Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Where Is Ford taking the Lincoln Motor Company?

Comments

• Options
    edward53edward53 Member Posts: 113
    edited September 2013
    Lincoln can still be saved. Lincoln's problem is that it is associated with being an upscale Ford. Ford just won't admit that it needs to invest more funds into Lincoln platform development. If it gets the proper car people to run Lincoln without the marketers or accountants getting involved into product development, there is no reason why Lincoln can't compete with the premium makes. Lincoln has a fine heritage. It just needs to develop a product that meets its heritage . That heritage does not include different bodied Fords. Once that is done, then let the marketers use that fine heritage to sell its offerings. For instance, I came across a 1933 article in Automobile Quarterly magazine. In the article testers were comparing a V12 Lincoln KB coupe against a Rolls Royce V12 Phantom coupe . The test was done in GB. The testers all agreed that the Lincoln was the better car in every way. The engine was smoother and quieter and the acceleration of it was seemless as compared to the Rolls. It also equaled the Rolls in braking distance and it was the better handler. Build sales on this heritage but first have the product to equal the heritage.
  • Options
    hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Or Super?
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I agree. It took Cadillac 10 years to recover from the most pathetic fall from grace ever seen - and sadly, it may take Lincoln the same. I hope the commitment is there though, as it was at GM. Despite GM's lack of capital, they devoted what it took to rebuild Cadillac, and by today's standards, IMO, they did it. Do I want one? Not yet, but that doesn't mean I don't like them or respect them.
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Unfortunately, I think MKS has the same shortcomings as the Taurus - cramped and not really a standout. But you're right, given Lincoln's tradition of rapid depreciation a used one may be a value.

This Lincoln stuff gets me wondering if there isn't more truth to the Mulally Microsoft rumor than is being admitted. He's done a terrific job turning the Ford mess around, but things may be stagnating now. Not just Lincoln struggling to keep it's head above water, but failures that aren't being fixed like MyFord Synch. Quality ratings have dumped, while climbing at GM. RAM and GM are starting to get better reviews than F-150. Meanwhile the Asians like Toyota and Lexus are turning themselves around rather strongly. Sometimes turnarounds take different managerial talent than gaining altitude. Although based on past performance, I'm not convinced Mark Fields is Ford's long term answer.
  • Options
    Bimmer had trouble with its I drive system. The software for it was developed by Microsoft. Users of it thought it to be confusing to use . That was especially while driving . Bimmer worked out its bugs . Ford eventually will do the same with Ford Touch And Lincoln Touch. GM and Chrysler will do the same with their systems. I just think though that these type gizmos may make driving more hazardous because of drivers having to do too many task to use these systems and control their vehicles at the same time.
  • Options
    Yeah, I really dislike a lot of this techno crap in lieu of simple knobs and dials. I'm not a Luddite, I just don't see value in things that add effort just for the sake of having some more tech. Little, tiny up and down buttons are distracting and bothersome.
  • Options
    Well I read somewhere that Ford might return some of the interior accessory panel controls for radios etc back to knobs and traditional buttons
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    You don't need to use the touch screen while you're driving. Everything you need is available on the steering wheel or by voice control.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    You don't need to use the touch screen while you're driving. Everything you need is available on the steering wheel or by voice control.

True. I use My Ford Touch everyday and the voice controls work great for me. I've said it many times - it you use it correctly, it works just fine.
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    "The hang up with these folks is that Cadillac vehicles are not as expensive as the foreign vehicles they now drive."

That's bad? That's one of the things I love about Cadillac besides the drop-dead gorgeous styling. Not only do Cadillacs cost less to purchase, but to maintain and repair! Cadillac is the sensible choice among fine cars!

