Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    malarkeymalarkey Member Posts: 6
    hey stonehog, is this a manual or auto?
  • Options
    bobbysealbobbyseal Member Posts: 9
    Hi,

I just got a copy of the plum magazine, ACOG, rebate. I tried to go to www.mazdausa.com/family, but it says that the rebate offer has expired. Are people still getting this rebate through a different means via the dealership? I'm to pick up my car tomorrow. I'd love to get another $500 off.
  • Options
    bear7bear7 Member Posts: 10
    Hello All and thanks to the forum hosts.

I was looking closely at the Honda Civic VP, Toyota Corolla CE, and the Mazda 3i for my spouse. I was researching (and dreading the showroom experiences I would have to endure) when my wife suddenly totaled her car necessitating my visit to a dealer on a Saturday to immediately buy a car so she would have transportation. I had driven the three models and liked the Mazda 3i the best, the Corolla second, and the Civic third. Amazingly, they were priced locally (2005s at the time) in that order! Mazda $15,990 OTD, Corolla $15,000 OTD, and Civic $14,500 OTD (all with auto and air as the only options requested.) At the Mazda dealer I showed him a competitor's ad and asked if he would match it. He said yes before looking at the ad. I got a 2006 titanium gray 3i with AT and AC and ABS/side airbags/curtain airbags for $15,787 OTD - including all Virginia taxes, processing fees, etc. I didn't buy anything else they were pushing -extended warranty, paint sealer, anti-theft window etching, etc. I think I got a very good deal on a Japanese-made car in a popular color/trim considering I would have paid $200 more for an 05 OTD! I noticed $1209 total discount and rebates against the MSRP of $16,445. I was desperate to buy a car THAT DAY but didn't let the salesman know, of course. My wife loves the car. I usually buy Saturns because I hate traditional dealerships. Did I do OK? Thanks! :confuse:
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,533
    We aren't a coupon swapping forum.. and if you want someone to e-mail you, click on Preferences and mark your e-mail as public.. As posted below, do not put your e-mail address in your post..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    sunsh05sunsh05 Member Posts: 8
    Pete22,

Have you been dealing directly with Gerber to get your $500 rebate or Mazda? I know there were several $500 rebates (Gerber, ACOG and Mazda) and I just sent mine in (directly to Mazda) so I was not happy to read that you're having a hard time. Did you use the zoom zoom coupon as well (I was wondering if that may have something to do with it)? Please keep us updated as you get further info. Thanks and good luck!
  • Options
    nfridaynfriday Member Posts: 9
    Hi- ow did you get the car that cheap? I thought I was getting a fantastic deal with the 3i 5 speed with AC, ABS, and side air bags for $16,086. The only reason I was able to get it for that price was because the dealer was pricing all his mazdas with the s plan, so I was going to get it for $200 under invoice. I just found out today that I am not getting the car. I am so mad. The dealer was going to get a car exactly like the one I wanted from another dealer, and had put a hold on the car. When he called the other dealer to say that I wanted the car, the salesman he orginally talked to was not there, and he had to talk to him. By the time he finally got to talk to him 2 days later, they had just sold the car, and mazda is not delivering any more cars like what I wanted for another 6-8 weeks, so I am getting a Honda Civic for $1,000 more. It is a really nice car though. Thanks, Nancy
  • Options
    user1235user1235 Member Posts: 84
    I was offered Mazda3 S Grand Touring manual transmission w/Sunroof+Bose pkg for $19100. MSRP is $21060, Edmunds invoice is $19643. This price doesn't include any coupons, but they are also willing to accept the zoom-zoom coupon for an additional $500 off the above quoted price.

Would that be a good deal ?
  • Options
    mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    Tell me where your getting this deal...hopefully tri-state area. So I can buy one. Since Honda has a recall on the 06' Civic which is probably the result of the production slow down...I'm up for anything.
  • Options
    Originally the deal was advertised in the local sunday newspaper for this one car only for $2500 below MSRP which is $18560. Only valid thru last weekend. When I noticed the ad on Monday they said it expired but are willing to come close. So they offered it for $19100. It is still only for this specific car (winning blue 06 3S GT manual + moonroof/bose) which happens to be exactly what I wanted. And no, it is not in tri state.

