Options

Ford F-Series Transmission Problems

Comments

• Options
    puguypuguy Member Posts: 6
    Just some thoughts. Are the trannys that you are putting in your truck used, or rebuilt? From my experience I can honestly say that you should never put a used tranny in your vehicle, unless you know exactly where it came from. Example: you drove the donor truck into your shop, and then pulled it's transmission knowing that it was working fine. The lift and stuff like that would have much more impact on your U-joints than your tranny. If you know for sure that your tranny's are fine, (it does not sound like they are), then be sure to thoroughly check the form and function of your linkage. This can also cause undesired problems. If the linkage isn't telling your transmission to go into drive when you shift it, then the tranny won't do anything.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about uyour problems. Sounds like you have a nice ride otherwise. It sounds like the valve body in the transmission has gotten gummed up with some gunk or build up. With mileage that low, doing a complete trans fluid change and flush is probably about all it really needs. If you don't know too much about doing it yourself, then take it to a reputable shop for the maintenance. You'll save a lot of money doing it on your own though. Purchase a transmission service kit for your truck. The kit should come with a pan gasket, and a new filter. Don't forget to get new fluid or it as well. Unbolt, and drop the pan (this is messy) Remove the filter. Visually inspect the valve body. Teh valve body looks like a bunch of little channels and holes stamped into plate metal. If you see any build up or gunk obstructing any of the channels simply remove it by spraying it with carb cleaner and a soft bristle brush if necessary. Let the carb cleaner evaporate, and remove its residue (if any) with a cloth. Install new filter screen, and replace pan with new gasket. Tighten bolts to spec and fill tranny with appropriate amount of fluid. Be aware that the torque converter will retain between one and two quarts (sometimes more) of the old trans fluid. The only way to get it out is a flush done at a shop. If you just dump in the quantity that Ford specifes as the system capacity, your tranny will be way over filled! Feel it out, Be patient, check your fluid periodically while adding. Sometimes you will need to run it through all the gears before the dipstick will read right! Good luck.
  • Options
    easyputteasyputt Member Posts: 1
    i just had a new rebuilt transmission put in my 1997 F-150 The installer has no idea why it squeals has 350 miles on it
  • Options
    03fordguy03fordguy Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have an 03 F-250, V-10. Recently on cold mornings 20 deg or lower, My transmission doesn't want to shift into overdrive until the transmission is at operating temp. I have checked the fluid level, and the transmission was serviced less than 10,000 miles ago. Color is red, and seems in good condition. Around the time this started, I was also having engine issues. It took me a 1/4 tank of fuel to go 30 miles and the truck seemed real sluggish. I put it on the computer, but it came up with no codes. I did find out that 2 cylinders were running lean in the right bank. I replaced all 10 spark plugs, and changed the fuel and air filter. That seemed to remedy the sluggishness and the fuel issues for now, but I still have the issue with the transmission, and it only happens in the morning. Please help. Thanks, Steve
  • Options
    hinkle13hinkle13 Member Posts: 1
    My Automatic transmision wont shift out of 2nd gear, every thing else works fine the 4x4 and 1st even reverse, for some reason it just wont shift from 2nd to 3rd, anyone heard of any problems like this. I really dont want to replace the tranny if I dont have to?
  • Options
    sstevens1sstevens1 Member Posts: 1
    My 94 Ford F-150 has started making a strange noise when I accelerate after a stop. I hear a "clunk" sound in the area of the front differential just as the truck picks up speed. This truck has an auto transmission and 4-wheel drive. It won't go into 4-wheel high but it does go into 4-wheel low. I haven't tried to drive it in 4-wheel low, but it seems to shift just fine. On the highway, the transmission seems to shift just fine. I have just over 142,000 miles on my F-150 and otherwise it's in good shape.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    gbasicgbasic Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Ford F-150. when I brake at slow speeds, the truck bounces coming to a stop. It seems like the transmission is not shifting down and releasing like it supposed to. Has this ever happened to anybody else? Need some help please!
  • Options
    alaskanrednekalaskanrednek Member Posts: 4
    OK, SO JUST AS THE TITLE SAYS I HAVE A 96 F-350 WOTHE THE EO4D TRANNY. OD LIGHT ON SHIFER WAS FLASHING, NO SPEEDO, AND IT WAS SLIPING VERY SUDDENLY. I CHANGED THE ABS SENCER ON REAR DIFF. DIDNT CHANGE ANYTHING, THE TRUCK HAS 60K ON IT, THE TRANNY 20K. ANY IDEAS BEFORE I GIVE UP AND TAKE IT TO A SHOP????? MY E-MAIL IS alaskanrednek@hotmail.com ANY HELF WOULD BE GREAT.