I once test drove a Lexus LS430 expecting some kind of epiphany. The impression I got was it was a more expensive Buick. Why should I spend $10K - $20K more for a slightly nicer Buick?
  • Options
    I would buy a new Town Car tomorrow to replace my aging Mercury Grand Marquis. As it stands, there is NOTHING at the local Lincoln dealer that does anything for me; just a collection of stupid SUVs and cross-overs and two truncated puny sedans. Heck, a Toyota Avalon has more cachet than any Lincoln.
  • Options
    Great ,but what is correctly. When you write "if used correctly" does that mean that it may not be that easy to use without remembering the "formula" for it to function correctly? These systems should be designed for maximum ease of operation . I suspect that the auto manufacturers are doing their best to greatly simplify the operation of these systems.
  • Options
    Man, you're just making me miss the Panther platform more and more by pointing this out! Who the heck cares what the depreciation curve on the Town Car is when it will easily go 300K+ miles and cost infinitely less to maintain and repair than its competitors. A Town Car will still be going and going and going when an Audi A8 is permanently disabled due to some exotic malady that will cost $10K to repair.
  • Options
    One thing that would dramatically improve the MKS appearance is to lengthen the rear overhang. As it is, it looks stubby and cut-off at the rear. The other thing is to give it a V-8.
  • Options
    Great ,but what is correctly. When you write "if used correctly" does that mean that it may not be that easy to use without remembering the "formula" for it to function correctly? These systems should be designed for maximum ease of operation . I suspect that the auto manufacturers are doing their best to greatly simplify the operation of these systems.

I would guess that if someone bothered to read the manual, they would be able to operate it correctly. It's a computer and as such it has to follow a protocol.

For instance to tune the radio, one hits the steering wheel button and say "98.5 FM" or "FM 98.5" and she replies "tuning to ......" and it happens. Using the nav takes a couple of more steps but again knowing how to say the address is key: One Two Three Four Main Street Boston is what it wants not twelve thirty four Main Boston.

My wife gets flustered with it easily because she has never bothered to learn how to use it and she's impatient. The touch screen flusters her as she doesn't give it a chance to react to her input. She just keeps tapping away and wonders why the seat heater won't turn on. "Honey, it's because you tapped the button three times in .6 seconds. Give it a millisecond to turn on."

Here is a link to the commands:

http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/voice-command-categories-sync-myford-tou- ch
  • Options
    "one hits the steering wheel button and say "98.5 FM" or "FM 98.5" and she replies "tuning to ......" and it happens."

As long as you speak clearly I suppose. But isn't it just simpler to press a radio preset button to tune in 98.5? Personally, I'm not really into talking to my car. But the point is keep it simple. If you want voice, fine - but also retain the simpler button. BTW, every Ford I've rented with their new "touch" controls has been very erratic. Sometimes it's smooth, sometimes you have to punch the touch control several times. If Ford was a demonstrably better vehicle than the competition I guess I'd live with it, but my experiences make me lean toward buying something different that works better.
  • Options
    I disagree. The MKS is too tall, and the overhangs are already too long for its wheelbase. Lengthening the rear would just make it look even more awkward and bulbous.

The 2014 Impala is a great looking car of about the same size, but its rear overhang pushes the limit of what now looks acceptable adn balanced. The MKS is already one of the longest in its class (Azera, Taurus, Impala, Cadenza, Genesis, XTS, etc.), but it doesn't offer a lot of interior room for that.

The days of long overhangs on relatively short wheelbases are thankfully coming to a close. For an especially egregious example of bad overhang design, look at the 1987 T-bird Turbo coupe. Of course that is not as bad as the 1971 T-bird coupe, when Bunky Knutson added a Pontiac like beak to the front of the T-bird's already exaggerated front overhang.

Now, greater length from from the front axle to to the front door does add a classy look, but the trend is to trim all that useless metal and air space that used to be in front of the radiator and engine.

As for a V8...I suspect Ford could install one in an exclusive model (or a model above the MKS at some point), but the trend is toward less cylinders across the board. Luxury barges from BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Maserati, etc. now offer powerful 6s that can run circles around any V8 that has ever been installed in a Lincoln. Ford is committed to boosted engines, because industry-wide that is what will be available on 90% of all vehicles very soon.

Like it or not, V8s will become the bastion of uber luxury cars adn some expensive sports cars. Lincoln is a long way from that.
  • Options
    I've written about foreign owners hang up that keeps them from buying Cadillac is that its not as expensive as the car they drive. That is one of the reasons for Cadillac's S type sedan and -if produced-also for the Bentley priced Elmiraj . I think Cadillac's plan is to offer a premiere priced tier of vehicles.
    Buick may offer a limited production Riviera built off of a modified Omega platform. It should be very popular in China.
  • Options
    ohenryxohenryx Member Posts: 285
    edited October 2013

True. I use My Ford Touch everyday and the voice controls work great for me. I've said it many times - it you use it correctly, it works just fine.

