Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota on the mend?

Comments

• Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Yes, I think you're right if the customer so demanded. There are only 2 bolts plus a wiring plug holding the entire gas pedal assembly in place.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Throttle-pedal assemblies from Toyota's other supplier, Denso, are not all interchangeable, eliminating that as a quick-fix solution, Toyota says.

No to Denso
  • Options
    roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    are not all interchangeable.

Pretty vague, but some are then. So they know which models they are compatible with.

So print a list and let us know Toyota. It's time to open up on this.
  • Options
    dturrdturr Member Posts: 70
    That is what european customers have been demanding. This shim looks bad news to me. If I could purchase the pedals at a reasonable cost I would. What value on an accident and a life.
  • Options
    revitrevit Member Posts: 476
    Avalon changes as basically a styling refresh :confuse:

Toyota calls it "boldly redesigned"

Boldly Redesigned = Refresh? No way ;)
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    You must be referring to the Motors Liquidation company. They no longer make cars.

Your logic and argument are non-sense. There is no "new" GM company. It is the EXACT same old company by a slightly different legal name. Changing your name doesn't fool anybody. There's a lousy taco shop near me who's MO is to change their name every year so that you'll try them again since they are so lousy. It worked twice on me, but never again.

It is still GM, and it is still run by all the same failures of people that ran it before. The people of GM are all failures to the human race. If we believed in the greater good, they'd of all committed suicide Japanese style. :P
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    This shim looks bad news to me. If I could purchase the pedals at a reasonable cost I would.

$15 bucks is too much for you? How about "What value on an accident and a life"?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    Well, let's see:

If

Precision Cut Steel Reinforcement Bar = Stamped Nickel Thickness Shim

then OF COURSE

Boldly Redesigned = Refresh.

What is wrong with you? :)
  • Options
    If a driver doesn't know better than to shift to neutral when UA happens, then that is Darwinism at work.

Population control is a good thing.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    YOUTUBE

My 2005 Chevy Cobalt's power steering went out around the 45,000 mark. I found hundreds of other Cobalt drivers that have had the same problem and had to pay $900-$2500 to repair their car. GM is aware of this problem but has chosen to do nothing about it. The only thing we can do is get everyone out there to call the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and let them know of this issue in hopes of a future recall. Thanks for watching!

It only takes five minutes, so please call in!

Oh snap, smells like a coverup! Revit where are you!

Everyone needs to forward this to their local news outlet! Time to get some legs on this one! There is more money to be made! Remember hysteria sells newspapers! :shades:
  • Options
    link title

Toyota's recall woes are bad for industry: GM exec

"The industry perspective of this is no one likes to see another competitor be put through that," said Mark Reuss, president of GM's North American division.

"We like to have a healthy industry and we like to be able to compete on a level playing field."

LOL, they forgot to mention the grin like one gets after winning the lottery :shades:
  • Options
    pjc1pjc1 Member Posts: 72
    Isn't suicide a bit much in response to poorly built cars?
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    >My 2005 Chevy Cobalt's power steering

Your profile doesn't show a Cobalt as one of your cars, anythngbutgm.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    >Isn't suicide a bit much in response to poorly built cars?

Didn't the guy responsible for some lead paint on kids' toys commit suicide?

Lead paint for kids vs lying, stalling, and misleading about safety cars in which women and children ride daily... Hmmmm.

• Options
    No-show for Toyota's Akio

‘No-show Akio’ – that was the nickname given to Toyota’s CEO when he failed to make a public apology at the beginning of Toyota’s recent recall issues. A day after that nickname made it big in the media, Akio Toyoda quickly scheduled a last minute press conference apologizing to customers. Toyoda is even said to be planning a trip to the United States in the upcoming days.

However, some experts aren’t buying it. According to William Peek over at BusinessWeek, Toyoda should resign his position as CEO.

