Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70 New Owner Reports

Comments

• We've now had our new C70 for 4 weeks, although we've only put a few hundred miles on. (We're keeping the car that it will eventually replace for a while longer, so for now the C70 is an "extra" car.)

So far, (knock on wood!) zero problems of any kind, and everything has been working as it should.

Miscellaneous comments:
    - it took a little playing around to get the Homelink set up right with our garage door opener. The actual process was not quite like the manual. We trained the Homelink button to mimic an existing opener, but then had to also train the actual garage main motor unit to "recognize" the Homelink button. (Two step process, not quite like what the C70 owner's manual said.)
    - Sirius radio is very nice - I especially like being able to save 20 Sirius stations (10 presets x two bands).
    - We didn't really want the 18" wheels originally, but got them "for free", basically. I was a bit concerned about ride quality, but they seem to ride just fine, and I like the look of them just a bit more than the 17" wheels. We'll have to make sure that our tire pressures are kept up, to minimize any chance of rim damage. I also think that when the original P Zero Rosso's wear out, I'll probably put some all-season replacement tires on (perhaps Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S tires), to get better tread life.
    - power is plenty adequate for us
    - no sign of any problems with the top, and also no sign of rattling of the top, either up or down. I notice that there is a faint evidence of rubber bumper marks left on the bottom edge of the rear window glass, when the top gets put back up. This is very faint (more like a film), and wipes off, since it is on the glass part of the roof, (actually it is on the blacked-out lower edge of the glass, not the clear part, and I assume it is basically normal). No evidence of any marks left on either the painted part of the roof, or on the rear deck panel/cover.
    - no strange noises, warning lights, or other funny behavior.
    - related to reports of check engine lights coming on due to loose gas caps, we've had no problem so far, although it seems like the gas cap gets to its "clicking" tight position with pretty low turning force. Hopefully it is providing a good seal. I recall reading in the manual that the gas cap could be hung onto the fuel filler door, since it wasn't tethered. But our car has a tethered gas cap, that hangs off of the door, out away from the body (so no dripping on the paint).
    - we have noticed the fairly rapid build-up of brake pad dust, similar to what most European cars do - it seemed to be fairly equal between the front and rear brakes.
    - it took me a little while to get used to the narrow spacing between the brake pedal and gas pedal, but I am now "trained", and it isn't a problem (despite my US 13D feet)

Things not yet tried out:
    - Haven't had my iPod connected yet - for that matter I haven't inserted any CDs yet (just FM and Sirius so far).
    - Haven't played around with any of the various "user settings" on things like climate control defaults, etc.
    - Haven't tested the alarm system, nor the "top down" double-locking mode.
    - Haven't checked out the rain-sensing wipers yet, since the car hasn't been rained on yet. (For that matter, I don't know for sure if the top is water-tight...)

We may manage to make it all the way past the end of the Northern CA rainy season without letting the car get wet, so perhaps it will only see car wash water (and no rain) until next winter!

The car is mostly/nominally my wife's, but I usually drive if we are both in the car. Having this car is also leading to some degree of neglecting of my "toy" car (a 1959 Corvette). (It provides an interesting contrast to the C70, as a very "elemental" convertible with zero creature comforts.)

2007 C70 - Black with Calcite Cream, all options but Nav.
  • lemennlemenn Posts: 89
    Well I got the estimate forthe repair.

My dealership contacted first a dent doctor. The repair technician took pictures of the dent and told me he thought it would be doable because the paint was not really remoded.

Then he called me and said this was not possible because thedamage is on the edge of the aisle not in the middle of the sheet of metal.

