Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

GMC Jimmy Starting and Stalling Problems

Comments

• Options
    jmak72jmak72 Member Posts: 1
    Okay, it began acting funny a few months ago. When it has been raining out, even when the car has just been sitting, it won't start. For a while, spraying the dist. and coil down with WD40 did the trick, now I get nothing. Sometimes even when it wasn't humid out, the thing would take a few tries,but would start. Is the coil a common problem in these? Is the ignition control mod. as big of a problem in these as in other GM cars? What are the common ignition issues with these? I'm pretty sure it's an ignition thing rather than a fuel issue since ether doesn't help. Oh yeah, it's a 4.3 vortec. Thanks guys;)
  • Options
    jim298jim298 Member Posts: 9
    started out having problem hot and cold start replaced ignition module and ais motor now starts and idels correctly when fully warmed up and left for 15-20 minutes engine will not start spark ok fuelinjectors run fuel pressure ok spark ok does not seem to get enough fuel for start if ignition is cyceled a few times engine starts help thanks jim
  • Options
    majiktikimajiktiki Member Posts: 3
    replaced fuel pump/filter/catalytic converter/o2 sensor/tps/egr valve/temp sensor to ecu/ one of the injector. works fine then doesnt. entermittent.cept for when i get near mech. then works. even after not working...chugging loss of power rough idle . like not getting gas. but strong gas smell.(thinking about replacing brain??? HELP
  • Options
    majiktikimajiktiki Member Posts: 3
    replaced fuel pump/filter/catalytic converter/o2 sensor/tps/egr valve/temp sensor to ecu/ one of the injector. works fine then doesnt. entermittent.cept for when i get near mech. then works. even after not working...chugging loss of power rough idle . like not getting gas. but strong gas smell.(thinking about replacing brain??? HELP
  • Options
    gmcfamily2010gmcfamily2010 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 jimmy with the 4.3 vortec cpi..i have replaced the coolant temp sensor the throttle position sensor the whole fuel pump assembly, the controle module, the air filter, fuel pump relay, a bad wire and a new exhaust and tail pipe and the garage has run all kinds of tests and the coil is fine and it's putting out good compression and it says it's firing right but once it heats up it misses and stalls and won't start again for quite some time...i'm at my wits end with this thing..the only thing left to check would be the map sensor or maybe a bad distributor and rotor..any suggestions here before i go broke on this thing!!
  • Options
    bullydogs233bullydogs233 Member Posts: 2
    i know this was awhile ago. but i am having the same problem just wondering if you ever find a course of action?
  • Options
    bullydogs233bullydogs233 Member Posts: 2
    i have a no power no start issue. the fuses 4 10 16 20&22 are air bags ecm and gauges. but the blinkers dont work and the ecm test ok. what am i to look for now. pls help.
  • Options
    ob4ob4 Member Posts: 1
    My 98' GMC (Jimmy) will stall while driving on road, after a min. or so it will restart and run good for a day or two.
  • Options
    hollimajhollimaj Member Posts: 2
    I am having the exact same problem. What was the problem with yours? Thanks, I appreciate any help.
  • Options
    hollimajhollimaj Member Posts: 2
    Mine does the exact same thing, what was the underlying problem with yours? I appreciate any help thank you!
  • Options
    drbobme1drbobme1 Member Posts: 5
    The moisture in the air causes the ignition coil to breakdown and short the high tension voltage. I replaced my coil several years ago and no problem since. Look at a startup in the night and you may see an arch at the coil.
  • Options
    xavier20xavier20 Member Posts: 1
    2000 gmc jimmy 4x4 4.3 v6
    What sensors if unplugged would cause the engine to stall out and make it so the engine wont crank?
    i have an electric bug somewhere and my car will randomly crank and start but then stall out and wont crank.
    Also... could this be part of the anti theft system and the car thinks its being stolen and shutting off the ignition?
  • Options
    kingstonsman53kingstonsman53 Member Posts: 44
    This could be a number of things. Maybe module in your distributor. Or maybe even your fuel pump going bad. Mine stalled and quit then started back up ran awhile stalled and quit. Changed distributor, plugs and wires Only to find out it was fuel pumg assembly coming out of plastic ensert in tank. Had to replace tank too. Rusted bad around top of tank. THIS FIXED MY 1998 Jimmy. Hope this helps. Another thing to check is crank sensor on motor.
  • Options
    buzzybrewerbuzzybrewer Member Posts: 1
    i'd try changing the fuel pump since its not getting enough fuel to drive
  • Options
    msnyc2umsnyc2u Member Posts: 3
    This Jimmy I have, I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel injectors, crank sensor, hoses, I just starting to notice that when I put my foot on the gas petal after I have stopped at a light, when I accelerate trying to take off seems like the car is trying to stall or want to shut off...Can I please get help on this. thank you so much...
  • Options
    batman4everbatman4ever Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    My Jimmy sometimes will not start and all the power will go out, also the key will be lock in the ignition. after messing with the battery cables it will come back on and usually will start. After starting it acts sluggish and eventually get back to running normal. The Check engine light is now on and the other day the vehicle lost power on the interstate and would not start. after messing with the fuses it started and ran until i got it home. It will now not start. It will turn over though. Could this be something electronic or the fuel pump?
  • Options
    tcarr22tcarr22 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    I have a 2001 jimmy and i purchased it from a guy that said he had replaced the fuel pump last year. It seems as soon as the check cleared i have been having problems with the jimmy starting. It does seem to be a bit of a gamble though because it will some times go weeks with no problems but then on other days my wife will call and it won't turn over. A quick fix is that I can jump it with my truck and its fine. The reason i said the fuel pump was replaced is because I found a instruction manual in the glove box talking about the GT280 installation process. I have done some research on the GT280, could it have been installed incorrectly or is it possibly be a grounding issue. My brother is a Caterpiller mech. and I have access to a lift and endless tools but i need some direction to look so found you guys please anything to help would be appreciated. Also, when my brother hooks up his diagnostic unit, the unit doesn't recognize the jimmy, at all.
  • Options
    jmaffinjmaffin Member Posts: 1
    When she runs - she runs great ! I have changed coil and ignition module, using a grounded spark plug to test spark @ #2 wire - spark is yellow and intermittent. Dist and rotor look good, plug wire ohms out around 68k. Cranks fine, recently changed fuel pump asm and corrected whacky fuel gauge - was running fine since then. Anyone have a suggestion ?
    Thanks
  • Options
    br_ad_69br_ad_69 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    needed a new battery put it in and it wont start still and all cables look good we think it might be the starter, celinode, or the alternator? any suggestions or idea on what it could be or anyone else with the same problem?