“He must go not because of the company’s biggest-ever and growing recall, but to take responsibility for how pathetically he is handling the crisis. Thanks to unsteady leadership, Toyota’s market value has lost the equivalent of Latvia’s annual gross domestic product since Jan. 21. Last week’s hastily arranged press conference with Toyoda changed nothing. This is still a textbook case of how not to tackle a public-relations debacle. Toyota’s strategy — denial, downplaying problems, avoiding the media — turned a safety problem into a scandal that M.B.A. students will study for years. It also sheds light on where Japan finds itself in 2010.”
  • Options
    Toyota and Lexus Dominate 2010 IntelliChoice.com Best Overall Values of the Year Awards

link title
  • Options
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    LOL !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    tomjavatomjava Member Posts: 136
    Thanks for the link. Why there is no much hysteria on this issue? :confuse:
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    revit....I know you have taken some shots for your Toyota views. And, to some, both of our views are somewhat unpolular, in what we consider an serious issue. But, that made me smile. Thanks!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    somewhat unpopular?

Now that is an understatement ;)

Besides the Toyota Recalls Everything, here is another one you might like:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1fa877/1272#MSG1272

ENJOY! :shades:
  • Options
    smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    revit I'm just curious, why do you hate Toyota so much? I'm seriously curious to find out; is it because of the problems you had with your Toyota? would you like Toyota to close and go bankrupt?

what is the purpose and really what is their to gain out of constantly putting them down? their resale values are falling, their reputation has been tarnished, and they are going to be getting sued; isn't that punishment enough?
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    revit....

Yeah I too was kind of down on all his negative posts, but I will admit, some are very entertaining. And my attitude towards Toyota has changed considerably more negative recently. This will go down as a case study in college courses on how to run your corporate image in to the ground.
  • Options
    Hate? By no means, that is such a harsh word. I am just still amazed how Toyota has built their "entire" reputation on quality, with an emphasis on setting above the competition. Long and behold, they chose to then focus on being the biggest and in the process lost everything that stood for and to supposedly set them apart from Honda, Nissan, etc.

To make matters worse, owners have had issues with their cars for up to 5 years, all along Toyota trying to blame the owner, suppliers, etc. Granted other automakers have had issues before involving recalls, but again, Toyota and no one else has nearly demanded the perception of "better and above the rest".

Many have bought into this mentality over the years to the point of "you don't own a good car unless its a Toyota". So again, hate? Certainly not, but as we have seen any other industries, be careful what you ask for as it eventually comes back to haunt you. Do I think Toyota has learned their lesson? No! Do I think Toyota is truly sincere with their current advertisements of the customer comes first? No! Do I think Toyota would had preferred all of this be kept under the rug? Yes! So again, Toyota brought this on themselves, while many continue to blame the media or individuals such as myself who do not share this mentality "Toyota can do no wrong".

So in closing, if Toyota wants to continue to be perceived as "the best", they have some MAJOR changes to make. Based on the past several weeks, it has become apparent Toyota is just like any other automaker. Their approach and arrogant attitude has only made owners more disappointed in them because as of today, it is obvious the President of Toyota is saying one thing and doing another. Lessons Learned: Practice what you preach. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kaizen ;, Japanese for "improvement") is a Japanese term that has been adopted into English. Kaizen refers to a philosophy or practices that focus upon continuous improvement in manufacturing activities, business activities in general, and even life in general,

So revit,
    how do you rate the way Kaizen has been working for toyota? We heard so much about how wonder it was and that was the reason toyota has such wunderbar autos.

Is it a 1, poorest
    or is it a 10, best?

