Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• Options
    topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    "I'm afraid I will need to sell this car very soon at a loss unless I can fix the seat."

Why not go to the aftermarket seat store to see if they can get you a new seat? It would hopefully beat paying for the hit that you may need to take..
  • Options
    vietviet Member Posts: 847
    The seat and head/ neck support were set up in that forward position to meet the US federal authority's requirement to prevent driver's head and neck injuries in case of accident.
  • Options
    vabzvabz Member Posts: 1
    Could someone tell me if this is a reasonable quote for a Accord Coupe EX-L 4-cyl Black:

$26,572.16 Including tax, plate & accessories:
    Numbers Breakdown:
    $24,062 Invoice on Accord
    $199 Paint Protection coat with Warranty
    Moon Roof Visor $179
    Mudd Flapps $129
    All Season Matts $139
    7 % Sales Tax $1,728.16
    New Plate Fees $156
  • Options
    st1300st1300 Member Posts: 59
    thats a very good price they are jacking the prices on the accessories but giving you a low invoice price...thats a good deal....mine was 24900 plus tax in sept...go get it..make sure their price includes the 695 delivery charge
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    This is a fairly common problem it seems. I found the civic and Accord (new one) to have a bit too much lumbar bump. For some reason, my 2005 seems better, although I would like a little more support at the very bottom.

However, I can drive our 2005 Odyssey all day without a complaint.

SOme people on the Ody boards complained of the the same problem as you, and a couple actually traded out. Just different shap folks I guess, since for every one with problems, there were 2 that found it super comfy!

The only remedy I know of is to open up the seat and make adjustments. Some Ody owners had the lumbar bar (plastic I think, they peice that goes in and out) removed, and a couple I recall had the seat foam reshaped. You would need a custom upholstry shop for that.

You can also experiment with back cushions. Maybe bring the bottom out to match?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    bluewonderbluewonder Member Posts: 19
    does the 08 accord sedan sit low to the ground like some of the older models? is it hard to get out of...say for an older person...or a person with back problems?
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    I like the step in height of the new CRV. Go to your dealer and "step in" to 'em all.
  • Options
    rockdoctor1rockdoctor1 Member Posts: 10
    I called my service mngr at 5500 miles concerned my remaining oil life was at 50%. He said don't bring it in until you hit 15% remaining. Six weeks later the Maintenance Minder finally woke up at 8800 miles. I was on the road and by the time I go in for the first oil change my odometer read 9222 miles. I can't believe I'm rotating the tires at the first oil change.

My worst tank mileage was 25.1 mpg, and my best was 30.2 mpg. Thats 70% interstate at 74-78 mph. I bought 5 yrs of XM radio I like it so much. I added the interior illumination kit which I think is the coolest. It is almost like black light lighting up the front floors. My 12 yr old son psyches-up for basketball games by 'charging' up his white hightops b4 every game.

I love this car.
  • Options
    blmindblmind Member Posts: 3
    I am in the position of needing to buy 2 cars. Currently have decided on the 2008 4Dr Accord EXL V6 W/ NAV and 2008 2Dr Accord EX automatic. Because of an expiring lease and the need to add another car to the family, I need to purchase these cars late Jan to late Feb. Should I have any expectations of a better than average deal because I’m buying two cars at the same time? Any advice on how to negotiate buying two 2008 Accords is appreciated. I live in the Philadelphia PA area.
  • Options
    probably doesn't make much difference, but you can certainly negotiate together, although they will still be seperate deals.

You will have to pick out both cars first to know what you are negotiating on.

I wouldn't expect some phenonmanal deal, 2 might seem like a lot to you, but isn't that big a deal for them!

• Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    If you look at the Accord Lease Forums, you'll see that the lease rates are not very good. The prices of the car are pretty good, but it is the lease rates that are killing your payment. When working on a deal, you'll have to negotiate on each car, because that is how they work, but the dealer might give you some kind of incentive to give you since you are buying 2 cars, but that is limited.

