Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    I would venture the sheer increase in tech that the hybrids represent are the future "gotta have one" trend as the economic trends reverse and guess what sling shots back over $4.00/gallon.

Assuming gas prices do shoot up the economics of a 3rd generation Prius still does not make sense while the Honda Insight does make sense.

That is why Toyota has decided to continue selling 2nd generation Priuses at much lower Honda Insight prices.

And for those green enviro folks will the emissions of a 2nd generation Prius really be so devastating when compared to a 3rd generation Prius? NOPE!

The 3rd generation Prius is more of a geekmobile for people who want the latest technologies in a non-luxury package. By June 2009 with my Prius delivery I will officially become a designated geek. ;)
  • I consider all of the twin turbo BMW vehicles impractical for USA driving (speeding tickets,etc;), not very good on fuel economy and quite trouble-prone, I would only consider the 128i.

Are these similar to Dewey's 335 problems, or some thing has to do with the tt engine?
    Recently there was an uproar on the greed of all those oil companies raising prices.

Now with low prices nobody here is calling oil companies altruists or Corporate Mother Theresas.

The Truth :Market prices of all commodities go up and down like a YoYo independent of the greed of oil companies.

Now bankers are the new villians and the heroes are all those folks that were duped into lying about their financial histories and duped into living lifestyles that were far beyond their means. Unfortunately the frugal folks who saved and saved and saved and lived below their means will have to fund those poor innocent duped folks out of their troubles. It just amazes me that so many frugal ones were not even duped by those very very persuasvie greedy bankers.

Go figure?
    My twin turbo engine is a gem as confirmed by the many awards it received worldwide as among the best of the best engines.

Unfortunately almost everything else in my 335i isn't gem-like.

The reason I am not interested in another performance car is that there are no perforance cars that are equivalent to my 335i in terms of price.

A Audi S4 or S5 may be superior but at what price $$$.
  • I never said hate BMW. It just that when BMW = Big Money Wasted is written, with no one here jumped to its defence is some that would have never happen a year ago in LL.
    IMHO, every car company makes very good cars these days. So, it is very easy for people to ditch one and found some thing different that fits his needs better.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    A lot of folks have had fuel pump issues, There have been an unusually large number of complaints from folks who have the 135i and 335i, but strangely not the 535i.

I'm not sure what kinds of problems Dewey was having with his 335i. I know part of his frustration was not being allowed to drive the vehicle with the exhilaration it deserves. I felt the same when I had the 545i. :(
    "No one here jumped to its defense" (BMW)

Sorry. I was away on "sabbatical leave". ;)
    It has been a long wait but:

1. the 1 Series line for 2009 is now eligible for the BMWCCA rebate. Given its price range, this will be $500.

2. the 2009 X6 will be eligible for a $1000 rebate from BMWCCA although who would want this strange, purposeless beast is beyond me.

To become eligible for a BMWCCA rebate, one must be a member of BMWCCA continuously for at least 12 months at time of purchase or lease.

After I bought my 328i, I filed and received my $500 check within 3 weeks. :)

Dues are $40 a year, $15 of which goes to a subscription to "Roundel", one of the world's truly great car magazines.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,687
    Agree. And when oil was booming to incredibly high prices that made no sense whatsoever it was big oil companies that were blamed when in fact it was Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs that bought every oil future they could and then had their oil analysts talk up $200 prices and use China as an excuse. It all died when the Saudi's offered the big oil companies ecxclusively 2mln barrels a day at 20% under market price and they had no interest. Goldman and Morgan started dumping immediately and suddenly oil was down 40% in no time, on its way from $147 to $34. If not for the ensuing economic crisis, both Morgan and Goldman would have been investigated for price fraud.
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Posts: 2,285
    If not for the ensuing economic crisis, both Morgan and Goldman would have been investigated for price fraud.

You are SO right! Those SOB's should all be behind bars right now.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,372
    Well, I am sure you will not second guess that decision. Very best of luck!

Regards,
    OW
  • clemboclembo Posts: 253
    I don't think that anyone jumped in to defend BMW because those of us that have them understand that they do demand that the owner makes certain compromises - I'll list a few.

On the good side you get a great engine, great vehicle dynamics, sport package option which adds to the fun, nice luxury touches, some have great styling, and you get a bit of badge prestige.

On the down side you pay a lot for the performance, you get less than great interiors, some reliability issues, terrible run-flat tires, I-Drive, some have strange styling, and you may be percieved as a snob by some due to the badge.

