Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• Options
    bigdave12bigdave12 Member Posts: 14
    Do all Lx's suffer from poor to almost
    no am radio reception? When I mentioned
    this to Lexus service they acknowledged
    this to be a problem, but offered no
    solution.
  • Options
    thedon11thedon11 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any information on the 2002 470? Price, equipment, availability etc.
  • Options
    kexicaokexicao Member Posts: 30
    Here is the info about 2002 Lexus LX470:

http://www.autosite.com/new/detmenus/2832.asp

• Options
    2002 lx470 has been on Lexus company
    website for several weeks. No changes
    dvd/nav now standard, thats it.
  • Options
    thedon11thedon11 Member Posts: 2
    To Kexicao and bigdave12:

Thanks for your quick response. That was my first visit to Town Hall and you were a big help.

Don
  • Options
    trails71trails71 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone installed the optional dual-band voice activated phone? I heard there were some bugs in it that Lexus was trying to work out. We just visited 2 dealers and one said not to install it and the other said it was fine.
  • Options
    treasurertreasurer Member Posts: 1
    Just read the message board and wondered how you made out in reference to messsages # 386 and 387.

My wife and I bought an LX470 in late March and we simply love it. My wife loves it more cuz she drives it all the time and I only get to drive it on the W/E.

Could you share any specifics so that I could go to my local auto accessory dealer and have this done?

Also, do you know if a signal splitter could be used to tie in a second monitor for the kids to view from ?

Thanks in advance for any help !
  • Options
    khuynhkhuynh Member Posts: 28
    I did not get my DVD bypassed, since the shop that Bigdave mentioned is in San Diego, and I'm in Texas. By reading the Land Cruiser thread and this thread, I surmise that there are only a few shops that can/will do this bypass.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Treasurer,

I did have the Dvd bypassed. However it is not an easy thing to do. Bypassing after markets Dvd players are relatively easy, they even sell kits to make it easy.

Bypassing the factory Lexus Dvd is another story. The shop that performed this service advised me it took them several months to figure out how to configure the system to work correctly. They have since then done many Lx's.

Khuynh was right even if some shops can figure it out, most are simply unwilling to do so. I don't think they want to assume any liability if somebody has an accident.
  • Options
    randybeckerrandybecker Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the quick responses to my question !

Bigdave12 - any advice on proceeding (i.e. I'd certainly apreciate some, rather than re-inventing the wheel, so to say, with several months worth of research)?

I live in New England and am friendly with an auto accessories shop owner in my state who can have the work done on the side for me. Maybe I should go out and buy the repair manual for the 2001 model -and review the wiring diagrams, etc. ???

If it's simply not worthwhile, please let me know and I'll drop searching for the DVD Holy Grail!

Thanks again!
  • Options
    Randy,

If I were you, I'd try your salesperson at Lexus. I pressed and complained to my salesperson that I thought it was ridiculous to have a dvd player that only played while the car was parked.

I am sure there is shop in the New England area that is doing them, and the Lexus salespersons know who they are.

Tell him you don't want to bypass the Dvd but does he know where other owners are taking their Lx for this service.

This is the way I would go. I would defintely not have a shop experiment with my car or be the test car in this learning process.
  • Options
    randybeckerrandybecker Member Posts: 2
    I'll do as you suggested !

I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Randy
  • Options
    vbentleyvbentley Member Posts: 21
    Have a 2000 LX470 and love it. Why would anyone go against the manuf recommendation for using high test? The price difference is normally 20 cents/gal in my area. If you drive 10000 miles per year that is a $166 difference at 12 miles per gal. You spend $50K plus on a vehicle and you're going to complain about $166? Get real!
  • Options
    gbhopper2gbhopper2 Member Posts: 25
    Any body know when the new NAV update will come out. Does the dealer need to install it and what will it cost??? I have a 2001 with 19000 on it and have no problem.Never been back to the dealer except for the 15000 check Love to drive the LX.
  • Options
    hiroshi4732hiroshi4732 Member Posts: 2
    Information of 2003 LX470 follows as
    1.5speed AT
    2.variable gear ratio steering
    3.18inch wheel
    4.side and curtain shield air bags
    and so on....
  • Options
    swiftmswiftm Member Posts: 68
    hiroshi4732: thank you for your post, any picture? Swiftm
  • Options
    keatonleekeatonlee Member Posts: 9
    hiroshi4732 -

I would appreciate any other info you have on the 03 LX.