and does anyone know if you can rent a code reader at O'Reillys or fleet farm?
  • Options
    sandi13sandi13 Member Posts: 1
    Jimmy wont start.Garage says its the fuel injectors part $557 labour 605 does this sound about right?
  • Options
    jonnyringjonnyring Member Posts: 74
    Go find an HONEST Stealership.
    Do you think ALL SIX fuel injectors failed at once?
    I don't.
    These dealers look at their OWN WALLETS not YOURS!!!
  • Options
    berkeleygirlberkeleygirl Member Posts: 1
    My Jimmy seems to get clogged up sometimes and it will act like it's going to shut off but never does. Usually if I hit the gas it will unclog it and there will be a little bit of black smoke come out of the tail pipe and a bad smell (like the smell of matches). I don't usually have any problems getting it to start up. But this morning it decided not to start at all and my husband can't figure out what's wrong. Anyone have an idea of what's wrong with my baby? PLEASE help!!
  • Options
    merrilltmerrillt Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if I could get some input. I bought a 1998 Jimmy from a friend of mine. He told me that it ran fine before he parked it. He also told me that it had been sitting in his driveway for about two years, just sitting. It would not start so I replaced the battery and also replaced the fuel pump which I thought was the only problem. Also replaced the fuel filter which was clogged. It's been in the shop for about three months and my mechanic is having a lil bit of a problem trying to figure out what exactly the problem is. While it was out of the shop after having the fuel pump replaced it ran fine for awhile, and then it started losing power as I was driving one day. I sat on the side of the road and it would start back up and throttle up and then cut off. After sitting for a few min it would start back up and drive a lil bit before losing power again. My mechanic thinks it may be the spider fuel injection system...any suggestions? Also is there a way to clean/unclog the spider fuel injection system if that is the problem.
  • Options
    ksnicoulinksnicoulin Member Posts: 1
    Mine is doing the exact same thing. Did you get it figured out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Alfakenny1Alfakenny1 Member Posts: 5
    Vacuum leaks? Mass air flow sensor? my 96 would idle high and want to die when i tried to drive it and all it was is the air intake at the throttle body wasnt seated right letting air skip the sensor.
  • Options
    chris285chris285 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, this is a first for me but thought i would put my two cents in.. I had same prob. I replaced the injectors cause i thought it was pressure regulator and of course that was a bunch of money wasted. Talked to guy at dealership he asked if i had changed the NUT KIT???? New to me.. what happens is this is the fuel line that goes through plenum, sure spelled wrong, and attaches to the injectors. They leak after time and flood the engine out and after a little while the fuel is gone and it would crank right up.. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    kjman25kjman25 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have a 2000 Jimmy. When the outside temp is below about 40 degrees, i have issues getting it to start. I believe the issue is related to ignition switch /module or lock cylinder since i do the following to get it to start. - Either wait until the day warms up the truck some or use a hair dryer to warm up the lock column area.. When starting, you need to barely turn from run to start to get truck to start up in cold weather.. any time above 40 degrees or after it starts up no matter the temp, there are never any issues for the rest of the day.
    Anyone come across this before?
    Thanks
  • Options
    arulselvamarulselvam Member Posts: 3
    I live in Riyadh, Saudi and bought a Jimmy 96 4.3l/4x4/v6 during 2001. It was running smooth until two months ago and started stalling on highways. Had to wait for 10-15 miniutes before it start again. Will run for another 10-15 miles and stops on its own. My mechanic identified the problem with fuel pump and was looking for a new one. Not available anywhere in Riyadh including the GM dealer (was quoting over $1000 to order from USA). My mechanic tried with three other fuel pump including a geniue one of Ford, but was running for a day or two and then started giving the same problem. Tried to get a old part from stranted cards (there is an area near Riyadh called AlHair, where in they sell parts of old cars), but could not find the geninue part. Ater strugging for over a month (and spend over $800), I found a Delphi store in Riyadh which was selling the original fuel pump. Bought one for $75 whcih fixed the issue and running fine for a month now.
    Thought of sharing this experience which may help someone in Saudi with a similar issue.

