Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Toyota 4Runner Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    jcliffrojcliffro Member Posts: 108
    So does your name mean you ride in Pegasus here in New Orleans?
    With regard to your new purchase, I calculate that allowing $250 as the cost of that unwanted Toyo Protection Package, and assuming running boards are standard (aren't they?) that the dealer probably made about $695 on the vehicle, including their $299 admin fee, unless there were any other options like the leather steering wheel that I thought came on all SR-5s. Anyway, that does not sound like a bad price especially if you like the dealer.
    I would not mind traveling to Mobile to pick up a new vehicle, so thanks for the tip on that dealer. I believe I am going to have to special order and that will be a lot more of a headache and why I have continued to postpone the purchase.
  • Options
    sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    daakkoo: I bought and service my '03 Runner at Fred Anderson.

I paid $799 for a 5yr, 75,000 bumper to bumper warranty using the same terms as you described. I have a SE, V8 4x4. Get them down on price. And get it in writing.

BTW...I have a love/hate relationship with the service department. Some days good, other days it's worse than Jiffy Lube. Stay away from Toy of Durham like the plague. They are pure evil.
  • Options
    gfrancesgfrances Member Posts: 1
    Since I use every ones buying experience here to purchase my 4Runner, I thought I would give what I paid for my recent purchase.
      I was looking for a V6 but since the dealer didn't have any readily available and didn't want to let me leave, they decided to sell me one that was supposedly already marked for another customer. I guess it's first come first serve. Anyway, I ended up getting a Titanium V8 Sport with
    Sunroof
    DDCargo
    Upgraded JBL
    Preferred Acces pkg
    I was happy with the price of 31,400. Bought it in Devon, PA.
    The Dealer was decent and I am as thrilled with the ride and power as I thought I would be.
    I traded my 974Runner with 96,000 miles on it.

Thanks to all who have posted here with their experiences and advice.
    Drive safe
    PS. Anyone know where I can get a nice looking front push bar with brush guards for the 04 Runner?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's one report:

corancher "Toyota 4Runner Accessories" Jan 12, 2004 3:02am

Please continue the mod talk over there - thanks, and enjoy the new 4Runner!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    toytruck2toytruck2 Member Posts: 2
    Recently purchased 03 Limited V8 Titanium with:Rear Spoiler,X Reas, Sun roof, JBL six disc(EJ),Dtr. lights,mats and cargo nets,Side curtain air bags,Hood Protector on Dec.16,2003. MSRP on sticker $40,400. plus Hood Protector $100. total $40500. Paid $34,000. plus NJ DMV fees and 6% sales tax.I know it has depreciated with the 04's out there but I plan on keeping it for at least ten years.No trade in I wanted to keep the deal simple and unclouded.When I declined the extended warranty and Lojac repeatedly they offered me to lower my finance from 3.95% to 3.45% five year rate if I had Lojac put in. It raised my payment by $1.50 per month but increased my insurance discount $40. per year{$3.40 per month} . With no cost to me I said yes and the deal was complete. Three miles on vehicle. 1990 Forerunner for sale V6 auto red sunroof runs excelent some rust grey cloth interior perfect,new tires,exhaust and radiator $3900. PS. I did not see enough changes between the 03 and 04 model{tire pressure monitor ?} to justify $3000. more and 04 Limited V8 was imposible to find in NJ. in December.
  • Options
    floeva09floeva09 Member Posts: 20
    Ok! I hope someone can help calm my nerves. This will help me make an educated choice when I purchase. I went to the Toyota dealership in Denver to test drive a 04 Camry, worked my way up to the 4Runner. I have several questions, so work with me. I work for an airline so I can fly anywhere in the U.S. to purchase a 4Runner. Are there any regions in the country where this SUV truck is not so popular? Maybe they prefer the Dodge Ram over the Urban 4Runner. Does anyone know if there are incentives out there for this vehicle? What Toyota offers in Denver is 2.9%/60 months. I had one dealer tell me $500.00 above invoice,plus the add on like dealer handler fee etc. I really would like to entertain the thought of buying this truck, but gosh! it just an inch out of reach for my budget. Maybe with some creative incentives and with my excellent credit I might make it work. Two more questions, what is X-REAS and TDA. Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Options
    glb2glb2 Member Posts: 14
    I purchased a 2004 White V6 SR5 4WD in Dec. Options are spoiler, sunroof, 17" wheels, RS3200 security system, preferred pkg.(mats, cargo net, first aid kit,cargo cover),exhaust tip,and roof rack. Toyota of Louisville had to locate it for me. MSRP $32025. I paid $28760. Plus 6% taxes, and all other fees (doc.,licence,reg,etc)totaled $490. I shopped for several months and feel like this was a good deal. I paid $350 over invoice. I didn't pay the $685 ad fee(TDA).Good Luck!
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You might get some additional information from the Toyota 4Runner discussion.

