Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• timnytimny Posts: 142
    I think the carpet mats are standard on BMW. Other cars/dealers are not always so. Acura wanted a few more bucks. MB did, too, when my in-laws bought their car. I am sure yours will have mats.

I thought about getting black, too -- but every tiny scratch shows! That's the case with my current car. Still ... nothing looks better when polished than black!
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "Not sure what is involved with re-setting the TPMS.. hopefully, you don't have to buy new sensors every time you swap out...."

IIRC, it is a simple push of a couple of buttons. I'll check the manual when I get home and report back.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    TPMS - you mean the car alerts you to pressure variances, right? I assume this is set/configured for the wheels the car comes with, but can be adjusted, no?
    Can I do the reset myself, or is this an off-to-the-dealer-for-repair matter?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,792
    I'm not sure how BMW's system works (but, I bet Shipo does).

Some use the ABS system to measure differences in rotation (I think this is the way BMW does it). Some actually put some kind of sensor on the tire/wheel assembly itself..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Well ... my first forey into BMW-land is certainly proving interesting (and costly!). hahaha
    I meant foray
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    My 6er loaner was equipped with run flats and the manual specified a sensor reset procedure. No replacement is necessary, though a brain-dead tire tech can wreck a sensor by not dismounting/mounting the tire correctly.
  • dcandis1dcandis1 Posts: 16
    Thanks for your frankness.

Any leads on your next ride? Nothing that I have driven has been a "wow" experience in this space. The E90 3 has been the best so far, with nothing else left to drive (the IS250 was under consideration until I saw it's performance numbers, way too slow). My second choice at this point would be the A3, but with an aftermarket suspension, tires and stereo.

I guess that I should go with the 3 and hope for the best. At this point, I see no other sport sedans with manual transmissions worth consideration (that I fit in).
    Per the E90 Manual:

Flat Tire Monitor FTM

The concept

The Flat Tire Monitor monitors tire pressures while the car is being driven. The system reports any significant loss of pressure in one tire in relation to another. If a tire loses pressure, its rolling radius changes, and this in turn alters the speed of rotation. This change is detected and is reported as a flat tire.

Functional requirement
    In order to assure the reliable reporting of a flat tire, the system must be initialized for the correct tire inflation pressure.
    Note:The system must be reinitialized each time a tire inflation pressure has been corrected or a wheel or tire has been changed.

As for resetting the system, the manual gives the instructions for the iDrive reset, which is via a menu, however, not a word on how to reset the system if you don't have iDrive. Hmmm, that's weird.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,171
    On non-iDrive models (iDon'tDrive?), there is an "INIT" option on the list of things in the body control computer. I think it disappears after the car has been driven a few miles.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    I went up to NH yesterday to test drive some cars in this order:

2005 530i SP AT
    2006 750i SP AT
    2006 325i SP AT

I currently have a 2003 530i. But I was dissapointed with the 530 supplied for this drive. The engine in that car is just not enough and I found the suspension a bit jarring and abrupt. Also, when pushed the tires on that car just don't cut the mustard. I felt that my non-SP 530 does much better with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on 17" wheels. The interior of the car did not at all feel like a step up from my car.

The 750 was a great ride. I think the interior is very nice. The controls would take some getting used to. But the ride is very luxurious. And when pushed it takes off its Cadillac ride and gets down to business. The juxtaposition of handling vs. luxury is amplified here to the nth degree - probably more than other BMW product ever made.

Th 325 was the biggest surpirse to me. The new 6 in combo with the new chasiss is well executed. The fun factor is a 10 even with the smaller engine. The interior is a much better execution the the current 5. You just can't help tossing this baby around. The convertible should be a hoot. If anyone is looking to spend $35K on a car you have to drive this if you are an enthusiast. Homerun for BMW. Hopefully this will generate enough revenue for them to get them to the next 5-series design

Based on these rides I would recommend to the BMW designers that they:
    1) Put the new six in a 7-series i.e. 730i.
    2) Upgrade the 5 interior a lot in 2008 re-do (closer to 7-Series) along with a re-styling to the front end bumper - take the "frown" out
    3) Get out performance packages for the 3-series ASAP
    4) Hurry up with the 3-series hardtop convertible.
    5) Put a bigger sunroof in the 7-series - like the 6-series.

All in all a fun experience that you folks should take advantage of without a salesperson along for the ride
    Thanks Shipo... I knew you would come through..

Pretty good info, from a mini-van driver... :surprise:

• davidd3davidd3 Posts: 582
    If you would use the phone on a daily basis, then I think it would be worth coughing up another hundred bucks or so for the cradle. Otherwise, your phone will be floating and it could be an annoyance - bulking up your pocket, on the passenger's seat, on the floor after it falls off the passenger's seat on the first good turn or sharp braking, or rattling around in a storage compartment.
  • planomlplanoml Posts: 244
    Congrats on the ED! You will love it. What the ED service advisor said appears to be consistent with the manuel-80mph/4k rpm/1,200 miles. He actually told me to stick with that for 1,500 miles.This topic has been debated many times. Some feel that BMW has the knowledge and experience to give good guidance, while others feel that modern engines don't need to follow a 30 year old policy.

Incedently, the general speedlimit in Western Europe is 80 mph. I stuck to that, because I was driving in an unfamiliar car, on unfamilar roads. I also had my family with me. The other issue that we overlook is that the views are very distracting. It's funny that you say that you are not accustomed to driving fast, yet you will be driving 100 mph. I think most of the board members have speeding problems-we need professional help.

