Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    teachrgalteachrgal Member Posts: 7
    HL Hybrid Limited 4x4 w/ 3rd row, VP #3 and nav price according to Consumer Reports new car buying kit (which I paid $39 for so I wouldn't get ripped off at the dealer):

Consumer Reports Bottom Line Price
    What the dealer paid for this car. 36,248

Invoice
    Dealer invoice price. 36,979

MSRP
    Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. 41,295

Dealer Holdback 731

I personally would push for 37,800-37,900, in fact, email a few dealers with the 37,900 price and ask them to match it. Thats how I got over 4,000 off msrp for mine...I pit about 8 dealers against each other and the lowest price won!
    By the way, dealer handling is definately negotiable, its just their way of making you pay for having the car take up precious space on their lot.
  • Options
    terry921terry921 Member Posts: 3
    Many thanks!!

Your response was absolutely perfect!
    Thanks for sharing the benefit of your experience.
    I have 4 dealers currently bidding and one of them just called and dropped the price to $37,500.

I will let them know they have a deal if they decrease their dealer handling to $0.....but would be willing to pay $99.

Thanks again,

Terry
  • Options
    toyotagaltoyotagal Member Posts: 215
    I did the same thing Teach Gal, i.e. CR Buying Kit. You will love the story I got when getting into the "Dealer Holdback". The Dealer told me that the Dealer Holdback in general is fiction since the Dealer does not own the vehicles, Bank of America does and they have to pay interest to B of A. Which is not uncommon with dealers.

And they noted that cars sit on the lots for a period of time which costs money. I tried to put that to bed by noting my new Highlander would not be sitting on the lot since I was getting it almost as it came in off the Boat. But he responded by saying that they had to look at average costs not just the cost of my vehicle.................................LOL

In any case, I had absolutely no luck in my area in regards to the Dealer Holdback. But getting wheels close to invoice is a good deal in any case.
  • Options
    I have noticed at a number of sites on the Internet that the $1,500 rebate ends on April 2nd. Does anyone know what the rebate, if any, will be after that date?
  • Options
    My dealer told me that they didn't anticipate any rebates or apr specials until summer...but he may have told me this to urge me to jump on the purchase.
  • Options
    We can hear almost anything from Dealers I have learned. From what I am hearing they expect the Rebate to continue but they won't know for sure until April 2nd.

Maybe with a little luck the rebate will even increase? (they didn't say that)

However, my astute feeling is that it can go up, go down or stay the same...Depending primarily on how many 07 Highlanders are still on the lots. Is that a profound thought or what?

Toyota can sure keep a lid on things, much better than the Government can.
  • Options
    aronbritaronbrit Member Posts: 1
    The rebate is actually a federal tax credit for 2007, which is $1300 thru the end of this month. Then it drops to $650 for the next quarter. Then it disappears. We bought ours this month with the credit in mind.
  • Options
    gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    aronbrit - there are current cash rebate or APR incentives on non-hybrid HLs. The Hybrids have an APR incentive plus the fed tax credit you mention. As the new '08 HL model comes out, there may be more financial inventives. However, the vehicle selection will also decline.
  • Options
    dave_h2dave_h2 Member Posts: 100
    I'll soon be coming off a lease and am considering an '07 Highlander. I took one out for a test drive yesterday, and thought the ride and interior comforts and functions were quite good. I was a little concerned about the slightly limited headroom, however. I am tall, but not *real tall* (at just 6 feet).

I'm also looking at the Hyundai Santa Fe.

As I'm moving over from a Minivan ('03 MPV ES), my biggest worry is the loss of storage space in the back. Have other Highlander owners made this transition, and if so, were you able to adjust?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
  • Options
    We had mini-vans from 1988 until out first HL in 2001. Yes, the storage space is different, but we don't regret our move. You're the only that can answer wether you need the additional space or not. Consider what you normally haul in the MPV. Also, do a vehicle comparison for interior specs between the two at edmunds.com

We're on our 3rd HL! I to am 6' and prefer the non-moon/sun roof HL over one equipped with it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the thoughts, gasman1.

Yeah, we're making the transition from really small kids (and all the stuff they need) to mid-sized kids (ages 10 and 12 - and they'll be 13-15 and 15-17 by the time the next lease is up).