Will there be a new lx in 03? ... just in Japan or the US as well?
  • Options
    jcbrackjcbrack Member Posts: 9
    screen while driving. I can understand the frustration.

But as I see it even after enabling it you will still need to install one or more additional LCD screens )for rear seat passengers) plus install a wireless transmitter for wireless head phones? By this time you have spent the same as a dedicated system. Even then you will have a less than perfect system:

1. You won't be able to use the NAV while playing a movies
    2. You won't be able to listen to other music while the movie is playing.
    3. You won't be able to pump other video sources like a Playstation thu it.

I have a roof mounted pod system in my LX and its great....my wife and I can listen to our CD's while the kids watch the movie (or play on the Playstation) with sound thru the wireless headphones.
  • Options
    augustus2augustus2 Member Posts: 7
    Just bought a cert pre-owned '00 LX470, 30K mi for 45k. Got new tires, 30k svc, and new brake pads front and rear thrown in (actually some of this would be part of cert. pre-owned anyway, no?). Would like to have paid roughly 42k - we're in a recession (&war), LX470 volume has dropped from like 15k per yr to like 8-9k per yr and htey nearly choked getting old '00s off the lot for the '01 yr...and GX470 is coming (I checked US Patent and Trademark Office and Toyota registered GX470 Trademark on July 25, 2001). Any feedback on price would be much appreciated
  • Options
    im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Excellent price for a certified car.

That ought to do closer to $41-42 at the auction if its clean and in a good color (What color is it?)
    Ya got a good deal. Local guys are getting about that for 99s!

Bill
  • Options
    it is black indeed..is that considered a good color there? Any idea what of the tires, 30k svc and brake pads are part of cert pre-owned anyway. I assume they all were but the tires,a dn even then, there's a clever way to push that cost out to Toyota.
  • Options
    Nope. Cant be costed to Lexus. Dealer pays.

Could be a good color, could be a bad color.

Where do you live? And what was the Interior color?

Bill
  • Options
    philg87philg87 Member Posts: 74
    With your dvd pod system how is the view in the second row seats for the person who sits by the window?I have been told from some that the view is not that great because your to close that it looks like a shadow from the side the person sitting right in the middle section and the third row seats have a clear view. Maybe it has to do with the size of the lcd screen?What size is yours?Can any one give me some in site on this matter. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    I am in the windy city (actually, it's not, that's just how Boston I think termed it so it wouldn't win location for the World's Fair in the 30s) in the Lake Shore Drive area.

Ivory interior

Would cert pre-owned require the dealer to replace tires and brake pads anyway?

Actually, I have it, I love it, and everyone said it was a very fair deal - nothing ridiculous, but I could have done much worse - so I'm happy
  • Options
    OK. Black is good up there, weak here in Florida (I live in Orlando.. nobody wants Black down here!)

The dealer is not required to do this work per se, but they have to be within like 50% of new tread on tires and brakes.

So, at your mileage, them were prolly getting thin. When I worked at a Lexus store we'd replace them unless they were a lot closer than that.

Bill
  • Options
    I am in the windy city (actually, it's not, that's just how Boston I think termed it so it wouldn't win location for the World's Fair in the 30s) in the Lake Shore Drive area.

Ivory interior

Would cert pre-owned require the dealer to replace tires and brake pads anyway?