tidester, host
  • Options
    micksdad1micksdad1 Member Posts: 32
    You may want to check out carmax.com. They have about 3 locations throughout the country in which they sell new vehicles. The vehicle description, MSRP, invoice price plus what they will sell it to you for are posted on their website. Many 4Runners are close to invoice or slightly above invoice. They are a no haggle dealership though. If you're thinking about leather consider getting the SR5 and having an aftermarket company install it for you. Carmax can help you there to. This will save you money over buying a Limited.
  • Options
    baki44baki44 Member Posts: 24
    I'm sure Limited is better but I have 2004 SR5 and put after market leather from "Classic Soft Trim" Company. They installed in two days, price $1200. (They have many locations all over the country)no body can tell the difference...
    good luck with your purchase
  • Options
    aroutharouth Member Posts: 45
    Hey,

I tried everything to get out of it, but I couldn't. I even went and called dealerships and said if you waive it I'll buy from you. When I bought mine it was included in the invoice. Did you actually see the invoice for your vehicle.
    Congrats, i'm sure you will love the 4runner!
  • Options
    highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    From glb2 Post#427 (info out of context)
    2004 White V6 SR5 4WD with spoiler, sunroof, 17" wheels, RS3200 security system, preferred pkg.(mats, cargo net, first aid kit,cargo cover),exhaust tip,and roof rack.
    MSRP $32025.
    Paid $28760.
    Paid $350 over invoice
    Did not pay the $685 TDA ad fee.
    Simple math:
    $350.00 paid over invoice
    $640.00 Dealer holdback (2% of MSRP)
    $600.00 Factory to Dealer incentive (Dec. 03)

$1590.00 Total profit minus $685.00 TDA = $905.00

Dealer made at least $905.00, maybe more.

Did they really give up the TDA? probably did, ...just were willing to forgo the profit from the incentive.
    --------------------------
    glb2,

You did very well, better then most. I thought I had a good deal, you got about $500.00 more off then I did.

The dealer is in business to make money. Holdback and the factory to dealer incentives are something they usually never give up, you got some of that money from them!! Might contact you next time I am ready to shop?

Enjoy your Runner, it is a great vehicle.
  • Options
    Just want to say thanks for the feedback everyone has given me. Two questions what is the X-REAS, and what is the TDA. fee? Thanks again in advance.
  • Options
    klo1klo1 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone else having the issue of getting a 3rd row seat on the Limited? Several dealers are claiming they don't make them that way (contrary to the 2 page photo in the brocure) and I am having trouble getting one to try and find me one (the old push the inventory game). Does anyone have one?
  • Options
    asif1asif1 Member Posts: 49
    TDA stands for Toyota Dealer Association. In each state there are several TDA usually one per 4-5 dealers. The money they get from TDA is used to announce local incentives, rebates on slow selling vehicle in that particular area and Add compaigns and similar purposes.

The TDA can be any where from 500 to 800$ and some time includes MAF (Manufacturer Advertisment Fee). When i bought my 2004 4 Runner, i paid around 600$ of TDA/MAF combined. i was lucky to get the deal at 100 $ above invoice and paid no other fee.

X-REAS are speical Air Shock Absorbers to further smoothen the ride, specially in sports edition. many ppl feel no added advantage of this feature. i would say the diff is rather small.

For you to get the best deal, there can be 2 ways.Go to http://www.kbb.com and see the price of 4Runner, they also tell about incentives in whole US. From there note down the states giving special incentives, APR / Rebates etc etc and then go to http://www.buyatoyota.com and search vehicle with required options in a particular state. since Toyota works through distributers rather than factory direct to dealers. You may be able to get good price in certain areas. Also the incentives and rebates you can find on internet will tell you about particular region, with-in that region there are different TDAs and you might get a good deal from a particular Dealer in a TDA.