THANKS
  • Options
    That's a strange problem. If you turn the overdrive off, does the problem still occur? If the problem ceases when Overdrive is off, then you are having issues with the torque converter. The lockup clutches seem to be malfunctioning. If the tranny has been rebuilt, it is often likely that the torque converter was not replaced at the same time. A new (or rebuilt) torque converter is not always included in a transmission re-build. I think it should be.
  • Options
    Hello. The clunking you are hearing could be a couple of different problems. First and most common i the u-joints. The u-joints will clunk when they become worn out. This is a fairly common problem on 4X4's because they typically have a higher ride. The noise is caused by a gap having worn between the yoke, and the contact area of the u-joint. This can be quite hazardous if the u-joint breaks, and the driveshaft falls out. The other possibility is that one of the ball joints in the front suspension may be worn out. When you start to accelerate and the weight shifting backwards relieves some of the pressure on the ball joint it "pops" upward a bit resulting in a metallic clunk noise when the ball hits the metal cup it rides in. U-joints = easy and inexpensive fix. Ball joints = difficult, and very time consuming fix. Not necessarily expensive, but difficult, and can be pretty scary if you don't have the proper tools and know how.
  • Options
    I will have to checkand see if that had been replaced. I was told there is another speed censer that is actually on the tranny. Do you know where that is? Thanks for the tip, I will post when i do find out what it is. It seems that there are a few people having this problem
  • Options
    bmanfordbmanford Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. I have noticed Midwest and Jerry Johnson on many sites for Toyota warranties and they sell ford warranties as well. I wanted to let all the ford owners know that we can save money. I purchased the $0 deductible for my 09 F150 4x2 7/75k for $1185.

Thank you,
  • Options
    tenglandtengland Member Posts: 1
    I have 49k on my truck. And the trans just went out. I called ford they told me that this isn't a common problem. However once talking to mechanics at the repair shop they informed me that they are making several trans repairs on newer model F150's. If you have had similar problems please let me know and call Ford.
  • Options
    bradssilvias16bradssilvias16 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '94 thats doing the same thing. If i find out anything I'll post again. Thanks!
  • Options
    ullr1ullr1 Member Posts: 1
    Just recently I have been haveing a bit of a problem with my tranny. the od light on the shift lever blinks and the transmission shifts with hard clunks. seems to happen when under load (ie) driving up hill. I don't haul any thing with the truck. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated Thanks ullr1
  • Options
    JJworcesterJJworcester Member Posts: 8
    I got a 93F150 4X4 with a 5.0L engine. I got multiple problems which occured all at once -as it is always the case with old cars- Ok, here it goes. it looks like the tranny went. However, when the truck is idling there is a kind of a clunking sound coming from the tranny/torque converter. could that be a sign of a bad converter and does that mean all i would need is a new/rebuild converter? The fluid looks and smells like burned wood which coincided with the tranny matter timing. My next issue, as I was forcing the gear lever up and down something seemed to have let go. now it won't stop in any position. Any idea what i might have broken???
  • Options
    nono226nono226 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 93 f 150 with a 5.0 and a 4 AOD trany my problem is that my acelerator is realy hard and when i disconect my trany cable from the acelerator the pedal gets soft can anyone help me in finding out how i can make my trany cable not be so hard on the acelerator trany works excelent just having my gas pedal so hard makes my truck anoying to drive sometimes.
  • Options
    dozer37dozer37 Member Posts: 1
    hello all i have a 98 f-150 4x4 when i put it in drive i have to rev the motor for it to engage into gear then it drives and shifts fine untill i come to a stop i changed the fluid and filter still does it
  • Options
    bugs301bugs301 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 f150 with 80,000 miles. the trani just went out. Have not heard from ford yet on what the issue or cost is. but I could not believe I would lose a transmission at 80,000 miles.
  • Options
    willie88willie88 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 F350 with a manual transmission. The truck has 170,000 miles with a 7.3 diesel. When shifting to 3rd gear it seems to want to slip out or not go in the gear all the way, resulting in grinding of the gears. Could someone help me to figure out if it is the snycronizer or the gear itself
  • Options
    gym2gym2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 F150 with 78,000 miles. The transmission was totaled and is being replaced. It is covered under the extended warranty.
  • Options
    binboulderbinboulder Member Posts: 1
    Driving from Colorado to California, middle of the night, idling at reststop. I hear a pop, and then a loud whirring sound, and transmission fluid starts flooding onto exhaust header. Get towed to Ford Dealership, and after 45 minute inspection, I was told I'd blown out the pump seal, that it was still leaking, and I'd be lucky to drive 2 blocks. Wanted $4K for new transmission. Chk'd with another transmission repair place, and bought (2) cases of transmission fluid to be able to drive 50 miles to next town to replace pump seal. Bottom line, I drove 800 miles, never lost a drop of fluid, every once in awhile, the indicator on the gear shift lever will blink, the transmission will shift very hard between gears.