• Options
    driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    I'm sure Revit is just trying to counter all the hip hip hooraying that has gone on for so long with the Toyota brands. So be it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    revit I understand your bummed and disappointed in Toyota and I don't blame you; and thank you for being honest, I'm not trying to put you down because I really wanted to know, especially from someone with a Toyota why you feel the way you do! I had similar disappointment and frustration in GM for almost 30 years and was tired of being told that having alternators, converters, pumps, etc replaced on 3-4 year old cars was normal wear and tear and that having the power steering cut out at 50mph on the highway was not a safety issues

I'm not trying to excuse what Toyota did but just keep in mind, this is hardly a problem Toyota is sole guilty of; I was not surprised when this stuff with Toyota came out this year; I new it was only a matter of time till the Japanese car companies showed their true greedy qualities just like American car companies did years earlier!

no car company has ever been for the consumer; they are only concerned about making profit and screwing the customer over at every opportunity; the American car companies were certainly guilty of this and now people are realizing that the Japanese companies are no different!

also, I don't completely buy the "Toyota is suppose to be of the highest quality and above the rest slogans" so that is why this is so bad and shocking; every car company claims they are of the highest quality and above the rest; back in the 1980s, 1990s, and early 2000s, Ford, GM, and Chrysler all said they had the highest quality and were better than the Japanese despite having Fisher price quality interiors, poor reliability, and having people, like myself, have 2-3 year old cars towed to the dealership that needed thousands of dollars in repair work

I think the CEO of GM said the other day that this stuff going on with Toyota hurts the entire industry, not just Toyota and he is absolutely correct and I was happy to hear and see one of the American Car Company big wigs finally admit; lets just hope this big screw-up by Toyota will open the eyes of not just Toyota but the entire car industry that they need to change their ways and saying "customer service comes first" and doing that are two entirely different things
  • Options
    agree with you; I always felt Toyota and Lexus built nice reliable cars but I never got how some people would salivate over them; they are okay cars but nothing that stands out to you or to write home about; the 2011 Avalon is a great example of that ;)
  • Options
    Well about 20 years ago, Mercedes had the slogan, "engineered like no other," and they were perceived to be the best cars in the world for overall quality and durability (but not of course, maintenance and repair costs).

When I was a teenager in the 60s, it was Rolls-Royce that had that reputation (best in the world, if you could afford the price of entry).

The Camrys and the Nissan Frontier that I have now and the Camry I sold in 2004 have been the most trouble-free cars I have owned in nearly 35 years since I bought my first new car.
  • Options
    kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    I asked in a earlier post about conflict of interest by Obama's administration against Toyota. I found this on autoblog.com

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/11/report-group-of-governors-take-issue-with-oba- ma-administration/
  • Options
    delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    Here`s a link to Toyota`s comeback plan straight from the horse`s mouth[article by Toyota head Akio Toyoda].. Toyota is coming back with a bang !! :shades: :P
    link title
  • Options
    Isn't suicide a bit much in response to poorly built cars?

Perhaps, but it is the appropriate response when you run a company that is "too big to fail" into the ground.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In all fairness Wagoner did not fall on his sword. He just took the $14,000,000 from Obama and left. He should have at least been stripped to the waist and caned in downtown Detroit for being a big part of destroying the largest auto maker on the planet.

Of course the Japanese have a different culture and maybe Toyoda needs to do something. Though he did just take over. Toyota has been headed down hill at least 5 years.
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    revit is to Toyota what andres3 is to Chrysler.
  • Options
    deltheking....nice find.....and, at least Mr. Toyoda has finally admitted that their cars are faulty. More important is his commitment to making them better, and working with consumers and agencies instead of doing the old "duck and cover" routine.

Lots of people put their faith in Toyota/Lexus/Scion based on the belief that they built high quality and safe vehicles. As has been shown in recent years, their quality has slipped to the point where it became a mirror image of what plagued the American auto industry in the '80s and part of the the '90s. That is, "crank out as many as we can, as fast as we can. We'll fix them later."