Should I jump on it ?
  • Options
    mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    I've spoken to several dealerships regarding this vehicle, under invoice has never been offered to me. I would buy at that price point.

With that said, I'm often classified as a grinder. I would look at this and think there's money left on the table, roughly the $600 difference. If your ready to pull the trigger walk in and offer the advertised price...but be ready to buy. Have financing secured, etc. And go through the "please no add-ons..." dialogue.
  • Options
    bennevis33bennevis33 Member Posts: 3
    with ABS and side airbags and AC for $15,572 before TTL - thats $100 over invoice - any thots from experienced buyers? Thanks
  • Options
  • Options
    corey310corey310 Member Posts: 5
    I always hated the Mazda commercials with the zoom zoomslogan and never thought much of the cars, being that I always owned GM cars. Two camaros, two silverados, and one olds cutlass... Well my most recent GM was approaching retirement, and I was undecided between a Monte Carlo, or a grand am. One day I saw a Mazda ad in the newspaper and noticed the cars and deals they had. I went to the dealership and drove a mazda6 and loved it! I gave it a few days thought and decided on a 3 hatchback. I picked it up last Thursday and this is one of the geatest cars I've owned yet. The dealership I dealt with was awesome and my new 3 is great! If your thinking about one of these cars, get it!
  • Options
    Nancy,

I'm sorry you were jerked around by the dealer. My "dumb luck" must have been the fact that I had a competitor's ad in hand and the salesman said he would match a local competitior's deal even before looking at the ad. I had no coupons - I have no idea what the S-plan, Gerber (baby food?) and zoom zoom coupons are. I didn't ask for or use any of those - my only "tactic" was asking if they would match the competitior's ad. Could it also be geography? I'm in Richmond, VA. Am I allowed to give the dealer's and salesman's names in this forum?
  • Options
    Ben Nevis 33:

It sounds like your car and mine are exactly the same. We bought a titanium gray 2006 3i with AT, AC, ABS, side and curtain air bags. My story doesn't involve any coupons or knowledge of S-plans, etc. Here in Richmond the mega Pearson group seems to be devouring all the locally-owned dealers which will ultimately hurt competition. I suspect what happened was that Pearson (with its volume buying) could put an ad in the paper for one car exactly like ours priced at $13,850 (incl. freight) + tax, title, dealer fee. I doubt Pearson would price all of theirs like this but it gets people in the door. My sales paperwork showed $709 discount and S-plan rebate of $500. I hope this helps. By the way, have you ever climbed Ben Nevis?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,533
    ..Individual salesperson information is not....

See Rules of the Road...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Wow - sounds like you got a great deal - I'm getting a voom voom live coupon to take my overall price before TTL down to 15.1k (including dest) but still not close to what you got, makes me wonder if i should hold out... I have not in fact climbed Ben Nevis - I spent a year in Scotland in 97-98 and like to remember it often - associated user names help. thanks for the info
  • Options
    FYI I'll spell out the deal I got here in Richmond and then mosey on over to the Mazda 3 owners' forum. The dealer was Whitten Bros. (locally owned) and the other dealer whose ad I brought with me was Pearson (out of town based mega chain of dealers.) The Pearson 3i (with AT and AC only) was advertised at $14,950 incl. delivery.

Whitten Bros. didn't have an identical car in stock but did have a titanium gray 3i en route with additional safety features such as ABS, side airbags, and curtain airbags for $15,236 incl. delivery and dealer prep. The deal sheet showed a $709 discount and a $500 S-plan rebate for a total reduction of $1209 from the MSRP of $16,445. I paid the Commonwealth of Virginia an additional $551 for tax, title and tags which brought the total to $15,787.