Actually, I have it, I love it, and everyone said it was a very fair deal - nothing ridiculous, but I could have done much worse - so I'm happy
  • Options
    chitomchitom Member Posts: 6
    I'm shopping for a used 470 in the Chicago area and was curious where you got yours and how the dealer treated you. Thanks.
  • Options
    kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    I'm looking at a 2002 Landcruiser, and wanted to get Lexus LX470 owner's feedback on the navigation system. I understand it is standard on the LX470 this year. It's an option on the LandCruiser and wondering if you all are pleased with the system. Thanks for any info.
  • Options
    gbhopper2gbhopper2 Member Posts: 25
    Easy to use and well worth it. Kind of like power windows. Once you have had them you wouldn't want a car without them.
  • Options
    Yes the window seats in the second row have marginal viewing in my system. You need to lean a little towards the middle. I have a 6.5 inch screen. The problem is with the sunroof you cannnot mount the screen forward enough.

Newer screens I believe will have better side viewing angles..you need to check the specs.

Best viewing is third row or center 2nd. When we go on a trip the kids sit in the third row and we fold down the 2nd row seats to make a table or sorts...thats where the N64 sits. I run power from the center storage box outlet. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    I have the Nav in a GS300...works very well..much better than MB or BMW systems. Agree with the power windows comment....I will not buy a car withour a Nav system now.
  • Options
    philg87philg87 Member Posts: 74
    THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE.
  • Options
    jagger6jagger6 Member Posts: 2
    What are people paying for '02 LX 470s? Thanks for any help.

>jagger6
  • Options
    darrelltdarrellt Member Posts: 1
    I faxed eight dealers offering to buy one at $1,500 over dealer invoice. Terms, all cash the day following an acceptance. Four responded negatively and four did not respond. Guess I'll wait awhile...
  • Options
    National average is something like $2200 off of sticker last time I checked..

In South Florida Ive heard of deals as cheap as 2200-2300 over invoice, but $3K over seems to be the norm.

Bill
  • Options
    bricksolid1bricksolid1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 98 LX470 from Lexus of Mission Viejo in Southern California. This thing is immaculate, drives better than some 99's that I drove, and the whole deal was done over the internet, except for the test drive, of course. Michael Emmert and Ben Hodor are the guys to talk to. I have never went to the trouble of posting to boast about customer service, but I feel this is valuable info. for anyone contemplating purchasing a new or used Lexus in Southern Ca. From start to finish, I worked and worked on these guys to get a fantastic deal, and they had no problems getting me everything that I wanted. They were extremely friendly, not over-bearing or fast talkers in any way, shape, or form, and they were an all around pleasure to deal with. For those living in LA, Orange, Riverside, or San Diego County (where I live), I highly recommend giving these guys a call. You will be glad that you did!
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Brett, I'd have to agree. I've had the pleasure of working with Ben a number of times.
  • Options
    autobrokerautobroker Member Posts: 19
    Jagger6 asked about pricing for new LX's. In Southern California, I recently (late November) got an LX for someone - price was $1,700 over invoice which included a referral fee to me from the dealer. Today, I was asked for pricing on an LX for another client and it seems the pricing is about the same or higher. Reason - there are not a lot of LXs available. Same applies to the Land Cruiser.

I think a price at less than $2000 over invoice is a good price. Good luck with your search.
  • Options
    pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    I am considering the purchase of a LX470 but have found them in short supply in S. Calif. My local dealer (Palm Springs) doesn't have one nor do other dealers I've contacted. That makes it impossible to test drive one. I was told that they are essentially a special order. Does this mean that they are soon to be replaced with a new model or is ther some other reason they are in such short supply? It would seem that the shortage will make dealing difficult. Any info would be appreciated.
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I intercepted one for a client yesterday. Availability is horrible. It seems they cut production after Sept. 11th and now supply can't keep up with demand.
  • Options
    autobrokerautobroker Member Posts: 19
    Boy did I get a rude awakening yesterday. Another client asked me for LX470. Best price I found out there was $3500 over invoice - one "small" catch, the dealer doesn't have any but he had any, he said he would honor that price. I know you are all shaking your heads saying that if he had one, there is no way he would sell it at that price if he can get more.