Arul.
  • Options
    arulselvamarulselvam Member Posts: 3
    Had the similar problem with Jimmy 96 and changed the fuel pump (not the OEM) and did not resolve the issue. Finally replaced fuel pump with Delphi (OEM) part and is now running smoothly as before.

All the best
    Arul
  • Options
    wrenchbrkrwrenchbrkr Member Posts: 3
    jimmy stalls out when over 180 deg. then wont re crank--no internal fuel leak-nut kit-- has spark and correct fuel pressure the whole time--will also stay running just fine while idle but when you start driving stalls out.... lost any help please
  • Options
    steelsagesteelsage Member Posts: 1
    many engines have an over heat cut off, if this is malfunctioning or getting a faulty signal (that says the the engine is hotter than it is) this would explain why it cuts off at a regular 180* and won't recrank until it cools off. also, could be a faulty temp reading (indicating lower than actual temp) and the cut out is working as it should.

Try running without a thermostat, engine should not get to operating temp; it the engine still dies its not the over heat cut off.
  • Options
    All ready changed thermostat,fuel pump(delphi),spider injectors,computer temp. sending unit---ran truck again died,sprayed brake clean in intake and it would start and if i could get up to exactly 3000 rpms would stay running.---pulled vaccum line off and put in a bottle of brake clean and engine stayed running--little ruff--untill cleaner ran out-----dont want to buy anything else unless i have to...(like computer or injectors)
  • Options
    found problem --was spider assembly when engine got hot solenoid shutdown-replaced with one from junkyard and ran perfect-thanks for help
  • Options
    anorman3anorman3 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 94 Jimmy and suddenly the other night it just died, like you shut the key off died, and wouldnt start. It acted as thought the battery was dead, we had a friend come give us a jump and it cranked over just fine, the next night it pulled the same crap, but this time it would not start with a jump. we got it home and put the battery charger on it, it started and ran fine. Husband drove it around the block and it ran fine, went to start it to get my kids from school, and it will crank but wont start. ???????? help!
  • Options
    Check the alternator. Most likely you will need a new battery now too. Next time the car is started, disconnect the negetive cabel on the battery and if the car shuts off the alternator is bad. Or if you have a volt meter read the voltage between the + and - battery terminals. It shouldn't read lower than 13.5.
  • Options
    Check your Volt gauge next time it's running. 13.9v.-14.2v. is optimal if i recall?
    If it's reading 12v. or below...It's the alternator (or cheaper yet....alternator voltage regulator usually held on by screws on back of alternator).
    Most people just replace the whole alternator. i on the other hand...save $$'s and just change out the voltage regulator.
    jonny
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It wont start. . . . . can hear the fuel pump hum when you kick the key, and it cranks but wont fire? really starting to get on my nerves!
  • Options
    rileysdado7rileysdado7 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 jimmy and i have come up with my last option in mine is a oil pressure sensor. as i have changed pump regulator valve coil module and filter. once you get it started it runs great for the day but the next morning when its cold its back to not starting agin. and i have no check engine light n shops computer says its fine
  • Options
    well we have changed the coil, roter bug, ignition module and still the . . . wont start! any suggestions? We are at a loss as to what in the world could be keeping it from starting?
  • Options
    can you do a spark test to determine if it is fireing or not? And i need to clarify, the car will crank and crank and crank, but never actually run.
  • Options
    Exactly it will crank but not fire. there is no spark getting from the distributor to the spark plugs. We have check and the distributor is turning, we have replaced the rotor bug, distributor cap, coil, ignition module. . . . and now are trying to find the crank sensor so we can change it. . . . . any body know where the heck it is on a 1994 gmc jimmy 4wd vortec v6 4.3L
  • Options
    jsimmesjsimmes Member Posts: 3
    hey any luck? i have same problem word for word
  • Options
    I came here looking for answers to a no start problem which occured on my 2000 jimmy as soon as the weather got cold. Like alot of people on here my Jimmy wouldnt start in the cold mornngs.. It cranked just seemed like no fuel was getting to it. I'd either have to use fuel or starting fluid or wait till warmer weather... When it started it ran beautifully and would restart.... Until the next morning.