I didn't have any coupons or know of any rebates or discounts for the 3i. Whitten also gives 12 free oil changes and a loaner car for ALL service (incl. oil changes) for three years. If you do all recommended service at Whitten they also provide replacement tires for life. The Internet sales person at Whitten Bros. Mazda in Richmond was very easy to work with. He was patient and didn't apply pressure tactics. I recommend Whitten Bros. Mazda to the forum members.
  • Options
    I just bought the car today (winninig blue 06 3S GT with moonroof/bose pkg) for $18900 (invoice is $19643 msrp is $21060) minus $500 for the zoom-zoom live coupon, so final price before TTL is $18400.

Even though we previously discussed a price of $19100 they agreed to knock an extra $200 off because the car has 190 miles on it (which is a little strange, but it seems fine otherwise).
  • Options
    I think I'm depressed now :cry: I'm going to pick up my 3sGT with bose/moonroof/5spd AT and I'm paying $300 over invoice, and I think they are going to try to pile on additionals when they have me there. I can NOT believe you got this car so much under invoice. AND they knocked off $200 because of 190 miles!! My car will arrive with more than 200 miles on it!!!
  • Options
    I think the only reason I got it for less then invoice is because of the ad they published in last weekend's newspaper which clearly said $2500 below MSRP (which would have been $18560) for one specific 2006 Mazda 3 (the ad mentioned the specific vin). They later claimed it was a mistake and they meant to advertise it with $2500 discount below a marked-up price of $23055. They also said that the deal expired (even though the car was still not sold), but somehow they were still willing to come close and offered me a below invoice price of $19100.

Also during signing of the contract they put down a price of $19400 and said it will be $18900 after the $500 zoom-zoom coupon, but when I noticed that they said it was a mistake again and corrected it to be $18900 before coupon.

I'm still a little suspicious about this deal, but the car seems perfectly fine apart from the 190 miles on the odometer. Hopefully it's all good.
  • Options
    Keep us posted user1235. hopefully the car will hold together and it will be perfect and you just got one helluva deal.
  • Options
    So far I've driven the car for about 50 miles and everything has been fine. Coming from a Saab 9-3, I feel the seats in the Mazda are not as comfortable, but I hope I will get used to them and/or they will feel better once they are broken in. Also the doors don't have the same substantial feel like in the Saab, and the shifting is slightly harder. But overall I think it's not any worse, and in fact it has a better audio system, bigger wheels, climate, xenon that the saab didn't have.

Regarding the deal I got on the car, it's still a mystery to me why did they advertise this car for $2500 below MSRP to begin with ? That is WAY out of line with any reasonable discounts on Mazda3. And if it was really a mistake, why did they feel they have to honor the price even after the ad expired ? And why did the car have 190 miles on it ? And are these two facts related in some way ? I can't find anything wrong with the car, like any external or internal defects and it seems to drive just like any other new Mazda3 (I think).
  • Options
    with Bose/Moonroof/5spd AT

20,760 ($300 over invoice) + tax $1829 + license $312,
    22,9 out the door. Probably not the best of deals, (especially since user1235 blew everyone's deals out of the water :D ) but coming from a base model '91 Honda Civic, I'm absolutely delirious about this car :P
  • Options
    pete22pete22 Member Posts: 80
    sunsh05,

I sent it directly in to Mazda to the person and address specified in the email that said the dealer would not process it anymore. And yes I used a zoom-zoom coupon direcltly at the dealer but I think it has nothing to do with it. Latest, I called on the next Monday and got someone else who also confirmed that Mazda had no record of getting my paperwork. I faxed him the certified mail reciept but he just appologized and asked me to fax him all the paperwork and a copy of the original ad. I did that and he said he would put a rush on it. But honestly I don't know if they'll give me the rebate. My dealer claims Mazda never will, but I'll let you know if I get it.
  • Options
    watfalletwatfallet Member Posts: 12
    I'm in the same boat. I bought my Mazda 3i on 10/21, sent the email print out of the Gerber rebate + accompanying paperwork by certified mail on 10/24. I know they received it on 10/28 because I tracked the delivery. I still have not received my rebate and it has been 3 weeks. I'll wait one more week and then I'll call. I think it's pretty dishonest for them to just decide to not honor it, if that's what they're doing.
  • Options
    who_m3who_m3 Member Posts: 5
    Good luck with your search, rosenatti. I have found that it is still quite difficult to locate the car w/ the specs I was looking for in the MazdaUsa web site. Makes me even happier with my choice.