Then I checked with other dealers - they have them but are selling them for $5500 to $8000 over invoice (which is essentially MSRP).

Short supply apparently has to do with a conscious decision by Toyota to cut production due to the recession. This has impacted, not only the Lexus LX470 but the Toyota Land Cruiser and Sequoia as well. Market pricing therefore is significantly higher.

One example, in November I got a Sequoia Limited for a client at $1200 over invoice. My client's benchmark for paying this was Carsdirect.com's pricing at $1200 over. Today, Carsdirect's pricing for the same car is $2900 over!

Pathdoc, there are LX470s available to look at in Orange County and LA. I found a number of them yesterday (high priced!) so if your goals is just to drive one, you should be able to do so if you call around.
  • Options
    christopher15christopher15 Member Posts: 6
    I am not planning on getting a Lexus LX 470 but I just wanted to know any owner comments on the Mark Levinson audio system. Is it as good as the one in the LS 430,GS 430,SC 430, or ES 300?I'm asking because I have heard many reviews on those cars and they say it may cause you to change your home theater system which really impresses me.
  • Options
    khuynhkhuynh Member Posts: 28
    The Mark Levinson in the LX470 is good, but not excellent as in the LS or GS. The subwoofer in the LX is 6", too small for the size of the truck, IMO. Remeber too that the smaller space in the sedans will produce better sound. That said, I think that the ML system in the LX sounds better than the aftermarket system I installed in my previous 4Runner (Alpine headunit, Boston Acoustics speakers/tweeters/subwoofer-8").
  • Options
    mmohneymmohney Member Posts: 3
    Hello. I am a junior at DePaul University in Chicago, Illiois. My introductory managment course is involved with a project dealing with an environmental analysis of a specific company/product. My group has chosen the Lexus LX470. Please help me by describing the demographic characteristics of 3 customer segments of the LX470. Also, what attributes as customers or potential customers of the LX470 would these different segments need/desire?

Thank you, in advance.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Michelle,

You might get some kind of response if (a) you explain what demographic characteristics of customer segments have to do with environmental analysis of a company or product and (b) of what use could a nonrandom sampling be to you? (By definition, you are not getting a random sampling by soliciting data from Edmund's members.)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    You may want to look up Prism on the net. It's a well known and highly regarded demographic segmentation system from a company called Claritas that marketers use to profile their potential customers. I'm sure many, if not all of the auto mfrs use it. You can probably also look-up Claritas. Good luck.

By the way its a fabulous truck.
  • Options
    Tidester: By definition, the environments of a company include the general environment (technology, political-legal, economic, and social-cultural) as well as the task environment which includes suppliers, labor market, competitors and CUSTOMERS. So an examination of the demographics of customer segments is perfectly relevant to my project. And as far as the sampling is concerned, my group is only required to seek information from a few individuals, not conduct a full-out sampling. Just leave the details of the project to me, okay, I'm just asking for information about the car.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    environments of a company include the general environment (technology, political-legal, economic, and social-cultural) as well as the task environment which includes suppliers, labor market, competitors and CUSTOMERS.

Thanks for the clarification. I understood your original message to refer to "the environment" meaning ecology.

Just leave the details of the project to me

Trust me! I have no intention of doing your work for you!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    geardaddiesgeardaddies Member Posts: 5
    MMoney,
    You actually asked someone to describe the demographic characteristics of a few of Lexus' customers as opposed to describing Lexus' customers demographics (which is much more meaningful) - so you did not ask for information about the car. It is difficult to condescend when you are in an introductory management course. A poorly phrased question will get an answer, just not the right one.
  • Options
    Geardaddies: I asked for information about 3 customer segments which encompasses much more than a "few" customers. It's three major demographically distinct customer groups each with specific attributes they desire/require.