Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• Options
    lexgs400lexgs400 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a fully loaded (including navigation system) 2001 LX470 in Feb. 2001 and was told by the dealer that an integrated telephone would be available soon. Well, it's nearly Feb. 2002 and there is no phone. I have talked to Lexus (national) customer service and have been told there is not and will not be an integrated phone for the 2001. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions, i.e., should I contact the dealer?
  • Options
    tmweiltmweil Member Posts: 1
    What are the advantages of the 2000 LX470 over 1999? 2001 over 2000? 2002 over 2001? I understand Lexus is introducing a new model for 2003. Any news compelling enough to wait?
    Thank you for your counsel.
  • Options
    khuynhkhuynh Member Posts: 28
    tmweil,

As far as I know, the 2000 LX has the wood/leather steering wheel compared to the '99's all-leather wheel. The '01 LX has optional DVD navigation and Mark Levinson stereo compared to 2000 (and prior) Nakimichi stereo. The '02 LX makes the nav and ML stereo standard, I believe.

Mechanically, I don't believe anything has changed since '98 (I think they had VSC and Active Trac back then).
  • Options
    christopher15christopher15 Member Posts: 6
    The '02 actually does not have the ML stereo standard, but it does have the nav standard like what khuynh said. The 1998 does not feautre the Nakimichi stereo. Prior to 2001 the the LX did not have the chrome(I believe) Lexus badge on the steering wheel.
  • Options
    9411794117 Member Posts: 39
    The 2000 model added features like Brake Assist, VSC and others:

http://www.autoweb.com.au/id_LEX/doc_lex0001041/article.html

Since the prior Land Cruiser had a seven year cycle (1991 to 1997), I'm guessing the 2003 LX will look the same as the 2002 but have major updates to keep up with the 2003 GX470. That means a 5 speed automatic, side airbags, steering wheel controls and maybe a bigger engine someday.

• Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Anyone know when the next year is for a body style change, what it will be like and what will be added to the current model? I love the concept of the dvd entertainment system they are optioning in the GX470.
  • Options
    md2002md2002 Member Posts: 142
    Looks real good to me, but I will wait for either a dealer wifes demo or an off lease deal. Still too high for me. Really like the Lexus value. But there is also the basic Toyota TLC or sorry, the Highlander since the Sequoia really isn't that nice.
  • Options
    stacystacy Member Posts: 91
    For those in the know, please tell me what the GX470 is and where I can find info on it. Is it the Lexus Sequoia or something else? Also, when is it coming out? thanks
  • Options
    The GX 470 will be due out in 1/03, and will be based on the redesigned 4Runner or Land Cruiser Prado. It is between the RX 300 and LX 470 in size and price, and is frame-based (i.e. a real truck).

Here's a link to some GX pics:

http://www.auto.com/photos/gallery/2002/lexusgx470/

Hope it helps.

• Options
    If the GX is based on anything it would make sense that it is a new 4-Runner. Car and Driver said it was based on the Sequoia but that makes no sense at all as the GX will be smaller than the LX470/TLC and both of those are smaller than the Sequoia. So the question remains what happens to the LX470 and TLC. Someone is running around these boards saying both will cease to exist in a few years. With the LX470 rated the class leader by just about everyone and the TLC being a legendary truck I find that one hard to believe. I think Lexus is hoping the GX gives them the big win that the RX300 gave them and that the LX470 and its TLC brother move up even higher in class. Sports athletes may retire when they are on top (rarely but at least Jim Brown and Sandy Koufax did) but autos and suv's don't.
  • Options
    toyotas1toyotas1 Member Posts: 134
    LOL!!!!! Anyway....yes, the TLC/LX IS as dead as the skin on Joan Rivers' face!!! LOL....oops...sorry, didn't mean to rub it in. I LOVE the TLC!!! I really do!! The interior is def, and the doors are SO SOLID, a real MAN's SUV. But....it's still dead in 2005!! Sorry......
  • Options
    lexgs400lexgs400 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have an integrated phone/navigation system in a 2001 or 2002 LX470? Did any other dealerships promise an integrated phone/navigation system for the 2001 LX470? My dealership promised this and now they are saying the phones cannot be integrated because of problems. There is a phone available, but the dealership says install at your own risk - no guarantee that it will work. Has anyone else had a problem with the phone?
  • Options
    Some super secret profile you have going there. Do you even work in the Auto industry?
  • Options
    toyotas1toyotas1 Member Posts: 134
    Now if I told you, it wouldn't be a secret, now would it?
  • Options
    megasuvownermegasuvowner Member Posts: 64
    Is it just me or does the rear of the new GX look an awfully lot like the current Mitsubishi Montero Sport with the rear tail lights, Rear side windows, and Rear hatch? Makes ya wonder why the high-level brand lexus would turn to mitsubishi for design ideas.
  • Options
    britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    it has been 6 months since the last oil change - but it hasn't been 5000 miles yet - should I go ahead and get the oil changed or wait until it's been 5000 miles? It is more important to change the oil at the 5000 miles intervals or do it according to the calendar? thanks
  • Options
    bernard1bernard1 Member Posts: 58
    Depends on your driving style. I have my oil changed every 7500 miles or 1 yr which ever comes first.
  • Options
    I have been changing oil every 5000 miles, but I don't think I would wait over 6 months for a change.