As the brand new owner of a Ford with Sync, let me just say one thing (nothing personal, just saying):

Please go to the nearest window and jump out

Like I said, nothing personal, just sayin. (smile)

Any computer which requires a hard reset (pulling the battery cable) just because the input has changed (flash drive full of mp3's), well, ... I rest my case.

If Ford was a demonstrably better vehicle than the competition I guess I'd live with it, but my experiences make me lean toward buying something different that works better.

As the not-so-proud new owner of a Ford with Sync, those are my sentiments exactly. I really, really should have done more homework. And my wife always accused me of over-analyzing every purchase. If only that were true.
  • Options
    But isn't it just simpler to press a radio preset button to tune in 98.5?

There are presets and one can use those as well. Sometimes I find it easier to just speak the station.
  • Options
    But on the Ford's I've rented at least, they are those "touch" type controls that sometimes work great and sometimes not so much. I've got no problem with high tech and voice, but just provide a reliable alternative for those of us that don't want the hassles. Other brands are doing that, so why is Ford so hesitant to just admit that My Ford Synch isn't for everyone? If touch worked so well and reliably, there wouldn't be conventional switches on new airliners. They are just hurting themselves with the owners and users that aren't happy and that can affect whether they become repeat customers. I think it's pretty pathetic that they still haven't resolved all of their issues and don't then provide a reliable, conventional back up plan. I'd spell that "arrogance".
  • Options
    The touch controls work perfectly fine 99.9% of the time. People think it's a capacitive touch screen like a smartphone but it's resistive and requires a firm press and there is a slight delay.

I also wonder how many people don't realize that the corners of the screen where it says Phone, Navigation, Climate and Entertainment are actually menu buttons that you can press at any time to go to that screen.
    Once you're in one of those screens it's exactly the same as any other touch screen interface.

It's no different than the old Clarion/Pioneer dvd/nav touch screens in previous models and nobody complained about those.

The freezes, reboots, etc. have been eliminated 99.9% of the time with a few exceptions that appear to be bad hardware. The criticism was valid 2 years ago but not any more.

Could they make it simpler with more hard buttons? Sure.

80% of Ford buyers would recommend MFT to their friends and family, so it can't be all that bad. The other 20% probably don't like any kind of electronic interfaces. I do agree they should make it optional across the line for those who just don't want it at all.
  • Options
    euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    What would your "conventional back up plan" be for the automatic transmission - a clutch pedal & gearshift?

The answer to your dilema is to read the manual & its instructions. Learn their protocol & adjust accordingly.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    80% of Ford buyers would recommend MFT to their friends and family

Exactly where did you get that number? Can you provide a link or reference? I think it is highly unlikely to be true. If you’ll read this story in Automotive News, they state that :

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130115/OEM11/130119861#axzz- - 2gOESCxvX

Meanwhile, Nair said MyFord Touch is the primary reason that Ford has seen a drop in its North American quality over the last two years, while quality has improved in its other global regions.

Ford reported 400 problems with its MyFord Touch system for every 1,000 vehicles in November 2012. It aims to lower that number to 360 by August.

400 problems per 1,000 vehicles is a 40% problem rate. How can they have 80% recommendation rate when they have (by Ford’s admission) a 40% problem rate?
  • Options
    400 problems per 1,000 vehicles is a 40% problem rate. How can they have 80% recommendation rate when they have (by Ford’s admission) a 40% problem rate?

Any complaint in the auto industry is counted as a problem. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong just that someone complained. Often it's something as simple as "My Hummer gets poor fuel economy".

I have not had an issue with My Ford Touch in about a year - no lockups, no reboots, et al. I would recommend it to my friends if I believe they would be capable of adapting to the technology. I'd never recommend it to my FIL.
  • Options
    "What would your "conventional back up plan" be for the automatic transmission - a clutch pedal & gearshift? "

First of all, don't need one since it works, so where's the parallel?

"The answer to your dilema is to read the manual & its instructions. Learn their protocol & adjust accordingly."

Or just buy a product from a competitor that does it better and easier.