Do not buy right now, wait til February when there might better lease rates.
    But, there might not be any difference, and if you lease now, than expect to pay above what you should normally being paying on payment. Most dealers are willing to work on price now, but there is limited things they can do on the overall lease rate.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if we are able to get the chrome handles on the 4cyl, accords?
    Also, My dealer said you can get the bluetooth as an accessory, is this true, if it is, than how do they install it, are they buttons on the steering wheel like with the navi?
  • Options
    parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    As you may know the chro,e handles are available only for the V6 EXL so your only option would be maybe special order the parts and have them installed or do it yourself. I don't think the bluetooth that the dealer mentioned is a Honda accessory as Honda's integrates with the Navi. After market bluetooths are available online and integrate with the car's radio through the speakers but the ones I have seen have their own screen to show caller id, etc.
  • Options
    Ya, well a dealer had the chrome on a 4cyl accord, and the dealer told me that if I wanted blue tooth the could put that in, for those that are non nav equipped.
  • Options
    vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Bvdj84:

Yes, the chrome handles look new and bold. Go for it. I like them too. Cheer :-)
  • Options
    khoeykhoey Member Posts: 35
    You should be able to take the time crunch out by extending your current lease, on a month to month basis. Contact your lender.

Dealers love it when you think you're under the gun.
  • Options
    Yes, Honda will extend your lease from month to month. That will be fine, I would wait, that would be the most ideal plan, besides, when it is warmer out, you'll enjoy your new car even more.Honda will soon have to up the lease deals.

Contact American Honda Finance, and let them know your situation, it will not be a problem.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.

Our current car with the expiring lease is an Avalon. We are planning to replace the Avalon with the V6 Accord sedan. We are most likely going to need to enter into another lease - this is a company car that is in our name but we are reimbursed by the company every month and the company likes leases. I'm sure we would be able to extend the Avalon lease month to month if necessary if the Accord lease rates continue to be terrible. The 2nd Accord, the coupe, we want to buy outright, no need for a lease or financing, but it is needed in the next month or so, we really can't stretch it out too far. I guess now the question becomes, do we separate our timetable on the two cars and get the coupe in the next month or so or do we still try to leverage (if there is any) purchasing two cars at the same time.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    You might try getting two individual quotes on these vehicles from several dealers, then if one dealer has the best quote on one vehicle, but not another, go to them and see if they'll make two deals worth having at the one dealership (i.e. give you a better deal on both).

Just a thought.
  • Options
    Lease deals are bad, but the purchasing prices on the 08 Accords are pretty good. Dealers are now becoming able to work on good prices on these cars. I would do a deal on the coupe if you are going to buy it out right, you can do pretty good on the price. But, I would hold off on the Accord lease, if you are able to, otherwise, you will not achieve a good deal, and in few months, there will be better deals at some point.
    At this time you would have to put more down, to achieve the same payment.
  • Options
    driver_guydriver_guy Member Posts: 1
    I just recently purchased a 2008 Accord Coupe EX-L and I also noticed a pain in my lower back after driving it for a short period of time. I absolutely love everything else about the car, but the lower back pain is concerning me. Does anyone have any recommended solutions for the automatic seat settings or any other options to help with this problem? Please let me know. Thank you.
  • Options
    bearblackbearblack Member Posts: 8
    I think that pain in your back is related to:
    Spending way to much money for a substandard USA made Honda. I know, I bought one too! I also, should have driven one prior to dishing out a bunch cash on Honda's "past reputation"
    If all your problems so far has been only a "pain in the back" then consider yourself lucky. My 08 Accord EX has been in the shop 4 times in one mo. with vibration problems at highway speeds. 4th visits and new tires still have not solved the vibrations. Lucky me! We should have spent a few grand more and bought a base Infinity G. And that's comming from a prior owner of 5 prior Honda cars.
  • Options
    phantomvphantomv Member Posts: 101
    Hope you have driven various EXL V-6 sedans and truly gotten to feel comfortable with the VCM - BEWARE - there are many of us out here VERY unhappy with it. A short test drive? No big deal - live with its constant herky jerky shifting into and out of 6-4-3 operation and attendant transmission activity and it will drive you nuts.
    Se if you can get one to try for a few days. Believe me - you will reconsider.