Where abouts NorCal are you?
  • Options
    In my recent experience mazdausa.com does not have a complete list of cars on dealers lots, at least not in northern california. In fact dealers have a lot more cars than what mazdausa shows plus they can reserve upcoming cars from the regional distribution ports. So I advise to call a few dealers or check out the local dealers websites (although not everyone has the current inventory on the website).
  • Options
    rosenattirosenatti Member Posts: 15
    Hey, who_m3. I'm in San Francisco, and the MazdaUSA site hasn't had a car with my specs listed within 150 miles for over a month now. Geez! How rare can a gray GT Hatchback with AT be? As another poster suggests, I'm going to contact some dealerships directly.

Aaargh. I want this process to be *easy.* I know, I know. Just call me Polyanna. :)
  • Options
    reichowjrreichowjr Member Posts: 86
    I have found as well as others that the dealer inventory listed online is not complete. You will have better luck contacting a dealer who can do a search of what is on the ground or in route.

I now am waiting until mid December for a gray GT 5 door with auto. My dealer has to trade an MX 5 for it. I have the time but it seems like the gray GT is harder to come by. I could get just about any other color right away.
  • Options
    As rare as a base S with AT in titanium gray or silver, I suspect. I ended up w/ the pearl white. Now, if I wanted a moon roof as well, those aren't as rare.
  • Options
    Agh! Reichowjr! You're getting my car! Wanna fight over it? No, no, I must be patient. What are you paying? Maybe I'll see if some local dealers are expecting any in over the holidays... I don't need the car immediately, and would rather wait for the one I want than settle for an alternate.
  • Options
    who_m3, I know exactly what you mean. Most of these cars come with additional stuff I'm not interested in... I guess the reasoning is that if you want to buy a GT, you also want all the options. And I've heard that gray is the most popular color in the Bay Area. I think I've got my work cut out for me.
  • Options
    autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Here is an excerpt of an interesting study that showed among other things that Mazda dealers scored significantly below average in the sales experience.

While 73 percent of new-vehicle buyers purchased their vehicle with the exact features they wanted, 11 percent said they ended up paying for features they didn’t want. Buyers who are not able to equip their new vehicle exactly the way they want shop more dealers and spend more time at the dealer ... This extra time spent lowers overall satisfaction compared to consumers who find a vehicle equipped exactly how they wanted. “Whether buyers end up sacrificing a preferred color or paying for options they didn’t necessarily want, having to settle for a vehicle that is not equipped as expected not only affects satisfaction with the vehicle itself, but also affects customer satisfaction with the overall sales experience,” said Steve Witten, executive director of automotive retail at J.D. Power ... manufacturers have to come up with more effective solutions for matching buyer expectations.”

Satisfaction also falls significantly when the amount of time spent at the dealership exceeds one hour. Customer satisfaction drops by 59 index points when comparing customers who spend one hour or less at the dealership to those who spend two or three hours. The average consumer spends approximately three hours at the dealership when purchasing their vehicle, and more than 15 percent of consumers spend four hours or more. “Dissatisfaction with the amount of time spent on the sales process is mostly attributed to the negotiation process ... Dealerships should ... cut down the number of personnel a customer must deal with ... because satisfaction with the sales experience heavily impacts the likelihood of the customer using the same dealership for vehicle maintenance service ”