Directing me to just do as you say sounds a lot like Ford management with this system right now. Do you work for them or something? Otherwise, why does me not caring for it's real world operation get you so worked up and condescending?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I totally believe you when you say you've had no issues, but others have had them. My experiences of inconsistent response has been over multiple rented Ford products. I've had several Explorer's for example. One mostly worked and the others varied quite a bit more (and it wasn't learning curve because the one that worked best was kind of in the middle of the rentals). Inconsistency of performance can be a big indicator of quality control problems.

There are two aspects to this that concern me about Ford and both make me worry they are falling back into the old Detroit approach and habits. If a system has problems I think they should be overhauling it all at once or replacing it. This bits at a time approach strikes me as fixing it on the cheap which unfortunately can end up ugly in the longer run. Ford isn't in Microsoft's position where they so control software applications markets like Office that they can get away with things other can't. Although their approach to computers may be a reason why Apple and Android are kicking it's butt in tablets and smart phones. The other thing is that the inconsistency that apparently many are experiencing with their touch panel control response and sensitivity makes "low bidder' purchasing habits for these panels pop into my mind. Perhaps they should pay a tad more for them and get them from a quality vendor rather than the cheapest priced one so they work consistently. A button should always work and respond the same when it is used in every vehicle made. Otherwise it's likely poorly engineered or bought on the cheap. Heck, I believe even the government is moving away from low bidder in key systems and components.
  • Options
    My experiences of inconsistent response has been over multiple rented Ford products.

I'll venture a guess that the rental companies aren't applying the updates when they are made available. Ford has done two major updates to the software in the 24 months I have owned the vehicle - and supplied new sd cards for the nav system at no charge.

If a system has problems I think they should be overhauling it all at once or replacing it. This bits at a time approach strikes me as fixing it on the cheap which unfortunately can end up ugly in the longer run.

As I said, they've done two major upgrades in 24 months that require the use of a USB drive to install.

The other thing is that the inconsistency that apparently many are experiencing with their touch panel control response and sensitivity makes "low bidder' purchasing habits for these panels pop into my mind.

We can presume much.

As I said the system has worked for me and I would recommend to most anyone.
  • Options
    Sorry - it was a 80% take rate on MFT with 71% recommending it to others. And that was last year before the latest improvements.

http://wot.motortrend.com/new-review-slams-myford-touch-says-system-stinks-25187- 7.html#axzz2gWmP2KB3

The first 2 years it wasn't good but it is very stable now. You can't go by complaints from 2011 or 2012 - those are long gone.
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    "I'm not a Luddite, I just don't see value in things that add effort just for the sake of having some more tech. Little, tiny up and down buttons are distracting and bothersome."

I agree with you...voice control of various functions is nice, but some of us still want things like nicely designed buttons and knobs...that does not make us dinosaurs...

Yes, I DO have a smartphone and I am on Windows 7, so I am NOT stuck with my old 5 pound mobile phone and using Windows 3.1 or Wordperfect 5...but, just because some designer says "this is the latest design we sell" does not mean I have to capitualte to it...

My home blender has 5 speeds and is controlled by switches, I do not want voice control of my blender...same with my vacuum cleaner, it has an on-off switch...and my gas stove, while having electronic ignition (so as not to waste gas keeping the pilot lit, like years ago), still has a turn knob to raise or lower the flame, and I do not want voice control for it, either...

Just because something is MADE, does not mean we all have to have it or want it...
  • Options
    Thanks for the link, informative reading. My biggest problem here is that the survey was performed by Ford. We all know how surveys can be slanted (sometimes drastically) just by the way the questions are phrased:

“Mr. Jones, exactly when did you stop beating your wife?”

I’m sure that some people are happy with the Ford Sync system. I’m also certain that others aren’t happy with it (I’m among that number, in case you couldn’t tell (smile) ).

The link I provided was to a fairly current story, and reported that Ford hoped to reduce the number of complaints about the Sync system to 36% of new vehicle owners by August of 2013, down from 40% complaint rate in November of 2012. November of 2012 would have been for the current year model, 2013, I believe.

And I can assure you that problems do still exist, as of right now, on current production models, with the latest firmware. My problems seem to be fixed, at least for the moment. But it did require pulling the battery cable to perform a full system reset. And from what I’ve been reading in other online forums, I can expect to need that full reset on a fairly regular basis.

I do like this new truck, and I still might have purchased it, knowing what I know now. And then again, maybe not. This would have definitely been a strong negative point in my decision making process.