Check out this board for more on the Accord '08 V-6 VCM. Fair warning
  • Options
    bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    :lemon: An outrageous vibration problem at highway speeds doesn't sound like a model-wide issue to me. . . .my 08 Accord doesn't vibrate???? You know, that's why the federal government and every state in the union have adopted lemon laws. When you sell 400,000 + vehicles in ONE YEAR, you ain't gonna get them all right! Even with Honda, you need to test drive the car before you lay down the cash! Cars ain't deodorant . . you can try them before you buy them. . . . .

Make sure and document all your problems and research your state's lemon law. Don't depend on the dealership to do it for you. Once you have met all the criteria under the lemon law, there isn't much that Honda can do--- other than give you a new car! Good luck!
  • Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Man I LOVE the seat in my 08 LX, sorry you guys are having trouble. :(
  • Options
    dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    My 08 EX-L V6 seats are very comfortable. This past weekend I made a trip to Maine and back and put a total of about 8 hours in the drivers seat and only made minor adjustments to the lumber support just to vary things a bit as the hours accumulated. They are very firm seats, but I find that this firmness adds to the support required for a comfortable drive.
  • Options
    carlupicarlupi Member Posts: 52
    I had exactly the same problem with the previous model Accord. I loved everything about the car but, no matter what adjustment I tried, the seats killed my back after 30-45 minutes of driving. After about 5 months of trying I gave the car to my wife (who finds the seats less uncomfortable) and took her older car for my use. My father owned three Accords (late 80's and 90s models); for each car he had to buy aftermarket seat cushions and lumbar supports in order to make the seats comfortable.
  • Options
    Lets get a showing of the physical characteristics of the people who find the seats uncomfortable. I am wondering if some seats are not made as well - or whether the seats are all the same -- but are not well designed to fit all body types. I'll start:

I'm 6' tall, weigh about 160 and have an 08 EX-L with power seats and lumbar support. I feel the "lump" in my back, but it fits and I find my seats to be very comfortable.

(With regard to firmness, have you ever noticed how firm airplane seats are? Generally speaking, firmer seats make you MORE comfortable on long trips)
  • Options
    canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Every year I read the same thing > the seats are too hard, so this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who's been to Edmunds before. There is no doubt about it IMO as my 1999 LX also has seats that are uncomfortable on long trips. But it's the wifes daily driver, and she loves the car so much she won't replace it. To date it has been the most dependable vehicle either of us have ever owned.
  • Options
    I agree about firm seats - biggest complaint about earlier Legends for me was the seats were too soft. Best seats I have ever had? 1986 BMW 5 Series - firm and comfortable. Drive all day and never have a problem.

I dare say, at risk of offending some, the Honda front seats are slim and well bolstered on the sides. If one were not on the slim side, I could see these seats not being comfortable. Try sitting in an S2000 with the Recaro designed seats!!! Talk about a tight fit!.
  • Options
    I don't think the issue is with being too firm. The problems that some seem to have (and I have with certain Hondas) is that the lumber support is too pronounced, and not always in the right place.

• Options
    I'm 6' tall and...well... fat. ;)

I love the way honda makes their seats and always have (this is my 3rd Honda), firm, nice firm lumbar bump, wide, and most of all, a long bottom cushion that actually supports your thighs (something my VW Passat lacked).

Very pleased.
  • Options
    I've been VERY happy with my 08 LX so far but finally came up with one little thing that is confounding me... I can't seem to get the windshield washers set right. They are always either too low or too high.