The body shop quote came back and it is: $350

I am not sure I am ready to do it considering it can happen again few days after the car come back from repairs...
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    No State has a 3 day law regarding cars.
  • Volvomax's statement (above) is very interesting. Until I looked for myself at the California DMV web site, I would have sworn that there was some kind of 2 or 3 day "cooling off" period in California, at least for cars purchased from dealers, where the buyer could simply "undo" the sale. But in fact the CA DMV web site explicitly says that there is NO cooling off period, unless the buyer has explicitly obtained a contract cancellation clause within their contract. CA regulates how much a dealer can charge for such a cancellation clause, and also regulates the allowable "restocking" fees that can be charged if the car is returned. But unless you have this sort of clause in your purchase contract, the deal is final with the signatures. (This is only for California - I have no knowledge of what other states do. But CA is pretty consumer-friendly, in general.) Note that the above description of CA law may be fairly recent, as it is based on a Car Buying Bill of Rights law that passed in mid-2006. I can't rule out that there may have been a cooling off period under the previous law. (I also wouldn't rule out that the so-called "Bill of Rights" law passed in 2006 may actually have weakened buyers' rights, rather than stengthened them. Sometimes the names of laws and bills are misleading.)
    Yup, no state not even CA has such a law.
    People think they do of course.
    AZ is trying to get such a law passed, but it has no chance.

In the above case, the dealer went beyond what they should have, or what any other dealer would have in letting the customer return the car.
    I think this act should be appreciated more than it obviously was.
  • empty1empty1 Posts: 109
    Well I certainly put the c70 through the paces tonight. Going about 70 on a major three lane highway, a guy in the center lane came at me like a bat out of hell cutting me off. I swerved to the left hard to avoid a collision and then a hard right to avoid the center barrier. Although alot of sway, car saved me. If I was in my wife's SUV I would have tipped over and bye, bye. C70 held fairly tight and I escaped what could have been a cruel end. By the way you think the [non-permissible content removed] would have stopped to see if I was ok, but he simply drove on as I drove to the side to gain my composure. Think I just go my money's worth on my purchase. :)
  • jtregojtrego Posts: 68
    Wow, that sounds like my ride home the other night, only the big difference is that I was trying to push the car to the limit and you were just trying to survive. I too am impressed with this car's road presence. Its way cool and glad you came out alive.
  • The same here - good to know you are still in one piece and the car also.

Maybe that is why we've all chosen Volvo - safety first!
  • cuccicucci Posts: 49
    Erisman you've made me laugh!!!

For years and years, each time we came to buy a new car I would say to my other half 'what about buying a Volvo?' ..... 'no' came the reply always .... 'too boring!'

Suddenly the new C70 is launched and he says 'how about a volvo ... you've always liked their safety aspect!'

Ha!!!

Glad to hear the car came to the rescue so magnificently though!!
  • johnh7johnh7 Posts: 67
    It went a 2nd time. They replaced it the 1st time but there must be something that causes it the amp to "short out". Evidently the circuitry in the amp becomes "disconnected". If I shut the car off and let it sit for an hour the circuits reset and the amp works. But then it shuts down again at random times and without warning. So - it obviously has a flaw that needs to be addressed.

Is this a unique experience I'm having or are there others out there?
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    Since there's been a bit of discussion about this, I've made a topic for it so that new owners will be able to find it easily: Volvo C70 Homelink. You might notice that a few of the posts about this have already been moved there.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Has anyone decided they didn't like the amount of dust on the wheels, and buy the "kleen wheel" inserts? I've looked and haven't been able to find any listed on the various parts websites.
  • I don't know about preventing it with inserts. But as far as cleaning the dust, I've found that my stainless steel cleaner (a spray that I use for my stainless steel appliances in the kitchen) works really well. It is non-abrasive, actually oily. It wipes right off and shines. If this is not good for the wheels someone please let me know. It seems to work great for now.
    Don't do the inserts.
    They restrict cooling air to the brakes and over time can warp the rotors.
    Volvo rotors are very thin, so they can't be turned.
    Just wash your car once a week(you should anyway) and clean the wheels.
  • redbuzzredbuzz Posts: 57
    What is the name of the product you use to clean your wheels?
  • cricket4cricket4 Posts: 94
    It's called "Sprayway Stainless Steel Cleaner". I bought it at Sam's Wholesale. The container says it is oil based and cleans, polishes, preserves and protects without hard rubbing and polishing. Resists fingerprints (probably more important for fridges) and water spatter. The back of the can says it contains no acid or abrasive substances. Will not leave a powdery residue. No rubbing required. The first ingredient listed is white mineral oil. And best of all it contains no ozone depleting chemicals! It was so great on my appliances, I had to try my wheels and it worked.
  • jtregojtrego Posts: 68
    3,000 miles update. We are extremely pleased with this car. My wife uses it as a primary car to work every day and it is very practical, it doesn't need to be babied. Have now officially driven in snow, rain and wind with top up (great coupe) and with top down on both back roads and interstate highway with no complaints. Tonight we drove into the sunset and on the interstate going 70 for first time with the top down, but the side windows up, stereo cranked and the car is just as solid with the top down. We came home in the dark going 70 with top down and 62 outside, but warm in the "cockpit" with side windows up and heated seats on max. Really cool with the full moon and all. Just a fantastic experience.