We bring a lot of suitcases and stuff on our vacations - so much of that will have to be paired down. But no more wagons and things like that.

Yeah, to me the "moon roof" seems like a luxury I can live without. So, as a 6' tall man - you haven't had any issues with "headspace"? Maybe I just couldn't get the seat all the way down during my test drive. The salesman (who was shorter than me) didn't see all that concerned about it.

What are the pitfalls I should look for, regarding a non-hybrid, 6 cylinder 4WD Highlander?

I asked him about the Navigation system, and he said I'd be better off just getting one of those TomTom things and using that.

Do you feel the same?
  • Options
    snapcracklepopsnapcracklepop Member Posts: 111
    Sorry to jump in but which year Highlander were you looking at? From what I remember about them, they don't have the greatest leg room in the back seat. That could be tough with the kids getting bigger :-)

I don't think the nav systems that come with the cars are the best so I agree that you'd be better off buying one. I've personally had experience with the TomTom One and love the device. It's also a little cheaper than other models. If your looking for one with all the fancy gadgets, then you might want to look at the 910, which has text-to-speech, blue tooth, all that stuff.

None the less, the "moon roof" is a great call and I can't go against that request!
  • Options
    With the information that you've provided, I would recommend the HL V-6 without 3rd row (if you can find one). That third seat is worthless for anyone over the age of 10-12. (We have the third row since that was all that was available when we purchased, but don't use it. The 2 row V-6 was introduced a few months later.) The 2007 has side airbags standard. (A very nice safety feature that was a hard to find option in 2006.)

Also, unless you're north of I-80 or live in a big-hill or mountain area, the 2WD may be all that you need. We had two 4WD HLs and now enjoy the 2WD HL. The standard stability and traction control works great. We live on a cul-de-sac street that is more than a block long and is also a fairly steep hill. Not once did we have an issue through this past winter which included a lot of snow storms. The 2WD gets slightly better gas mileage and should be less to maintain over the years.

Part of that may be due to the Goodyear Forterra Triple Tread tires that I had swapped out the day after we purchased. Come to think of it, the tires did slip a few times on the way to Goodyear, but not on the way back.

We have taken two long distance trips (IA to AZ and IA to NC) with 4 adults and luggage. One passenger was 6'2" and still had plenty of headroom. We were all comfortable and the trips were very enjoyable. I'd suggest the trailer hitch to mount a bike rack or one of those caboose type truck units for the rare times you may require additional room.

Keep it simple and get the aftermarket NAV. I hope you enjoy the HL as much as we have. You're sure not to miss the squeaks and other associated noise that so many mini-vans have. (It must be really hard to get the same structural integrity in a mini-van (box on wheels) as in the HL.) We also love having a hood that can be seen in front of us.
  • Options
    dreamchaser321dreamchaser321 Member Posts: 24
    How much did you paid for your Highlander (including everything...tax, license, etc)? Was it a base 2WD V6?
  • Options
    Thanks for the further details, gasman1 and snapcracklepop.

I'm going to lease a brand new 07. My Mazda MPV ES goes off lease at the end of June. So that is when I have to do the switchover. I've done this twice already (from a '97 Dodge Caravan, to a 2000 Dodge Caravan to the '03 MPV).

The model the dealer showed and I test drove was the 4WD VL with the third row. I like the idea of having the extra seats but agree that they are probably only good in a pinch. As for legroom in the 2nd row, my kids are only 12 and 10, so they should fit fine.

I live in New York, so I need all the snow/rain/hill traction I can get. Plus, the wife seems to think we *have* to have 4WD for her to manage those snowy and rainy trecks to the kids school.

I have so much research to do . . .
  • Options
    Suspicions confirmed your dealer was blowing smoke as mine was. Trying to get us to jump on something before April 3rd. Somehow I could not see the rebate ending as the model year winds down. Although I had hoped for more than the $1,500, the rebate will continue to be $1,500 for the rest of the month of April at least.

