Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Gladiator- People who want it built!

Comments

• moochorbbmoochorbb Posts: 16
    The Gladiator is what ive been hoping for. Ive owned 2 ford rangers and a s10. Im just waiting for this amazing looking thing. im glad for the diesel engine, good mpg is very important. Put this beast into production!!!! ill buy one when i get out of college which should be about the time that they would be made so please do.
  • upiorupior Posts: 10
    DC better hurry up with Gladiator production, because there is a Honda pickup coming up with the diesel engine and I don't wanna wait any
    longer and will grab whatever available first ;-/
  • brdhntr1brdhntr1 Posts: 19
    Come on DC make a decision. It looks as if they are going to analyze and discuss the decision to build until they are outside of a reasonable window of time for production. Lead the field do not follow!
  • dialm4speeddialm4speed Posts: 110
    LOL! I can't believe people are so passionate about this butt ugly truck. Seriously I don't think it'll be in the pipeline anytime soon. But good luck... I thought the Razor was a no brainer but we see what happen there.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    While I will be the first to admit that the Gladiator has the aerodynamics of a brick, the styling is hardly what I'd call ugly. It has somewhat of a retro look with the spare to the side, but the front end screams Wrangler to me. But it looks a bit cleaner than the current Wranglers without being a serious departure from it.

I was given an article from thecarconnection that shows the long wheelbase jeep (including the RESCUE).

Why is this important? The article mentions, and I quote here, "A four-door addition to the Wrangler family, the Rescue will ride atop a new architecture that will also spawn a new Wrangler two-door and possibly a pickup truck as well."

Could this be the Gladiator platform we've been waiting for? I sure hope so. I love the Wrangler, but storage is an issue. I like the Unlimited a bit, but the pickup styling REALLY works for me on this.

I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Since I already have a Wrangler, I can see that this is beautiful, close relative.

Full text and larger photos from the article can be found link here (CLICKY).

-Paul
  • nmertznmertz Posts: 27
    "I can't believe people are so passionate about this butt ugly truck."

It's a Jeep thing! If you've never owned one, you'll never understand!
  • I owned a '99 Dodge Ram, and now own an '03 Jeep Liberty. The Gladiator would fit perfectly between what I miss about the ride height, overall durability, storage and stowage of the Ram, but the ride, mileage and general "Jeepability" of the Liberty. I am an avid camper and it gets a bit tight in the Liberty with the wife, gear, and 2 German Shepherds, but with the Gladiator my space issues would be solved, and I could remain a loyal Jeep Owner! Not to mention I miss my bed (that never needs to be made) that I could use as a portable front porch to the world. I have 2 enthusiastic words for Daimler Chrysler: BUILD IT!!!! (and I will come, heehee)
  • pugnaxpugnax Posts: 2
    I too would like to own a Jeep Gladiator style pickup (p/u).

I am a Jeep fan who drives a Tacoma 4x4 because the Wrangler in particular or the SUV in general does not have carrying capacity and/or utility of a pickup (Try putting an Elk in the back of anything other than a p/u). I never cared for the Ranger or S-10, and was considering buying a Dakota as my next p/u, but have decided that Tacoma is the better 4x4. I bring this up because if Dodge wishes to block the Gladiator as I read in the press, I think they will loose potential customers as opposed to protect the Dodge p/u line.

It seems as if Jeep is content with coming up with really cool concepts that never see the light of day. The Dakar, Rescue, and Gladiator all vehicles that would make fine editions to the Jeep brand, in my opinion. That said, what does Jeep come out with? An oversized Jeep Cherokee in a market where gas prices are though the roof, and large SUV sales are down. The commander is arguably 36-48 months late to market. This does not make me think too highly of Jeeps product line decisions, which makes me think that the wrong decision will likely be applied to producing a Jeep p/u. Mainly, to not build one.