In my opinion, BMW's have become nore of a compromise to own as they have tried to appeal to more people to raise sales. Not that long ago they were mainly coveted by entusiasts who liked fun to drive cars and usually not a lot of fluff. Now thay have become very complicated and appeal to a wider audience.

I am looking forward to see what tough decisions BMW will make going forward. Getting rid of Bangle is a good start, now that they have stopped subsidizing their leases they will need to really provide value to the cash buyer who will demand more for for their money as other choices exist.
    Be careful. The 128i is a good car. The 135i is a different animal...as I'm sure you are quite aware.

I drove both and can never again consider the 128. :sick:

Regards,
    OW
    Thanks for the warning! Heh! Heh!

I pretty much know what I am in store for, having driven a 545i for 3 years. :)

When I see the owner complaints subsiding a bit, I will consider driving a 135i.

It's funny how all logical debate of the merits of purchasing a 128i vs 135i gets thrown out the window after one actually drives both of them (and I will). I can make valid arguments for purchasing the 128i over the 135i as I did for the 328i over the 335i. I made a mistake in my logical philosophizing....I failed to take into account that the "fun to drive" factor totally eclipses "better mileage", "more reliable engine", etc;
    It's called the Jones Bubble. The folks that bit will need the most help.

The foundation of the financial system are always the people with their heads screwed on straight. When the Jones outweigh the sensible, the economy suffers.

“One of the predictors of a happy vs. an unhappy outcome (to the economic collapse) has to be with the rule of the elite or the decision makers or the Bread Line, Chicago, WPA photopoliticians or the rich people within the society. If the society is structured so that the decision makers themselves suffer from the consequences of their decisions then they’re motivated to make decisions that are good for the whole society whereby if the decisionmakers can make decisions that insulate them from the rest of society then they are likely to make decisions that are bad for society. [In this case] I think I would like the rich to suffer even more, the politicians to suffer even more because they would then be motivated to solve the problems and they wouldn’t have the sense that “It’ll be okay for us.”

David Faber: If somewhere along the line someone could have said to the the guys at the bank, “You’re doing the wrong thing,” [said] to the lender, ‘You’re doing the wrong thing,’ maybe we could have averted this crisis.”

Alan Greenspan: It’s not that they weren’t aware the risks were there. It’s not that these people were dumb. They knew precisely what was going on. The vast majority of them thought that they knew when to get out. It was a failure of our best and our brightest.

David Faber: “You seem to have been relying on the good judgment of the management to say, ‘We’re going to step out now.’ These weren’t bad decisions they were making. These were the worst decisions financial executives have ever made. Greed played a part in this.

Alan Greenspan: “And you’re going to pass legislation that’s going to outlaw that. Try it.

Faber: So you still believe in the free market…

Alan Greenspan: I firmly believe that because I know of nothing in the evidence of the alternatives.

Faber: Fully acknowledging the bad things that go along with it?

Greenspan: This is one of the most extraordinary things about this whole episode. Looking at the way we all behaved, how is it possible that this species built up such an extraordinary world standard of living that has drawn hundreds of thousands of people out of poverty? The thing we should be most extraordinarily appreciative of is how far this system has carried us because there is no doubt that somewhere in the future we’re going to have this thing again. It will not be for quite a period of time, but it will occur because the flaws in human nature are such that it doesn’t work.

Regards,
    OW
  • I just got a notice from Lexus asking to replace the fuel delivery pipes in my IS. They stated that NA fuel can corrode these pipes. Apparently this also affects the GS and LS models.
    My dealership service personnel said that the fix is free of charge, and they also whispered that they would fill up the gas tank after the work is done.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    It's funny how all logical debate of the merits of purchasing a 128i vs 135i gets thrown out the window after one actually drives both of them (and I will). I can make valid arguments for purchasing the 128i over the 135i as I did for the 328i over the 335i. I made a mistake in my logical philosophizing....I failed to take into account that the "fun to drive" factor totally eclipses "better mileage", "more reliable engine", etc;

It's the same logical debate that caused you to purchase the 328i in the first place. Surely you don't want to repeat that again so quickly! Heck, I almost chose the Jag over the 135i for the same logical mentality, and in doing so, I allowed myself to be emotionally deprived for a number of weeks, until I couldn't take it any more. Now, driving is a happy experience once again. Thankfully, before it was too late!

There really aren't any ultra significant downside issues associated with choosing the 135i over the 128i. What are you concerned about? The TT engine, as Dewey pointed out, is a worldwide multiple award recipient... and it truly deserves them. I love the engine.