Seeing that I live in upstate NY where the weather is cold often I decided to bring it to a local garage. They switched out a fuel pump (300) ... which i knew wasnt the problem.... they also switched some relays.... which didnt fix the problem.......

The Solution????? Absolutely stupid but it works..... When starting your vehicle... DO NOT just twist the key forward... doing so does something and shuts off the fuel pump or injectors or causes a brain fart somewhere..... No instead slowly baby step your key as you start your jimmy. I know it is stupid sounding I but it works.... You can see the difference on the dashboard lights between the slight turn and the full turn..... It cost me 1200 usd for that answer. Ill end up switching my ignition at some point down the road but for now I can start my car or even not start it anytime i want. Thanks Jim Betit for figuring that one out.

PS if this works for ya let me know
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2011
    Lots of people turn their key to the "on" position before actually cranking their car or truck. They count to 5 or 10 and sometimes they can hear the fuel pump working, pressurizing the system. Then the car usually cranks the first try.

The theory is that the fuel pressure fades overnight. I usually do this on my non-GM cars in the morning, but don't bother the rest of the day.

I don't know what normal "fade" is, but a fuel leakdown test might pinpoint where your problem is, especially if this trick is needed more frequently than once a day.
  • Options
    no need for the delay.... i jst barely turn the key... once its warm it starts no matter what i do.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please let us know if changing out the ignition switch fixes you up.
  • Options
    I want to add....by NOT FIXING the problem...for the time being, you have a good anti-theft device! (However, it could get worse, then NEVER start if NOT fixed??)
    I have an isuzu truck..after it warms up, when you try to start it a 2nd time, it'll start, but will stall almost immediately UNLESS, you simply turn the key "off' then "on' very quickly.
    This whole problem started when mice ate the air filter and a piece of air filter paper got lodged in the Mass Air flow (MAF) sensor. i cleaned the sensor, and the truck has had this starting issue ever since. I figured out the "fix', purely by accident!! I won't try to fix it permanently, as my truck is full of irreplaceable tools and i cannot afford to have it stolen!.
  • Options
    lexramlexram Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 1997 GMC JImmy truck and it died on me twice. I got it jumped and went straight to autozone to get it charged then I waited 1 hour for them to charge it, came back and they said battery was good. I put the battery back in and my alarm went off. I disarmed it got in my car turned the key and it just clicked. I went back into autozone and asked them if they can give me a jump and it worked. It has been about a week and it just died again at the gas station. got a jump again and played with the alarm switch and it started. I got home now it just clicked once and wont start again and my alarm is arming on its own now.. please help i dont know what to do.
  • Options
    niecy1niecy1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Gmc jimmy that has a new coil pack fuel pump fuel filter and spugs when i had to replace my fuel pump it started not cranking unless you pumped the gas on it! but then it got to were if u did not start it everyday it would not want to start at all. Right now it will not start at all it had done this last week and the fuel filter was replaced and it started fine after until i went a day without starting it at all.. now the fuel pump and coil pack has been replaced and it still will not start. i really need to know what is wrong with my car. please help
  • Options
    ococa1ococa1 Member Posts: 1
    Jimmy, There is a engine temperature sensor switch on the engine block between the #1 and #2 spark plug (driver side). Two wires, remove the wires and if vehicle starts everytime replace sensor $25 to $35. Do not leave wires pulled off, if you do it will waste a lot of gas. Depending on temperature of engine this sensor send a signal to computer and computer send gas to the intake. Hope this helps.