Unfortunate, mostly for the consumers and Toyota dealerships, that turned into some vehicles that were not only built poorly, but unsafe, to boot. Regardless of the outcome of Toyota's meetings with the NHTSA or Congress, the customers, at best, are faced with the inconveniences of getting their vehicle to their dealership to have floormats, accelerators, software, and whatever else Toyota comes up with, fixed. At worst, some have had accidents, injuries, and in some reports, deaths, associated with Toyota's maladies. In addition to all of that, customers are now faced with plummeting resale values of their cars, too. Dealerships are faced with the costs associated while dealing with unprecedented recalls, and a loss of goodwill.

In short, it's been a disaster for just about everyone involved.

The good news is Mr. Toyoda is saying the words that everyone wants to hear.....(paraphrasing), "We screwed up....badly. We're sorry. We're going to be better. And, here are the steps we're taking to make us better."

Words are one thing. Actions are something else. If there's a company who can turn themselves around dramatically, I'd bet on Toyota being able to do it, if they don't forget what Mr. Toyoda stated. It's going to take awhile for faith to be restored....maybe a year, maybe two....maybe 5 years. As they say, "the longest of journey begins with the first step". Toyota has taken that first step.

I believe that their "secret" software workaround should at least give owners a real, workable response for UA, and probably braking issues, too. I'd like to know exactly what the software being installed is for. Is it a "bug" fix? Is it an implementation of brake over ride? Both? At least they're starting to implement it.
  • Options
    You didn't have to spend all that money for a Rolls-Royce. You could've got one of these!

The 1965 Ford Galaxie LTD: Quieter Than a Rolls-Royce!
  • Options
    I should have taken a picture of my coworkers model before he left the company. It was the same model right down to the year and color!
  • Options
    lemko....my late Father had one of those LTDs. Excepting the color (his was black), it looked identical. While I was just a young'un, I remember playing in the back seat of it, which seemed HUGE at the time.

I think he kept it until the mid-'70s? Don't recall him having any particular problems with it, except I do remember it was quite rusty when he finally got rid of it.

Brings back a lot of memories.
  • Options
    My wife's first car was a 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 sedan that was handed down to her from her Dad.
  • Options
    And styling by Pontiac!

BTW, I actually remember those ads when they were first aired.
  • Options
  • Options
    How many ended in fiery crashes killing several people? Having a crooked glove box is hardly in the same league as SUA. That has been the complaint with many ratings. They do not differentiate by severity. I think the current torrent of recalls is justified. When Toyota comes up with a legitimate fix they can go about rebuilding their once stellar reputation.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    +1 for Edmunds. And Gary, they do admit the shortcomings of their analysis.

Presumably, people will not be complaining to NHTSA (it has "safety" as part of its name) because of a crooked glove box lid, although I admit there are a lot of crackpot complaints in the database.
  • Options
    I admit there are a lot of crackpot complaints in the database.

If you want a good laugh you just have to read a few. I cannot believe what some folks will report.
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Gary, remember - the "fiery crash" has not been definitely linked to a UA defect. It might have been a stuck floormat, at least according to the police investigation.

That crash was in part driver error for not putting the car into neutral (or park) or turning the car off.
  • Options
    I agree. It's better than some comedy shows on TV.
  • Options
    Yes, and that was the same car where another driver experienced a stuck gas pedal just a few days before. He was able to stop the car and pull back the offending mat, which was from the wrong vehicle and placed on top of the factory mat. He even complained to the dealership.
  • Options
    lemko....now, you're dating yourself (or, you're dating your wife). :P

You made me do some digging....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHfIORDHq3A

To keep somewhat on topic, maybe Toyota is now devising what's bound to be their new message going forward..
  • Options
    >for not putting the car into neutral (or park) or turning the car off.

Would the car go into neutral or was the transmission locked into drive due to the torque per wwest's suggestion?

Also requiring a 3 second or more push on the start button to turn the car _off_ is not logical. I read someone post that another vehicle brand has the off occuring if the button is tapped three times.

• Options
    So anyone think that Toyota will be replacing their current tagline of "Moving Forward"?

Sure doesn't sit well with everything going on.

Maybe...."Toyota. There's No Stopping Us." ;)