Too high and they work great on the highway but go over the roof around tonw.
    Too low and they work great around town but don't reach the center of the glass on the highway.

A very, very minor niggle but it's the only thing I can come up with that isn't perfect. ;)
  • Options
    seoprotegeseoprotege Member Posts: 3
    Firstly, you guys rock. Long time reader, but first time poster. I am looking to lease the Honda Accord Coupe EX V4 for my fiance for 36 months (12,000mi).

She test drove it, loved it, etc...

The guy tells me,
    $2,000 down
    $358.37/month
    $15,002 Residual

So, what's up with this guy.. Where do I even start?!?! : / Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    The seat back puts pressure on lower back when it is not necessary. It is not that it is too hard or soft. It just pushes against the lower back when is totally not necessary.

I just think Honda needs to look at Sonata, Camry, Lincoln LS, MB E-430 to see how well their seats are built,. I name these because they have the right contour.

Once I know I do not distrurb the saet side airbag, I will taking the back panel off, and making cuts in the foam, and remove foam from the outside to reduce the seat cushion.

Joe
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    It is highly recommended that you pay NOTHING down. If the car is totaled, you are out the $2,000.

Before discussing leases, you should find the best purchase price. Then and only then, you should bring up the "possibility" that you "might" consider leasing. That way, the basis for the lease is usually the substantially lower sell price.

You should also be doing your homework here:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef9da10?displayRecent
  • Options
    SEOPROTEGE:

We can continue the conversation of leases in the lease forums, but your deal. seem a little steep. $2,000 is alot to put down, plus it is only an EX, when that price would be more like an EX-L. Remember lease rates are very strict, and honda has no support on the deals right now.

Work on price, then work on the lease, START WITH $0, don't tell the dealer that your going to put anything down. Then if you feel you need the payment lower, than put some down, but remember it is a lease.

I think you can get an EX-L for that deal! In fact with very little down, with your payment offered. But only when honda is having better rates though.

We'll continue this in the lease forums. If this is your first deal, remember, don't take the first deal. Patience is key!
  • Options
    rbentonwrbentonw Member Posts: 2
    I don't want to tell you what to buy but the new Accord won't compare to the Avalon you have now. I wouldn't trade my 06 Avalon for my wifes new Accord for anything. The Accord has a terrible ride and with a 4 cyl. doesn't get any better gas mileage than my V6 Avalon. I guess you do what you have to but I think you will be sorry later.
  • Options
    ....I am looking to lease the Honda Accord Coupe EX V4 for my fiance for 36 months (12,000mi).

She test drove it, loved it, etc...

The guy tells me,
    $2,000 down
    $358.37/month
    $15,002 Residual

So, what's up with this guy.. Where do I even start?!?! : / Thanks in advance!

That's basically my BUY deal on my LX... $2k down, about $350/month over 5 years.

I think you can do better.
  • Options
    networkguynetworkguy Member Posts: 53
    The Accord has a terrible ride and with a 4 cyl. doesn't get any better gas mileage than my V6 Avalon.

I've owned 2 Accords, although I haven't drive the new one. I rented a brand new Avalon last year while on vacation. I thought it was a great car. Lots of power, fairly luxurious interior, very quiet. I wasn't that fond of the driving dynamics. It felt isolated and slow to respond. IMO, the Accord provides much better feedback. The ride certainly isn't as cushy as the Toyota, but offers better road feel and handling response. More of a 'drivers car'. I guess ride quality is as subjective as styling.
  • Options
    rbentonwrbentonw Member Posts: 2
    Bought a 08 Accord EX 4 cyl in Oct. The ride is very stiff. My 2000 Civic rode better. It doesn't have outside temp display or auto headlights which were standard on my 05 Camry LE. You would think an EX would have temp display and auto lights without getting a V6 or leather. Also have had to many squeaks an rattles. I've had two other Hondas and two Toyotas. I think Honda is going the same route as GM. They are slowing making their cars cheaper and higher priced. The 08 Accord is probably the worst one they have made. Anyone thinking about buying one needs to take a long test ride over bumpy roads. Motor Trend just rated the Accord 3rd behind the Camry and the Malibu and we all know how bad the Malibu was.
  • Options
    The prior post mentions the Motor Trend review of the Accord. With the possible exception of consumer reports (which doesn't depend on advertising from the manufacturers), I read those reviews for entertainment value only!!!