On a related topic, had anyone changed the "break-in" oil at 1000 miles? I know Lexus does not make this recommendation, though...
  • Options
    dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    If you live in a climate with relatively little change in temperature then 6 months for a change wouldn't be a big deal. If you live in a climate with 100 degree summers and below zero degree winters, you probably want to change your oil seasonally just to better suit the weather. Changing oil seems to be more of a personal preference (at least to Edmunds Town Hall posters IMO). Some say 3,000 miles religiously while others say 10,000 no problem.
  • Options
    I changed my oil at the 1000 mi limit then every 7500 miles or 1 yr after that.

As far as climate goes, unless you are using straight grade oil, then a multi-vicosity oil will last. The 5000 mi or 7500 mi of course depends on your driving style as well as the conditions.

Of interest, Lexus doesn't recommend synthetic oils with longer change intervals unlike most other manufactures. With the sludge problems is some of Toyotas 6 cyl engines it will be interesting to find out if they have a change in policy.
  • Options
    dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    It's kind of interesting that they don't recommend a longer change interval with synthetics...but that's an easy way for them to cover their warranty bases.

"Multi viscosity oils are one of the great improvements in oils, but they should be chosen wisely. Always use a multi grade with the narrowest span of viscosity that is appropriate for the temperatures you are going to encounter. In the winter base your decision on the lowest temperature you will encounter, in the summer, the highest temperature you expect. The polymers can shear and burn forming deposits that can cause ring sticking and other problems. 10W-40 and 5W-30 require a lot of polymers (synthetics excluded) to achieve that range. This has caused problems in diesel engines, but fewer polymers are better for all engines. The wide viscosity range oils, in general, are more prone to viscosity and thermal breakdown due to the high polymer content. It is the oil that lubricates, not the additives. Oils that can do their job with the fewest additives are the best." off of http://www.vtr.org/maintain/oil-overview.html

IMO changing ones' oil is a religious thing, but your average joe doesn’t have clue #1 (there’s just so much stuff to consider :)

• Options
    leleuxleleux Member Posts: 11
    Have a 2000 LX 470. They are changing out the brake rotors already at 25k miles. Anybody else have this happen? Is this a common problem? Truck was shuddering as it stopped.
  • Options
    my husband noticed this weekend that one of the rear windows in the back doesn't work - he checked the fuses and couldn't find one that was bad - the car has just over 24000 miles on it - would this be covered under warranty?
  • Options
    Yes, it's covered under warranty.

leleux - haven't heard about it on a Lexus but a friend of mines 4 runner had the same thing happen and they replaced it under warranty.
  • Options
    h3ybfpfh3ybfpf Member Posts: 16
    Can someone recommend a good way of removing rust spots/streaks around and on front and read wheels "brake covers" (I hope I've described this part correctly).

I drive 2000LC and live in Midwest. Needless to say, there is a lot of salt on the road during winter time. I noticed a lot of 98-01 LC's have these surface rust spots near the callipers on the "round part" that is made of what looks to be an alumunum and looks like it can be open with a key. It probably stores an ABS or VSC mechanism inside. Please note: The callipers do not have rust spots on them.