My new HL should be housed here at my home by April 15th since it is now on its way from Japan. smile
  • Options
    nleedernleeder Member Posts: 9
    We paid $33,000 OUT THE DOOR - our car has Navigation and all the other bells and whistles. We are very pleased with it. We purchased at Miller Toyota in Manassas VA - Sam was our salesman.
  • Options
    We paid $33,000 OUT THE DOOR - our car has Navigation and all the other bells and whistles. We are very pleased with it. We purchased at Miller Toyota in Manassas VA - Sam was our salesman. not sure I posted in the proper position - sorry if it is a duplicate.
  • Options
    I'm glad that everyone interested in a HL will still be able to reap the benefits of the rebate. I went for the low financing as it was a little less expensive for me in the end. I ended up with the Limited model with leather and heated seats (-) the nav and dvd for 31,400 OTD. I knew that my dealer was blowing smoke, but for such a great price and a pretty decent offer on my trade-in, I couldn't resist. :shades:
  • Options
    Sounds good to me. Our HL in the Ocean is nearely the same as your without the navigation for about 2K less. It should be arriving in SF on or about the 8th.

We couldn't see a situation where the navigation system would be of any significant value to us. And that is why we had to order one since generally if they come "loaded" they include the navigation system. Hence we had to order one. And we are looking forward to firing it up.

Just curious what is the recommended "Break In" for the HL?
    Under a certain MPH and intermitent speeds for 500 miles or?????????
  • Options
    I couldn't see the use of the nav system or dvd either so I got one with everything else. There are plenty here in socal (at different dealerships) that are "loaded" without the electronic extras. I just had to shop around to get the best deal in the silver color.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "break in" for the HL, are you thinking limited highway driving, light acceleration?
  • Options
    The "Break In" to which I referred is the period just after you purchase a new vehicle. And they generally recommend that you drive in a certain manner. i.e. speed, changing speeds etc.
  • Options
    I've read various articles about it, and some are contradicting. I've been driving it normally, which for me is no sudden stops/starts, not staying at the same rpm for longer than a minute or 2, which in socal is easy to do with all the traffic, no cruise control (which I never use anyway,) and moderate braking to wear in the pads. The pistons and valves in the engine will set better this way, if driven hard for a bit, and then allowing the car to decelerate and varying the speed. I'm also changing out the oil at 500 miles, which I've read gets rid of all the metal shavings, fibers and junk that is worn off a new engine during break-in.
  • Options
    What you are saying makes sense. However, I was wondering what was in the owner's manual or if the Dealer told you anything about the "Break In".

Were both of these sources silent?
  • Options
    toyoconverttoyoconvert Member Posts: 6
    I don't have my 06 manual by my computer, but I recall it was just to avoid driving a constant speed for long periods and to avoid hard braking - I think for around 400 miles or so. I also recall reading that modern engines have very close tolerances and a lot of metal or gasket in the oil is not typical any longer. Honda actually requires that you do not change oil for 7500 miles the first time (we have an Odyssey too) due to special additives they use during the break in.

Anyway, just read your manual when you take delivery- I can't remember back to October!
  • Options
    silverltdsilverltd Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know if Toyota is offering any Highlander buying incentives or rebates for April?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Here is a list of the new incentives that Toyota is offering from April 3, 2007 through April 30, 2007, at least in our area.

2007 Corolla CE - $1,000 Rebate or 2.9% for 36 months, 3.9% for 48 months, 4.9% for 60 months.

2007 Corolla LE - $500 Rebate or 2.9% for 36 months, 3.9% for 48 months, 4.9% for 60 months.

2007 Matrix - $500 Rebate or 2.9% for 36 months, 3.9% for 48 months, 4.9% for 60 months.

2007 Solara Coupe - 2.9% for 36 months, 3.9% for 48 months, 4.9% for 60 months.

2007 Sienna - $1,500 Rebate or 0.0% for 36 months, 1.9% for 48 months, 2.9% for 60 months. There is also a 36 month lease special availble.

2007 Tacoma - 3.9% up to 60 months.

2007 Highlander - $1,500 Rebate or 0.0% for 36 months, 1.9% for 48 months, 2.9% for 60 months. There is also a 36 month lease special availble.

2007 Highlander Hybrid- $1,500 Rebate or 0.0% for 36 months, 1.9% for 48 months, 2.9% for 60 months. There is also a 36 month lease special availble.

2007 4Runner - $1,500 Rebate or 0.0% for 36 months, 2.9% for 48 months, 3.9% for 60 months. There is also a 36 month lease special availble.