Is that just a computer module failure? Can it be replaced?
  • Options
    cowboy9cowboy9 Member Posts: 161
    If you end up needing a Transmission and you are from Colorado or in Colorado ( guessing Boulder since it's in your name ) I have a shop that can rebuild yours for a good price, well I think. I don't see what kind of truck you have or year, I have a 01 Diesel and mine was 2000.00. That was a couple years ago but I am sure they have not gone up that much, that was me pulling and putting in myself which they are not that hard to do. Let me know if you want me to hook you up with them. The Tranny you would be getting is like everyone else's 4K Tranny and that is with a New Torgue Converter.
  • Options
    brownie8472brownie8472 Member Posts: 1
    f150 4x4 auto tranny some time shutters when taking off but the tach doesnt show it slipping.Ive been told by two mechanics is not require changing the fluid in that model tranny? any help
  • Options
    Well I am not sure which year you have but all Automatic Transmissions Fluid should be changed between 20K & 30K miles depending on what you are doing with them. If it Shuttlers when you take off though more than likely it's a Carrier Bearing on the Drive Shaft going out. Sometimes its a U - Joint or Yoke play but I am betting on the Carrier Bearing. They sometimes can be a pain getting off and putting back on but if you have a Puller and Cheap Press it makes it alot easier.
  • Options
    95fordf15095fordf150 Member Posts: 11
    i have a 95 150 2wd 5.8 auto overdrive on shifter OD will not shut off sometimes. it use to start backup now it must cool off . was thinking fuel. but now its stalling long enough to check for spark none till cool. longer it sets the farther it goes. new coil. are the 2 related ? it has 250,000 trans does not slip can feel little jerk sometimes if it does not stall PLEASE HELP
  • Options
    WELL AFTER SOME REAL HEAD SCRATCHING, A FEW WORDS I LEARNED IN THE THIRD GRADE, AND A LOT OF HELP AND ADVICE FROM HERE MY TRUCK IS FIXED! IT WAS THE WIRING IN MY SPEED CENSOR. IT WAS WORE OUT AND EXPOSED. THE SHOP WANTED TO REPLACE MY TRANNY BUT I CHECKED AGAIN. I HAVE PUT 5K ON IT SINCE AND IT IS RUNNING LIKE A CHAMP. ANY AFTER MARKET SPEED SENCERS COULD HAVE THE SAME PROB. SO GOOD LUCK TO ALL WITH THIS CRONIC PROBLEM.
  • Options
    checked harness looked good . got codes for pip sensor this time . changed starter & battery before . had to hit starter before to engage it. just replaced sensor let you know what happens . sprayed PB baster in OD button seams to work know i HOPE!!!
  • Options
    so far so good thanks for the help. hope my info helps someone too.
  • Options
    ljeffys22ljeffys22 Member Posts: 1
    it was a plug used during assembly at the factory to keep debries out -the dip tube was installed when mated to the motor and that plug was just pushed into the pan when installing dip tube--just toss into trash
  • Options
    safeman23safeman23 Member Posts: 1
    i took the transmission out of my truck to change a gasket but when i put it back in it will not shift out of 1st gear but will go into neutral. i have looked at it over and over again and cannot figure it out.
  • Options
    joemac3joemac3 Member Posts: 5
    I have a F150 and only 60k on it and have possible tranny problems jerks hard in overdrive.
  • Options
    I have a 2006 F150 had to put a short block in it at 47k now at 60k While driving down the free way at 1600-1800rpm and 60-65mph it jerks real hard multiple times until I give it more throttle or drop it out of OD only DTC is P0553 power steering pressure sensor circuit high pressure. I just had a power steering pump and rack and pinion put in 2 months ago. Someone please give me some ideas thanks.
  • Options
    I'm loosing mine at 60k these new trucks are not made to last
  • Options
    Sounds like a possible bearing problem.
  • Options
    c_davidsonc_davidson Member Posts: 2
    I have a 92 Ford F150 4X4 with a 5.0, I lost reverse 3 years ago and I have been driving it every day, I was told it has to be rebuilt, but I can't belive it. The fluid is good and red, no burnt smell. It drives forward just fine no slip gose right in, It just wont back up, and yes I have checked the linkage,and that is not the problem. Can someone help please? not backing up is driving me nuts..Thanks
  • Options
    c_davidsonc_davidson Member Posts: 2
    Dose it happen on flat land or in a slight hill?
  • Options
    hednwesthednwest Member Posts: 1
    Just two days ago , with 72,000 miles, the transmission slipped from a dead stop /take off at the 3rd shift, approx 40 mp. All of sudden the engine races to 4-5K rpm, then thumps into gear and finishes shifting as I accelerate to 65 mph/2K rpm. Any ideas what I am dealing with here. Is this an issue that will leave me stranded or will it give me warning before it becomes inoperable. Thanks.
  • Options
    screw04screw04 Member Posts: 1
    This is exactly what my 2004 Supercrew 4x4 is doing. Did you get any good ideas about what this could be? I tried replacing 4x4 auto locking hub solenoid with no luck.
  • Options
    mike9408mike9408 Member Posts: 74
    I have a 1991 F-150, 4.9, 5 spd (Mazda). It is supposed to have a bushing in the shift tower but hasn't got it. I checked with dealership, the guy says yes it is supposed to have one but they don't last long. (???) Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket bushing available or have a drawing of one so I can make one myself ? Thank you, Mike9408
  • Options
    Hey Mike,
    I don't think there is an aftermarket one, it's like the Clutch tower on the trucks when the bushing goes out on it just replace n go on. Yes it should be steel but hey the probably save 500.00 on that part, lol.

