Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series Tires and Wheels

12346»

Comments

• Options
    fomentarfomentar Member Posts: 49
    I've recently purchased a 2008 335xi coupe, 35K miles. The alloy wheels have some oxidation/pitting. I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions on how to restore them or improve their appearance, other than a wheel refurbishment. I welcome your thoughts/suggestions.
  • Options
    newbie26newbie26 Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking to replace OEM Bridgestone run flats with something that balances 95% "normal" driving with occasional spirited stints and an annual trip to the track. ("Reasonable" ride/treadwear without totally compromising performance) I'd like to stay away from the RF's, especially Bridgestones given reviews and my own experience. Per tire rack reviews, Continental DW's were well-rated, although they are back ordered/unavailable. By phone they recommended Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports. Reviews show a wide array of opinions: love em or hate em. The Michelin PS2's seem to have a fairly consistent positive rating. Any opinions? I'd hate to have 15-20,000 miles worth of buyers remorse over saving a couple hundred bucks. Appreciated.

I have 17" winter wheels/Blizzaks so I imagine that could work in a pinch as a spare.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,316
    the Potenza 760s seem to have a reputation as the best "budget" tire... without dropping down to the bargain basement brands.. Of course, "budget" is a relative term...

I've never heard anyone complain about the PS2, though... Those would be my choice... with your money.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    mulligan7mulligan7 Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2011
    Would love some advice for my 2009 328xi. Caught a nail in a run flat and the tire shop says it cannot be repaired. since I have awd w/ 23k I will need to replace all four tires. I'm thinking of going w/go flats as they are $600 cheaper.

I was thinking of buying a 5th wheel & tire and just throwing the thing in the trunk. Any other options beside 4 new run flats?

Any chance my old 2002 80km "spare" would work in a pinch?

Butmywife
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    If I was to buy a car with RFTs and no spare I'd change the rubber to GFTs and equip my trunk with one of these:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=38
  • Options
    There is a chance your old spacesaver spare would work... If you buy the GFTs, take it with you, and have the tire store try it out to see.... E46 and E90 offsets are different, but with a spacesaver, it may not make a diffference..

If the offset is okay, then brake clearance will be the other issue..

As far as size, if your spacesaver is from a 3-series BMW, then tire diameter has remained constant for quite some time.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thanks to Shipo and Kyfdx for great suggestions! Interestingly, Costco won't sell GFTs for a car that doesn't have a spare so I'll look at Les Schwab (West Coast only?), Goodyear and Firestone. Am I missing any options here?
    My divorce w/ RFTs is imminent but not amicable.

ButMyWife
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Did you really verify that Costco policy on GFTs? I never heard of such a thing. I mean, they would really turn down $$$ ??? Seems very odd to me. :confuse:
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    edited May 2011
    My 2010 Chevy Malibu (no, I didn't to choose it - it's a company car :) ) came from the factory with go-flats and no spare. Instead of a spare, it came with a contraption similar to the Conti Kit that Shipo linked above.

I seriously doubt anyone would refuse to sell me tires for it.
  • Options
    Costco, Sams and Walmart are all very sticky about tires.... If the computer says no, it's no...

The closest tire dealer to my house is a local chain.. Asked them to put a couple tires on the rear... "Are they used? If so, we can't do it." Which is pain, because my local independent isn't open on Saturdays...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I had the same experience. Over the phone the employee at Costco used his computer to match possible tires and said they could only sell me RFTs.
  • Options
    If I remember correctly, the wheels on my 2002 325xi were 16" so I assume the spacesaver spare was too. My 2009 has 17" wheels but I like your suggestion of giving it a go when I buy the RFTs.

Anybody out there know if Les Schwab tires are any good? There after-purchase service is excellent.

ButMyWife
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Ah I get it. Once again, the machine overcomes common sense---okay, I sense the presence of a corporate lawyer behind the curtain!
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    I've got a certain independent Mom-and-Pop tire shop in mind for all my future work. Discount Tires now dictates where they'll put the new tires (on the rear, BTW, if you buy "only" 2 instead of 4) and whether they'll repair a slow leak. "This tire is worn out. We won't repair it."

Fine.

I'll find someone who will.

Besides which, they'll be willing to mount and balance my Tire Rack purchases.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    Me too; my shop charges $15 per tire to mount and balance and they gladly mount my Tire Rack purchases...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

This discussion has been closed.