http://www.jdpower.com/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2005227
  • Options
    Now that I'm looking around more, I see many in gray, winning blue, & silver. I haven't seen another white one yet. The "extras" that come along w/ the GT were nice, but not what I wanted.
  • Options
    sunsh05sunsh05 Member Posts: 8
    This is bad news. I have a Mazda rebate (not the Gerber one), so I don't know if it will make a difference or not. I sent in my paperwork and I received a "welcome new Mazda owner" email so I know they got it (my email address was on the paperwork but shame on me - I didn't send it certified mail). Keep us posted as to what happens. I can't imagine that Mazda would renege on the rebates especially if we sent them in before the expiration date. If so, that would be very poor customer service...

P.S. What number are you calling to get these periodic updates?
  • Options
    Rosenatti,
    I am paying S plan pricing (invoice) and using a zoom zoom coupon. My main concern is getting the vehicle before the end of the year as the coupon expires. The dealer assures me vehicle should be in on time and will do paper work ahead so that I can use the coupon. The dealer has been very good to work with.
  • Options
    tominsdtominsd Member Posts: 18
    I purchase my Mazda 3GT on October 8 and sent the paperwork in to Mazda a few days later. No rebate yet. I called Mazda and was told it is now taking 8 weeks to process the rebate. This is a Mazda rebate - not a Gerber rebate (but dont know if that makes any difference). I was told to wait 3 more weeks.

Also I test drove a Mazda 3 before I purchased one and was supposed to get a coupon for $25(?) at Best Buy and have not received that yet either. Has anyone received their Best Buy coupon yet?

Despite this, I am really really happy with this car. I know there is another guy who went from Protege5 to the Mazda3 and raved about how much better the 3 is. I agree with him - the 3 is much more refined and still tons of fun to drive. The torque at low rpm's is real sweet.
  • Options
    nim13nim13 Member Posts: 2
    Have any of you used the "s plan" pricing? My friend got it for me and he gave me pricing info for 05's; are '06's available?
  • Options
    Yes 06's are available. The Ford website that shows pricing on all A to Z plan vehicles only lists 05 pricing on the Mazda line. Your S plan price is invoice plus tax, license, and any processing fee the dealer charges. You can find invoice prices online from a variety of sources including edmunds.com I believe.
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    make sure you have a valid PIN number...s-plan numbers are generally not transferable to a 'friend'
  • Options
    carsearch6carsearch6 Member Posts: 1
    Mazda 3i touring AT - $17,240 after tax & tags and zoom zoom rebate. No extras features. msrp is $17,450.
  • Options
    Well, just to give my dates. My rebate was sent out Oct 7th and the certified letter was signed on the 14th. As mentioned ultimately I faxed a copy of the certified letter to Mazda to someone in Mazda customer service. Anyway he apolized and said I would have to fax him all the paperwork plus a copy of the original ad. I did and just called there yesterday to get the status. He said that they are accepting my paperwork even though its after the end of April due to my proof and its in work (heard that before), anyway no rebate yet. I'll post if it comes or when I here the next story. Hopefully this guy I've been talking to stays around or I'm back at square one. Since now I at least have a name and extension number of someone. Like I said in the past each customer service rep gave me a different story. Even one that said all the paperwork was in order and it was in the mail before the last told me there is no record on Mazdas part of ever recieving it.
  • Options
    autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    they are accepting my paperwork even though its after the end of April

Is the April date the expiry date?
  • Options
    I meant to say October and made a mistake. Anyway I have been given mixed info even on that in my phone calls to Mazda, at least 2 of them gave me the end of October date, a third said as long as I bought the car before the end of October. So I don;t know but either way don't know for sure if 'll get the rebate. The latest is that it's been aproved and should be in the mail. Will let everyone know wither way.
  • Options
    allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    Does anyone here have a 3 s with the automatic? I've always been a manual fan, but recent circumstances have dictated that I am going to have to buy an automatic. I've never had one before, so I'm a bit apprehensive.

