Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic 2006-2007 Issues

Comments

• This is so troubling and disappointing. After just a few months of ownership, my '07 Civic EX coupe has starting problems.

It's happening on and off, so most of the time things are fine. But anywhere to once every few weeks to once every few days, I turn the key and the engine cranks but won't start. Sometimes, it finally starts when I give up and turn the key back to the "ON" position. Other times, I try a second time and it starts, but weakly.

Is this happening to anyone else?

The car is going to the shop next week to see what's going on. But this is exactly what I was hoping to avoid by buying a Honda.
  • Hi targettuning,
    Try searching for your Honda TSB at http://www.iamsam.com/tsb.aspx
    The last time I looked, they were still offering Honda TSBs for sale. You can sign up for a free account and search for the TSB to make sure it is available before buying. They charge just $2 to buy an individual TSB.
  • My wife has an 06 Civic for less than a year and has had to take it in twice because of warped rotors. The last time in they told us it was because we have not had the rear brakes adjusted. Anything to this? Any help is appreciated.
  • I have an 06 civic ex MT. Today I noticed that if my car is at a resting idle and I step on and release the accelerator quickly, I can hear a strange sound that resembles air being sucked into the engine. Anyone have any thoughts what this might be? Is it normal or something that I need to take into the dealer to have diagnosed? Thanks in advance for your help.
  • kero1kero1 Posts: 154
    Chardrapp,

With regards to warped front rotors, a person is suppose to use their parking brake at least once a day. Rear drum brakes are kept in adjustment by using the parking brake.

If one does not use the parking brake regularly, the rear drums can become out of adjustment and when you hit the brake the brake pads do not come into contact with the rear drum. This makes the front brakes work much harder and get much hotter thus the warping.

This happened in my wifes 05 corolla until she started using the emergency brake every day.

Skeeter11

I have not noticed this noise/sound, however, if the car run fines don't worry about. If you notice any change in the way the car runs, bring it in.
  • jrouxjroux Posts: 1
    The same thing is happening to me! My 2007 Civic EX Sedan is also having starting problems. It happens sporadically and for no apparent reason. It's been at the dealer for the last 3 days with them trying to duplicate the problem - so far no luck.

Have you had any luck in determining the cause?
    Most people don't know that the new civics require the key to be put in the ignition and turned to just before you crank the car and you have to leave the key at that point for about 10 seconds.

I read and heard it has to do with fuel pressure and the computer.

I always wait a few seconds and never have staring problems.

If I just put the key and turn immediately, I have starting problems.
  • dgd16dgd16 Posts: 2
    I have a 07 civic lx coupe mt. I have only had it 2 weeks, so I have been driving it easy until it hits 1000 miles. I am not sure where and when it was actually built. I have been noticiing a little hesitation when I accelerate, when it is already in a gear. I also notice that if I am going through the gears quickly, the engine seems to hang after 3000 rpms. I am not sure if this is a result of the car not being totally broken in, or there is a problem. Has anyone else experienced this? The only other thing I notice is the windows do not seal well. I hear wind noices on the highway.
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    I never did this...waited 10 seconds...before attempting to crank the engine and I don't have any starting problems. I wonder if any of this could be related to the key code matching the engine immobilizer function?
  • ajbchoajbcho Posts: 44
    I had the same issue with my 07. Wouldn't start or tried to start and shut down. Read about the waiting for all the lights and sounds to stop before starting. Seems to work, but every now and then. The car just seems really weak when starting.
    I'm in the I.T. biz and we jokingly call bugs in applications, "undocumented features".
    I think I found one in my 07 EX AT sedan. I usually have a drink whenever I'm driving and started to realize my pop or water would get warm really quickly. One day I dropped some change into the cup holders and realized the cup holders themselves were really warm/almost hot, esp. the one up front. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just my car. My past several cars, the cup holders have been integrated into the center console which moved so they were not fixed to floor. I can't recall if I had this issue with any cars I've owned with cup holders in a similiar location/design. :confuse:
    dgd16,

There is a TSB with regards to wind noise at highway speeds on the 4 door civics.

There is a piece of weatherstripping that goes along the length of the window. It is suppose to go all the way to the end where the mirror is but it does not on some cars. There is a little gap there. This gap along with the design of the mirror causes a pressure to build up and causes a whistle or wind noise.

Most dealerships are aware of this TSB and you can go check behind your side mirrors, see if the black weather stripping goes to the end behind the mirror and look for a small gap or space. They install a small piece of foam like material with an adhesive back that fills the gap and removes the wind noise.

ajbcho,

With regards to the cup holders being warmed. There is a known issue with some cars. Under the cup holder is an air duct. This duct does not seat correctly on the point it attaches to or it comes loose. I have seen photos of it on other forums (8thgencivic.com) where people had to make their own fixes to keep the duct on the point it connects to and that solve the problem. It seems like a pain in the butt to fix. There is not TSB I know of yet for this.