Bottom line, you have to spend some time on interet, make fone calls before you go in and buy. Also note that with-in region there are some dealrs who dont participate in TDA and advertise themselves, you may be able to get good deal from them, even though they charge their own 500 $ Advertisment fee, but you can always question it since they wont have the excuse that "this is not our money, we give it to TDA" etc.

asif
  • Options
    Where did you find info on $600 incentive? I thought I checked everthing.I've been shopping for about 10mths. Remember I have an '04 and I'm in Louisville. Yea, holdback is hard to fight. However, my salesman is a friend and he said holdback doesn't always apply when the dealer has to locate the vehicle. I'm not sure. We were talking over a few drinks this weekend and he said they took a loss because business was slow and they were trying to reach so many units for the month. I believe they made about $1000. Also, in Kentucky, whoever owns the 4runner on Jan 1. pays property taxes. Good Luck 4running.
  • Options
    arouth,

I think it was timing and luck. However, I'm curious about this $600 incentive that highlander7 mentioned.
  • Options
    highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    I confirmed this Factory to Dealer rebate with two different dealers. One even stated after I showed him a print out of this factory incentive that it was the reason I was getting a good price.
    They were surprised that I actually had this information.

I will try to locate that paperwork or site. It was possibly kbb.com or cars.com last month.

And it may have only been a regional incentive for the Northeast?
  • Options
    loudog2loudog2 Member Posts: 83
    when I went to buy my 2004 limited(v6 no third row) I had to speacial order it, because none were around. The only limiteds on the dealers lot were 2 with third row seats. I also called other dealers, all they had were ones with third row seats. So the dealer is lying to you. They do make them that way. That's all I found when I went looking.
  • Options
    falcon74falcon74 Member Posts: 67
    just purchased a '04 4Runner Sport 4WD- V8. The finance guy tried to sell me on the Platinum Toyota 6 yr 75K warranty. Are there any options in buying the warranty other than purchasing directly it from the dealer you purchased the car from??

TIA
  • Options
    Good information, I will take it and start the research. I am not in a a hurry since now I am realizing the sticker shock. I have outgrown my Toyota Corolla, for some reason over the last ten years I have expanded....hehehe. Because of cost of the 4Runner I went and drove the following vehicles Vue, Tribute, Soreno, Santa Fe,Camry,Accord,and the Pilot. I have to say the only one that I am willing to make a payment on and feel happy about is the 2004 4Runner. I was not impressed with the Pilot at all. What is all the hype about? It felt like a box. I know I am going to get crap for saying this but I did fall in lust with the Soreno, but I am in love with the 4Runner. Kia has really put out a small SUV that is pretty nice to look at. I struggle emotionally about the whole KIA story, so I have put it on the back burner for now. However I can afford this vehicle it seem now, the 4Runner I will need the end of the year incentives and a dealer that will give me a break on all the add on cost etc. I will do the research and hope I can hang out until I get a break. I had one dealer call me on a 4x2 SR5 yesterday and he said I could have it at $25,500 because it has been on the lot for 2 months. It did not have the safety features I wanted (curtain side bags), plus 3 row seats (do not need), color was not the color I like. So I thank him and will keep shopping. Peace!
  • Options
    asif1asif1 Member Posts: 49
    some of you might have noticed 750$ Rebate on 2004 SR5 and Sports edition in south region (neworleans, Batonrouge, lafayette). not sure of other regions. i guess this the best you can expect of hot vehicle like 4Runner. This rebate ends on 2nd Feb 2004. I am sure these dealers are also pushed to sell as many vehicle as they can, to boost first quarter 2004 sales number.
    There can't be any better time to buy 4Runner.
    asif
  • Options
    I still am getting nowhere on the limited v8 w/3rd row... Loudog, if you are reading this, please let me know where you live so I can scout dealers there! Anybody else have a 3rd row limited? Please let me know how you got it...
  • Options
    loudog2loudog2 Member Posts: 83
    klo1, I live in the suburbs of chicago, IL.. I bought mine at St. Charles Toyota. I also talked to Toyota in Elgin, IL and Pauly Toyota in Crystal Lake, IL. All of them at the time I was buying back in Oct. had limiteds with third row's. I can't remember if they were v6's or 8's. I didn't look at those because I was looking for them w/o third row. But I know for sure that they were limiteds w/third row.
  • Options
    sdjoesdjoe Member Posts: 2
    Been following this board for a while and I have learned a lot, thanks guys. Finally bought my 4 Runner (roof rack, pref package, and moonroof) for $23747 (after 750 rebate) + tax, lic and doc fee... $25,901 out the door. Found the deal advertised in the paper and was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was for real. They had 3 4Runners for that price and mine was the last one offered. No haggling, no problems, no BS. Took me 2 hours total, from test drive to financing to out the door.
     It drives great, can't be happier. Again, many thanks everyone.
  • Options
    What city did you purchase your 4x2? Congratulations!
  • Options
    sdjoesdjoe Member Posts: 2
    Floeva09, San Diego, CA here. Love the truck...
  • Options
    4runner_20034runner_2003 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased this (pre-owned, 10500 miles on it) one last month at Lexus dealership for 25500 (on the road 27000).It comes with complete sport package, tinted, 4 windows etched (for extra security protection, cloth interior (dealer) treated for any spill etc.

