Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Liberty

Comments

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    and just about everywhere else other than North America. Here's a link to a UK road test:

http://edmunds.yellowbrix.com/pages/edmunds/Story.nsp?story_id=23141803&ID=edmunds&scategory=Auto&

Bob

• Options
    promikepromike Member Posts: 35
    A Cincinnati, Ohio dealer ran an ad Saturday offering to sell any in stock Liberty for $500 under invoice.
  • Options
    winbrowinbro Member Posts: 235
    for those that had water coming in the passenger floor area, did the dealer ever find the source? there was speculation about the a/c condenser line causing this?

today when I made a trip to the store, when I came out I saw a pool of water under the liberty (I checked). I was not upset or surprised by this but I did take note of where the water was. It was exactly under the front passenger floor area. It got me thinking that if the drain line was blocked somehow the water might go inside on the rug. - just an observation
  • Options
    babsjbabsj Member Posts: 9
    I'm waiting a little longer to consider a purchase. My 99 Cherokee LTD has been trouble free, and to replicate all the features on a Lib gets rather expensive! Plus the fact that ABS is not standard, safety/reliability info is in progress, ordering delays...

I drove a Lib and was impressed with handling and interior room (feels bigger than it looks!) but I just can't make the price work. Dealers here in the Dallas,TX area are rather snooty about the vehicle, claiming they don't have to negotiate 'cuz it's so high demand. Maybe that's true but I'm turned off for now.

Good luck to all the Lib owners, and keep those comments coming! Your chat is very helpful to those of us considering a purchase of the Lib.
  • Options
    bjurickbjurick Member Posts: 15
    I bought my Liberty Limited at Bankston Jeep in Frisco, TX and got what I think was a good deal. I paid $50 over (Edmunds) invoice. No haggle. Talked to Thomas and Johnny in the Internet Sales Dept. Hooked up with them through MSN Carpoint. Mine is Silver Limited 4x4, ABS, 27G, side air bags, off road, trailer tow. Would have liked to get sunroof and heated seats but couldn't find one with everything. I have about 1850 miles on it and have had it for about a month. No problems, no issues, drives great. Handles great on and off road. Although I have not been very tough on it off road. Costs too much to beat it up too much. I couldn't be happier!! You can probably get a comparable equipped 2001 JGC for a lower price. There are lots of discounts out there. We already have 2000 JGC and I really wanted a Liberty. Good luck.
  • Options
    dsoulliedsoullie Member Posts: 3
    Is it all you thought it would be?
    I called the dealer and he said I am at 'F' which I understand to be Paint Shop.

The estimated ship date is Sep 12.
    Have you found any of the problems discussed, such as Water on Pass. side floor, or the jerking while approaching a stop, or alignment issues?

Dustin
  • Options
    drmoddrmod Member Posts: 11
    Picked up my Lib on Friday and have been thrilled with everything about it so far. Haven't noticed a single problem - and I've been looking especially for any "pulling" sensation but there isn't any. Today it rained here in Pittsburgh so I'll see if there is any water leakage inside. It's so much fun to drive that I've been inventing reasons to go for a drive and volunteering to run errands for my wife just so I can drive it! At this moment I couldn't be happier with it and will give updates as I put more miles on it.

Doc
  • Options
    dzanone1dzanone1 Member Posts: 8
    Have had my liberty sport for three weeks with 1k on it. Pulled to the right but the dealer fixed the problem. The sun roof is fabulous. Standard equipment otherwise. Fit finish have been great. I had a 99 cherokee and think this is a much more comfortable vehicle. Would like to hear any off road handling stories as I have not tried this yet.
  • Options
    basepro09basepro09 Member Posts: 91
    I remember a long time ago someone mentioned that the rear flipper glass, when opened, let off water into the back of the Lib. has anyone found this to be true? I'm not sure what the outcome was earlier in the posts.

Matt
  • Options
    rmk17rmk17 Member Posts: 16
    Just got off the phone with DC customer service and I now have a Ship Date of September 24th!!!! The last time I called about two weeks ago they told me my Liberty was on hold for ABS until Sept. 9th. Kind of wierd how fortunes can turn so quickly!:) Anyway, I ordered on August 13th, so it looks like my wait should be about 8 weeks give or take. Can't wait for my Patriot Blue baby to arrive!
  • Options
    kdeucekdeuce Member Posts: 4
    I took my new liberty back to the dealer to "fix"
    the water leak problem (passenger side floor). They "left it out in the rain overnight", "ran a hose over it", and amazingly no water on the floor. My husband swears that they unclogged the ac drain or something like that, even though they
    just said it didn't flood for them! I have since washed the car twice, and driven in plenty of rain, and the floor is dry. So it's still a mystery but I'm glad it hasn't reoccurred!
  • Options
    winbrowinbro Member Posts: 235
    i'd be willing to bet it was clogged - read my post #1711
  • Options
    I picked up the current issue of CAR, the UK auto magazine. In it they had an article on the new Cherokee. Some interesting tidbits:

• The one they tested was a Sport with the 2.5L common-rail diesel, equipped with a 5-speed. This the engine they feel will be the most popular in the UK. They thought that the gear shift was rather stiff.