My LX sedan does not have this problem yet but any big bump can cause the duct to come loose from what the photos show.
  • bellagiobellagio Posts: 16
    I took it to the dealer and of course, the car started perfectly every time. The service manager said everything was tested (battery, electrical system, etc.) and there was nothing wrong. He said it's normal for the car to take several seconds to start. NOT!!!!

My previous car was a Civic and it had no such problems. Why would a brand new car have starting issues? At this point, it's happening to me every few days.

There's a long thread about this on another civic forum.
    Go to link title then scroll down to "Starting Issue/Ignition Issue."
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    It would be great for our community if you or anyone experiencing this would fill us in on what they are talking about over there.
    Thanks kero1. Exactly what I was looking for.
    Read the tips from the other site and just finished up fixing the duct issue. Mine was completely knocked off from the duct connected to the dash.
    Was a really easy fix. Took me about 10 actual minutes to get the screw in to hold the 2 pieces...but it took about 40 minutes total.
    Some notes for anyone trying to do this.
    -Not much room in there for big hands.
    -Have a small screw driver, did I mention it's really tight in there?
    -If not working outside have a flashlight.
    -Be very careful not to drop anything.
    -I lost my 1st set of washer and screw. I found the screw, washer is rolling around somewhere in the console.
    -I lost my phillips bit. Thought I was in the clear after I got my 2nd set of washer and screw in. As I pull the driver away. There goes my bit. I now have a washer and bit rolling around in my console.
    -I have 3 more nice looking scratches on the plastic. Plastic in car don't seem very durable, I barely touched the pieces.

kero1, at least for mine. I fitted the pieces together and LIGHTLY tapped the bottom piece, it fell off completely. Tried a few times to force the issue and the 2 pieces just won't stay put. We have alot of potholes where I live. I'm guessing this was what caused mine to pop off. Thanks again for pointing me to fix!
    I am happy you fixed the problem and no sweat on the help :)

I might have to do this one day to, how did you get off the cup holder to get underneath.

I forgot where on the other forum the post was, hehehe.

If possible, please email the link to the post so I can book mark it for future potholes.
    Tried to send a private msg, but Edmunds is going through some maintenance right now. It's the 4th sticky in the "Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum". Let me know if you still need the URL and I'll pass it your way.

You don't have to get under the cup holders. The duct is right under the little chubby/storage/AUX input. Just pull up the silver plastic cover for the shifter and then remove the bigger black housing under that and it's right there.
  • nealmnealm Posts: 41
    I have driver side rattles that seem to be coming from the inside plastic door panels on my '06 coupe. Rough road and stereo base sound seem to cause the vibration intermittantly. Talk radio voice base sounds cause distortion that is most annoying. Pressing my elbow against the plastic panel deadens the vibe it I find the right spot. Three complaints met by, first, an inability to replicate, followed by, "well I hope this works" annoyance that I am pressing the issue. Any advice?
  • dano100dano100 Posts: 21
    Like many on this forum, I believe Honda quality is slipping compared to what it used to be. I still feel they make the best engines in the world for mass produced cars but many of their other components are failing at an alarming rate. I have owned many Hondas over the years and can attest to this fact. Here's my list of cars and major problems (not incl. wear and tear items):
    1983 Accord (my first Honda)-- zero problems,60K miles
    1990 Civic - new struts @140k miles!!
    1997 CRV - zero problems -- 30K miles
    2001 Acura CL - transmission replaced @ 23K miles
    2003 S2000 - squeaking front strut @ 20K miles
    2004 S2000 - zero problems -- 12K miles
    2005 Acura TL - faded dash, suspension squeaks, numerous rattles, collapsing head liner
    2006 Civic - before 9K miles the drivers side fr. struts replaced TWICE, rear suspension noise, "lug bug" issue, interior that scratches just by looking at it!
    I was so upset with this Civic that I traded it in this weekend for a leftover 2006 Mazda6 s Grand Sport. With over $9,000 in dealer discounts, rebates, Auto Show coupon and Mazda Finance money I paid a little over $20,000 for it. For less $$$ than a Civic SI sedan I got a beautifully assembled car with a V6, 6spd. auto.,leather/heated seats, Bose/Sirius audio, beautiful 18" wheels, a 4yr./50K new car warranty.
    The 2 good things I can say about the Civic is it's trade in value was only $2000 less than I paid for it last year and the mpg was very good. But I will not miss that car. C'mon Honda, get your act together! :mad: