posts: 677
    I'm with starrow68, there are going to be some bent Z06s. The C5 and C6 are plenty fast and need to driven with respect/fear and good judgment. Add in more power with the C6 Z06 and you need to add in even more respect and judgment. The stability control system should help keep some folks on the road at rational speeds; as long as you don't find something that can't move out of the way.
  • gbjerkegbjerke Posts: 158
    Well, I'm not a street racer but do enjoy HPDE's. However. I am old enough to be fairly conservative. Would love 505 ponies for the straights and the idea of having 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears sure will help in the slowing down bit.
    Old boys and toys----can't beat it.
    Guess I'm going to have to get just a bit older. The $65.8k base cost with needed options will get very close to $70k before tax and licence. When you compare that to a C6, Z51, and similar options you can get it for under $50k, say $48k currently and that $20k+ premium is a lot for lower lap times. The prior Z06 was about $7k for 55 ponies or 15%, vs. 105 ponies or 25%+. I don't even consider the street view as a factor, if I've got it I'm going to use it and don't much care what the outside view is. Interesting analysis, but my basic view is that some who can afford it will not take classes and hopefully do no more than put it in a wall learning on the job. Don't get me wrong, the price is a fantastic deal compared to similar performance rides, the base C6 is just a little better "deal" currently.
    Randy
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    Video: 2006 Corvette Z06
    When the 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 hits this fall, General Motors says it will be the quickest and fastest production car it has ever produced.

Follow-Up Test: 2005 Corvette Convertible
    2005 Corvette Convertible: Still blazing after all these years.

Claire

HOST

The muted praise for the C6 on the other hand is underwhelming. Of all the vert reviews that is the first I remember with complaints about the flex in the body. Since I don't have experience with 'better' shifters I guess I don't know what I'm missing. As cool as the no syncro shifting is in the formula mazda, upshifting doens't require a clutch after a day of practice, but I still think I'll take the Vette.

VIR looks like a kick of a track, hope to some day get a try there.

Randy
  • lastc4lastc4 Posts: 12
    Starrow68 - Your 95 C4 comment caught my eye. Just bought a 96 C4 LT1. When you put it in reverse there is a huge (Loud) clunk coming from what appears to be the Driver side wheel.

Kinda like in the early C4 years when you were missing a caliper clip. I pulled the wheel and inspected the clip and caliper. Rotor seems fine. No one, No one can seems to find the cause.

New to GA so I don't have a good wrench. Have you seen or heard of this issue. Bought the car from American Sports Car here locally and they are stumped.
    All/Any Help welcome - LASTC4 :confuse:
    I don't know any cars that well, especially the C4 which I drove for a year and sold with nothing more than oil changes. However, try the Magazine Vette, I think the site is vetteweb, but not sure. They seem to answer lots of questions on older Vettes and have experts since those cars are now going the way of the hot rod in some cases. Good Luck,
    Randy
    Thank You Sir, that was my plan also - to drive for a year and trade up. I can't believe I am the first to encounter this. Searched all recalls and bulletins. I will try Magazine Vette.

I'll be back, maybe we can get a C4 Thread going. Last C4
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Posts: 960
    Geez-- I saw an ad for a Mecum Auction in the latest Corvette Enthusiast mag, and looked at them on the net. They had an auction coming up that must have had 75 of the greatest looking Vettes I have ever seen. Wish I had the money to bid on a few. Awesome older Vettes. Love the coves. :shades:
  • xkssxkss Posts: 722
    The race was great to watch on the Speed channel.

The Corvette C6-Rs went 1-2 for the fourth time in the last five years.

They beat one Ferrari 575 GTC, several Ferrari 550s, and two factory Aston Martin DBR9s.

:shades:
    http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view.asp?cid=28&nid=113599

Got some typically dry British humor in the comments. Good read.
    L. - I own a 96 C4 and it is my 5th Vette the first in this generation. I wasn't ready for the 97 C5 being a Vette lifer.

Read cover to cover "All Vette's are Red" several times, in an attempt to get similar guidance as you requested. All comments here are fair. There in No question, the technology of the C5 is wonderful and artfully applied.

Be careful of low miles 97 - 99 models. To gain lower drag Cof. in prototype years the front end was lowered to tight specs. The development team did achieve their objective however the resultant drive train angles in some veh. has been problematic.

Heck the C4 platform is a great start if you are new to this sports cars. Normal Maint. cost to be expected. I do get 19/24 MPG in a rocket ship so I am pretty well pleased. Water pump - 40K, Wheel Bearing, tires the only real issue I have.

Good luck in your search - LAST C4
  • dl1003dl1003 Posts: 2
    Hi, was wondering what the best way to store my second roof panel for my 2004 Vette was? :confuse:

Thanks!
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 154
    Glass top or painted???
    Probably either/or, since if you have two you might want the clear when it's cooler and the painted when it's hot, at least that's what the wife is doing. We just stand the off top in the closet with a beach towel over it. No issues for the past year.
  • jmessjmess Posts: 677
    I bought one of the GM top bags so I can hang it up on some hooks in my garage. So far I haven't got around to installing the hooks. The wife made me move the top out of the living room. So I found the next best place to be our bedroom :-)