My biggest concern are acceleration from a stop and highway passing power. One of the car mags (MT or C/D) timed an auto at 8.6 seconds to 60, which seems fairly strong.

Any input? I test drove one yesterday but didn't get to put it thru the paces as well as I'd like to.
  • Options
    bmgamblebmgamble Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I was curious to see if anyone knew about the Katrina Rebates. Here in Louisiana they are offering a $750 Katrina Rebate until 11/30. My question is this:

Does anyone know if this rebate will be extended through December?

Looking at making an offer today, but will wait if it goes past 11/30.

Thanks,

Bryan
  • Options
    socalgirl01socalgirl01 Member Posts: 13
    Hi all,
    I am a first time car buyer in San Diego. I read through some of the post on this form and did some research on the Mazda3 I like to buy at well. As most ppl suggested, I emailed all of the dealers in San Diego for price quote so I can get an idea before I drive all the way there. Most of the dealer replied but do not want to give me a price although I give very specific describtion: I want a Mazda3 GT 4 dr with Auto transmission with color either red, white, silver or black with no add on. I personally think its a really big range already, I mean I am pretty much saying I am not picky at color at all. Almost all the dealer ask me to go in and talk ...the only one replied to me is El Cajon Mazda. The internet manager told me that he is selling mazda3 at $300 over invoice for all mazda3 he has. I dono if this is a trick to get me in or not...as a first time car buyer..I just finished college last year..going to a dealership is somehow a very scary thing for me..especially I am a girl who really dont know much about car @.@~ So basicly I am terried to face car dealer ...does anyone have any good experience with any mazda dealer in San Diego that I should start try to work with? Any help is appreciated.

• Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    $300 over invoice is a fair deal - some do better - but many pay more. The question is what other fees will the dealer try and add on to bump up the price.

Since the one dealer gave you $300 over as the price - start there -

E-mail them and ask for a "drive out price" - I like to say I want to know EXACTLY how much I need to write the check for to buy the car - ask them to break it down so you can see the detail - or if you are getting a bank loan - you will need to tell the bank how much to make the check out for. This sounds like a simple request - but in my experience it is something many dealerships don't want to give out - keep after them because you have every right to know what the final cost of the car is before you even set foot in the dealership.

If they tell you to not worry about it - that they will finance you (one of the most common ways they avoid giving you a drive out price) - tell them you would be give them a chance at the financing - but only if they have a better INTEREST RATE on a loan of 36, 48 60 or whatever number of months you want. You still want the complete pricing detail.

If they will not take the 2 minutes to give you a drive out price then I would not do business with them -

Once you get the pricing detail - you will be able to see if the price is REALLY $300 over - chances are they will try and add in document fees - advertising charges - or what ever. ALWAYS tell them you do not want to pay any additional fees - nothing to be afraid of - just be nice - but firm - Since you now have the detail pricing take all the fees off and then tell them - (assuming they have the car you want) if they will sell you the car for $XX,XXX you will come in to the dealership today and pick it up. All they can say is NO -

You can then shop the same price to several other dealerships - chances are good - one will sell you the car for $300 over with no added fees (except TT&L of course).
  • Options
    I just realized that I missed out on this $1000 discount which was sent to me in the mail by Ford. It can only be used by the recipient, and appearantly they send it to people that are leasing cars and their lease is about to expire, so the letter states that you can get $1000 in addition to any other discounts on ford,lincoln,mercury and mazda cars (some models are excluded like mustang but it doesn't mention any exclusions for mazda), if you purchase by Dec 31st. The letter includes a unique claim number which can be used to reduce the price by $1000.

I received this letter a couple of weeks ago, at about the same time I bought my mazda3 GT manual w/moonroof/bose, but I did not open it before buying the car because it looked like junk mail (envelope says "invitation" only). Now it's too late so it looks like I missed out on possibly getting an additional $1000 off.....

I still got a very good deal but with this discount it would have been the best deal ever.... Damnit !!!!