the transmission (manual) continues to impress

volvomax, we wash the wheels once a week, but the spray wash doesn't cut it. My wife has diligently rubbed the wheels clean with a cloth every time.

We have the sprayaway products, both window cleaner and the stainless cleaner, but so far have only used the window cleaner on the windows ... and elbow grease on the wheels!

Volvo rules with this car. they really did a nice job and we get compliments all the time on how "beautiful" the car is. One person said they saw us driving in our BMW convertible! Hah!
  • I looked for the Sprayway Stainless Steel Cleaner at Sam's Club, and didn't find it. Is it an aerosol, or a spray? I'd like to give it a try if I can find it. I'm looking online but I'd like to know what exactly I'm looking for before I buy. Thanks for your help.
  • Actually, I just found it through my online search - at Sam's club. I guess I didn't have the right product links. Thanks anyway.
  • pittmcpittmc Posts: 1
    Picked up my Celestial Blue with off black leather last Tuesday and here has been my experience. First let me say I have been following this forum for 4 months since I initially placed my order.After reading a bunch of comments,mostly negative, I was really worried that I had chosen the wrong car.

Let me tell you--the car I picked was not only the right one it has exceeded my expectations after only a week.
    It drives like a dream, it has started every time (no battery drain), and the hard top has operated flawlessly.
    I ordered the navigation system (easy to operate),rear park assist, Sirrus radio and the leather package. The stereo system sounds great so no need for the Dynaudio and I steered away from the 18 inch wheels. For anyone that is worried about the brake pedal being too close to the gas, don't be. I have size 12's and have had no issues.
    This car is a head turner and I've had so many comments about how great it looks.
    Thanks to all who endured the earlier problems and cleared the way for the new owners.image :)
  • henkbwhenkbw Posts: 22
    Hi pittmc,

Congrats with your new car.
    I'm glad that, despite OUR problems, you still have chosen for the C70. I hope that you will stay out of troubles. But hey, you know, that if you want to be the first to drive a new model, you might encounter some problems. And obviously, a forum is the perfect spot to talk about it.
    For your peace of mind, my Volvo dealer has been able to solve every problem I had with my car (so far).
    I think that Volvo is smart enough to keep an eye on the forums on the Internet to see what comments the owners have on their cars. And of course, learn from it.
    So, our complaining has a reason: it improves the car ;)
    For now, my car is working fine. I cleaned and polished it: it looks spectacular and... the sun is shining. I'm gonna post this message, shutdown the computer and take my car for a drive in the countryside :shades:
    Enjoy your car and keep in touch once in a while (problems or not). :)

HenkBW
  • dmonizdmoniz Posts: 15
    Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing a 2001 C70 with 51,000 on it and listed for $18K. Is this a good price? What are some of the problems with this model that I should be aware of? I want a ragtop and have looked at used MB, JAG and Saab but really like the C70. This would be the 'fun' car for me so it wouldn't be used every day and just in the good weather.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you. Dave
  • dmoniz,

On the surface that seems high for a 2001, although it does have fairly low miles. I would get three reference points, if you haven't already:

- price out the car on www.edmunds.com (need to know the options it's equipped with)
    - do the same at www.kbb.com (I forget which one is usually lower)
    - look at the C70's for sale on ebay motors - there are probably 30-40 C70's for sale at any moment, almost all of them being the prior model that you are looking at. Of course, you don't know if they will sell, but looking at the buy-it-now prices, and/or completed auctions will give you another data point.