I really liked and miss my ’87 Comanche, and would buy a Jeep pickup in a heartbeat if they came out with one.
    You're absolutely right, pugnax. I said at the time and I still say that protecting Dodge was the real truth behind Chrysler dropping Jeep trucks in the first place.
    I too had a '87 Comanche that I traded a J10 for. Great little truck, and with the "Metric Ton" suspension package it hauled some pretty good loads, too. Taught three teenagers to drive in it and got over 190K miles before I finally traded it off eleven years later.
  • ajlangajlang Posts: 2
    My first new car was a 92 Jeep Commanche. Only got rid of it after 250,000+ miles for a Jeep Cherokee. It looks like rumors are swirling about the Gladiator going into production. This news article talks about a proposed assembly plant for a new Jeep truck in 2008 (near the bottom of the article):
    http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=3038849
    Autoweek states in a June article that the Gladiator won top honors in Detroit for future/concept pickup. An August article in Autoweek reports that DC will give a thumbs up or down on the Gladiator in the next 6-8 months.
    I hope it comes to pass. I will buy this truck.
    I agree heartily with your thoughts. The Gladiator is the truck for the times. The Dakota does nothing in regard to touching my emotions. I have been a loyal Jeep owner since 1992. At this time we have four within my family. The Gladiator would become the 5th if they produce it. If not, I will be buying a Tacoma probably within the next 9 months. If Jeep would announce production I could wait and continue to use my trailer. The old trailer has a sag and I want a truck. I want a Jeep Gladiator.
  • Personally I think Jeep doesn't need the Gladiator. You say that it is a mistake to debut an SUV now due to high gas prices but a truck is just as much a gas hog as an SUV.
  • weswesweswes Posts: 5
    Wrong. It's same diesel engine as liberty; 2.8 mercedes CRD.
    So far I got about 30 mpg, so if the gladiator is a bit heavier, that
    will drop under 30 miles, but not too much. Besides they are already
    working on some light materials could be used in the future....
  • cjw60cjw60 Posts: 4
    dont need more horse power in it it has enough in it i have the new jeep liberty crd desiel 2.8 same as the soon to be jeep gladiator concept and it has great power i get 23 miles in city 30 high way love my jeep does zero to 60 in 5 sec.more then enough HP and tork.it will push u back in the seat my son found that out when he drove my liberty can't go wrong with 2.8 crd:) :) i can't wait for the gladiator to come out :)
  • cjw60cjw60 Posts: 4
    what is the AVE's Brute ?never seen it
  • pugnaxpugnax Posts: 2
    When I googled ‘AVE's Brute’ I came up with the following:

http://www.jjournal.net/jeep/features/AEVBrute/
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    http://www.aev-conversions.com/Vehicle_Brute.html

These guys also produced a LWB Wrangler long before Jeep brought it out...

-Paul
    Since Jeep is slow in making a Gladiator decision, is anyone familiar with this conversion? http://www.aev-conversions.com/Vehicle_Brute.html Is this a vehicle to fill the void for next two or three years while Jeep procrastinates?
  • Can't wait to buy one!!! I owned a 1988 commanche as my first truck. That little truck was tough. Then I found my J-10 and was in heaven, but gave it up due to having kids and new home and could not afford to keep restoring it.:( Now, I can afford a new vehicle and can only dream about having a Gladiator at this time. One major requirement is that it have a good towing capacity, I need to be able to tow my bass boat (21' ), so I can take my boys fishing!! Anyone know the towing capacity???
  • Check out the HUMMER H3T. The H3 is here and the Truck version is coming. H3T has a retractable roof like the Gladiator and has a cool side door on bed. One draw back it only seats 2. But if you have a family, you probably have a SUV or mini-van to haul everyone anyway!!
  • The H3T is ugly in my opinion. Bring out the Gladiator instead. Not to mention I can almost bet money right now that the Galdiator will out do the H3T in the MPG department. Face it folks, gas prices are not going to get any cheaper and SUV's are never going to be fuel efficient. That said, the diseal engine they have planed to put in the Galdiator is going to save you money down the road compared to the H3T. Just my 2 cents worth.
  • I notice in the Commander forum that Jeep has a rep sitting in and answering questions. If DC is really serious about consumer reactions, they ought to be doing the same thing here!
    Come on DC! We want this truck!
  • boredbored Posts: 300
    The 2.8L CRD in the Liberty is not a Mercedes engine. It's made and engineered by VM Motori in Italy. This company, I believe is a subsidary of Detroit Diesel.
    This thread is getting too quiet again! Has anyone heard or seen anything at all from Chrysler about this truck in the last couple months. I read something a week or two ago from the new CEO to the effect that he "likes the Gladiator concept", but he didn't offer any more encouragement than that on whether they might in fact build it. Come on, DC; there is a market out here for a mid-size diesel pickup!