This was my first ED. One of the agreements with my wife was that I would keep it under 80. I hope to do another ED soon, & will probably do the same. On the other hand, if you don't have any earthly responsibilities, don't mind going to jail or worse; get a ZHP and drive out of the parking lot at 155 & don't lift your foot until you reach your destination. Best of luck mate!
  • I turned down the floor mat offer, having kept mine from my M. Got a car cover instead.
    New 3 owners out there, which functions are among the programmable personal preferences in the new 3? Is this something I should be discussing with my salesperson prior to delivery so that everything is set up for me right from the start, or is this something the owner can or should do by himself/herself? In case it may matter, my car will be a 330i equipped with automatic transmission, premium package, heated seats, satellite radio and metallic paint. No i-drive. My delivery date is Sep 2.

My wife and I will share the car, and my preferences could be different than her preferences in some instances. How to cope with that?
  • selmselm Posts: 122
    Thanks for the input, I think I will follow the advice of BMW. When I was 16 on summer break I was pulled over for going 70 in a 45. Fortunetly, I had my girl friend and her 3 friends in my car and we all were coming from the beach. 4 high school girls in bikinis talking to a police man certainly helped me get out of it with as he was not older than 23. I remember I couldn't talk and all I could think about was how my parents would be so disappointed and upset that I put others in potentail danger. From that moment on I decided that feeling of getting a ticket was stronger than the thrill of fast speed. Now that doesn't stop me from getting up to the speed limit +5 as fast as humanly possible. That is kind of why I want to go on the autobahn, I have years of repressed driving I need to work out!
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    One thing about the autobahn is that if there is an accident speedlimit-free section, the party who was going faster may have be partially responsible for the damage incurred, even if not at fault. Oh, and as of 2004, use of highbeam is illegal on the autobahn. For everything you wanted to know about the autobahn:

http://home.att.net/~texhwyman/autobahn.htm
    Good idea. Don't know about your trip plans, but a round trip might help where you loop back to Munich so that your 1,200 miles are done before you hit the Autobhan. That way you would be familiar with the car & roads before you gun it. As luck would have it, I was stuck in a traffic jam 40 miles outside Paris, when the odo crossed 1,200.
    I am doing a round trip, but I don't think I will get to 1200 miles. Unless I get seriously lost, always a possibility, I am thinking that I will put on about 1000.
    My wife and I deliberately "got lost" so we could do some spontanious sight seeing. :) What I accidentally forgot to mention to her was anything regarding the 1,200 mile break in period and the ability to stand on it while on the autobahn on the way back to Munich once that period was over. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Come on mate. Bump the trip to where you just cross over 1,200 and happen to be on an unlimited stretch of the Autobhan, on a Sunday morning. Listen to Shipo. The German roads are fantastic.
  • djocksdjocks Posts: 124
    I am very close to replacing my 2003 330i with an '06 3 series. I do have 2 questions and am looking for some help.

1. What were the impressions any of you had when and if you test drove the 330i behind the 325i. This is something I am looking to do, but before I do I would love any input, and the choices many of you made.

2. Anyone know when the smart key option comes available to do away of the key fob?

Thanks,
    djocks
    1. I test drove both the 325i and the 330i, both with AT. In my opinion, the 325i was very nice and the 330i was awesome. I ended up splurging on the 330i. Although the 325i now has a 3.0 liter engine, just like the 330i, I judged that the 330i was worth the price difference. In terms of acceleration, while I found the 325i to be peppy, I found the 330i to be fun to drive. Also, the 330i comes with larger wheels/tires and brakes. I also like the chrome accents on the 330i. I wanted power seats, zenon lights and upgraded stereo anyway. So for me, the price difference between the 325i and the 330i was really only about $3K i/o $6K.

2. I heard that the smart key option will be available on cars built when production resumes in September.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I drove the 325i and 330i 6-speed MT (both with SP) back-to-back last month. My impression was that the 330i definitely has more power, but it is in a "breathes better" sort of way. It's not significantly quicker - the 330i just feels a little more robust.

My feelings about these two cars remain the same. If you are intent on having xenons, logic7, and the other goodies that come standard on the 330i, you might as well get the 330i and benefit from the greater HP and larger brakes. If you could care less about the extra frills and want the most bang-for-the-buck, the 325i with 6-speed and SP is the way to go.
    Right now, I only have airfare and I still have to get all my hotels. So I can still rearrange things. Maybe I will tell my wife I really have the desire to go to [insert far European city here] to ensure a 1500 mile vacation.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,171
    I didn't really look at it like a static limit. The manual says that the brakes and tires are broken in after a few hundred miles. Running it to redline a couple of times in the first 1200 miles is not the end of the world. I don't think that a run on the Autobahn in the middle 100's would be a problem a little bit before the magical 1200 mile mark.
    Get up at 0200 each morning... hop in the car and run down the autobahn for an hour, then turn around and come back... back in bed by 0400, with an extra 200 miles on the car... Do this for three nights, and with your other driving, you'll be well over 1200 miles in no time at all..

The last day, you can sleep late, because you can drive back to Munich at 155 MPH...

• amiramir Posts: 93
    does anyone know when will the new 3 coupe hit the us showrooms.i am ready to buy the bmw 330i with in the next 2 or 3 months.but if the coupe is available soon then i am gona wait. and for some reason i think 3 series coupes have always been better looking than the sedans. am i right or its just my imagination? please help
This discussion has been closed.