Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Impala "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" message

Comments

• rpeckiorpeckio Posts: 3
    I have read the comments here and this problem has occurred with my 2010 Impala multiple times as well. Four times I have had it at the mechanic within one month. First I had the wheel bearing fixed. Then I had the gas pedal cleaned where the throttle position sensor is. Then I replaced the throttle body. GM dealer says none of this is covered under powertrain. I am having this brought back to a GM mechanic for the fourth time. The problem continues. If this is not a small fix at this point, I am through. I would rather pay the loan off than continue to dump money in to an unreliable vehicle. I am through buying American cars. Chevy should be ashamed of themselves.
  • bowanabowana Posts: 9
    I hear what you are saying and also feel your pain as I also had the gas pedal issue on my 08 with 120,000k on it. Had it repaired and have not had any issues since except the broken wire on the consol shifter that I repaired myself.

Just keep in mind that virtually all new vehicles use a drive by wire throttle and if you run a Google search you will see lots of these same issues with the Honda's and Toyota's as well. For 5 to 10,000 less money you can buy a spare Impala and be money ahead in the long run. I have 180k on my 08 now and it runs just fine and with that many K's they won't give me anything for it on trade so I am going to drive it. I do most of my own work and that saves the bulk of the repair bill but if you have to see a dealer each and every time I certainly can see where you are coming from.

I live in Canada and our parts are almost double what you pay in the US so I shop around for the big stuff and order some parts on line when needed.

Good luck and don't give up, I say!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003
    rpeckio,

I am sorry you are having this concern. I would like to look further into your concerns with your 2010 Impala. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com ATTN Erica. Be sure to include your name, VIN, address, mileage, phone number, and the name of your GM dealership. I look forward to hearing from you.

Erica Tiffany
    GM Customer Care
  • koorskoors Posts: 1
    If GM had any sense, they'd immediately recall all the 08-10 3.5L engines... Like clockwork, between 80-120k miles (mine is at 90k) they breakdown. A NEAR gaurantee, our mechanic informed us that the 3.5L engine is the engine he sees the most.

The issue seems to be at the injector valve stems. Because of GM's stupidity in attempting to get higher miles per gallon, they run the engine extremely lean. This causes a build-up of Carbon in the top of the engine which restricts power and ultimately eats away at the valves, and causes the vehicle to breakdown.

Another potential side-effect, the more serious one that occured with my car, is the crankcase locks up completely. This actually happened while i was driving on the interstate, nearly causing a wreck, thankfully I was able to get over without being hit or hitting somone. I have to go back to school within the week, and I don't have a car to drive, and sadly, my warranty is out.

Oh, and to give a little bit more info, I was cruising at 75 mph, barely keeping up with traffic. I feel a rumble go across the entire car, and notice my speed start to drop. I give the car a bit more acceleration, but when i press the gas pedal, nothing. I look down at my Tachometer and see 0. So, in ~75 mph traffic i navigate to the side of the road, nearly getting hit by several cars.

This would have never happened if GM would have properly designed their 3.5L flexfuel engine.
    Hi koors,

We understand your frustration and value your feedback. We're sorry if you are having issues with your engine at this time. If you would like for us to address any of your concerns, or try to answer any of your questions please let us know.

Sincerely

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • Service Stabilitrac, Service Traction Control and Engine Power loss shows up on me too. This has really diminished my opinion of Chevy Vehicles. I cannot Imagine the timing of these parts dying off immediately after manufacturer warranty has ended is a coincidence. This has ruined my family vacation and made my life immensely more difficult. Its a sunday and now its not safe for me to drive my own vehicle with my family in it! :surprise: :mad: :cry:

This is disgusting!
  • Received "Reduction in power" message on the highway while on vacation with family in MI. I was able to pull off of roadway without any incident with other traffic. Message cleared after shutting off vehicle but engine light remained on. This happened twice. I just had the APPS replaced for $358.00. This car has 40,000 miles on it. It would appear GM has a safety issue here and needs to address it. GM reps "concern" on this forum appears to be typical corporate nonsense.
  • OMG! I'm so glad you and your family are okay. Something definitely needs to be done about this issue. I'm glad you were able to get a new APPS. When I took my car to the dealership for them to look at it; no error message appeared; no code came up for them to officially diagnose the problem. It's been a month or so and so far it hasn't happened again. Still scarey because you never know when it may show up.
  • My first indication was a very slight hesitation which I could not determine if it was the car or maybe a headwind. It appeared to be fine in city driving and engine light shut off until on the way home when it lost power again. I filed a complaint with the NTSB as well as GM. Although the part has been replaced I wonder what the lifespan will be and now I will worry EVERY time driving at highway speeds. ,
    Hello,

We're pleased to hear that you were able to get this problem corrected. Generally, the parts warranty covers 12 months/ 12,000 miles. If you have any concerns related to warranty, or need assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    Hello,