2007 Sequoia - $2,000 Rebate or 1.9% for 36 months, 2.9% for 48 months, 3.9% for 60 months. There is also a 36 month lease special availble.

2007 Tundra - 3.9% for 36 months, 4.9% for 48 months, 5.9% for 60 months. There is also a 36 month lease special availble.
  • Options
    Thank you so much. That is exactly what I needed!
  • Options
    What is interesting when I look at my pending contract is that the Dealer charges Sales Tax on the Rebate. That does seem a little strange since I will paying sales tax on something that you didn't pay for.
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I suppose that is normal, when you buy an item in a store, say Circuit City, and use a mail-in rebate, you pay tax on the whole amount. I think, an instant rebate works the same, but not sure. However, when I have purchased cars with rebates over many years, in CA and AZ, the tax has always been figured on the "after rebate price" for me.

Perhaps you could post in the thread Stories from the sales front line it is frequented by sales folks. Maybe you can get a consensis from them.
  • Options
    Thanks, I will see if anyone has any thoughts on that thread.
  • Options
    State sales tax must depend on the state. I had to pay sales tax on rebates in MA, VA, IL, and MO. Now I'm in Iowa and don't pay sales tax on car rebates. The farmers must have complained... ;)
  • Options
    jenniferspencejenniferspence Member Posts: 9
    Hi, my husband and I aer looking at getting and 07 Highlander, and were wondering whether there might be rebates in May as well - should we rush to get it this month, or is it likely that the rebates will continue to appear over the next couple months? Just wanted to get everyone's sense of how often the rebates come around. Thanks!
  • Options
    I doubt that anyone on this board knows for sure, but here's my opinion. It's a gamble to bet that rebates will continue. If you bet on it, I wish you good luck. Toyota doesn't "normally" ofer rebates at this time of year. However, here are some dynamics to consider that may effect continued rebates.

a. This is the current generation HL's last model year.
    b. The on-again off-again #1 race with GM.
    c. Less expensive new models from competitors.
  • Options
    jjoslinjjoslin Member Posts: 6
    Hi group,

I am planning to get preapproved for 0% car financing (3 years) before I approach a dealer. I checked Toyotafinancial.com and it seems that they provide pre-approval service. I have few questions with regard to this process.
    1. Is there any benchmark available in terms of FICO score for such preapprovals? Do we know the credit agency from which Toyota requests credit scor? I heard that requirements for credit score are exceptionally high. My score is around 720.
    2. Would I automatically disqualify for $2000 rebates if I don't qualify for 0% financing?
    3. Can this combined with college graduate program ($400 rebate)
    4. Should I get prepproved from Toyota's website directly or go to a specific dealer and apply from there?
    Thank you for your guidance.
    joslin
  • Options
    oilpanoilpan Member Posts: 1
    HELPING MY DAD SEARCH FOR BEST DEAL LOOKING FOR THE HL LMT 4X4 V6 W/OPTION PKG B(DON'T NEED NAV SYST). ALSO THINKING OF ADDING RUNNING BOARDS & HOOD PROTECT. LOOKING IN N.JERSEY AREA. ANY SUGGESTIONS OR PRICE TO AIM FOR? SHOULD WE WAIT FOR 08? THANKS
  • Options
    chicago3chicago3 Member Posts: 13
    We're looking for a Highlander Hybrid LImited 4x4 with all options including Nav.

Does anyone have any pricing info that would help?
  • Options
    jaatjaat Member Posts: 14
    My apologies if I am using the wrong forum for my questions.

This weekend I got a deal from one the dealer for Highlander and wanted to take some opinions from the experts out here in this forum.

It is a 2006 2 WD, White Color 3.3-liter Highlander with almost 32K miles on it. It have leather seats, third row seat, Moon Roof and JBL sound system.

Dealer bought it from some Rental Car Company. KBB Retail Price for the above vehicle is $26500 and dealer is asking for $19995 + 10% fee (Tax, Title and document etc.). He said till last week, ticket price for the vehicle was $26995 and they reduced it as it is in their lot from last 40 days.

I was surfing the net and talked to some people and I was advised to negotiate for almost 25% of what is the ticket price for a used vehicle from a dealer.

Now how much should I negotiate on $19995? What can be the closest value for this highlander?

Thanks in Advance !!!
  • Options
    chicago3chicago3 Member Posts: 13
    In another forum the host briefly mentions the type of commuting style that will most benefit from hybrid driving.