Anyhow, these rust spots look really bad and I was wondering if there is a way to remove them, preferably without taking the wheels off. Perhaps there is a chemical solution someone is aware of. I realize, one has to be careful not to damage alloy wheels.

Please provide as much info as possible. Thanks very much in advance.
  • Options
    kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    Thumbs up or down on the Mystic Sea Opalescence color in the 2002? We were considering ordering a new LX470 and have never actually seen the color in person. On the brochure and web site it looks great. On some internet photos I've seen of an LS400 of the same color, calling it electric green is putting it nicely. Thanks for any input.
  • Options
    im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    It looks OK.. IMO, you do want to see it in person before deciding.. it is, "apparent" shall we say.

Also, do be forewarned, it is not a "Money Color" on LXs. If resale value is a concern, go with Pearl White, Cashmere Beige, or Black if you live at least 300 miles north of where Palm Trees grow (Or in California)

Bill
  • Options
    Looks awesome in that color. You'll tend to see TLC's in that color as well. I'm not sure a truck this big will look good in the mystic sea color though it does look fine on the LS430. I've got the cashmere which I love and I was torn between that and the riverrock color. Didn't like white or black earlier but both colors have really grown on me as well.
  • Options
    Yeah that looksNiiice!

And it is a "Hot" color on Land Cruisers.. and Pretty good on LXs. Like I said tho.. Right VS Wrong color can be a $2K+ hit on a 3yr old one!

Choose wisely as they say!

Bill
  • Options
    stacystacy Member Posts: 91
    Get the color you like best. You will have to look at it every day and drive it. This is too expensive a vehicle not to get exactly what you want. Just my 2cents.
  • Options
    the golden pearl - we really like it -
  • Options
    Good point!

When I first moved to Orlando, before I opened my own store, I woked at the local Lexus sore to get an idea of the local market...

Sometimes people would come in and be indecisive on color "Well, we like the Pear White, but we also Like that Burgandy.. whatcha think Bill?"

My answer would be that it was, of course, their decision, but that if they liked both that the Burgandy ones (Say, LS400s) were selling for $3K less at auction, everything else being equal, than Pearl White ones.

Of course, Buy and Drive what you like! But.. if you are indecisive...or "on" a few different colors.... consider the external factors too!

Bill
  • Options
    kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    Thanks for the tips on the color. Finally saw one in the mystic sea, while nice, might be hard to live with for three years. Ended up going with the Land Cruiser in the thunder cloud because the ball and chain (just kidding honey) wanted gray interior.
  • Options
    According to Inside Lexus.com the LX470 will get a newly styled grille and front bumper, green tinted headlights and restyled rear tail lights. The wheels will jump from 16" to 18" and the instrument cluster, center console and upper dashboard will also be restyled. I assume it will be similar to the GX470 which has a great looking interior. Slight jum in HP to 235 and finally steering wheel audio controls. They are also adding the rain-sensing wipers, side impact curtain airbags and they are making an infrared night vision available as an option. I would also hope they add Lexus link and a dvd entertainment system, at least as options,but there is no mention of either.
  • Options
    wildecoyote248wildecoyote248 Member Posts: 2
    When is the 2003 Lexus LX 470 coming out? And is there any links to where I learn more about the 2003 Lexus LX.

What would you recommend out of a 2003 Lincoln Navigator, 2002 Lexus LX 470, or 2002 Toyota Land Cruiser??
  • Options
    I would imagine the 2003 will come to market in October or November. You may also want to look into the GX470.

If money is no object I'd go LX470, TLC and Navigator in that order but I'd also wait for the 2003 LX470. If money is an issue I'd go Navigator but its a bigger more lumbersome truck then the LX or TLC and nowhere near the quality, reliability or body build of either one. I'd again consider the GX which will be in the $45-50k range if money matters.
  • Options
    wildecoyote248wildecoyote248 Member Posts: 2
    Is there any sites that tell you info on the new 2003 LX 470?

Thanks for the Information lijflx !!

Do you think the 2003 Navigator is better than the LX 470! The new 2003 Model has got a couple of improvments , I like the versatily of the 2 and 3rd rows, where they can fold down to the floor. Do you think its still worth it though??
  • Options
    It really comes down to how often and how much a paticular gadget (or option) will better your life. For me power third row seats so they can fold flat, could be a benefit but I don't need the 3rd row so I would keep them down.

