Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac Escalade

Comments

• pdinnispdinnis Posts: 1
    Myself and a friend bought one new 2003 Escalade EXT, and a Escalade only two weeks ago. Both vehicles suffer with a very uncomfortable downshift on the automatic box. Under 1000rpm the box makes a clunk which can be felt through the chassis. It appears GM sees this fault as being normal. Having paid $53000 each for these vehicles it is not the answer we should expect.

We would be interested in any other buyers who are suffering the same problem, only in numbers are GM going to do something about it.

Having driven the Avalanche and earlier pre 2000 Escalades the problem was not apparent until the permanent 4 wheel drive 6 litre Escalades.
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    I have an Isuzu Trooper which runs a GM 4L30E transmission. While slowing to a stop there is a clunk which has been attributed to the torque converter releasing. Supposedly a feature and helps preserve the life of the transmission? The escalade runs the 4L60E which shares the same kind of torque converter clutch. Maybe the same "feature".

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/transmissions/hydra/app- - s/4l60.htm
  • coleoncoleon Posts: 1
    "the high need/status insecure person, and the gold chain crowd account for the bulk (pardon the pun) of the buyers. But thats OK. They have to get to work too. They just look comical doing it."

Hmmm this poster seems like the envious insecure jealous type to me. I went to a recent Lexus Test drive Event and the Cadillac was 2nd best truck out there behind the Lexus. For the money the Cadillac is a good deal compared to the expensive Lexus and Land Rover. Also for later personal stereotypical rants people don't wear gold chains anymore they wear platinium and diamonds.
  • COLEON, OK I stand corrected about fashion accessories. I guess I don't get out much. But what does one now call the garish types that used to be described as the gold chain crowd? I don't think that "the platinium and diamonds crowd" has the same descriptive power or resonance.

I am interested in why you think that the Escalade is such a good deal compared to a Lexus or a Rover. If you want the content that the Escalade offers, a much better deal would be the Denali. Or does that big ol' wreath on the back deck have inherent value?
  • wulf007wulf007 Posts: 20
    So what is your problem Blockislandguy, are you suffering from emblem envy? Base priced Escalade is $20K LESS than the Rover and $12K LESS than the LX470. Comparable vehicle, less money - doesn't take brain surgery. In the Edmunds shoot out of luxury SUV's guess which one came in first. Hint-not Rover or Lexus. The Escalade has better build quality than Denali (ranked second only to Lexus by JD Powers), more horsepower and IMHO a much nicer ride. I think the customer service is better with the Escalade than with GMC as well. Go back and read post 622 and get a clue. I get tired of the Proletariat knocking the Escalade when there are certainly more expensive SUV's out there, including the ones previously mentioned as well as the Navigator and Hummer2. If one needs a larger vehicle with power to tow and AWD and has the coin to get an upscale vehicle why should you care? Its not like you are making the payments or buying the gas. Get a Sante Fe or KIA Sportage if thats your preference. Or here is a novel concept, go out and test drive the vehicles you mentioned and buy whichever one you prefer. My guess is that you don't like any of them and are just using the Escalade as a target for your ranting. So either get the facts before you pontificate or stay on the I hate SUVs Board that was suggested previously.
  • Wulf007, I think you misunderstand my point. I really don't give a hoot what anyone drives and in fact agree with the post you referenced. GTeach26 is right that the more variety there is out there, the more choices are available and the more interesting is the car scene. Further I don't disagree you about with the Edmunds shoot out, the JD Powers report on build quality, the value of large, capable tow vehicles, or your feeling that a Cadilac service department will be a better place to go than a busy GM dealer. I wouldn't argue with you if you feel that in your opinion an Escalade has a better ride than a Denali. Afterall its your body on the seat.

Having said all that, I merely made an observation, that to my eyes the typical Escalade owner could be categorized to some degree. Just like Saab drivers share certain demographic characteristics, Escalade owners do also. Now one can disagree with my characterizations of the Escalade owner because maybe they were abrasive, unpleasant, unkind (yes, I plead guilty), or inaccurate. You could even fly in the face of 50 years of market research and maintain that there is no typical Escalade, Saab, or BMW owner. But my observation has nothing to do with the vehicle's quality, durability, etc. as much as with the tendency of the owners to share certain characteristics.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I prefer the emblem in gold, myself.......
  • welt33welt33 Posts: 1
    blockislandguy,i just bought an escalade ext,I do not own any chains,diamonds or platinium.I work 40 hours a week for a telephone company.I bought an escalade because i liked it and the price was great,I Have no reason to impress anyone with the type of car I drive since my previous car was and still is a 1989 toyota tercel,which I drive more than the ext.So am I the typical escalade owner?I think you wish you had an escalade or maybe your a litte envious.
    I think it is "emblem-envy", actually...... Soo many people seem to dislike their looks, but I think they fit in the family very nicely.
  • jdevoy1jdevoy1 Posts: 3
    My wife went out yesterday and tried to start our new 2003 Escalade and it was totally dead. When it got to the dealer they accused us of having another key made for it (which is not true). They reset the computer and then asked to borrow the car for the weekend so they could test drive it (yeah, right, probably wanted to take it to their vacation house). Has anyone else had their Escalade shut down due to official key recognition problems?
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    I once had issues with having my wife's Lexus key (has its own security chip)on the same key ring as my Lincoln Navigator key. It seems the Lexus chip was causing interference with the Lincoln's key recognition computer in the dash. This was a few years back in a 2000 gator. After a few times of the engine not starting I eliminated the Lexus key from my key ring and all was perfect. Could something similar be happening to you? Check to make sure no other keys in your key ring have a security chip, remove the other key(s) and see if this solves the problem.
  • jdevoy1jdevoy1 Posts: 3
    We do also have a BMW with chip recognition key! Maybe that is it...
  • riverfamriverfam Posts: 1
    We love our 2003 AWD Escalade. Pulls our boat better than any other SUV or truck we have ever owned. But..........have had it in the shop twice now for a winding up sound as you accelerate, and winding down hum as you decelerate. Sound is horrible in the morning when the car is cold, sound softens as car warms up. We also feel a vibration in the steering wheel and in the brake pedal since the winding hum has appeared. Just picked up car yesterday for the second time to have this problem taken care of, but the car is still having the same problem. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing this problem?
    Sounds as if it may be a malfunctioning fan clutch.
  • brilesbriles Posts: 3
    I had the same problem, car was just dead! Had it towed to dealer. They said they had a recall with regard to the programming. Something to do with the battery being drained while the vehicle was off. Mine is a 2003 and beein in shop 6 times for suspension and steering problems too! On hard turns steering wheel does not rotate back. Has anyone had those problems?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,296
    The Cadillac of stolen cars (Post Gazette)

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I would like to know if anyone has a problem or discovered with their EXT everytime it rains it penetrates thru the panels and water sits in the bed area.
    If you check out the Avalance board, you'll find it's very common....
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    What do you expect?

-mike
    Well, you expect the cab to stay dry if the windows are up. These don't though.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    He was talking about the cab? I thought he meant the bed cover got wet under it.

-mike
    The folks on the Avalance board say if you park the truck downhill in the rain, your floor of the cab fills up with water. A slight annoyance should you like dry feet...
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    I looked at the Cadillac Escalade for the first time yesterday. I've been thinking of changing to a larger SUV (currently a 2002 Mercedes ML500 w/3rd seat).

My first choice was the Lincoln Navigator because of the looks, auto tailgate and fold flat third seats. But, the darn sunvisors don't extend when pulled to the sides (very importantt feature to me).

Since there is a Cadillac dealer near my home (closer than a GMC dealer) I decided to check them out. I have to say I was impressed with them. I would prefer the Escalade ESV personally. And yes, it has the completely adjustable sunvisors.

My question is, do any of you have the Navigational system? The one that I looked at had everything but a nav system. Also, how is the air conditioning system? Is it ice cold and will blow your wig off?

I have not bought a GM product since my new 1981 Oldsmobile. What a disaster! (engine failure, electrical problems, suspension problems). Basically since then, I've stuck with the Japanese and currently, German cars. As a second car, I've had a couple of Jeep Grand Cherokees that I liked with decent reliability.

So, if any of you have comments on the air and nav system, it would be appreciated. Thanks, Mark156
    Almost two months go by and no one is talking on this thread? I see tons of Escalades driving around so surely someone has something to say about their SUV.

The Escalade must be running pretty smooth with no glitches. On the other sights, people nit pick on the smallest things....... or is GM paying everyone not to respond here......??????

LOL! Mark
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    ...or is GM paying everyone not to respond here......??????

You mean you didn't get your check?? ;-)

Feel free to bring up issues that concern you. That's likely to get the ball rolling again.

tidester, host
    Tidester, I'm really thinking of buying one of these in the next couple of weeks and I would like people to talk about them. I hear so much about vehicles on other threads but this thread is asleep.

My concerns were about the navagational system and the air conditioning as stated in the posts above. Hopefully, someone will respond with info.

Happy Motoring. Mark156
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    I've never driven one but anyone I've ever heard talk about an Escalade has nothing but praise for them. Do some research on the nav system before you buy - some older systems lack features that you might want and I don't know what system Cadillac is using.

tidester, host
    Some think that GM owners, esp. Caddy owners, are older and not net saavy. I think that's way off-base since I help a couple of 70 year olds with their domains now and then and they are plenty net capable. Plus lots of people like you don't fit the Caddy age stereotype.

Others posit that domestic owners don't talk about cars in general like owners of import makes. But that doesn't explain why the Wrangler board is often in the top ten around here.

How are Escalade sales doing anyway? Anyone seen any recent numbers? Are the incentives a major factor in your shopping?

Steve, Host

• eaton53eaton53 Posts: 356
    The Slade, EXT and ESV are on pace to sell about 60K units this year. It's the best selling luxury SUV.

The newest Cadillac models don't require heavy discounting to sell, although the Slade has had occasional incentives. I don't think there's anything now.

Nothing exists that is bigger and stronger - it even handles well for a big guy, thanks to Caddy's suspension tricks. Cadillacs perform well in the reliability surveys too.... if you want one of these, go for it.
    Every year, the Edmunds.com editors gather to ponder that eternal question, "What cars or trucks would we most want to park in our garage?"

Large SUV Over $45,000: Escalade/Escalade ESV

Steve, Host