And as a follow up to msg 4348 by marsha7: I couldn’t agree more. Have you seen the TV ad (I think it’s for some bank) where they place a blender on the counter with a sign telling customers to talk to the machine? Hilarious, and it nicely sums up my position on talking to a machine. I talk to people, for a machine, I want buttons and knobs and nice rotary controls (preferably with tactile feedback, “clicks” or “detents”).
  • Options
    You will not need a hard reset on a "fairly regular basis" unless you have a hardware problem and in that case you need a new APIM. That's assuming you have the latest software.
  • Options
    What do you have against Luddites?
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    you can't text them!
  • Options
    That's assuming you have the latest software.

Well, it's already been back to the dealer. They assured me it has the latest "software", although I think "firmware" might be a better term.

They also assured me that they "could not reproduce the problem". Jeez, I've never heard of a dealer's service department saying that before, have you? (smile)

I like the truck. If I continue to have problems with Sync, I think I will just investigate a new aftermarket head unit.
  • Options
    Tell dealer to erase or un-install the software or firmware and then to reinstall it.
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I have nothing against Luddites, in a way...I kinda see the telephone and the light bulb as somewhat necessary in my life, along with the wheel, the gun and the flashlight...and the microwave is kinda useful to re-heat leftovers...:):)
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to talk with a car shopper who participated in Lincoln's "Date Night" promotion (http://www.lincolnmkzdatenight.com/ProgramDetails.aspx). If you'd like to share your experience, please reach out to pr@edmunds.com by the end of the day today, October 8, 2013.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    WHY?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited October 2013
    "Ford's luxury Lincoln brand spent most of this year reintroducing itself to American buyers. Now, it's taking on Lexus in a new bid to get noticed.

And Lincoln's Date Nights, which invite customers to drive an MKZ for 48 hours and enjoy a free meal at a restaurant, have been a success. The company expects 1,000 Date Night participants will buy Lincolns by the end of this year.

But Lincoln still has a long way to go. Car buying site Edmunds.com says only about 1 percent of people searching its site are considering Lincolns — a number that didn't change even after the MKZ went on sale. That compares with 4 percent for Lexus and 6 percent for BMW."

Lincoln takes on Lexus in new ads (kansascity.com)
  • Options
    One fairly competitive model out of a whole line-up will not turn sales around. The MKZ shows that. Unlike most other brands, Lincoln sales have not increased this year.

Cadillac will have 10 new or redesigned models by 2015. Sure, it has cost them a ton of money. But their sales continue to go up, along with their reputation and increasingly positive reviews. It will pay off, as the profit on luxury vehicles is large.

Ford needs to invest more of its profits into a luxury brand if it ever wants to be in the position of making nearly as much profit from their luxury division (whatever it ends up being called) as it does from the Ford brand. Maybe they are satisfied with the Honda model. Ford is certainly doing well, however laughable Lincoln has become. Honda has done really well for decades without having a truly successful premier brand. Even so, I suspect Honda would like it if Acura morphed into something more akin to Lexus or Cadillac.
  • Options
    I agree the MKZ isn't going to save Lincoln, but it is up 12% over the old model (there were limited supplies the first 3 months of this year) with lots of conquests from the ES and Prius (for the hybrid).

The issue I have with people saying that Ford isn't investing enough in Lincoln is that nobody (outside Ford) knows exactly what Ford is or is not spending on Lincoln and when. The only figures quoted by Ford were over 2 years ago. I suspect Ford is spending a lot more than noted earlier and they're working on a lot of new vehicles - they're just doing it quietly.

I see the next iteration to be an upgraded MKS and MKX - hopefully on an all new CD4 based platform, a revised MKZ, a new MKC (All with hybrid options) and a heavily revised Navigator plus new engines (the MKC should get a 2.3L EB as the base engine). We might get an Explorer based Aviator too.

The next step should bring in some new vehicles, probably RWD and should significantly raise the bar and the MSRPs. But they need to get the higher volume vehicles out the door first.
  • Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Yeah, but it's a Cadillac. The brand has suffered a lot of damage, and while they're rebuilding, it doesn't have the cache of other "luxury" brands, much less the cache it had years ago.