Again just depend on how it will improve your life. After all if you need three rows you have helpers to lower the seats for your (someday).
  • Options
    Maybe INSIDELEXUS.COM. I got this data from the printed version which they mail me each quarter.
    What you buy is really your preference. I test drove the Navigator and it's just not in this league but that doesn't mean it's not a good SUV. The LX470 rides like a luxury car and it's very quiet. But after reading the little I did I'd definitely wait to the 2003 if you go that route.
  • Options
    kappiahkappiah Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 LX470 with 19,000 miles. Just changed the rotors. The truck was vibrating vigorously at high speed when I step on the brakes. I thought that was a bit surprising to change rotors at 19,000 miles. Service Manager says that's because of the weight of the truck and it is not unsual. Shouldn't this early replacement be covered by the warranty?
  • Options
    automan227automan227 Member Posts: 118
    I do not own an LX470 so I don't if that change is normal however it's not covered because its a wear and tear item.

AS
  • Options
    kappiahkappiah Member Posts: 3
    Automan227, Thanks for the input. I still feel Lexus should pay for this. They should design/install rotors that are reasonably adequate for the size of the truck.
  • Options
    gbhopper2gbhopper2 Member Posts: 25
    I had a 2000 LX with 16000 miles and a worped rotor. It was caused by improper torqing the lug nuts when the dealer did the 15000 check up. I now have a 2001 with 34000 and have had no brake problems.
  • Options
    gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    First off, thanks ljflx for the new info on the lx. From what I read there this truck will finally become the perfect package. I was hoping they'd make some modifications to the truck. I drove a 2000 model and thought the truck was smooth as silk inside and out -- this sucker drives like a car! BUT it just lacked a few of the toys available on less $$ lux suv's (I'm a HUGE fan of steering wheel radio controls and trip computers). I ended up getting a 2000 Navigator instead and while I'm happy with the truck it just seems like the quality and overall feel of this truck doesn't come close to the Lexus. Like I read in a review, it looks like a big ole' truck and it DRIVES like a big ole' truck. I've also had to go back to the dealer more times than I would prefer to fix various minor but annoying defects. I know the Navigator is "all-new" for '03 but I get the feeling it is still nowhere close to the LX. Sooo, I'm saving up my pennies to fork over the 60 grand next summer for the new LX (the gx looks good but it's too small for me.) I can't wait to see what the new lx looks like... please post as soon as you folks hear anything! Thanks!
  • Options
    mdcyumdcyu Member Posts: 6
    i paid 594,000$ for a 2002 LX 470? with Mark Laverson system installed. Do you guys think it is a good deal?
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    mdcyu,

Did you drop a decimal point somewhere along the way?

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • Options
    sorry. it was 59,400.00$
  • Options
    tinlittletinlittle Member Posts: 21
    Mike, if there is no other options on the car except ML then the price you paid is about $5000 over invoice. In my opinion, it is not a good deal.

Keep in mind at the end of last year, lx470 won't sell at all. I saw local news paper advertising cut throat price. And there was even manufacturer to dealer incentive of around $3000.

Also if you search the lx470 archives, you would see lots of people bought their lx470 for $1500 to $2000 over invoice two years ago. And over the past few years, this car is virtually not changed, except lexus made some options standard.

But if you really like the car and can't wait to get it, I would say you did a very good job in negotiating $4000 off msrp. There is not much demand for this car anymore due to the ages of the design and competitions. Thus Lexus is producing less and thus the higher average selling price than before. That is partially the reason I am holding off the purchase.

If indeed a new lx is coming out for 2003, I would expect customer cash or dealer incentive from lexus and much lower dealer markup in the fall.

But thanks for sharing the price for us. Most people don't do that.
  • Options
    pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    I think the prices may be firmer because of less supply. I was trying to look at one a few months ago and the local dealer didn't have any. The next closest dealer (60 miles) had one. I just called the local dealer and he has one in stock.
    I think they must have cut production in anticipation of the GX 470 introduction which I thought originally was going to be sooner than next year. Does anyone think that the changes in the 2003 model ( 18 " wheels, changes to the dash& grill etc.) are worth the wait (November)?

Thanks
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply.
    what i paid was 5,420.00 $ less than the MSRP, which was 2,614.00$ over the invoice price.