We're pleased to hear that you were able to get this problem corrected. Generally, the parts warranty covers 12 months/ 12,000 miles. If you have any concerns related to warranty, or need assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • Hello everyone...I can see from the posts that I am not alone. For the past year I have been pouring money into my low mile 2005 Suburban. Ive replaced the throttle body, wiring harness, cleaned all grounds, and a few throttle positioning sensors. The "Reduced Engine Power" will not go away. The codes have changed over time, but now it is stuck on the throttle positioning sensor even after I have replaced it a few times. This is my 3rd Suburban. The other 2 were great, but our main family car is sitting unusable. Can anyone help me figure this out.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Morgantown, WV
  • laserbluelaserblue Posts: 313
    It's been 18 days that I went to my dealer to do a oil/lube/filter change and just noticed that there are spots of oil at different places up front (I always back up in my driveway) and also at the back. The rear bumper looks like smeared at one sot with oil. I past my hand underneath, inside the plastic rear bumper and can touch oily stuff.
    It must have something to do with the oil change because before that everything was oil...I when for a regular oil change and now I have oil spots on my pavement in the front and back on my HHR.
    Reminder...I always back up in my driveway and I'm the only car who parks there.
    If only I would have oil leaks in the front but...also at the rear? Weird.
    Hello,

I am sorry you are experiencing an oil leaking issue. Are you thinking about going back to the dealership to check out this concern? Let us know if you would like assistance throughout this process. We can be reached via Email at socialmedia(at)gm.com.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    GM Customer Care
  • I'm new here so please forgive me if I post this in the wrong place. Just wondering if someone could shed some light on the engine power reduced error. Had to have my van towed to the local dealership where I live. Van is pretty much useless right now, will not even start. I wont hear from them until tomorrow after they find out what the problem is. Anyone have any ideas why some Chevrolet's are having this problem? What could it be? After reading several comments about this error has got me worried. I hope they can find a quick fix and a long term fix. My van has 19,000 on it and its only a 2011. I can't believe I'm having this problem. Wondering if Chevrolet will issue any type of recall for this error? Thank God my van is still under warranty. Once again sorry if I post this in the wrong place. :mad:
  • We bought this 2011 Impala last year because our last car was nickel and diming us to death...now it looks like our fairly new Impala is going to do the same thing. Our car doesn't even have to be moving and the stablitrak light comes on, and reduce engine power comes over the message board. Then when I go to accelerate there is big clunk and the car feels like it is being pulled back. After reading through this forum and other forums online I see this has been a problem for years, yet GM continues to put the same broken down parts in there Impalas year after year. Somebody please explain this to me. I also have been told that this is not under the warranty, which makes no sense to me. If the engine is being affected, then it should be under warranty. This is not right!
  • I have had my 2009 Impala SS (only 38500 miles currently) at the dealership 5 times already. (3) for service stabilitrak and (2) for an evap problem. The first two times for the stabilitrak, they found a fouled spark plug. The first time, they cleaned it up and moved it from cyl. 5 to cyl. 1. I don't understand why they swapped it but, they did. 3 months later, I dropped a cylinder again and this time it was cylinder 1. They replaced the spark plug and everything was fine until this past week, I had the service stabilitrak message again. My computer was throwing the evap canister code but not the service stabilitrak. The dealership ended up replaing the vent solenoid and the harness. That took care of the evap problem but now, the car is running sluggish again; like there is a misfire in one of the cylinders. I guarantee that I will be dropping another cylinder again fairly soon. So, I am pretty sure that I will be back at the dealership again. On top of all of this, I am going through oil at a high pace...like 1 qt for every 1k miles. I am starting to think that I am going to break my 18 year streak with GM and go import!
  • As i can see from all these complaints and the ones i see when i report a complaint of nhtsa I'm not alone in my reduced engine power message. I have had it with this car! I have a 2009 Impala LT3 and its been nothing but issues for me! Within the first month of owning it the thermostat went bad, but it was still under warranty so the repair was free and my Chevy Dealership did a great job.. Now to the issue at hand, my Impala turns itself off!! Its happened to me on the highway doing 70, on single lane roads almost hitting other cars, down busy streets, in the middle of intersections with my family in the car!!! Being that i have to commute to work and have to drive all around Indiana my mileage is past warranty. Based on how many others have had this issue i find it insane to further drain my account past negative to attempt to fix a fault part that GM has to be aware of!! I have no way to afford this being in my current situation so my Impala is a death trap since i have to commute on the highway to get to work and it dies at random times. GM could careless about our safety they just care about our money. I've given GM over $60,000 on my past 3 cars and this will be my last dime spent to them! To those experiencing this issue too and not aware what is causing it, allow me to share. The issue we are seeing is due to a PCM failure caused by either a voltage spike creating a hairline crack on the computer, or its just a OEM fault from ACDelco. Either way it is a factory installed item that creates false OBD codes such as tighten gas cap or Evap Canister Leak. The only way GM will repair this is if a death is recorded and on their hands! I can't take it to a dealership because im past warranty and I cant pay out of pocket so thanks alot GM for ruining my life!!
  • 2008 impala ss with stabilizer error what does this mean. I was driving on Friday stopped, the key would not turn to off, took it to a local shop, they couldn't get the key to turn totally off told me to drive it home disconnect battery so it wouldn't run down, on way home car started spitting and spuddering lost all power to the car and the cock pit filled up with smoke.....help me please is my car totally gone??
  • I just bought a 2009 chevy impala and within a week service stabilitrack light came on, not covered over warranty they told me and it cost me $350.00 to fix. They replaced one wire connected to computer system. 4 weeks later, the light is on again and service stabilitrack message. I have seen hundreds of other posts with people with same problem. This needs to be a recall.