RE: 2.8 by bored; You're right, VM Motori is a wholly owned subsidiary of Detroit Diesel. We can only hope Detroit acquired them because of the quality of their product.
  • cwbrgcwbrg Posts: 3
    I Agree, it is too qui.te. I would order it today if it was available.
  • dkoopdkoop Posts: 26
    I hope like hell that DC isn't going to pass up the Gladiator to protect the Dak and Ram. I have an 03 Dak Quad Cab and it gets crap mileage with the 4.7l :mad: . If DC wants to protect their gas guzzler line of trucks - fine. Then offer the CRD engines in the jeep line (and I mean the entire US line) and build the Gladiator, too. I almost bought a Libby CRD but fell in love with the Gladiator when I saw it. So now I have to wait and see what the germans will do :confuse: .
    I hope like hell that DC isn't going to pass up the Gladiator to protect the Dak and Ram.

Why do you think they dropped Jeep trucks in the first place. Chrysler started producing Jeeps in 1988 or 1989. The last year for a J-series pickup was 1988. The last year for the Comanche was 1992. Sounds like it was in the plans all along.
  • weswesweswes Posts: 5
    I had a dream last night, I bought brand new Gladiator... it was awesome truck... actually I was a bit disappointed, because it has
    ten wheels and I was thinking for a while, why the hell they put
    ten wheels on it, but still, that was so awesome truck!
    I hope that dream come through, except those extra wheels of course :-)
    I've almost bought the Liberty too, but I hate automatic transmission
    and as they don't offer manual, I was hesitating for so long.... finally I discover Gladiator and decided to wait for him.
    BTW2; it is a shame they don't offer manual, don't you think?
  • dkoopdkoop Posts: 26
    I could not agree more. The 2.8 CRD bolted up to a 6 speed manual would make a fantastic combination for liberty, wrangler, and gladiator (or any light SUV/Truck for that matter). There is no good reason not to have this offering in the entire jeep line-up for the US. You can buy some combinations of this in either the euro or ausie market already. But it really sucks thinking of having to jump on a plane, negotiate to purchase a vehical in a foreign country, pick it up, drive it so it is a used import into the US, ship it, get it through EPA and customs. :sick: I have heard the Mercedes in Frankfurt had an entire program for doing this when the euro was cheap vs the dollar a few years ago.

I can't see how the gladiator would take sales away from Dodge Ram or Dak. It is an entirely different approach to a truck. Or really isn't a truck at all, but a Jeep with a bed. An entirely different automobile than the Dodge products, I think. Back when Chrysler took over jeep and discontinued their truck products, the Dodge Ram was a tired design that was at least 10 years behind the times. That is definitely not true now. Lee made sure that Dodge Trucks were technilogically equal to Ford and GM and now they command their fair share of the light truck market. Gladiator should in no way threaten Dodge light truck sales. So come on DC BUILD IT! Maybe if DC continues to cross polinate between Jeep and Dodge we might see the CRD in some Dodge pruducts, too. One can only dream!
  • aplusaplus Posts: 2
    Word is in couple weeks DC is going to make a discussion on the production of the Gladiator. Anyone hears of anything please post it!