I love this vehicle!.
  • Options
    wclarkjr1wclarkjr1 Member Posts: 19
    Wanted to know what is a good price to expect from a dealer in the Charlotte NC area for a 2004 Limited 6 Cylinder 4X4. How much above invoice is a good price? Any insight into dealing with the Toyota dealers in NC, SC, or VA??
  • Options
    Why is the MSRP on this site $1195 and the invoice $956.
    On the actual sticker, MSRP is $735 and invoice $588.
  • Options
    jjenkensjjenkens Member Posts: 26
    I'm not sure how many dealerships are doing this in the Dallas area, but Toyota of Irving is offering $750 back or 0.0% for 36 months on ALL 4Runners.
  • Options
    gr8smilesgr8smiles Member Posts: 7
    I have been shopping for a few days for a 4Runner. I've always liked them and the Toyota brand, but needed an 8 cyl. for the towing capacities ( I pull Mastercraft Ski Boats)..While checking tonight, I found a 2004 Limited V8 4x4 with everything on it. It is the gold color (which would have been my choice) It has 8740 miles on it. The salesman said that it was one of the regional managers demo trucks. The sticker is 43k and some change. I would not have gotten the Nav. system if I ordered one, but this has it and the backup camera is really nice. What would be an appropriate price? The invoice is near 37k. Kelly blue book says that an 03 with 9k miles would retail for 35000. The trade-in value from Kelly for the same car is 28500. Several 03 trucks are on CarMax with near the same mileage and options. Their price is 34000. Would 31000 be insulting? It does come with full factory warranty. It has never been titled. Should I buy an extended warranty since it has the nav/camera system? Any advice would be helpful. I live in Nashville,Tn. This is the Cincinnati region.

Thanks
    Rick
  • Options
    dpalaudpalau Member Posts: 20
    Edmunds has the price wrong for the cloth 3rd row seat option. It is showing the price for the cloth 3rd row seat as if it is in leather.

MSRP/Invoice

Cloth 3rd Row Seat: $735/$588
    Leather 3rd Row Seat: $1195/$956
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please fill out the Feedback Form - our editors appreciate corrections.

tidester, host
  • Options
    steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    Rick,

I don't think you'll get too far with an offer of 31,000. Demos do get discounted from Toyota but not that much.

You are comparing to 03's and this one is an 04.

Figure out what you would offer on a brand new one, then use the IRS mileage rate to figure out an amount to deduct from that price. That should get you in the right ballpark.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    steveb84 doesn't seem too far off. I've heard (from a couple of sources) the figure of 50 cents/mile as a deduction. That made sense to me at the time.
  • Options
    woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    I bought a used 2004 4Runner with 3900 km (2500 miles) and 6 weeks old for about a $5000 discount from new, including transportation charges. My employer pays me 44 cent per km when using the vehicle for business.

When I was looking at 03's (in December 2003), the dealers offered no discounts on the painted cladding models, only Toyota Canada's $1000 rebate on the V8 models as well as a discounted finance rate. Grey cladding fetched a $2000 rebate.