• They also drove a 3.7L with Selec Trac. I got the impression, from the way it was worded, that Selec Trac might be standard with all automatics over there, although I can't confirm that. Their comment about the V6 was that it didn't like to rev much, and seemed a bit crude (typical UK auto journalists snide comments).

• The Europeans also get a hard cover for the spare tire, with a spot for the rear license plate. As we all know, North American Libertys have the rear license plate tucked away down on the left side of the rear bumper. Clearly there is not enough room there for the odd-sized European tags.

Finally: My prayers to all those affected by today's terrorist's bombings.

Bob
  • Options
    jeff1956jeff1956 Member Posts: 1
    I called the DC consumer line posted on this forum to check the status of a Liberty I have on order. I was told it was released but not shipped on its scheduled Setember 8 date because it was "in quality." They assured me this did not mean that there was a problem with the car. "In quality," they explained, refers to vehicles that are randomly picked and rechecked for problems. Can anyone verify that this is true? It sounds reasonable, but I can't shake this feeling that they're hiding something from me. Thanks.
  • Options
    fk1013fk1013 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone find the seats to be uncomfortable...i'm looking to buy a liberty sport and i will be taking long trips (3-8 hours) trips periodically. i noticed the seats to be firm when i test drove one. How do they hold up on long trips?
  • Options
    skinnypooskinnypoo Member Posts: 20
    The liberty's seats are horrible...thats the only thing wrong with this truck.

the seats are simply to short...they need to increase the length of the seat that is under your thighs. Iam 5' 11" 160 pounds....average.

the limited's seats feel better than the sport's...because you can adjust them a lot more than the sport model's seats.

ps - the dead pedal and space for your feet (driver) could be better....great truck even though. :)
  • Options
    I would like to see bigger side and bottom bolsters, to better hold you in place while cornering.

Bob
  • Options
    are comfortable for me but I am a woman, 5''7'' I have the sport. and have taken it on fairly long trips. The are stiff but not "boney" I test drove the limited and thought the leather had a nice feel but am happy with the sport. Need a seat based on your size so check out several different makes and models if you will be taking it on long trips. dz
  • Options
    skinnypooskinnypoo Member Posts: 20
    Dzanone1, yeah...just what i figured...the truck was designed with smaller people in mind...and women are generally smaller than men.

yes, i said it...it was designed to appeal to women first.
    i dont have a problem with that...its an awesome truck.

:)

ps - iam male.
  • Options
    sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    Is it available with a bench seat?

I miss the good old fashioned double bench seat which allows for maximum "rear end adjustment".

Anyone else agree?
  • Options
  • Options
    rvbrokerrvbroker Member Posts: 22
    We have over 2000 miles on our Liberty and have made one 8 hr trip so far. We find the seats to be firm but very comfortable as they provide the support needed for a long trip. Didn't care for the seats in the Sport and therefore bought a Limited with the leather seats. BTW....I am 6' 0" and 170 lbs....male.
  • Options
    seeingwhiteseeingwhite Member Posts: 4
    I just order a Limited with the cloth seats. As much as I LOVE leather, I test drove one with Leather and thought they were a bit stiff and slippery. I sat in a sport and was really surprised how stiff the seats felt, but it could have just been because they were new. Overall, I thought the limited cloth seats were extremely comfortable -- I was impressed.

For whats its worth... ;-)
  • Options
    bagldotbagldot Member Posts: 9
    Living in northern NJ and considering the horrific events this week, I would just like to say that I am very proud to be driving a vehicle with the name Liberty. In some small way just knowing that gives me some comfort as I spend most of my working day on the road in this vehicle. I think I'm going to see if I can order a spare tire cover with an American Flag on it. If anyone knows where to look for one, please comment.
  • Options
    It's hot in the summer, and cold in the winter, as well as being slippery—just like vinyl. Give me cloth any day of the week.

Bob
  • Options
    lindag47lindag47 Member Posts: 18
    I want to purchase a Liberty but just wanted to know how they handle when towing? I have a 3,000 pound boat to tow. How will it handle and how does it affect the gas mileage? Thanks.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We report a maximum towing capacity of 5,000 pounds. Others should be able to comment on the handling, mileage and other things to consider with a towing rig.

link

(Pick your model and drill down to the Specs tab).

