Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corvettes and all things about them

Comments

• motorhead1motorhead1 Posts: 111
    I also bought a top bag, it fits perfect under the bed. I also wondered about the tops , does the painted one go on in the summer or the glass. In the hottest part of the summer with the glass top on it is very hard to cool my car but I can put the painted one on and it alot easier to cool. I guess the glass is for cooler weather.
  • dl1003dl1003 Posts: 2
    Hi-either or :D
    Ive noticed the glass one heats things up pretty fast. I read in the owners manual about not storing it standing on its side etc because it will damage the weather stripping so I have the painted one upside down in the spare bedroom and the glass one when not in use in the back with a top cover. My luck putting it on hooks it would fall off. :cry:
    Thanks for the tips.
    Another question-what do you use to clean the glass one?
    Thanks again!
  • starrow68starrow68 Posts: 1,142
    We have been using just water and cloth towels except when it's on the car for a wash and it sees some soap, Zaino. Never touch it with paper towels used on the windows. Thanks for the reminder about standing it on its side, the closet under the stairs happend to have room to lay it flat. The clear top is really great in the winter on clear nights returning from places with fewer lights. It does get things too hot for me during summer days.
    Randy
    Can anyone out there tell me something about the horsepower on the C5s. Did all of the engines have 345 horsepower from 1997 to 2004? Thanks
  • c5_4func5_4fun Posts: 59
    No, the C5 went to 350hp in 2001.
    The HP went from 345 to 350 and in addition the torque went from 350 in the 2000 model year to 360 for the auto and 375 for the 6sp. Never have heard why the tranny makes a difference in torque output of an engine which is presumably measured at the engine and not at the rear wheels are someplace after the tranny.
    Thanks for the info. I now have a 1991 C4 with 22500k on it and I am looking to go up to a C5 but I didn`t know if there was any difference in horsepower in the C5s. I wonder if you can tell any difference in the 5 hp and torque between the 2000 and 2001?
    But, there were issues in the first couple years that got addressed in tech service bulletins and recalls but are fixed in the later years. Not untrue of most models.

Randy
  • henshaw1henshaw1 Posts: 1
    I am new to the world of vette ownership and bought a 95 coupe. LT1 motor, The problem is that the car runs a little hot, no higher than 230 degrees. The upper hose does not get soft indicating that the thermostat is not opening? So I changed the thermostat and no change to the problem. The cooling fans kick in at 220 degrees or so. Do I need a flush or maybe the water pump is bad? 74,000 miles on the thing. Any suggestions before I take it to a repair guy and he takes my arm and leg for something simple?
  • gbjerkegbjerke Posts: 158
    SOTP, you will feel nothing.
    I went from a 385 HP Z06 to a 405 HP ('01 to '03) and felt nothing different. Suspect the 20 extra ponies did something but it was so miniscule you could not "feel it". 5 ponies is nothing.
  • lastc4lastc4 Posts: 12
    Don't Laugh dl1003. I have both roofs which was an option - in the 96 C4. One roof I store in a card table box lined w/ Pampers. Should work for your 04. Sorry for the delayed reply.
    The last C4.
    Henshaw - Try this. The 95 is a bottom breather. Get under the nose and check for radiator blocking. Even bugs will do it. With a soft brush and a soft Jet of water you can scrub the radiator.

Recently I had a fellow share, that the C4 behaves, our years (95 -96) the opposite of how you would naturally think when it comes to running temp. He suggested I turn the AC on and the fan would actually lower the temp. I did and I was surprised.

You'd know if you needed a water-pump it sounds like a box of rocks. Good idea to change the therm. Lemmie check some more and see if I can find any old GM Service updates or Dealer notices.

The Last C4
  • kedvale76kedvale76 Posts: 3
    Im thinking about financing a 1998-2000 corvette. I live in Denver,CO. with deep snow and slush.Should i get a vette considering the low ground clearance of the corvette?PLEASE HELP!!
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 154
    For the amount of snow Denver gets I would say no. Here in Nashville we might get 1-2 inches a year, but it's gone the next day. You need to remember the ground clearance on a Vette is maybe 4.5 inches......That's what 2 hours worth of snow in Denver? Plus the wide tires are not the most traction friendly.
    I would still get the Vette and put it away for the winter, and take her out when the snow melts!
    ndmike8 - Agree. Always had a Vette so I can appreciate how bad you want one. Here in Atlanta the weather not a problem but the roads are. A mere divot or pot
    hole will tear the bottom foil right off.

Recently had to re-do my driveway curb just to get the vette in the drive. Just one mans view, Cheer's The Last C4. 4.5 inches, is it even that much ?
  • kedvale76kedvale76 Posts: 3
    Thanks fellas,not really what i wanted to hear but i appreciate the honesty.Guess ill have to move to Pheonix or suffer hear in Denver.What would be the next best thing for year around travel here in Colorado,for around 25k-30k????
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 154
    Come on down to Nashville!!! Plenty of room and great weather. You can drive a Vette 11.5 months a year.
    Oh come on guys, there are Vettes in Buffalo, NY. The snow in Denver sticks around for a couple days, not much more, if my experience in Colorado Springs is any thing to credit. Sure you don't want to drive it in deep snow or icy conditions but you can always figure out a solution with a little creativity. Go to rent a wreak when ever there is a big storm inbound. The Vette is just too much fun to pass up!
    Randy
    Oh go buy the Vette - looks like us warm climate guys got out voted. Rent a wreck and buy a Vette. Hey a new slogan for GM. - THE LAST C4
  • zecalzecal Posts: 2
    My '96 Vet temp gauge went to 261 F yesterday with outside temp at 92 F.
    Recently flushed the radiator, cleaned the intake and replaced the sensor. Still running very hot.
    Any suggestions?