We are leaning toward a highlander limited (per the post above) but I was wondering if there is indeed a driving profile that is best suited for the hybrid.

We travel about 5-8 miles each way, but stop and go traffic that rarely gets above 25-30 mph. I was assuming we'd see a mpg savings, am I wrong because of the short driving distance??
  • Options
    someotherguysomeotherguy Member Posts: 1
    We're looking to purchase a new Highlander Hydrid Limited and a dealer we just visited had a new 2006 model still on the lot. What type of discount should I expect to get on a car like this given that the 2008 models are just around he corner?

I appreciate any insights that anyone can provide on this. Thanks!
  • Options
    randy50randy50 Member Posts: 15
    I am in Mclean and planning to take Hybrid. Can you please Give all options what you got. I think you got very good deal. Did you get Limited/Base, 4X4/2,leather/cloth?

Please provide all information and i am newbie in Hybrid market.
  • Options
    I found two dealers to be better than others. The dealer on Rt 7 west of tysons right at the toll road and Miller in Manassas. We paid 33,000 out the door - and that was with only $1.000 rebate. If I could have gotten that deal at Tysons, I would probably do it since Manassas is well.....it's MANASSAS! That works for us though, we drop it on our way out of town to Lake Anna and pick it up on the way back into town. Hybrid becomes a better deal with the larger rebate ($1500) and if the tax credit is still available. We are very pleased with our car and have no regrets.
  • Options
    I got leather, 4x4, upgraded sound, sunroof, larger wheel, Navigation, I think every option available except for the DVD.
  • Options
    peatnickpeatnick Member Posts: 26
    Sloan Toyota Philly Area
    Used Internet Sales Dept.
    Only Option =Pkge 2
    Sticker $39.5K
    Invoice Price $35.3K
    Cash Rebate $1.5K
    6% Tax on $33.8K
    About $150 title and licence
    $36K out the door
    Actually putting money where mouth is on envirnment = priceless :D
  • Options
    randy50randy50 Member Posts: 15
    Thank you very much. I will go to Mclean Koons first this weekend i will ask same price with 0% APR. think i dont need 4X4.I will negotiate that one also :confuse: :confuse:
  • Options
    aerosnowaerosnow Member Posts: 13
    Just picked up my 2007 Silver Limited for $33,000 out the door with the 7/100/$0 Platinum warranty at Star-Toyota Bayside queens.

One of the best buying experiences ever.

Thanks to everyone in the forum!
  • Options
    I owned a 2001 Highlander Limited and my husband owned a 2003 Highlander Limited. Due to illness, my husband can't drive anymore so we wanted to look into the feasibility of trading in both Highlanders for one new 2007 Highlander Limited.

We went to Glen Toyota in Fair Lawn, NJ (Bergen County). We have purchased all of our Toyotas from them and have always had a positive experience. In this case, our salesman and the sales manager bent over backwards to help us with our situation---they were understanding and treated my husband with dignity. They made it simple and a financial a "no brainer"---the $1500 rebate also helped.

I know that we can't include specific names or contact information in our posts, but for anyone in the NY/NJ area, I can't say enough good things about Glen Toyota in Fair Lawn, NJ. :)
  • Options
    montecristomontecristo Member Posts: 11
    07 Highlander Hybrid Limited with Navigation & 3rd row.
    $39,148 out the door. I think I got a decent deal.
  • Options
    mg2105mg2105 Member Posts: 3
    I've been reading these forums and researching and have decided to go with the HL V6 FWD. The particular one with the options I desire has an MSRP of $28,905 plus $224 dealer fees. Just wondering if anyone has a guess as to what kind of price I should expect now that all HL's have the $2K cash back.
    Base-$25,940
    Fuel Surcharge-$16.00
    8-way power driver seat-$410.00
    Daytime running lights-$40.00
    Value Package 5-$1,175.00
    Tow Prep Package-$160.00
    Carpet Mats/Cargo Mat-$245.00
    Manuf Delv, Proc Handling-$695.00
    Thanks in advance!!
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    That's what the Edmunds site is for! Go compute the cost here on this site and print it out. You should try to pay invoice less the $2000 rebate and less the apprx. $750 holdback. Hope this helps.