Other forums to check out, to get a sense of problem areas, would be:

www.volvoforums.com
    www.volvo-forums.com
    www.swedespeed.com
    www.volvospeed.com

The first three of these have sub-forums dedicated to C70's. The last one lumps them in with other FWD/AWD models.
    Price is a little high.
    If the car was perfect, it might retail for $16,000
  • blamb3blamb3 Posts: 41
    I haven't posted in awhile. Love my car and I remember much discussion on one of these threads about spare tire v.s. sealant. Well yesterday I was driving and one of my rear tires.....Michelon pilots...came apart at the seam....4700 miles. I've got the sealant/inflation system....obviously of no use in this case.....what I didn't realize...my own stupidity...was that the cars with the sealant system aren't even provided with a jack....this is a really poorly thought out system by Volvo......GET THE XTRA TIRE.
  • redbuzzredbuzz Posts: 57
    The first 2 times we placed a deposit on a C70, we "ordered" the spare tire. Neither of those deposits ended up with us getting a car. The third time we placed a deposit, I thought that we had opted for the spare, but when we took delivery in Sweden, our car had the pump & goop. When I talked with our dealer back in the states, he ordered the spare for us, no charge. Then he realized that we would need the jack too, and ordered that, no charge. He let us keep the pump & goop too, no charge. Now if I ever get a flat, what should I use?
  • snowfishsnowfish Posts: 3
    Picked up my 2007 Magic Blue C70 T5 with Offblack interior on Thursday. It's great so far (with about 110 miles on it), but I have a couple of questions / concerns:

1) There's a high pitched whistling sound coming from BOTH of the sideview mirrors with the top up or down above about 35 MPH. If you flip in the mirrors it goes away. Has anyone else had this problem, and what's the solution?

2)When lowering the top, it sometimes seems like it's sticking a little when the front section starts to raise up -- it makes a little "pop" sound. Plus, I detected a slight burning odor the first couple of times I lowered the top. Is this normal??

Thanks!!

Regards,
    SnowFish
  • henkbwhenkbw Posts: 22
    Hi Snowfish,

Congrats with your new car. Hope you're gonna love it.
    About your questions:

1) Except for the "standard" wind rustle, I cannot hear anything whistling. Sorry, can't help you with that.

2) When does the "popping" sound appear: At the moment that the roof lifts, or just before that?
    In the first case it might be that the rubbers are sticking and needs lubrication (job for you dealer).
    In the second case it might be the clamps (front roof-part to windscreen) that are releasing. This also makes a noise.
    I have my C70 for more than 13,000 mls now, went through some troubles regarding the roof, but I never had a burning smell. You might contact your dealer for this also.
    BTW, the troubles where all solved ;)

Regards,
    HenkBW
  • rschleicherrschleicher Posts: 79
    I also sometimes hear a little sound like a "popping" at the moment of release of the front edge of the top from the windshield frame. As the above poster stated, this might be due to a little sticking of the seal material, if the roof has been in place for a while. The seal material at the top edge of the windshield frame doesn't seem like rubber to me, but some form of a synthetic that is a bit harder than rubber. It doesn't appear to be lubricated, but perhaps it is. I've noticed some dust build-up on this front seal, and have just tried to keep it clean.

In terms of a burning smell, my guess is that your car is so new that there are still burning smells coming from the engine compartment, that you notice when putting the roof down. I would think you would also smell them after parking your car in an indoors garage. This is due to things like thin grease coatings on engine parts that burn off in the first weeks of use, etc. I noticed this burning small on my car for the first 200-300 miles or so. Of course it may be something more serious in your case, but you might want to give it a little while before worrying too much (as long as you don't see signs of an oil leak, or something like that).
  • snowfishsnowfish Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies!

I'll give it some time to see if the roof is having any trouble. I don't get any warning messages, and it seems to operate normally, other than the "pop". It sounds like the pop may be coming from the seal between the front panel and the 2nd panel. Maybe it's just a little sticky after sitting on a ship for a few weeks. If the roof mechanism was overheating, there should be a message on the dash according to the manual.

Still haven't figured out the whistling mirrors, but I did find a post regarding an S40 with a similar problem -- I think it said the dealer plugged up the drain holes, but that doesn't sound like a good idea...

Regards,
    SnowFish