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    n40n40 Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone ordered the Jeep Liberty Seat Covers? They seem expensive ($276-$292ish). My cloth seats do seem to pick up lint type fibers. Nothing a good lint roller won't pick up. Wondering if the seat covers would not only protect the seats but be comfortable, as well?

n40
  • Options
    basepro09basepro09 Member Posts: 91
    Are the cloth seats for the limited and sport different? I found the leather to be more comfortable, but don't like the idea of it burning my skin or being freezing cold. I agree that the seats could stand to be a little bit longer on the bottom. But i don't think that's going to stop me from getting it.

I also wanted to get the seat covers for my lib. is the price good? They said they're water proof, right? I'm getting them so my son doesn't make a mess of my new seats. I just hope they go with the rest of the interior.

Does anyone on this board live in so. cal. and own a white limited? The reason I ask is because I see one everyday when I go to work.

matt
  • Options
    Sport and Limited have slightly different seats. Besides a different cloth material, the shape I think is a little different. Also, all Limiteds (cloth and leather) get map pockets on the front seat backs. Map pockets are unavailable on Sport models. Finally, only the top-of-the-line, leather-equipped Limited G model can get optional heated seats—which is just plain DUMB. Heated seats should be available across the board.

Bob
  • Options
    montsuemontsue Member Posts: 6
    I have been using my Liberty to tow a 2500 lb boat and it handles it very well. I previously had a '95 Jeep GC with a V8 and the Liberty seems to pull it easier(although the GC did have very high mileage on it). Handling and braking with the Liberty were again equal to or better than the GC. Gas mileage will of course be lower when towing. I can only estimate that my Liberty has gotten 10-12 mpg when towing, typically a 10 mile trip in city type traffic. Overall, I am very pleased with the Liberty handling while towing.
  • Options
    I've seen two Liberty Sports on a dealer's lot with ABS.

Bob
  • Options
    redbarettaredbaretta Member Posts: 22
    Can people please share the lease deals they are getting. I am considering an almost fully loaded Sport V6 4WD (msrp $25,520) and got a lease price of $389 a month for 36 months with 12K miles a year. Tax was included. They are hitting me up for a $700 bank fee for a Gold Key lease. The only incentive is $400 because I'm in grad school. I checked with 4 dealers in my area and those numbers couldn't be beat. What are other people getting?
  • Options
    ryagryag Member Posts: 6
    The sticker price on limited with abs sunroof tow package cd changer is 28,540 minus 625 for customer preferred discount comes to 27,915. Said he would give it to me for 27,200. Is this an OK deal? thank you. Ron
  • Options
    petersburg100petersburg100 Member Posts: 29
    No, it is not an OK deal. You should pay, at maximum, the invoice or below. Go to edmunds/new/customized pricing to determine your invoice price. The best deals I've seen are $1.000 below invoice.
  • Options
    rkh207rkh207 Member Posts: 7
    Sorry for the most likely stupid questions but...any rumors on changes for next year? And, will the 2003's be released in May-ish or will they shift the release back towards the more "typical" fall release schedules?
    Thanks
  • Options
    iggycatiggycat Member Posts: 25
    Petersburg 100, where have you heard of anyone getting a Liberty for $1,000 below invoice? Did you mean $1,000 below sticker?

As you probably know, the Liberty has a 3% holdback, (which is what the dealer gets from DaimlerChrysler as profit and/or reimbursement for the cost of holding the vehicle in inventory).

For example: The deal for my Liberty Limited 27G with every option except the block heater (on a train coming to me now!) is $100 over invoice. My Liberty's sticker is $28,745, including dest and taking into account the $625 "preferred customer" discount on the package. The dealer's invoice on my order confirmation form, including advertising fees (they really won't deal on this very much) is $27,150. At $100 over invoice, my price is $27,250, which is $1,495 below sticker.

The dealer will get his holdback of $862.35 ($28,745 (MSRP) x 3%) by selling the Liberty to me. If a dealer sold me this vehicle for $1,000 below invoice and collected his holdback from DC, he would still lose about $137.65 on the deal. That's never gonna happen - the dealer has to make a reasonable profit. As it stands, I figure my dealer is making just under $1,000 on the vehicle (or about 3.66% of the deal), which isn't bad for him, considering that he ordered it for me and it will never sit in inventory on his lot racking up interest expense at the bank. Remember, the dealer still has to pay overhead out of his $1,000 profit from my deal.

Buying a Liberty for $1,000 below sticker is fairly likely, but $1,000 below invoice is not.

-Todd
  • Options
    Ryag, does the Liberty you mention also have any options besides ABS, Sunroof, CD Changer, Trailer Tow group? I couldn't get what you listed to add up to $28,540 before the $625 discount. Did that also include destination? With that info, I could be a bit more accurate. As close as I can figure, the invoice price of the vehicle would be approximately $26,000 including destination, but not ad fees.