I don't mean to harsh on our hosts, but they have provided us with a perfect example of the level of journalistic/editorial integrity being exercised . . . . .check out Edmunds.com's currently posted review of the 08 Mustang. :confuse: Here is what they had to say:

"Despite its switch to an all-new platform a few years ago, the 2008 Ford Mustang continues to use a rather basic solid-axle rear suspension design. This allows Ford to keep the pricing low, and careful tuning results in reasonably precise handling through the corners and a surprisingly compliant ride."

I'll bet ----- a "surprisingly compliant ride" right into the borrow ditch! I wonder if the writer penned that with a straight face -- or, more likely, the editor inserted that kind of !@#$@%^ in order to keep the publisher happy with its advertising revenue.

:confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Motor Trend just rated the Accord 3rd behind the Camry and the Malibu and we all know how bad the Malibu was.

How bad the Malibu "was?" The Malibu isn't old enough to be a "was"! It is brand new, just like the Honda.
  • Options
    We have to keep in mind of each of our opinions that we have for the 08 accord, based on our own liking, what we have driven. I believe we are almost being too critical of the 08 accord, which is fine, because after all this is a forum for this reason. Most of the opinions of the accord have already been mentioned a million times, but realize that it is the Accord, and that is why the have designed it for years. Some make feel the Avalon is a better fit for them, it made them feel good, then some really like the malibu, or they like the accord. Drive what you like best, after all you have to be in it everyday.

We all know the ride is stiff in the accord,Some like it, some don't, we know many other characteristics of it as well, but if you bought one, than something must have appealed to you enough to buy it, otherwise just buy something more to your liking. I would not compare GM to Honda, they are in completely different worlds, GM is slowly catching up, but not yet. I am going to honest, I don't feel that I would EVER pay $26k on a Malibu, I almost laugh, wow $26k for a Malibu? Hmm, no! But, some people feel different, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I will say, that get the car you want, with the options you want, otherwise you will never be fully satisfied with it, you only live once, get what you want, of course within reason. Budget.
  • Options
    Thanks again everyone for your suggestions and comments.

Thegraduate- Great suggestion about getting the best quotes on each car then trying to combine with one dealer, I think that’s the way we will try to go, unless the lease deal ends up being no good.

Khoey and bvdj84- We will try to get the best deal on the car price and lease. We can wait a bit and lease month to month with the Avalon. I’m starting to see some posts with reasonable lease deals. Bottom line though – we are very fortunate -the company that my husband works for pays the lease.

Phatomv and rbentonw- Your warnings and suggestions are much appreciated. My husband so far is still set on the V6 sedan. Only he drove it. I’m pickier about cars so maybe I’ll take it for a drive to see if the VCM bothers me. It’s his company car so he needs to be the one happy. I will say he does not like the Avalon at all and I hate it – I do everything in my power to not drive it. Too many things that we don’t like to get into here. I’m not trying to bash Avalon, this is my husband’s second – he really liked his first one. If he ends up not liking the Accord, the lease will be up in three years. He doesn’t drive excessively for work so I think he will be able to live with whichever car he chooses.