If you have any questions or concerns at all about the 135i, I'm the guy to ask on this forum. I'll only give you the straight dope on the car... the pros and the cons, so fire away. :)

TM
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,687
    Lexus fills the tank on anything like that.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Who wouldn't? On a repair/recall like that, a full tank should be SOP.

TM
    Sorry to hear that.

While it was stated recently by another poster that virtually all cars built today are "good", none of them are completely bulletproof. It is still a crapshoot and one has to be lucky. I was fortunate not to have to bring any of my 4 BMW's in for anything but routine maintenance, except for one time-that's once in 16 years.

Sounds like Lexus is much better than BMW as far as honoring warranty items. I had a heck of a time trying to get a free battery for the 545i when the original one died on me in late 2007. BMW attempted to blame my driving style and told me I must pay! A few phone calls "upstairs" and the service manager saw the light and replaced the battery free of charge. After that I took my BMW business elsewhere and gave the service dept. all "1's" when I was called by BMW to rate my experience.

The most pleasant sales experience I ever had was back in 2005 at Lexus when I drove the GS 300 and GS 430. I didn't buy, but recommended the salesman to a friend who did buy. The salesman sent me an unsolicited check to express his gratitude! So nice! I can certainly see why many folks choose to drive Lexus vehicles-the service experience can be wonderful.
    "It's the same logical debate that caused you to purchase the 328i in the first place."

Exactly! That was the point I was attempting to make. What works on the drawing board can fail miserably in actual practice.

The Jag is nice. One of our friends has one-the styling is nice and the seats are beautiful, but it is not too roomy and I wouldn't want to drive one every day.

Knowing your bias (like many of us) toward exhillirating vehicles, you made the correct choice!

Heck, even "haven't-got-a-clue" Consumer Reports took its blinders off, decided a vehicle that can actually be fun to drive is a positive thing and rated the 135i Coupe an astonishingly high 97 last October!

I appreciate your willingness to provide me with help regarding the 135i. If anything comes up, I surely will ask you. :)

I will give it a few months. I want to put some miles on the 328i before I trade it in.
  • I saw the new RX too, at my dealership yesterday when I took in my RX for a new battery. I have to agree with you that the interior is really nice, and the front seats felt a lot better. I have to get used to the new front end, but I do like the rear and the overall sleeker shape/profile. You mentioned power, I think its the new six speeds auto helps since it's pretty much the same 3.5 V6 isn't it?
    I can't wait to test drive the new hybrid version.
    I just saw a new RX 350 (black) about an hour ago parked on the street. It looks bigger and less "feminine"-a step in the right direction for many of us who have always considered the RX to be a woman's vehicle.
  • This is my first recall involving my three Lexus vehicles so far
  • I agree that Lexus does live up to its reputation for excellent customer service. It's the best of all auto brands that I have had.
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    Hi Dewey

About forty years ago, the news paper in Charleston ran a series of articles on the house prices before the Civil War and after it.....As we both can imagine , when prosperity is interrupted the house price slowly begins to decline, and then much more rapidly until it just doesn`t become a factor anymeore, sort of like what has happened to the major banks over the last couple of years...People point their finger at different culprits, but in the end it just doesn`t matter....I think the loss of supporting values in our American economy is going to continue and the housing decline will also continue until it just doesn`t matter, as the large majority of people need a roof over their head, and will continue to pay their mortgage for it...Those that can`t will rent, and the forclosed properties will languish until they are marked down to a point that someone makes the effort to buy...realizing their present home is worth alot less also....Tony
    The one area BMW really needs to improve on is its customer service.

I can't count how many times I have been to car dealers for sales and service, but I have to say based on what I have found, BMW is behind VW and most certainly, Lexus.
    One of the biggest lies perpetrated on the American public in recent years is "everybody can own his own home." There is nothing wrong or shameful in renting.
  • One of the biggest lies perpetrated on the American public in recent years is "everybody can own his own home." There is nothing wrong or shameful in renting.

Agreed. For so many reasons...the workforce right now is pretty migratory, and being able to move to where the jobs are or closer to work can help a lot with the quality of your life and commute times and family time etc. That down payment you would've used on the house can be invested. You have much more liquidity. There are no maintenance issues on the rented house.
    Imagine making mortgage loans without background checks! I don't blame the customers. The bankers should be held accountable for their part of the current mess the USA is in. They had the obligation and responsibility to say "no" to folks who were buying too much house and for some, buying any house! They weren't doing their job. The feds shouldn't be giving these banks loans. They should be issuing heavy punitive fines to the responsible banks so it never happens again.