Hope this helps
  • Options
    va4rnrva4rnr Member Posts: 5
    A dealer in VA is offering any 4 runner in the lot for 4K less than MSRP. Is this a good deal?
  • Options
    Galileo757Galileo757 Member Posts: 37
    Go with dealer invoice price which could be found on this website, that would be a good starting point.
  • Options
    va4rnrva4rnr Member Posts: 5
    The asking price is about $600-$700 under invoice price.

example
    MSRP 33868
    Invoice 30547
    Asking price 29868 + Tax + Tags + $200 processing fee

Can I get a better deal?
  • Options
    It has been 3 weeks that I have been trying to buy this car and out of 6 dealers, I can't get one of them to even order one for me. I don't know if these guys are so busy or lazy but it is completely annoying. And honestly, they haven't even spoken prices! Can anyone tell me if they do have a Limited with a third row???? Loudog had been nice enough to share his midwestern dealers, please let me know if you have one or have seen one. I am getting the hugest run around and never the same answer. So unimpressed with Toyota's sales people. I find them uninformed and arrogant and completely apathetic. And anywhere I go to on the internet simply connects me to the same local dealers. I find this whole thing ridiculous as they clearly show the Limited with a third row in the 2004 pamphlet interior overviewshot. I can understand if the dealers just misread the demand of the market and didn't order them but why can't any of these people just order one! It's really pathetic.
  • Options
    bankeizenbankeizen Member Posts: 46
    If you want to spend more money you can get the Lexus version of the 4R, the GX 470. I have the opposite problem; can't get one with just two rows, dealers only want to sell three rows.
  • Options
    Well, one day after 18 weeks ago when I placed a custom order, my new SR5 4Runner 4x4 came into the dealer. It's Black with a Taupe interior.

The options I have are:

Alarm System (PN)
    Garage Door Opener (NJ)
    Luggage Rack (DR)
    Mirror (EC)
    Power Outlet (NA)
    3rd Row Seat (TH)
    Spoiler (RF)
    Leather Steering Wheel (NE)
    17" Wheels (AW)
    Accessory Package (Z1) - I actually didn't order this but it came this way from the factory so the dealer just threw it in
    All-weather floor mats (not sure on the code or price)

Total MSRP was $32316. Paid $30350. Invoice $28654.

I'm not super happy about the price but the dealer had such great service and was the only one in the area willing to work with me on a custom order without charging me MSRP that I don't mind paying a little extra.

Took advantage of the 2.9% financing for the Chicago region (I'm up in Wisconsin).

Took the platinum warrenty for $970. Not sure about this but I plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time so hopefully it pays off. Although my last Toyota I had for 8 years would have never needed it.

The dealer metioned that while they had it in their showroom for a couple of days before I could pick it up that a lot of people were interested in it. Due mainly to the fact that it was an SR5 (and not a Limited) that had quite a few options that were not really available from Toyota anywhere (even though their brochure said that it was possible). Especially with no sunroof.
  • Options
    Forget to mention that they came with Michelin Cross Terrains which I was real happy about.
  • Options
    aroutharouth Member Posts: 45
    Klo1, I feel your pain. I custom ordered my 4x4 sport about 3 months ago, and I am going to be picking it up Feb. 3. Toyota dealerships are the most shady dealerships i've seen so far. I looked at Nissans and Fords and there dealerships are much nicer and more helpful. They don't like to custom order b/c they are more interested in selling what they have on the lot, and it takes 3-4 months and several hours of work to do it.

I got invoice and I went in armed with information. I had print outs from KBB, and edmunds saying what the invoice was. It still took a while, but I finally got invoice on the last day of the month.
  • Options
    Congratulations on your purchase. I have black Highlander w/beige interior and when its clean it is sharp looking. I am also in Wisconsin. I am looking for a 2004 SR5 also with a taupe interior, but would like stratosphere mica. I see a lot of stone interiors but not many taupe interiors. Can you tell me your contact at the dealership and the dealership name? I am in the Milwaukee area. Thanks.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Like it says at the top, please do not post salespeople names, phone numbers or email contact information.

Dealer name/location is fine. Thanks,

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I purchased my 4Runner from LeMiuex Toyota up in Green Bay. Great service. Everyone I talked to there seemed great, not just my sales guy.

I was actually going to get the gray interior but they had a black w/taupe one on the lot at the time (not with the options I wanted) and it looked great. That was the only one in three dealerships that I saw that had taupe. And I didn't see any stratosphere micas. Mostly titanium, galactic gray, and a few whites and blacks. Although I do know a guy who got a gold one from up here.

Bergstrom Toyota in Oshkosh and Kolosso Toyota in Appleton were both pretty horrid in terms of trying to do a custom order (Kolosso wouldn't even call me back). And my experience was consistent from what I heard of these two dealers.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information.
  • Options
    What dealers are you talking to? I will call just about anywhere to find the car? Thank you--
    I looked at the Lexus and love it...but it's over $10k more!