These will be the first Hondas that we own/lease. I really liked the coupe. For us the current alternative to the Accord coupe is the Scion tc. I know they are in two different classes. Of course I like that the Accord is bigger and has extra safety features. This car is for use by my son who is a new driver. We already had long discussions about new or used car for our new driver’s use but I like all of the newer safety features in the new cars. We only have one family owned car, my car, and he’s not getting that one – It’s an Infiniti M35x – way too much power for him.
  • Options
    gotqgotq Member Posts: 8
    I just a new accord several weeks ago and would like to install car alarm in it. But some of my friends said if you take it to the dealership to install, they may install the alarm but mess up something else so you need to pay extra to fix those. Is this true? How much should I expect to pay for the alarm including installation? I am in Los Angeles area. Does anyone has any recommendations on a particular dealership for taking the car to install alarm and routine service? Thank you!!!
  • Options
    You definitely have to experience the VCM. If you are a sensitve driver you WILL feel its constant switching from one mode to the other - even at highway speeds with the cruise control on as the engine is called upon to maintain a steady speed despite coming to an incline, and I have to say conversely my experience with the "grade logic" in this car is also unsettling, with cruise on, downshifting the automatic transmission to maintain a steady speed on a down slope. I NEVER noticed this before in our most recent Honda products - 2000 EX V6 Sedan, 2004 EXL V-6 Coupe. Caused me to turn it off altogether on windy hilly 4 lane highway.

Just advising prospective buyers to be careful out there - this is a VERY different Honda from what many Honda owners may have in mind from past experiences. It is HUGE, it is HEAVY, and with the automatic, there is a lot of computer input from the Engine Control Module (ECM) in how it drives, shifts, and runs over which you, as the DRIVER, have little or NO control - to the point of its being unpleasant.
    I would have liked to have kept our 1990 Acura Legend with 180K on it, but my wife insisted we get a new car. It drove and handled much better than our new Accord EXL V-6 sedan. Since we live in Manhattan and only drive about 5000 miles a year, I will have to learn to simply live with it. But if I had to drive this every day????? NO WAY!!!!! I COULD NEVER DRIVE THIS CAR EVERY DAY - IT WOULD DRIVE(NO PUN INTENDED) ME CRAZY! I would be angry with Honda for having ruined a previously very nice car - the 2007 model. :mad: AND for betraying the trust of its loyal customers to produce a car that is SO annoying to drive. :sick: This whole line of 2008 V-6 VCM Accords may end up with a very big black circle in Consumer Reports as a year to avoid( :lemon: ), and when Honda fully realizes the impact of its folly on its loyal coustomers and new sales, I believe it will reverse itself, and we'll see some sort of retrofitting (new ECMs) available to customers to eliminate the VCM in this engine.
    I am not kidding - it is THAT annoying. I will be figuring out mileage with our second tank of all around driving - city/highway, and this weekend report on a highway only trip of about 120 miles and how we did on that, keeping in mind the car has about 700 miles on it. My suspicions are that all the shifting, VCM, etc gong on will result in little savings in fuel - certainly not worth the aggravation, complicated engineering, and machinations needed to obtain it, if there is ANY. :confuse:
  • Options
    I've read more then a few people having the same experience as mine. in the 4cyl, 5 spd cars, 3rd gear requires a more "deliberate" movement, almost like there's and extra "catch" in there or something (best I can describe it). I've "ground" 3rd more times then I like to admit. :sick:

It's far worse when cold, and overall doesn't effect my love of the car, but you can be sure I'll be mentioning it at my first oil change service.

Anyone else?
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    I really liked the coupe. For us the current alternative to the Accord coupe is the Scion tc. I know they are in two different classes. Of course I like that the Accord is bigger and has extra safety features. This car is for use by my son who is a new driver. We already had long discussions about new cars.

New young drivers are exactly the ones who should not be driving new young cars. You might want to consider a year or two old vehicle that has almost all of the extra safety features that are available on the 2008s. When your son has a couple of years of safe driving under his belt you could always splurge. We all know why insurance rates for the under-25 crowd are so much higher.
  • Options
    Well, I haven't driven an '08, but I wouldn't expect they changed it much from the 5 speed in my 2005 4 cyl. And that has no issues with 3rd gear. You can pretty much shift with 1 finger if you feel like it.

This discussion has been closed.