I'm a huge fan of the 90 - 93 DeVille, after that, no thanks. I do think Cadillac is on the right track, but it's a long uphill battle ahead. As much as I loved them in the early 90's, Cadillac isn't on my short list these days.
  • Options
    Good point on Acura. I think they have a lot of the same issues as Lincoln. I think the only reason Acura isn't in Lincoln's dire shape is the MDX, whereas Lincoln has no high demand vehicle.
  • Options
    My ladyfriend had a 1992 Cadillac DeVille and I had a 1994 model. Cadillac has come a long way since then. Heck, it's come a long way from 2007 when I last purchased a new Cadillac. I still love my DTS, but somehow it seems "old" compared to the latest Cadillacs.
  • Options
    Both the ATS and 2014 CTS are world class and they do well in all comparison reviews with the European competition. The SRX is their big seller and remains competitive with that class. The XTS is more of a DTS replacement, but it has gotten decent reviews for what it is: comfortable, well-equipped, pretty and imposing in a field of FWD based "large" sedans.

A larger RWD sedan is coming, and maybe even a sedan above that. The new Escalade is almost here. It breaks no new ground, and is too much like the Yukon and GMC versions, but for what it is and what such buyers are looking for, it is at the top of that class. The ELR won't count for much, because it will be too expensive, but Mercedes, BMW and Audi all have expensive models on offer that don't sell much either. Several other models will begin to cover more bases, which is what all the most successful luxury brands have done.

I hope Lincoln does more differentiation with the next Nav than Cadillac has done with the 15 Slade. However, the Escalade is entering its fourth generation with its fourth completely new body. The Nav soldiers on with the 1998 (going into the 15th straight model year) body shell, with periodic front clip and rear end changes.

I suspect that Ford will do heavy updates to the Nav and keep using the same shell just as it has done for about as many years with the Superduty. It is a policy that has worked for the SD (but how much longer is the question), but has failed with the Navigator...it just looks awfully old.
  • Options
    hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    The "keep the same platform for years after the tooling has been amortized" model seems to have worked well for the Panther platform too, from a profitability standpoint.
  • Options
    However, that same approach ultimately killed the Panther (and another example, the Ranger).

The Mustang languished too long with the Fox body, but Ford woke up in time to its true potential. Same with the Explorer which was dying on the vine, but is now a completely different animal and doing ok.
  • Options
    The new Hyundai Genesis is looking like a huge improvement over the the current very good Genesis. Kia has a new RWD K900 ($50,000+) coming some time next year. Mercedes has several new sedans. Audi is adding the A3 sedan momentarily. BMW is not sitting on its heels. Infiniti is moving in with new iron. And so on.

With each passing month, there are more luxury niches and choices. GM's latest motto seems to be "no more crappy cars," and so far this year they are following it. Lincoln may be planning big things and not saying anything about their stepped-up investment yet (hey, Allen, sounds like you now agree that they need to pour gobs of money into any comeback effort. The effort gets harder and harder as the market becomes more and more saturated with stellar vehicles.

China of course is sucking up a lot of the growth. GM already sells more vehicles in China than in the US (and more than four times as many as Ford currently does). Ford has realized the error of its late start there, and is busy throwing new models into that market. It is working in that their market share is now increasing.

We will see US sales as less influential on overall company financial health in years to come, just as the European car makers have found that they cannot rely on Europe any longer for profitability.

Lincoln needs to develop some international recognition, and fast. Or once again, Ford will buy (more carefully this time) a brand that does at least have that. They can dink around with LMC for a few more years, but if there is no pop at some point, all bets are off. Ford is in the business to make money, not continually nurse along an also-ran. Many brands have gone from on top of the food chain to gone. There is nothing to say that Lincoln will not go the way of Mercury (and Packard, etc.) if every new intro simply staves off further decline for awhile.
  • Options
    I don't agree they need to "throw gobs" of money at the problem. They need to invest significantly but they appear to be doing it smartly and methodically rather than the GM shotgun method where you spend like crazy as fast as you can and waste a good portion of it on dead end products and platforms.

I equate it to taking out HUGE student loans to get a 4 year degree in 4 years and then struggling for several years to repay the huge loan versus taking 6 years to finish and paying your way as you go and being debt free.

All of the planning they're doing now isn't sexy and makes some people think they're not doing anything but I can tell you from experience with large corporate IT projects it's the only way to ensure long term viability with as little waste as possible.

Quick...Cheap.....Right........Pick two because you can't have all three.