Tony
  • Options
    Thank you Tony, I will hang for awhile. Maybe buy one from FORD, its plastic, then make a duplicate out of Brass or Bronze. The guy at the dealership told me they don't last long, seems like they would have upgraded. But by the time anyone sees the problem they have to replace the tower and all. Job security I guess. Thanks Tony.
    Mike
  • Options
    foxfire102foxfire102 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 ford F-150 4x4 with a 5-spd man. transmission. The tranny will go into reverse but not in any of the foward gears. Not sure what type of tranny it is yet. Simple fix? any advice would be helpful.
  • Options
    What type of oil does your transmission use? If it uses automatic transmission oil it is probably a Mazda tranny. Does the shifter still have detents like normal or does it flop all over? If it flops all over then the pins on the sides of the shift tower have probably fallen out or just worked out a little way allowing the shifter to flop around and it would be difficult to get it into any gear usually will go into the gears in the 4 corners of the shift pattern (1st,2nd,5th&Reverse). If this is the case, you will either have to replace the pins (mentioned above) or take them out clean them up and the holes they fit into (no oil), put a drop of thread lock on the pin, rotate them so that the worn area is on top and bottom and re-insert them. It will be necessary to drive the pins back in with a small hammer till they seat. Now you will have to wait 24 hours for the thread lock to cure. (You can gently try the shifter to see if this has taken care of the problem but advise waiting at least overnite to drive). Please let me knw what you have found out. Mike
  • Options
    meiceeemeiceee Member Posts: 4
    My 2007 XLT 5.4L transmission (AODE?) jumps or bangs intermittently under light load at 40-50 mph....works fine on highway or pulling away from stop...seems to happen when going from coast to light throttle at 40 to 50 mph as if it's not sure what gear to be in. I took it to Ford and they changed the transnission fluid but it's still doing it. No codes were found. Bad sensor? Appreciate any help!
  • Options
    Typo....actually 2005 w/150,000 miles.....
  • Options
    jmh7jmh7 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Darklion
    Have you figured out the problem? I hae a 2006 F150 and have the exact same problem.
  • Options
    jmh7jmh7 Member Posts: 2
    Hi I have the exact same problem with my 2006 F150. When driving 40-45 mph there is a clunking sound as the transmission shifts in and out of OD. Once I'm driving faster it seems to be fine.
  • Options
    Not yet....taking it back to Ford friday so they can test drive it....will keep you posted. I didn't think about the OD...maybe I'll turn it off today and see what happens.
  • Options
    kellen1991kellen1991 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    I have a 2005 f-150 FX4 5.4L triton and it seems to me like the tranny has been slipping while i am pulling a trailer(never over 3,000lbs) last summer i was experiencing a problem where when i would accelerate from a dead stop, and when it shifted from 1 to 2, i could feel and hear it slipping. it only would last for a second or two or until i let off the gas for it to lock in. i took it to my trusted mechanic and he dropped the pan and said everything looked normal, and flushed it. after this it acted fine until about a month ago it went back to doing the same thing. it does it quite often while pulling 2 snowmobiles on a trailer, and once in a while without a trailer. any ideas on what is wrong with it? the truck only has 56,000 miles and probly started doing this with about 44,000 miles. i find this weird for so new and few miles, and i have not yet taken it to the dealer with a trailer to show them, but my powertrain warranty is good thru november 2010. any ideas on what is wrong or what i should do? also, my mechanic has looked a couple times and it has never thrown a code out