You should be looking to pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $26,500, assuming you get the dealer to $100 over invoice, and the advertising fees are about the same as on my deal in NoCal (and whether or not they will deal on them), etc.

So, if the dealer is selling to you for $27,200, that's not a horrible deal, but you could probably save another $700 or so depending on where you live and whether or not you can get the dealer closer to invoice.

Good luck!

-Todd
  • Options
    ryagryag Member Posts: 6
    I'm going to have to write everything down--I keep thinking I'm to remember but when I get home I forget. It was pretty loaded, except for side curtain air bags. They had two exactly the same except one was P-blue and the other was grey. I got kind of nervous because sometimes if I like something that I've been looking for I'll buy it-without knowing if I paid too much. What held me back this time was I could not decide on the color.The grey one looked bigger, the blue one was nice but a lot of detail looked lost.I'm not loaded but I hate to haggle price-for a couple of hundred dollars for me it is not worth it- but for 700 and up I feel jipped. Thank you again.
  • Options
    If history is any judge, the '03 models will be released in late August, and with minimal, if any changes. Maybe a tweak here an there, but that's about it.

Bob
  • Options
    redbarettaredbaretta Member Posts: 22
    Is there anyone reading this board who leased and what kind of a deal did you get (my specs are in post #1741)
  • Options
    ericbwayericbway Member Posts: 19
    I have a dealer, so far on the phone, willing to make a deal for invoice +200, but will not say what the advertising costs are. I am supposed to see the truck tomorrow. Does anyone have an idea what the costs are approximately in the New York area? I appreciate any help.
  • Options
    lilshuglilshug Member Posts: 12
    I live on Long Island and went through 3 dealerships trying to get my Liberty...none of them figured advertising cost into the final cost. Just tax, registration fee, and inspection.
  • Options
    petersburg100petersburg100 Member Posts: 29
    Several DC dealers are selling Libertys below invoice (such as Fitzgerald, see fitzmall.com). One of them advertised that they sell Libertys for the best price in the region less $1.000. My estimate is very conservative. I think you can do even better than $1.000 below invoice (NOT sticker).
  • Options
    yes I am sure that the car was designed for with women in mind. We find it very comfortable. Who's getting 1000 under invoice? I should have waited two months to buy but I just couldn't wait... What are the seat covers like? Might be interested to protect my seats from wear and tear. Cat hair does tend to stick and I would imagine dog hair too for the guys out there. dz
  • Options
    Petersburg100, I checked out fitzmall.com as you suggested. Sure enough, they appear to be pricing some Libertys below invoice. However, I couldn't find any listed at $1,000 under invoice. Most of the listings on their "internet" price appear to be about $250 below invoice. The biggest discount I saw was about $700 under invoice.

However, I noticed one interesting thing - they only appear to be selling the Liberty Sport under invoice. Limiteds are priced higher than invoice.

This makes me wonder what the build ratio is like between Sport and Limited? I was on a Jeep dealer's lot in NoCal yesterday, and they had about a dozen Liberty Sports and only two Limiteds on the lot. Is demand for the Limited that much higher, or are they just building a lot more Sports than Limiteds?

How about demand? I know a lot of folks on the board have Limiteds, but I hear a lot of people with Sports too. What is everyone buying?
  • Options
    lilshuglilshug Member Posts: 12
    I have a Limited and was able to haggle to about $600 under msrp and I live in the NY area. I have noticed more sports that limited's on the lots. They seem fairly accessible. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it also seemed to me that most people that had to order and had waiting issues also wanted Limiteds....
  • Options
    norwegianbluenorwegianblue Member Posts: 3
    Just ordered a Limited with all the options at invoice price. I live in Nebraska and shopped three dealers in the Lincoln/Omaha area. Two would order it for invoice and one for $100 over invoice. No word on delivery (actually the dealer places the order tomorrow) but I expect at least 8-10 weeks minimum.
  • Options
    Yeah, my Liberty is a Limited, and by the time it gets off the train in a week or so, the order time will have been about 11 weeks. If you want all the options, you've got to wait.

Finding a loaded Liberty Limited on the lot is just about impossible. I am suprised how many of the few Limiteds on dealer lots are without the 27G package, etc. Maybe the loaded ones just sell faster and don't sit on the lot.
  • Options
    rvbrokerrvbroker Member Posts: 22
    In the Mid Atlantic region, the Limiteds are real scarce. We had to make a 800 mile round trip to find a loaded Limited in Woodland Brown. Wife would not settle for any other color so...... North Point Jeep in Winston-Salem, NC had a great selection and I paid $250 over invoice.

I have always found that it only cost a quarter more to go first class and if you get what you REALLY want, you will tend to be happier with your decission much longer. MHO